ORCA Alfa Z-Cup - Special Event Time Trial - Fuji TZ2

• Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 139 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got to thank WRP now. I used to hate this track. Still do. At least now I've finally figured out how everyone was driving away from me. I honestly didn't even know this track had brake markers. if anyone's still doing this, here are three big tips:

CHANGE YOUR OIL. I did two fifteen lap stints, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I couldn't beat my time. It was like I had more horsepower at one point. Well, I did. In practice mode, your horsepower goes down because your oil gets cruddier after every lap. I dropped a half second off my lap right after the oil change.

Take a long, slow lap and look for the brake markers posted on the fences. Makes braking a whole lot easier, as well as finding your turn-in points.

Use the set-up posted in this thread. It's great, and the transmission will take a second off your lap easily.

Well I'm glad at least one person doesn't hate me for putting you guys through this time trial. :lol: They are a labor of love, but the results on your race performance is *significant* if you put a good effort into the laps. I'm telling you that no matter what car you drive, you will perform better at this track from now on. I just hope I didn't create a monster that I cannot ever beat. That 59.0 T2 split is just sick!

If you figure out how to upload your replay I'd love to watch it. You know if you have a smart phone and plug it into the USB port of the PS3 (with the charging cable) you can transfer your replay that way as well as a USB drive. Basically it acts like a USB drive and you can then plug into the PC in the same way to upload the file.

I did 4 laps with Eclipsee's tune and I think I want to move on now. The car is completely different to the car we run in the regular ORCA races, so I think practicing online with our normal conditions and settings will be far more useful as practice for the special event. I submitted a lap, and I know I will be assigned to B for the first race but that is completely fine by me.

Well I'm glad at least one person doesn't hate me for putting you guys through this time trial. :lol: They are a labor of love, but the results on your race performance is *significant* if you put a good effort into the laps. I'm telling you that no matter what car you drive, you will perform better at this track from now on. I just hope I didn't create a monster that I cannot ever beat. That 59.0 T2 split is just sick!

If you figure out how to upload your replay I'd love to watch it. You know if you have a smart phone and plug it into the USB port of the PS3 (with the charging cable) you can transfer your replay that way as well as a USB drive. Basically it acts like a USB drive and you can then plug into the PC in the same way to upload the file.

I'm glad it was a track I'm bad at, because if it was an easier track like Monza I would never have spent so much time looking for time.

I got 1 GT5 and WRS clean 58, did 3 WRS clean 58.9s.... GT5 didn't like them.....

I'm looking around the house now, could have 1 or 2 USB thinkings that could do the job.....

Last edited:
*Clap Clap Clap*
Soo close to get red flagged by GT5.... I'm glad to see I was using the right line, just stayed a much safer distance from the rumble strips.... How does he get so "Smooth"?

EDIT, My Lap IS INVALID, how can I remove the time?

*Clap Clap Clap*
Soo close to get red flagged by GT5.... I'm glad to see I was using the right line, just stayed a much safer distance from the rumble strips.... How does he get so "Smooth"?

EDIT, My Lap IS INVALID, how can I remove the time?

I don't get it either. Those are the same lines and basic braking points I take and I'm many, many seconds off that time. I have to say I tried the provided tunes and didn't care for them at all, made the car understeer like mad and I don't care for an understeering car so I had to revert back to Yuritardid's tune. Big thing was the transmission settings, I don't know how they get around the track with a tall 2nd gear like that. Yuri had a tall 2nd gear too but I dialed it back so it was usable for me.

I don't get it either. Those are the same lines and basic braking points I take and I'm many, many seconds off that time. I have to say I tried the provided tunes and didn't care for them at all, made the car understeer like mad and I don't care for an understeering car so I had to revert back to Yuritardid's tune. Big thing was the transmission settings, I don't know how they get around the track with a tall 2nd gear like that. Yuri had a tall 2nd gear too but I dialed it back so it was usable for me.

Understeer? You must be using the wrong tune. That tune was designed to make the back end literally kick out under braking. I had to adjust BB just to reign it in to my skill level.

Also to Sag... There are two corners you have to handle different with that tune, but the others are nearly identical. Maybe less than a car length difference in braking point. All in all yes, for the race you are better to practice online only. But for the purpose of a "controlled" way to determine a hot lap time that's what we had to work with. If we could have prevented tuning with this car offline we would have. But you can't and you can't watch a replay and see if someone tuned.

Ok does the submitted T1 and T2 splits come from the Fastest Lap you are submitting?

I just ran under a minute in T1 and T2 and softened in T3 to be sure not to dirty that lap. However it was .2 Slower then yesterday's lap total. About .4 faster in T1 and T2.

I'm really lost here. I just race. Need a crew chief for this kinda of thing. lol ;)

My final Sectors are:

Wow, that T2 is the 3rd best of all I've seen this week. :eek: Approaching liftoff for alien territory, well done. 👍

Owens, when you watch your replay, go into the Live Timing section, and as each sector is completed in the replay, the time for that sector will appear in white, replacing the greyed-out times from the previous lap from that session. Only use the white numbers from the current lap being run.

The T1+T2 is just to give others an idea what you are capable of, and there's no hard rule about those needing to match up with the final submitted lap, but it's the gentlemanly thing to do. ;)
What Tim said.
|
V

Last edited:
Ok does the submitted T1 and T2 splits come from the Fastest Lap you are submitting?

I just ran under a minute in T1 and T2 and softened in T3 to be sure not to dirty that lap. However it was .2 Slower then yesterday's lap total. About .4 faster in T1 and T2.

I'm really lost here. I just race. Need a crew chief for this kinda of thing. lol ;)

The T1 and T2 should come from your current fastest lap. i.e. if you blew the third sector resulting in a slower overall lap you don't post those splits.

I see Lucas' answer, but I'm going to overrule for this one... I'm building the final results table/calculations assuming your splits and total time come from the same lap.

So overall lap is what matters. The Splits mean nothing in the respect to race placing?

WRP001
Understeer? You must be using the wrong tune. That tune was designed to make the back end literally kick out under braking. I had to adjust BB just to reign it in to my skill level.

I tried both Eclipse and Ramon's tunes (with your BB) posted in this thread. With 2nd gear that tall there was no torque to slow the car when downshifting, and going down to 1st gear just bounces off the limiter, so I had to stay in 2nd. I'm used to using a bit of engine braking and there was very little of it with 2nd gear that tall, I would downshift expecting a decrease in speed and it would just float off across the curbs. I guess that's probably a bad habit of mine that I need to address. Even when not braking it felt very stiff and didn't want to turn, I didn't have the back end step out on me except a few times on exit. I suppose I just have a different driving style than most. AKA - Slow. :lol:

Ugh, was a second faster than the time I submitted but the stupid ingame nonsense kept doing its nonsense and I didn't feel like wasting my time getting frustrated.

I tried both Eclipse and Ramon's tunes (with your BB) posted in this thread. With 2nd gear that tall there was no torque to slow the car when downshifting, and going down to 1st gear just bounces off the limiter, so I had to stay in 2nd. I'm used to using a bit of engine braking and there was very little of it with 2nd gear that tall, I would downshift expecting a decrease in speed and it would just float off across the curbs. I guess that's probably a bad habit of mine that I need to address. Even when not braking it felt very stiff and didn't want to turn, I didn't have the back end step out on me except a few times on exit. I suppose I just have a different driving style than most. AKA - Slow. :lol:

Maybe you were using standard wheels? The transmissions differ between standard and custom wheels I've come to learn and Eclipsee's tune had it optimized for custom wheels.

Definitely 2nd gear wasn't good for engine braking relative to the standard transmission -- the whole point of that custom transmission was to open up the use 1st gear versus the default tune where 1st is basically not used. That extra gear gives the pull out of every corner as you know. But yes you have to slow the car to a point first before downshifting into 1st if you don't want to red line. Personally, I only used 1st in the first corner, but I know some guys used it in the penultimate corner.

In fact I had to adjust braking when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd and pause a little longer than usual before shifting to prevent the tail kick out. Again with the perfect timing and angles you could use that to your advantage in at least 2 corners with his brake bias. But i reduced brake in the rear and tried to avoid too much kickout and loss of control.

OK, Here are the final results. If your last submitted splits do not come from the same lap as your submitted final time then the T3 time and delta will be inaccurate, but for the purposes of the seeding in the special event only the full lap time really matters:

OrcaTimeTrialResults.png

Note that I projected your event handicap based on the official WRS result. it's not exact as I don't have their exact curve, but it's close.

I'll be honest, I'm a bit surprised that people are having difficulties with the boundaries. I don't know if I red lighted a single lap. Of course, I didn't run many laps so that may be why I am not running into the same course limitations as others, but I just don't see how the invalidation would hinder anyone. Perhaps I'm not as loose with the rules, I don't know.

The car was pushy for me. I prefer a bit of a twitchy car myself. After fooling with some of the adjustments I see where there is time to be gained with respect to setup. I probably should've jumped on the tuning bandwagon a long time ago. I just got finished working for today, so I have no new times to submit from my last few laps. I'm sure I'm a few miles off pace anyway. (edit: sniped with the results, I guess I fared alright)

How do we submit our replays? I assume we would have to have a replay verified in order for any of our times to be valid. If it has to be on youtube I should be able to send my replay to a friend in the states who could post it for me (I don't have a youtube account). I'm not sure what other options there are for this and/or if there is a standard procedure already in place.

Last edited:
I'll be honest, I'm a bit surprised that people are having difficulties with the boundaries. I don't know if I red lighted a single lap. Of course, I didn't run many laps so that may be why I am not running into the same course limitations as others, but I just don't see how the invalidation would hinder anyone. Perhaps I'm not as loose with the rules, I don't know.

The car was pushy for me. I prefer a bit of a twitchy car myself. After fooling with some of the adjustments I see where there is time to be gained with respect to setup. I probably should've jumped on the tuning bandwagon a long time ago. I just got finished working for today, so I have no new times to submit from my last few laps. I'm sure I'm a few miles off pace anyway. (edit: sniped with the results, I guess I fared alright)

How do we submit our replays? I assume we would have to have a replay verified in order for any of our times to be valid. If it has to be on youtube I should be able to send my replay to a friend in the states who could post it for me (I don't have a youtube account). I'm not sure what other options there are for this and/or if there is a standard procedure already in place.

See the following thread for instructions and instead of uploading to a WRS thread, just upload it here.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=176743

And unlike WRS we'll accept a video replay if that's all you've got. I'll let Brandon decide how much of a stickler he wants to be. For you Marcus, since you aren't even in the special event, I don't think it's necessary. Same goes for guys who qualified in lounge B. As for the rest like I said it's up to Brandon how/if he wants verification.

All of the guys above with GTP tags (including myself) also submitted to WRS so they/we did provide a replay for verification. You can view the WRS results thread for more information about that or to download those replays. Unfortunately there is an NTSC/PAL divide when it comes to replays so you can't load a PAL replay if you run a NTSC version of the game and visa versa.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=241251

EDIT: carracerptp was the last guy to make it to lounge A for round 1 and he only beat OwensRacing by 0.015 so it was very close. Of course Owens can just finish in the top 3 in round 1 and race in lounge A for the 2nd round which is an outcome I won't be surprised by. :sly: Gravitron and Chuk are running for WRS so you can basically exclude their results for the purposes of the special event seeding:

WRSvsORCA_reg.png

What? How did I get in room A? I can't believe how close that time is...
EDIT: Should I take a video of the lap (HD camera, SD TV) to validate the time?

Last edited:
I'll check but I think my PS3 and disc are American so it would be NTSC, I'm pretty sure. I'll play around and see if I can figure this out.

Edit: Awesome! Thank you for the links above WRP. I am actually watching dsg's replay right now! This is really exciting for me as I did not think it would be this easy. I'll have mine posted shortly.

2nd Edit: Here is my replay. At least I hope it is. This is the first time I've done something like this. It is NTSC. The sector times were a bit slower than my previous lap, which was a 1'47.950.

Attachments

• Marcus.zip
    303.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Marcus - 1'47.846 -
user118395pic1573412914.gif

Clean lap, tires and specs match. 👍

dsgerbc

???? Marcus seemed to want his replay verified so I obliged. If someone takes it serious so will I.

It was an interesting lap. Surprised it was so fast actually given how wide 100r was taken to catch the slide from turn 2, but nice engine braking technique with first gear in the penultimate turn.

Marcus if you enjoyed this at all you really should consider joining the WRS. If you pulled out that time in 25 laps you've got a knack for this.

dsgerbc
^ I was merely surprised by "0 views"

Oh. I didn't notice that, but can assure you I downloaded it. Maybe chrome doesn't leave a trace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back