ORCA Alfa Z-Cup - Special Event Time Trial - Fuji TZ2

• Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 139 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's just no good braking marker for turn 2 and you can't see where the track goes so I can't ever get a good entry into it. I know it hurts the rest of my lap but I've had to be very cautious through that turn just to avoid getting an invalid lap. I expect my actual race to be over after lap 1, turn 2 as I watch the field speed through 100R and off into the sunset. :dunce:

There's just no good braking marker for turn 2 and you can't see where the track goes so I can't ever get a good entry into it. I know it hurts the rest of my lap but I've had to be very cautious through that turn just to avoid getting an invalid lap. I expect my actual race to be over after lap 1, turn 2 as I watch the field speed through 100R and off into the sunset. :dunce:

There's a wee red marker of some sort on the fence on your right as you approach turn 2. I tend to use that.

A very cautious first lap to let the tyres/tires warm up and then you should be grand. At least it ain't La Sarthe and there's plenty of scope on this track to catch back up.

After being in a race yesterday at this track, I see many people have sector 2 figured out, I'm still getting lost.
I still haven't improved my times.

There's a wee red marker of some sort on the fence on your right as you approach turn 2. I tend to use that.

I was using that as a braking marker, but I find it's bad practice to be looking at the opposite side of the track than the turn. That little dude is too small to see in my peripheral vision, so I'm on the search for a new marker. Thinking about hiring a midget to stand there with a sign that says "brake here". 👍

If any of you use eclipse's tune from a page back (posted by w-g-e) you may want to change brake bias. It was too lose for me so changed to 7/6. Otherwise it's awesome.

EDIT: The gearing from that tune is perfect if you have installed custom wheels. You should be red lining 5th as you complete your run down the straight. If you use standard wheels I think it needs some adjustments. I don't know what they are as I have custom wheels.

Last edited:
^I upped rear downforce to full instead.

Quick advice:
1) Use the posted tunes, w/o them you'll be seconds off. Tweak spring rates/ARB/toe/camber to adjust it for yourself. Rake is needed for top-speed.
2) For ideas on what line to take have a look at WRS Videos thread, week 22. Also read the WRS event thread on further pointers.
3) Few of my braking points:
T1 (I suck here): I brake about 2 car lengths before rumble on the left. I can do very little trail braking here, since it tries to spin (maybe using Tim BB helps, i like brakes at 7/8 elsewhere and didn't really try adjusting the BB on the fly). So brake hard, then turn and get on throttle as early as possible. Never have time to look at speed.
T3 (Coca-Cola): I brake at the little red marker on the fence between 50 and 100 signs and turn-in around 50, with some trail braking. Ideally - brake/turn a little earlier than that and grab some curb on the inside. Try to keep it above 90.
T4-5 (100R). Keep it tight. Lift when you see a red marker on the fence. half the time I downshift to 3rd once the speed drops to ~99 and floor it. The other half I try in 4th gear and keep >97 while trying not to go wide.
T6 (hairpin): brake at 50 marker. Grab the curb on the left, try to be on throttle before the curb. About 59-60mph on a good lap.
T10(Dunlop): brake 1-2 car length after the shadow from the banner. Trail brake, grab curb on the right. Keep it above 80.
T11: I brake at the start of green pavement on the outside of the curb. Trail brake. ~61mph. Go straight past T12, no maker for braking so use feel to backside the T13. I keep it above 51 on a good lap.
Last turn (I'm probably way off pace here too): I swing wide, but not all the way, brake when I run out of 2nd gear (eclipsi's tune) and bring it in to the apex. On a good lap (pretty rare) I can take it at 57 mph, flooring it at the apex.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Great tips Dan... bravo on the lap walk through. I love reading those... wish I had yours yesterday :sly:

Yes, forgot that I also upped the down force on the rear to max as well on the Eclipse tune. I guess Eclipse wanted the back end *really* loose. Can't wait to see his replay.

Even with the change to brake bias and the max down force you will get the kick out if you downshift right away under braking -- mostly in Sector 3 with those tough corners. You can like it or hate it, but it can be used to your advantage. Or if you don't want it to kick out brake a little first while in 3rd and then downshift to 2nd only after your speed is reduced. This prevents most of the kick out.

The fastest way to drive this car is really to toss it around like a rag doll. She's pretty, and appear delicate, but she likes it rough. :sly:

Wait, you can adjust downforce in this car? I didn't think it had any, I'll have to check that out. 👍

Submitted my final time with these splits:

...and a fairly average T3. I think my car is at 1300+ miles now, having spent a good 12 hours on this over the weekend. I am absolutely clueless about how people are getting 35.3 T2's...my best was 35.599. :dunce:

Thanks Tim and Brandon for putting on a great event! Not sure what team I'll be put on, but either one will be fun! 👍

^ I just get credit for the car, the rest of the credit goes to Tim for his inspiration and hard work. 👍

Quick advice:
1) Use the posted tunes, w/o them you'll be seconds off. Tweak spring rates/ARB/toe/camber to adjust it for yourself. Rake is needed for top-speed.
2) For ideas on what line to take have a look at WRS Videos thread, week 22. Also read the WRS event thread on further pointers.
3) Few of my braking points:
T1 (I suck here): I brake about 2 car lengths before rumble on the left. I can do very little trail braking here, since it tries to spin (maybe using Tim BB helps, i like brakes at 7/8 elsewhere and didn't really try adjusting the BB on the fly). So brake hard, then turn and get on throttle as early as possible. Never have time to look at speed.
T3 (Coca-Cola): I brake at the little red marker on the fence between 50 and 100 signs and turn-in around 50, with some trail braking. Ideally - brake/turn a little earlier than that and grab some curb on the inside. Try to keep it above 90.
T4-5 (100R). Keep it tight. Lift when you see a red marker on the fence. half the time I downshift to 3rd once the speed drops to ~99 and floor it. The other half I try in 4th gear and keep >97 while trying not to go wide.
T6 (hairpin): brake at 50 marker. Grab the curb on the left, try to be on throttle before the curb. About 59-60mph on a good lap.
T10(Dunlop): brake 1-2 car length after the shadow from the banner. Trail brake, grab curb on the right. Keep it above 80.
T11: I brake at the start of green pavement on the outside of the curb. Trail brake. ~61mph. Go straight past T12, no maker for braking so use feel to backside the T13. I keep it above 51 on a good lap.
Last turn (I'm probably way off pace here too): I swing wide, but not all the way, brake when I run out of 2nd gear (eclipsi's tune) and bring it in to the apex. On a good lap (pretty rare) I can take it at 57 mph, flooring it at the apex.
Hope this helps.

Thank you 👍
I'm stuck at 100R, I'm sure thats were I loss time.

^ I just get credit for the car, the rest of the credit goes to Tim for his inspiration and hard work. 👍

So who can I blame for picking this track :lol:

I really stink here so I'm still hopping for a lap of pure luck. I leaving 4 to 7 second on the track...

Thank you 👍
I'm stuck at 100R, I'm sure thats were I loss time.

So who can I blame for picking this track :lol:

I really stink here so I'm still hopping for a lap of pure luck. I leaving 4 to 7 second on the track...

Blame me for the track. :lol: We thought about Monza, Italian car and track, but didn't want to pick a track that was already on the Orca schedule and of those this was my favorite.

I happen to love Tilke tracks, but I think I'm in the minority in the GT5 community.

Blame me for the track. :lol: We thought about Monza, Italian car and track, but didn't want to pick a track that was already on the Orca schedule and of those this was my favorite.

I happen to love Tilke tracks, but I think I'm in the minority in the GT5 community.

Monza? I'm a HUGE fan of that track.

I see this (Fuji) track lends itself to the skilled and disciplined driver. It's just too wide for me, and has too many deceivingly "simple" corners.

Monza? I'm a HUGE fan of that track.

I see this (Fuji) track lends itself to the skilled and disciplined driver. It's just too wide for me, and has too many deceivingly "simple" corners.

I just like the variability. The last sector is unique and technical. Then 100R is a challenge -- more so with softer racing tires where the fastest line eats tires so there is some compromise a driver has to make. The last corner is tough and critical to a good launch down the long straight followed by a beast of a first corner. Good places to pass, technical sections to create a gap before drafting.

Honestly I like the F layout event better as it gives an additional passing location under braking, but not with this car.

I hated Fuji with a passion the first times I got shoved into it in a lobby or something, and for quite a bit after that.

Two WRS events later, I think this and GP/F make for good races (they've grown on me like fungus?). The time trialling is hard (simple corners? ROFL!), but actual racing just seems to work well.

I hate Monza for some reason. I'm sure I'll get over it one day. Mind you, head-to-head there in F2007s is just awesome.

I've fixed my splits (now with even less speed!) and submitted over here, too.

Just learned I can turn that wretched ghost car off. Woooot this just got fun. I don't mind laps. I don't mind laps with friends. But I HATE that ghost car. Can't break off thinking about it when it pops up in mirror or beside or in front. LoL

So happy. Thanks Brandon.

OwensRacing
Just learned I can turn that wretched ghost car off. Woooot this just got fun. I don't mind laps. I don't mind laps with friends. But I HATE that ghost car. Can't break off thinking about it when it pops up in mirror or beside or in front. LoL

So happy. Thanks Brandon.

Yah. I switch it on and off... It's nice to see where you gain lose time but it does get annoying especially when it's a fast ghost and it haunts your future laps.

Even if you turn it off you can see it on map and zoom in map to see small differences.

Ok I think I'm gonna call it good.

T1- 0:24.358 T2 - 0:35.936

Now to figure out how to submit this.

I ran the car for another 5 laps. I realized I was losing a lot of time without the car having been setup properly. My sector times were a bit slower, but my overall lap time was a bit faster. That will be it for me; as I'll be asleep soon and I will be working until past the deadline tomorrow. Having run less than 25 laps, I know I left a lot of time on the track with this combination, and if I run a time trial again I will pay more attention to the suggested settings. While the laps were messier, the car was certainly faster in some corners with the adjustments. I wish I had more time to invest in running, as I know where I have left at least three quarters of a second unobtained.

1 corner short of IMHO a solid lap..... so.... close. That last corner kill a .6s off the full lap....
I final got lucky, than ran out of it.... One more try tomorrow.

1 corner short of IMHO a solid lap..... so.... close. That last corner kill a .6s off the full lap....
I final got lucky, than ran out of it.... One more try tomorrow.

Sounds good. Don't forget to submit your total lap time in addition to the splits. You can always replace it with a faster one later (as long as it's before the deadline).

I did about an hour of practice last night, using bumper cam this time, and was able to shave 1.5 seconds off my total time. I felt like I really improved on the first 2 sectors but my splits only improved by a few tenths total, so I must have made some real ground in the 3rd sector. New times have been submitted.

T1: 24.468
T2: 36.792

That will be my official time since I won't have any more opportunities to practice. Hoping I do better in race performance, which is usually the case. 👍

Given how much my T3 sucked, I'm feeling the temptation to try to get home early today and do a few more laps....

I keep getting the invalid laps..... My WRS clean, GT5 dirty lap is almost a second faster than the the GT5 clean lap.... 5 hours.

EDIT: OK I may just have my lap. I'm know I can go .2 to .3 faster but is good I think...
One more try them I submitting it.

Last edited:
I keep getting the invalid laps..... My WRS clean, GT5 dirty lap is almost a second faster than the the GT5 clean lap.... 5 hours.

EDIT: OK I may just have my lap. I'm know I can go .2 to .3 faster but is good I think...

We are all in the same boat. GT5 got aggressive on penalties on this track. Everyone has to deal with it so I guess it's fair. They don't seem to conform to our WRS rules... Guess I have to go have a talk with Kaz. :sly:

Truth is if they were consistent around the entire track we wouldn't even need rules... it would just be any clean lap in GT5 is good, but unfortunately it varies greatly from track to track and also corner to corner on a track.

I would say in the WRS if I can submit a time withing a tenth of my "potential" fastest lap (add personal best three sectors together) it's a pretty good week. If it happens to be within that or even once I hit PR sectors on all three laps then it's just "luck"/"magic". Of course the more you run the more consistent you get so getting within a tenth of your potential best gets more and more likely... but at a point putting in more time is just not worth the gains. Of course if I were getting paid what Vettel is getting paid to run perfect laps then I'd be at this 24/7. :lol:

The invalid laps caused me to swear loudly and punch my wheel last night.....something I haven't done in a very long time! At one point I was .88x up after the first 2 sectors but put a millimeter of rubber on the grass outside a curb (2 wheels still fully on the tarmac) and it all went red, including my vision. :ouch:

We are all in the same boat. GT5 got aggressive on penalties on this track. Everyone has to deal with it so I guess it's fair. They don't seem to conform to our WRS rules... Guess I have to go have a talk with Kaz. :sly:

Truth is if they were consistent around the entire track we wouldn't even need rules... it would just be any clean lap in GT5 is good, but unfortunately it varies greatly from track to track and also corner to corner on a track.

I would say in the WRS if I can submit a time withing a tenth of my "potential" fastest lap (add personal best three sectors together) it's a pretty good week. If it happens to be within that or even once I hit PR sectors on all three laps then it's just "luck"/"magic". Of course the more you run the more consistent you get so getting within a tenth of your potential best gets more and more likely... but at a point putting in more time is just not worth the gains. Of course if I were getting paid what Vettel is getting paid to run perfect laps then I'd be at this 24/7. :lol:

I have done the same lap (within .02 each time) only to slip half a left rear onto the rumble strip. Not over it and passed it, on it........

My final Sectors are:

Considering this happened in T3.....

picture.php

And I still came back to beat my time... not a "Bad" lap. But I over drove the car. Should have gotten .3 more from that lap.
The invalid laps caused me to swear loudly and punch my wheel last night.....something I haven't done in a very long time! At one point I was .88x up after the first 2 sectors but put a millimeter of rubber on the grass outside a curb (2 wheels still fully on the tarmac) and it all went red, including my vision. :ouch:

:lol: I actually have never yelled at the game, I must not be playing it right.

I never had until yesterday, and it happened 3 times! I think that means I could never be a WRS regular. :lol:

No you'd fit right in. At times we curse the game and other times we take it out to dinner to make up and renew our strong relationship. :sly: Now I'm the one who needs help.

I've got to thank WRP now. I used to hate this track. Still do. At least now I've finally figured out how everyone was driving away from me. I honestly didn't even know this track had brake markers. if anyone's still doing this, here are three big tips:

CHANGE YOUR OIL. I did two fifteen lap stints, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I couldn't beat my time. It was like I had more horsepower at one point. Well, I did. In practice mode, your horsepower goes down because your oil gets cruddier after every lap. I dropped a half second off my lap right after the oil change. EDIT: car wash too, I think it helps.

Take a long, slow lap and look for the brake markers posted on the fences. Makes braking a whole lot easier, as well as finding your turn-in points.

Use the set-up posted in this thread. It's great, and the transmission will take a second off your lap easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back