Nissan engines

• Thread starter Jay
  • 101 comments
Has anyone wondered what the names of nissan engines meant like why call an engine SR20DET?? Well i have, ive been searching and i found this:

D - DOHC, Variable Valve Timing, or Direct Injection
E - Electronic Fuel Injection
I - Throttle Body Fuel Injection
S - Electronic Controlled Carburetor
R - Supercharged
T - Turbocharged
TT - Twin-Turbocharged
V - Variable Valve Timing with Lift

I think the first two letters dont count and are just names of a type of engine like SR, RB, GA etc.. and the numbers after indicate engine size like 20 means 2 litre.
So RB28DETT means it is an 2.8 litre RB engine with double overhead cams, electronic fuel injection and a twin turbo.
Is that right?:D

Wow thread revival

*I hate reading my old noobish posts* :lol:

Slick Rick
So RB28DETT means it is an 2.8 litre RB engine with double overhead cams, electronic fuel injection and a twin turbo.
Is that right?:D

Yes that is right, the only RB28DETT's are Nismo engines like in the 400R (RBX) or R34 Z-tune (Z2)(Which I don't think the factory even acknowledges them as RB28DETT) or aftermarket stroker kits.

Slick Rick
Oh sh**! 2 years! i never noticed, i just searched and posted.

Never mind thats what I made the thread for in the first place, Nissan engine discussions. :)

SR20DE is the baby i've got in my 2001 Sentra SE. I love it. Very strong, but a little weak in the lower ranges....would love to turbo it, but don't want to toss the money into my daily driver like that.

i dont think a turbo would help much in the lower ranges because of the lag. What about a simple, cheap induction kit. That would help a bit.
Oh yea Happy Gilmore RULES!!!!

TwinTurboJay
SR20DE is the baby i've got in my 2001 Sentra SE. I love it. Very strong, but a little weak in the lower ranges....would love to turbo it, but don't want to toss the money into my daily driver like that.

My mum has a N15 Pulsar with a GA16DE that I drive from time to time, the GA16DE also feels weak at lower revs but picks up 'ok' at higher RPM's (the Intake cam phasing VVT probably helps), I wish it was a SR20DE model, I would love to feel the difference (never driven a non-turbo SR20).

VIPERGTSR01
I wish it was a SR20DE model, I would love to feel the difference (never driven a non-turbo SR20).
I think the SR20DE version is called the Almera GTI here in Europe. I have an Almera too, its a GA14DE though:indiff: In first gear its a constant pull but in second and third you can feel it pick up quite a bit at the higher revs, its still slow though especially when other people are in the car, it makes a HUGE difference:grumpy:

Slick Rick
I think the SR20DE version is called the Almera GTI here in Europe. I have an Almera too, its a GA14DE though:indiff: In first gear its a constant pull but in second and third you can feel it pick up quite a bit at the higher revs, its still slow though especially when other people are in the car, it makes a HUGE difference:grumpy:

SR20DE N15 models here was sold as Pulsar SSS, I dont think the GA14DE was offered here (well atleast I haven't seen any) and I know the diesel wasn't offered here either.

Even better I would love to drive a N15 Pulsar VZ-R N1 with the hot SR16VE.

Too little torque on that one... an SR20VE is much more entertaining.

And no, the DE isn't weak, the newer Sentra and Sunny (both the B15 and N15 / N16) are just too darn heavy. :lol: Just ask me, I jumped ship at Nissan after our B14 (which was on the porky side compared to the good old B13.

C'mon, anyone wanna trade crappy engine stories? My only current Nissan (a Pulsar pickup) has a carburated GA16DE that feels like it's only got 60 horses left of the original 100 or so. :lol: Good thing it's got a short tranny. As soon as this baby bites the dust, in goes a VTC-equipped ECCS unit with about 115.

With an 800 kg body, a short transmission (try topping at 80 km/h in second), a healthy engine and some good headwork, she'll make a pretty sweet work car.

niky
And no, the DE isn't weak, the newer Sentra and Sunny (both the B15 and N15 / N16) are just too darn heavy. :lol: Just ask me, I jumped ship at Nissan after our B14 (which was on the porky side compared to the good old B13.

Well my N15 is about 1035-1090kg which isnt too heavy but when its only got a 1.4 litre engine producing only 80hp you could call that underpowered:indiff:
Like i said earlier, it makes a BIG difference with people in the car.

My first car was a truck,KA24E 2.4 litre nissan ( 1987 ) king cab. wicked ass dual spark plugs!! !!!11!!!!

It was a great little truck...I lowered it, painted it yellow and had a black racing stripe on it...looked pretty damn good. The engine had 455'000 km's by the time I rolled the truck in 1997. *sigh* poor truck

RE: GA14DE: Don't doubt it... I was talking about TwinTurboJay's car.

I've had a GA13i up to 180+ km/h once (the needle read 190, but needles always lie) with four on board, but that was a B14 with steelies, no sound insulation and very little in terms of kit (think manual windows... on a 2000' car, of all things). Yup, weight makes a lot of difference... :lol: If that were an N15 or N16 with the same engine and four up, it wouldn't even get halfway up the on-ramp. :lol:

I've had my little sentra up to 205 km/h on the highway, took a little while and had to shut the windows and sunroof. The stupid bra I had on my car was acting like a parachute too, only the straps were touching the car.

Don't doubt it... those SRs breathe nicely when you get up to speed. Thought all the newer ones had limiters, though... or did they take those off?

Still, it's sad when an engine good for a seven second car is loaded down to the high eights or mid-nines by increasing weight. Heck, I look at my 2.0 and I often wonder how fast she'll go if I leave a few things at home... like the spare, the back seats, the rear wing, the sunroof mechanism (and the sunroof, too), the AC... :lol:

I skimmed through all 4 pages and no talk about the VQ motor. It's won 10 years straight for best design by Wards.

I will start first by showing a couple of pics of a swap I did on my car 1996 Maxima and now is becoming very popular in the US. And now their swaping them in Sentra Spec V's..:)

Pics found here:http://members.cardomain.com/japmax96
People who think it would be heavy. Here is a picture of how much it weighed:
http://img257.echo.cx/img257/1109/dscf00748rs.jpg

4thgen maximas 1995-1999 with the 3.5 found in the 5thgen and 6thgen (2002-2006) Have posted 1/4 mile times from 14.1 - to a more commonly number of 13.4 in the 1/4. With a little weight reduction and tuning 12's easy.

Spec-V Sentras are running High 12's with the VQ35DE. Sick if you ask me.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/Crazyj1578/VQswap10.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/Crazyj1578/VQswap11.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/Crazyj1578/VQswap15.jpg

Last but not least a VIDEO of the Sentra Spec-V
with VQ35DE at the Track.
http://www.fi-r.net/images2/VQSwapFiles/13.00@112mph.wmv

If you have any questions feel free to ask. :)

Indeed, why the VQ series of V6's hasn't been discussed is beyond me. I've had 2 Maximas with the VQ30DE and 1 240SX with the KA24DE and I prefer the VQ obviously. The VQ30DETT in the 300ZX was no joke, it put out gobs power just like the Supra, 3000GT, and RX7...yet almost no one ever talks about the Z from that generation. :grumpy:

The Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. announced the name of the new 5th, generation “VQ”

Name of the new generation VQ engine, in case of 3.5 liters in aerodynamic volume displacement, becomes “VQ35HR”. “High revolution” (High Revolution) and “prominent accelerator response ” HR means(High Response)

NISSAN announced the following specifications:

- New design cylinder block. The rudder frame was added, rigidity was raised substantially.
- Left and right complete symmetrical inhalation and exhalation air system
- Decreasing the friction worldwide first hydrogen free DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) with coating.
- Setting electromagnetism VTC on exhaust cam side in addition to the oil pressure VTC of air inlet cam side.
- Isometric exhaust manifold

Here is a link with the upcomming cars that will be equiped with this motor.
http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/news/products/20060712121701.shtml

This same engine will power the new GTR either in 3.2TT form or 3.7 TT.

VQ History:
1 VQ20DE
2 VQ23DE
3 VQ25DE
4 VQ25DD
5 VQ25DET
6 VQ30DD
7 VQ30DE
8 VQ30DET
9 VQ30DETT
10 VQ30DE-K
11 VQ35DE
12 VQ35HR
13 VQ40DE

JCE3000GT
The VQ30DETT in the 300ZX was no joke, it put out gobs power just like the Supra, 3000GT, and RX7...yet almost no one ever talks about the Z from that generation. :grumpy:

Actually The 300ZX engine was a VG30DETT, not VQ.

VQ30DETT was/is used in JGTC/Super GT racing only.

JCE3000GT
Indeed, why the VQ series of V6's hasn't been discussed is beyond me.

I haven't done much work on VQ's so I never really brought it up, I have on VG's though and I did start discussing the VG30DET here in this thread.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1001714&postcount=45

Over 2 years ago.

Now Nissan's main engine is VQ and the upcominng GTR will be VQ its a great time to discuss.

Viper is right.... it is indeed the VG30DETT. Fine engine they are, cop a bit of bad press from certain publications in Australia *cough*HPI*cough*....

I'll admit that they can be a real pain to do some of the simplest of maintenance tasks, but they are a good solid engine. They are a tad too big and heavy as well... especially compared to the VQ... but that’s part of evolution I guess....

Anyway, enough with this modern fancy technologically advanced engines.... lets talk L series... :lol:

(I may laugh out loud but I really love these old donks... I've got one that haunts me all the time with it's myriad of problems in it's ripe old age of 24)

Syntax error
Anyway, enough with this modern fancy technologically advanced engines.... lets talk L series... :lol:

(I may laugh out loud but I really love these old donks... I've got one that haunts me all the time with it's myriad of problems in it's ripe old age of 24)

Sure feel free to talk L series, any Nissan engine discussion is welcome here.

QR25DE goes under great tourqey engine, that doesnt last to long .......
2834.jpg

SR20VE is a great nissan motor, which is one of the few motors with a small amount of torque.
neo6.jpg

VK56DE is an underated truck motor, which is used in the Armada, Titan, and QX56. The horsepower and torque rating increased for 2007 to 317hp, 385lbs/trq.
VK56DE.jpg

I was wondering, why do all the japanese sr20dets on ebay have 40-60 thousand miles on them. I wanted to buy one for my nissan nx 1600 and swap it out but why are the miles all the same. Is that like a major wear period?

Nice pictures RobcioPL 👍

Lamboracer
I was wondering, why do all the japanese sr20dets on ebay have 40-60 thousand miles on them. I wanted to buy one for my nissan nx 1600 and swap it out but why are the miles all the same. Is that like a major wear period?

No they just don't clock up all that many miles in Japan, even most full cars that get imported it is rare for any of them to have over 100 thousand km's (60 thousand miles) on them and when they do its considered a high milage car, even though its not really for their age. Most cars and engines that are 5+ years old tend to be around the 40-60 thousand mile mark.

VIPERGTSR01
My mum has a N15 Pulsar with a GA16DE that I drive from time to time, the GA16DE also feels weak at lower revs but picks up 'ok' at higher RPM's (the Intake cam phasing VVT probably helps), I wish it was a SR20DE model, I would love to feel the difference (never driven a non-turbo SR20).
pulsars are nice :D a gti-r turned up at one of our rolling road day,owner claimed only mods were a fmic and the boost was upped

:lol: at the dyno graph

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-5434509967025965972

VIPERGTSR01
Actually The 300ZX engine was a VG30DETT, not VQ.

I know, I have no idea why I wrote VQ, :nervous: I meant VG. Still, goes without saying that seems the VG is the forgotten engine series. :ill:

Lamboracer

In Japan they really dont have the space like we do in the US to drive to far places.

the S15 with a VVT-i and a ball bearing T28 turbo, u can tell if the sr20 has VVT-i by the slant in the back of the cover, also i believe all blacktops were VVT-i

its called NEO-VVT, its just cam timing, nothing special.

the only problem with making a RB30DETT is that the bottom end (block) is taller, which makes the engine sit higher

whered you hear that? thats not right. the RB30 block is just a different bore and stroke. when someone makes an RB30DETT, theyre just using an 26 head on an RB30E block.

The only SR20 with Variable valve is the SR20VE from the Primera(JDM G20). Also the SR16VE(Sunny VZ-R, Pulsar VZ-R), SR16VE-N1(Pulsar VZ-R N1) and the RB26. Not any of the SR20DETs

ok, Nissan has 2 different variable valve systems

VVT: just changes cam timing. very mediocre. this came on the S14 and S15 SR20DET, and the S15 SR20DE. it also came on the R33 and R34 RB25DET, and RB25DE.

VVL: this is like VTEC, it has 2 different cam profiles, and at a specified RPM it changes. this is a very brilliant system. Nissan has pulled it off MUCH better than Honda. the SR20VE in the P11 Primera has 187hp with VVL. and the SR20VE in the P12 Primera has 205hp.

Nissan also makes a VVL based SR20VET. it is used in the X-Trail GT in japan. it makes 280hp.

Note: The BNR32 RB26DETT engine did NOT have VVT. That feature wasn't added until 1996 during the second year of production of the R33 GTR.

Also another corrected not a single RB motor came with ceramic compressor wheels or shafts. They came with ceramic tubine wheels, steel shafts and steel wheels during the R32 production. In the R33 production the RB25DET motor in the series II went to a polymer or plastic compressor wheel. Thats right PLASTIC ! It still had a steel T25 shaft as always. The R33 also BONDED the ceramic turbine wheel onto the steel shafts. Why I have no idea.

everything you said here is complete BS.

none of the RB26 engines had VVL or VVT.

all of the Standard-trim GTRs had Ceramic turbine wheels, and Steel compressor wheels. the only change was that the R34 got ballbearing shafts.

the N1 trim level got steel turbines and compressors. and again the R34 was ballbearing.

no idea where you guys are getting this ****ty info from

Back