OWS - Old, Weird and Slow. Still going strong with several events in different time zones every week. All skill levels welcome!Open 

• Thread starter Benny44
  • 574 comments
Amazing final race everyone! That was good fun. 7.2 seconds between first and last AFTER over 100 laps and multiple pit stops. All of us spent time in first. I pushed it near the end, and I think if I had just pitted one more time, it may have been even closer since I ran out of fuel and was lagging behind when we crossed the finish line. Looking forward to @permaculture's excellent photography skills later!

So, next week - let's get this done right away. Back to Alsace test course. 1700 lb (771.1kg) weight minimum, and 200hp. No race cars. Same settings with 30x fuel and 20x tire wear. Comfort tires of your choosing. 45 minutes, no qualifying. This will start at 6am ET.

Before that, we will do something a bit different. 250hp, 2000lb (907kg) minimum. Sport soft tires. And 1 lap around Nurburgring, 3 laps around Monza, and 2 laps around Sarthe. A little twist that won't apply to randoms that join - winner has to run sport hard tires next race. Just for fun. This obviously won't apply to the main event!

So, next week - let's get this done right away. Back to Alsace test course. 1700 lb (771.1kg) weight minimum, and 200hp. No race cars. Same settings with 30x fuel and 20x tire wear. Comfort tires of your choosing. 45 minutes, no qualifying. This will start at 6am ET.

Before that, we will do something a bit different. 250hp, 2000lb (907kg) minimum. Sport soft tires. And 1 lap around Nurburgring, 3 laps around Monza, and 2 laps around Sarthe. A little twist that won't apply to randoms that join - winner has to run sport hard tires next race. Just for fun. This obviously won't apply to the main event!
these will be great! i'll put a lobby up with these settings today to see if anyone bites, and then maybe again on saturday... visiting charleston during the week (before its swept into the ocean)

great work again on those settings by the way. any one of us could have won!

these will be great! i'll put a lobby up with these settings today to see if anyone bites, and then maybe again on saturday... visiting charleston during the week (before its swept into the ocean)

great work again on those settings by the way. any one of us could have won!
I loved at the end of the race, with about 3 minutes left, I had a choice to pit in and run sorts and get after it or try and conserve everything and finish. I was running in first place st the time. I opted for the latter, which was a mistake, but I love that I had that choice. And who knows, maybe the other way would have been a mistake too. The point is I think all of us felt we had a chance.

And I agree with you on your point of having a higher user base if more people played like this. I've been wracking my brain trying to come up with a solution to getting more people. But I also know I can't take on any more responsibility; I barely do this as it is! At the same time, I think an evening or a few evening races during the week would be great. The type we can drop in and out of if we're not hosting. It would be nice to have these type of lobbies to jump into. And it would be nice to have an easy spot to set it up.

So, in that vein, I started setting up a discord server. Not as a replacement for this, but somewhere that will attract more people. There's always dangers to doing this, but I think it could work. And for me, jumping on and adding a quick comment is much easier. If you're on discord, I'll put the link at the bottom. I'm a bit old for discord, but I have ran a server on there with about 40 of us and was a moderator for a somewhat large mobile game. It's been a while though.

I had a pretty good response on Reddit when I posted some pics of our races (I stole some from perma and Papa🤣). But for most it's hard to get onto GTPlanet, sign up and get on here. But discord is very easy to do that with, because most already have it. There's no barrier to entry.

Anyway, here's the link. And don't feel like it's necessary. Also, I need a good cover photo!

photos from some great racing today!

the northern isle 100 was spectacular - so many strategy options, much of the race everyone was on the same lap... a few times nearly in formation. i decided around lap 70 i was going to try and land with a HammerTime soft tire finish, but my fuel math ended up being off by a couple of laps. absolutely thrill trying to catch everyone down the stretch, but i ran out of time!

View attachment 1256370View attachment 1256369View attachment 1256368View attachment 1256367View attachment 1256366View attachment 1256365View attachment 1256364View attachment 1256363View attachment 1256362

congratulations to @PapaGnr and thank you for hosting @Benny44 . yet again - if this is what GT7 was for most people, i think the user base would be a lot more active.
Thanks for the accolades @permaculture, but thanks to @Benny's set up for the Mini Indy, it was anyone's to win. I just lucked out.

Amazing final race everyone! That was good fun. 7.2 seconds between first and last AFTER over 100 laps and multiple pit stops. All of us spent time in first. I pushed it near the end, and I think if I had just pitted one more time, it may have been even closer since I ran out of fuel and was lagging behind when we crossed the finish line. Looking forward to @permaculture's excellent photography skills later!

Looks like the next races will be fun. Time to set up some cars.

My take of todays first race. Whoever that random was, he didn't take prisoners. First he rear-ended @Benny44, then he spun @permaculture & he got me in the last corner. Oh well, what can you do?

Attachments

• Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105157.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105157.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105257.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105257.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 6
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105208.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105208.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105228.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105228.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105313.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105313.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105326.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105326.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 6
Race 2 started badly with the random causing mayhem again, so after a boot, we restarted. "Live long and prosper" @permaculture.
Nice win by @Mr_Benn.

Attachments

• Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105437.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105437.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105426.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105426.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 6
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105411.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105411.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105356.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105356.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105341.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105341.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 7
The Mini Indy was loads of fun, with pit strategy & even tire choice, extremely important.

Edit: we actually ran 111 laps. WOW.

Attachments

• Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105535.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105535.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105547.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105547.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230514100211.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230514100211.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105559.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105559.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105611.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105611.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230514100715.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230514100715.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105633.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105633.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105744.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105744.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230514101459.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230514101459.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105755.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230514105755.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230514101619.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230514101619.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230514102729_1.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230514102729_1.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 6
  • Gran Turismo® 7_20230514103757_1.jpg
    Gran Turismo® 7_20230514103757_1.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Glad you joined. There's usually a few more, but they were AWOL. Maybe because of Mother's Day?
That makes sense. Gotta get the breakfasts in bed ready!

We may have an influx of people - I just posted on Reddit, and a bunch are joining the discord (and hopefully here), although discord seems much more popular. I guess it's easy to use/join for a lot of people.

I have it set up so there's a category for each day of the week, and people can post races there if they want to host a room. I'll try and repost anything there on here and vice versa, but you know me and my stellar attendance record during the week🤣

I'm doing a test custom race (could only set time for 40 or 50 minutes, so doing 40) using forward version. You'll throw me for a loop if you decide to use reverse @Benny44. :lol: So far (spoiler: CS would be the tire of choice) tire wear will last for a full fuel load (spoiler: using fuel mix 6). Should be an interesting endeavor.

You did say NO race cars?

Last edited:
I'm doing a test custom race (could only set time for 40 or 50 minutes, so doing 40) using forward version. You'll throw me for a loop if you decide to use reverse @Benny44. :lol: So far (spoiler: CS would be the tire of choice) tire wear will last for a full fuel load (spoiler: using fuel mix 6). Should be an interesting endeavor.

You did say NO race cars?
i believe he did - i think (personally) race cars are cool for the shorter races, but the fuel tanks kind of muck things up with fuel rate.

that said - a long, pre 1975 race car event? sign me up!

speaking of which... the discord has exploded to 20 members, @Benny44 . not sure if there are any OWS logos on the decal register but people are already getting creative over there! i might even actually download the app on my phone so i don't come back to 7,000,000 notifications on friday.

Last edited:
i believe he did - i think (personally) race cars are cool for the shorter races, but the fuel tanks kind of muck things up with fuel rate.

that said - a long, pre 1975 race car event? sign me up!

speaking of which... the discord has exploded to 20 members, @Benny44 . not sure if there are any OWS logos on the decal register but people are already getting creative over there! i might even actually download the app on my phone so i don't come back to 7,000,000 notifications on friday.
Are there any OWS decals out there ? I've just been using letters available in the livery editor.

Are there any OWS decals out there ? I've just been using letters available in the livery editor.
i was convinced that was a homemade one. maybe i've got enough time before my flight to do something.

alright - #ows , #gtplanet , #oldweirdslow - at least a rough draft exists

Last edited:
Racing is primed and ready! We're going to start off with some smaller tracks
The races this time will be 300pp, with comfort hard tires unless stated

9am - The first race we will travel to Japan on the Suzuka East course and get our cars ready for 10 minutes

9:10 am - first race commences - 7 laps

9:20 - Brands Hatch Indy Circuit 7 laps

9:35 - Catch our breath for a moment and travel to the U.S.A at Watkins Glen. Just 5 laps around this much more open road course

9:45 - Time to refill your tea or coffee, and take a few minutes to tune in your car for the final race

10:00 - Inaugural OWS Grand Prix! 12 laps around Road Atlanta.
New restrictions -
350 pp
Up to comfort Soft
Tire wear - 20x
Fuel Consumption- 25x

If you haven't raced here often, be sure to make sure you know where pit lane is. You WILL need to pit, and it can be easy to pass if you're not careful.

One little thing to add, if you're in chat - just do your best to keep the foul language to a minimum, we don't know who will join and it can offend some people. That said, it still comes out sometimes in tense situations, so don't feel bad :D

O.W.S LEAGUE MISSION
There's a lot of Gr racing leagues and events. Blistering fast cars that give a thrill and favor highly skilled racers. I'm not one of those people. I enjoy driving all the oddball stuff. Or the classics. I love seeing a field of mish-mash cars. That Honda S800 trying desperately to hold the lead in a straight with a Dodge Challenger and Maserati Merak hot in pursuit is my idea of a good time.

So, this is the start of a little corner of GT for all of us fans of the off-the-beaten-path cars. My idea is simple - meet once a week to start, have 3 - 5 short races with a PP restriction. No BoP here, just tune your cars how you like to fit the restriction and race. The idea isn't necessarily to win, it is to do two things (besides having fun) - practice good racecraft and enjoy seeing other's cars.

I don't want anyone to feel intimidated, I want varying skill levels. A place where you can swap a couple parts in or restrict power/add ballast to fit the PP and race. We all have lives, I'm no exception. I want people to be able to jump in with 5 minutes of prep if they want. You can use whatever aids you like. Again, this isn't about winning. Competitive without being intimidating.

Obviously, crashes happen and it's a part of racing. And I expect this could potentially attract new racers (you're wholeheartedly invited!), so don't feel bad if you've caused a wreck. Having said that, please do not drive aggressively. That hole that you might just be able to squeeze through? Don't take it. Gone off into the grass a bit? Be careful re-entering. GTplanet has a good racecraft guide here https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/the-good-racecraft-guide.183891/

If you follow that AND remember this isn't a 'winning is everything' mentality league, you'll be just fine. So join me - let's see those cars gathering dust in your garage. Maybe we'll even see some historic liveries or nice original ones! This idea is still in it's infancy, so suggestions are more than welcome.

So, Sunday morning - 5am ET. At least to start. If there is any interest right away, we can race tomorrow (March 12), and I'll tentatively say 450 pp. I'm Bic44 on PSN. Voice chat is probably the best way to do this, so send a friend request and just put GTplanet on it, I'll gladly accept!
Is it every Sunday morning? I work nights and every other weekend. I’m ok with the 5am start cause I’m normally awake. I’d like to run one weekend to see if it’s something I’d enjoy. I’ve been finding the game kinda boring as of late.

Is it every Sunday morning? I work nights and every other weekend. I’m ok with the 5am start cause I’m normally awake. I’d like to run one weekend to see if it’s something I’d enjoy. I’ve been finding the game kinda boring as of late.
@Benny44 hosts every Sunday & tries to let us know what the race schedules are beforehand. This upcoming Sunday is in post #241 at top of this page. Your welcome to join so send @Benny44 an FR at Bic44 or me at PapaGnr.

Last edited:
Once my wife has use of both hands again, I'm wanting to try an evening race. I absolutely LOVE the idea of historic race cars on LeMans. Even if it is by PP, the photo opportunities would be awesome

Rather than double posting, I want to post my idea for a what I think would be fun event here. Maybe close to when the new Grand Tour comes out. Have a pp restriction and do 3-4 races of similar lengths. The caveat is that you HAVE to use the car you brought for every race. And you can only change the tires. Not gearing, not power, nothing. And the only reason we can change tires is because one of those races will be a dirt track. Have a dirt track, an oval, a road track and a traditional race track. Thoughts? Opinions? I'm just gonna keep this here because there'd be a LOT of opinions on discord and I'd rather get some details ironed out first with you guys

Last edited:
Once my wife has use of both hands again, I'm wanting to try an evening race. I absolutely LOVE the idea of historic race cars on LeMans. Even if it is by PP, the photo opportunities would be awesome

Rather than double posting, I want to post my idea for a what I think would be fun event here. Maybe close to when the new Grand Tour comes out. Have a pp restriction and do 3-4 races of similar lengths. The caveat is that you HAVE to use the car you brought for every race. And you can only change the tires. Not gearing, not power, nothing. And the only reason we can change tires is because one of those races will be a dirt track. Have a dirt track, an oval, a road track and a traditional race track. Thoughts? Opinions? I'm just gonna keep this here because there'd be a LOT of opinions on discord and I'd rather get some details ironed out first with you guys
This is a great idea but what I would recommend is having a set “theme” for the car everyone picks like Grand Tour. “Best First Car” “Best cheap “super car”” “Reliable Sports Cars” etc. Could be fun just seeing what everyone chooses and their reasoning for their pick.

But yes I agree one car with no changes for each race/challenge.

It’s a thumbs up from me Benny, that sounds like it would be a lot of fun.

I'm OK with anything you propose. 👍 One question, how can you restrict tuning without resorting to BOP?

I'm OK with anything you propose. 👍 One question, how can you restrict tuning without resorting to BOP?
That's the thing - I can't. It would have to be a friends only room. Do you, or anyone on here - know of BoP works on vastly different cars? The only time we tried it, it made for a very uneven race

That's the thing - I can't. It would have to be a friends only room. Do you, or anyone on here - know of BoP works on vastly different cars? The only time we tried it, it made for a very uneven race
I have never tried it - but I also don’t see the harm in allowing people minor adjustments after races? Maybe I am being naive though.

If the limits are right , and there isn’t one car clearly annihilating everyone, then I think it’s cool to be able to tinker. Personally I’d rather give someone the option to shift the weight or change gear ratios it feels weird. if there is fear of people preparing too well, I’d say to keep the race location secret or something. And finally, if I don’t enjoy driving the car and I know I can’t edit it, I’m probably going to not finish the race.

I do like the idea of “race the car you enter” and creating circumstances that people can’t really practice for… but if I get in the car and the balance doesn’t work, or it’s only topping out at 4th gear when it has 6 gears… I’m probably not having much fun. BUT I realize that may be the point, and I validated the reason for the idea!

The content being made on the discord is incredible! Bad timing for my vacation this year! Hoping I’ll have some time to host a room when I’m back home

Last edited:
I'm not sure BOP works that well. When PD sets up BOP races, there's always 1 car that is the preferred 1. A lot also depends on the transmission of each car & how it works for you. I know that when I do the TT's, there are some cars that just don't work for me coz I use auto shift. For you manual shifters, they might be fine. We'll just have to be on the honor system, that's all.

I still think hp & weight are better equalizers in our races. Case in point was the Mini Indy. After 111 laps, we finished within 7 seconds of each other. I don't know if that will be the result in every race, but that sure was close.
.....Bad timing for my vacation this year! Hoping I’ll have some time to host a room when I’m back home
Enjoy your vacation. 👍

Last edited:

1961 e type 248 hp 1 lap of nordschliefe.....12 minutes..I think I nailed the Slow part of OWS

I'm not sure BOP works that well. When PD sets up BOP races, there's always 1 car that is the preferred 1. A lot also depends on the transmission of each car & how it works for you. I know that when I do the TT's, there are some cars that just don't work for me coz I use auto shift. For you manual shifters, they might be fine. We'll just have to be on the honor system, that's all.

I still think hp & weight are better equalizers in our races. Case in point was the Mini Indy. After 111 laps, we finished within 7 seconds of each other. I don't know if that will be the result in every race, but that sure was close.

Enjoy your vacation. 👍
thanks! Charleston is beautiful, and hot!

image.jpg

Back