ORCA Alfa Z-Cup - Special Event Time Trial - Fuji TZ2

• Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 139 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally going to be able to get serious about the time trial aspect in the next few days, and will be posting splits both here and in the WRS thread, like Tim's doing. Doing a great job keeping things moving and clear, Tim! đź‘Ť

I banged out a dream lap yesterday...dream for me anyway. Tried for another 10 or so and only got within a tenth. Gonna have to make some adjustments to the car but I can't see me going much faster. :nervous:

Bob finally got my new Alfa up to full power and I tried the suggested tune on it - Boy does it feel different! Did a bit of work last night on my times and I am faster but just cannot get a clean lap! Hopefully I'll get some more track time tonight to get used to the feel of the car.

Very nice times there Johnny. Now what's the secret? :)
I can see a couple of tenths in the first sector but you're over half a second up on me.
Second sector I keep mucking up my braking points so I'm good for the entry to 100R but then muck up the hairpin or the other way round.

Not sure if this will help anyone, but thought I'd post. It's specific to the tune above which opens up 1st gear to be used on the track. Stock first gear is basically ignored...

Couple of tips I've uncovered for those using Kevin's tune, which may work for you (they may not!)

1.) Use 1st gear for turn 1 and the penultimate turn to slow the car down. I hit 23.999 doing this with a prior best in the 24.1 range. The penultimate turn is the very sharply tightening left hander which has no obvious braking point - this will allow you to hit the apex better, which is crucial or the lap is ruined.
2.) Use 2nd gear for that Dunlop fast-right, briefly, til you hit 80mph and then mash it and don't take too much curb. This is all about lining the car up and slowing it down/getting it turned
3.) 3rd gear for 100R part way round the turn, but lift in 4th well before the red braking line mid way round, coast for 1 second, then part throttle and up to 3rd gear, maintaining ~ 97mph - you need to apex this late or you'll lose tonnes of speed and that speed cannot be maintained any other way.

A fairly immediate shift to 2nd gear is required whenever 1st is used, it's for slowing down/positioning and not acceleration, though you can use it for around 2 seconds if you want.

Works for me!

Grrr. Tried twice now and my PS3 has frozen starting my second lap.
Hope this isn't a sign of impending doom.

Grrr. Tried twice now and my PS3 has frozen starting my second lap.
Hope this isn't a sign of impending doom.

Kill the ghost. You have a "bad" ghost that is causing the freeze. Don't load it back up because it will never stop freezing. This happens every once in a great while. You can still view the ghost replay, but you can't use it on track.

I'm giving it a 95% chance that's the issue.

Thanks for this Tim. I'll give this a go tomorrow (It's 11:30 and it's work in the morning).
In the meantime, here is some appropriate music...

Sweet song. Love it. :lol: :lol: Now I'm waiting for the "Weird Al" version.

Switched to another Alfa with chassis rigidity installed (but only 60 miles on it). 15 laps, 4 clean at most, one decent. Updated splits.

Switched to another Alfa with chassis rigidity installed (but only 60 miles on it). 15 laps, 4 clean at most, one decent. Updated splits.

Nice jump... I'll have to try a car with the rigidity upgrade myself. I generally don't care for them, but I could see where this car would benefit.

Ok. Who installed a talent wall at Fuji? :)
I keep hitting it - I can nail the first sector most times but the second sector is troublesome. That said, I'm still working on my driving lines and I am enjoying the challenge.

New splits: 23.988 and 36.590.
Not my fastest sector two but like I say, I'm working on it.

The googledocs submission seems to be case sensitive. I submitted some times last night from my phone but my username was in lowercase and the system seems to have ignored them.

RDAardvark
Ok. Who installed a talent wall at Fuji? :)
I keep hitting it - I can nail the first sector most times but the second sector is troublesome. That said, I'm still working on my driving lines and I am enjoying the challenge.

New splits: 23.988 and 36.590.
Not my fastest sector two but like I say, I'm working on it.

The googledocs submission seems to be case sensitive. I submitted some times last night from my phone but my username was in lowercase and the system seems to have ignored them.

Yes the processing I do with the form results to get the latest entry only is case sensitive it seems. Also a trailing space can mess it up. I could/should probably work around that.

Nice T1. I tried to beat my time earlier with no luck. I was up thru T2 twice, but my ghost still nipped me at the line. The final "secret" sector is a major factor in the lap.

When the week is done always good to look at other's replays. I'll post mine. Cool to load it up next to yours in data logger and compare. Of course if you are PAL you can't load a NTSC replay and visa versa.

I can post mine on YouTube also and will capture a few others on request.

Out of a 14 lap run, 3 were clean.
Finally getting there with sector two and my splits put me in the unrealistic position of being 0.3 of a second behind yuri. Unknown territory for me. Now to get that last sector right.

Latest splits 24.090 and 35.858.

RDAardvark
Out of a 14 lap run, 3 were clean.
Finally getting there with sector two and my splits put me in the unrealistic position of being 0.3 of a second behind yuri. Unknown territory for me. Now to get that last sector right.

Latest splits 24.090 and 35.858.

Sweet splits. I'll get the doc fixed today.

What's fun is wait until you see how well you race this track now. Not just in this car but just about any car at fuji. All those laps will pay off. You are primed for the WRS now. :sly:

Update: Another setup has surfaced in the WRS thread, this time by a D1-gold guy (who is racing in the special event) and it's getting good reviews. I think the major change is in the transmissions. Going to try it today and hop I can catch Yuri.

This is the setup I'm using, baseline is from Kevin đź‘Ť , the major improvement is on the gearbox, I hope to fine tune it a bit before monday:

Aero 15/35
LSD 5/20/5
Brakes 8/10
10/-35
10.0/6.0
7/3
4/1
5/2
2.0/1.0
0.20/-0.20

Gearbox:
Final gear ratio to 3500, later set max speed to 230 km/h and later ...
F3000
max speed top right 250 km/h

Last edited:
I tried it, and liked it. đź‘Ť

My bests are .2 better in both T1 and T2, but can't seem to pair those with a sweet T3 like this lap had.

I haven't been able to play at all in the past several days. I've only just gotten a chance to run my second session, about a dozen laps. I wish I had more time commit, but I don't know If I'll get a chance to drive again before the end. Work has been very busy. Time to go to sleep.

S1: 23.853
S2: 35.479

Marcus Garvey
S1: 23.853
S2: 35.479

Sweet splits. You're fast!! Shame your not racing with us in the event. You'd give the WRS d1 guys a run for their money.

Thank you for the kind words. I wish I had more time to run this; I've only been able to run two sittings for a total of maybe 18 laps with this combination. If I can get another chance to sit down with the game I'll give it another go before the deadline, but I'm not sure that will happen. I may need instruction as to how to post my replay if the time comes, as I've never done that before. I'm sure I could figure it out, though.

Hey guys, good luck.đź‘Ť
Just lurking around to see what the ORCA guys are capable of.:sly:

Try Ramons new tune, it's great.
This is the setup I'm using, baseline is from Kevin đź‘Ť , the major improvement is on the gearbox, I hope to fine tune it a bit before monday:

Aero 15/33
LSD 5/20/5
Brakes 7/8
15/-35
10.0/4.0
6/3
6/3
6/3
1.5/0.5
-0.10/-0.20

Gearbox:
Final gear ratio to 3500, later set max speed to 230 km/h and later ...
F3000
max speed top right 250 km/h

178 BHP / 18.9 kgfm

Updates in red.

Have to do some work today. Took a short break and tried Ramons tune. Too loose for me, so I tightened it a bit. Produced 59.372 at the second split. T1 is still elusive for me, since it probably requires a heluva lot of trail braking, which I can't do atm. T2 is decent though. T3 is crap, since I spent most of it trying not to ruin the lap ;)

dsgerbc
Have to do some work today. Took a short break and tried Ramons tune. Too loose for me, so I tightened it a bit. Produced 59.372 at the second split. T1 is still elusive for me, since it probably requires a heluva lot of trail braking, which I can't do atm. T2 is decent though. T3 is crap, since I spent most of it trying not to ruin the lap ;)

Dan you can run a lap here with your GTP account too. We won't be a stickler here as we know its you. Just FYI so you don't have to execute a "gold" lap twice.

Latest splits:
T1: 23.934
T2: 35.933

For my tune it is mostly Kevin's.

Still hoping for more time!!

Fixed with splits that aren't from my first 15 laps (kept waiting to see if they'd update from t'other list):

T1: 24.034
T2: 35.588

Hope for a little more time yet, messy T3...

Ealirendur
Fixed with splits that aren't from my first 15 laps (kept waiting to see if they'd update from t'other list):

T1: 24.034
T2: 35.588

Hope for a little more time yet, messy T3...

I manually entered your first splits and never updated... Figured you'd show up here at some point. :sly:

Nice splits.

Now we have to get the other guys from Orca on the board!

Also, don't forget also to submit your full lap times before the deadline using the "Submit Lap" link on the leader board post. Those will be kept secret until the results are published on Tuesday @ 11:59 GMT. For those of you running the WRS time trial also you might want to wait to submit your full lap times until after the WRS deadline on Monday as the submitted laps here are visible to me via the Google document.

Last edited:
Had another quick and probably my final session.
T1: 23.935
T2: 35.335

Last edited:
I finally got a chance to sit down at Fuji and get some quality practice in. Glad to see everyone else is getting red laps too. :lol: I'm generally decent around the whole track but the first turn and the penultimate turn, if I get just a millimeter too much rubber on the curb it gives me a red lap.

I'm not very fast but my smoothness and consistency is improving, which is good for actual racing. I have the hardest times with the second turn and the hairpin after 100R which happen to be fairly critical corners for maintaining speed throughout the lap. If I can clean up my braking points on those two turns I could probably shave at least a half second off my lap time.

Splits:

T1: 24.676
T2: 37.062

Shameful! :dunce: More practice tonight for me.

You'd be surprised at how much time you can make up just by getting that second corner right as it sets you up nicely for the 100R. And that 🤬 hairpin I can get right about 1 in 10!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back