Official Playstation Store Thread

I bought Q-Bert (for a stroll down memory lane), and noticed that Sony charged me a 6.6% tax. What tax is this for? Shouldn't it be tax free unless Sony Store owns property in my state, and if that was the case, the sales tax should have been 8.25%.

So does anyone know what this 6.6% tax is for? Thanks.

I bought Q-Bert (for a stroll down memory lane), and noticed that Sony charged me a 6.6% tax. What tax is this for? Shouldn't it be tax free unless Sony Store owns property in my state, and if that was the case, the sales tax should have been 8.25%.

So does anyone know what this 6.6% tax is for? Thanks.

Internet tax, and it's state imposed. Just like Best Buy has an "internet tax" if I order online, since I'm in Kansas.

Where do you live?

Internet tax, and it's state imposed. Just like Best Buy has an "internet tax" if I order online, since I'm in Kansas.
I am aware of that, and already mentioned that our sales tax here is 8.25% - not 6.6%

Where do you live?
Texas.

I buy a lot of products online, and the tax laws are quite clear, unless the company you are buying from has a store, office, or warehouse in the state you live in, you do not pay any sales tax. If they do, then you pay the sales tax rate in the area you live. In my case, the sales tax is 8.25%

The reason this is the case is that Internet commerce falls under the 1992 Supreme Court decision that decided that mail-order retailers do not have to collect sales taxes for sales into states where they did not have a physical presence.

While every once in a while some members of Congress have considered implementing an internet tax, each time they do they are met with heavy opposition.

It appears this mysterious 6.6% tax is something entirely different, the question remains though, what is it for?

It sounds like some kind of import tax, but this too makes no sense as I have also bought products from Japanese and Asian companies and have never paid any taxes.

Who here has bought anything off the PS3's Sony Store, and what was the tax you were charged?

Texas.

I buy a lot of products online, and the tax laws are quite clear, unless the company you are buying from has a store, office, or warehouse in the state you live in, you do not pay any sales tax. If they do, then you pay the sales tax rate in the area you live. In my case, the sales tax is 8.25%

Who here has bought anything off the PS3's Sony Store, and what was the tax you were charged?

I'm not sure why it was 6.6% instead of 8.25% but you were charged sales tax because there are Sony Stores in Texas, I know there is one in Dallas.

I have bought from Sony online & not been charged taxes but there are no Sony stores in Oklahoma.

I'm not sure why it was 6.6% instead of 8.25% but you were charged sales tax because there are Sony Stores in Texas, I know there is one in Dallas.
You are correct about the Sony Style stores, I didn't realize they had opened any in Texas. Now what remains a mystery is why 6.6%... although I guess I shouldn't complain. :)

This makes me wonder though, if you registered a user name using an address from a state that has no sales tax, then you wouldn't ever have to pay any sales tax for the programs you purchase for download. Although I suspect Sony confirms your real address through your credit card number... and besides, that would be bad karma. :)

I am aware of that, and already mentioned that our sales tax here is 8.25% - not 6.6%

Texas.

The reason this is the case is that Internet commerce falls under the 1992 Supreme Court decision that decided that mail-order retailers do not have to collect sales taxes for sales into states where they did not have a physical presence.

While every once in a while some members of Congress have considered implementing an internet tax, each time they do they are met with heavy opposition.

It appears this mysterious 6.6% tax is something entirely different, the question remains though, what is it for?

It sounds like some kind of import tax, but this too makes no sense as I have also bought products from Japanese and Asian companies and have never paid any taxes.

Maybe its just an Illinois thing, but on my income tax forms it said that you're supposed to pay the state sales tax on the total amount of your online purchases. "I" didn't buy anything online.

Def jam icon. hmm , not my cup of tea. maybe next time EA will get it right. Gameplay is waay too slow. Fight Night type graphics and display less. At least it downloaded in less than 10min.

Def jam icon. hmm , not my cup of tea. maybe next time EA will get it right. Gameplay is waay too slow. Fight Night type graphics and display less. At least it downloaded in less than 10min.

...And compared to the 360 version, it has many more jaggies (the X360 version has nearly none) and worse lighting. And you can't see the background shake to your own music. :indiff:

Duċk;2603651
...And compared to the 360 version, it has many more jaggies (the X360 version has nearly none) and worse lighting.
Is this from what you have personally seen from playing both, or from a review you read?

this has nothing to do with the PS3, consider its from EA developers, who are lazy and love to port games. This is the reason I won't buy games that made for 360 then simply port to the PS3, even with GTA4, if I smell a lame port, I won't buy it,same goes for Assassin Creed.

Hopefully gamespot won't do another one of their stupid PS3 vs 360 graphics comparison.

this has nothing to do with the PS3, consider its from EA developers, who are lazy and love to port games. This is the reason I won't buy games that made for 360 then simply port to the PS3,

I'm tired of the 360 ports. I hope they start designing for the PS3 first and then level down for the 360. With HDMI, you can see all of the flaws very clearly, including the jaggies.

I downloaded Minna no Golf 5. It is hawt. I have no idea what the characters are saying, but damn, it's fun. :)

Duċk;2604005
The former.
Thanks. Could you pause the game at the same spot for both versions and take a pic. I'm curious to see the difference in 'jaggies' you spoke of.

I'm tired of the 360 ports. I hope they start designing for the PS3 first and then level down for the 360. With HDMI, you can see all of the flaws very clearly, including the jaggies.

I downloaded Minna no Golf 5. It is hawt. I have no idea what the characters are saying, but damn, it's fun. :)

Is that something new from the Japan Store? Ah, yes. Cool, downloading it now.

What else is new there? I haven't been there since GTHD.

Is that something new from the Japan Store?
Besides Japan and the US, has anyone setup different accounts for Canada, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Taiwan.

Do they each get their own SonyStore for those regions? Or as I suspect is the case, there are currently only two SonyStores, one for North America, and one for APAC (Asian-Pacific), or at least, the content is only different for those two regions.

As a secondary account in order to get the early release of GT:HD, I settup a Hong Kong account (Hard_Boild_92 - HK film fans will recognize it :) ), and the "Everybody's Golf 5" demo is available there.

Its great that you can get demo's from all around the world, and they all work out of region right?

I'm guessing they're will be a European Store that will have European games only? If so, I'll set up a third account for Europe.

Any who wants to create a JPN account can look through detail instructions here:

http://www.freewebs.com/buggie66/index.html
I just checked that site out and have to ask, why would anyone set it up in a language they do not understand? I set up my HK account and selected english for my language of choice. It gives you the same access to all the files on that Sony Store, but all the interface and menus are in English.

he he, I was kinda rush, I didn't know they have Hotshot Goft on HK account too, but you know, it's nice to have a account in a country where the PS3 is originally from. :embarrassed:

Duċk;2603651
...And compared to the 360 version, it has many more jaggies (the X360 version has nearly none) and worse lighting. And you can't see the background shake to your own music. :indiff:

Thankfully, games like MotorStorm, GT: HD, and more recently, Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, pretty much decimate a large selection of 360 titles in one fell swoop, for everything (textures, lighting, polycount, geometry, animation, etc etc etc).

BUt let's not talk about that, let's discuss a port from a company who's track record for ports is worse than crack heads on lie detectors.

Looks like I may need three accounts too. But I would assume the EU store would be similar to the US one?

Back