OWS - Old, Weird and Slow. Still going strong with several events in different time zones every week. All skill levels welcome!Open 

• Thread starter Benny44
  • 574 comments
@PapaGnr and I may be the only two who regularly use lbs on here.
I learned pounds & inches all through school & in the tool shop where I first started working. All fasteners & tools were in inches. Metric became standard in the 80s while I worked at a GM dealership & the changeover was costly. :irked: Hard to make an old codger change his ways, although metric is so much easier to calculate. ;)

Random question, has anyone thought about getting God of War : Ragnarok? Not my type of game at all, just curious if anyone was thinking of getting it.

I have a code for a free copy, that's why I was asking. Not gonna use it. It's North American though, don't think it works in Europe
sounds like the price is right for a trial! i havent played either - honestly my PS4 almost never got used until i picked up GT Sport about 18 months ago, and my PS5 has mostly just been a GT7 machine. i got used to playing games that i could walk in and out of the room while on!

and i am still up for hosting today, if you and/or papa are down... or i can wait a day etc. i did find a 175hp / 2200lb room in the lobbies yesterday, but the host disables TCS, which i really do not get. some cars have it!

and i am still up for hosting today, if you and/or papa are down... or i can wait a day etc. i did find a 175hp / 2200lb room in the lobbies yesterday, but the host disables TCS, which i really do not get. some cars have it!
Just say the word & I'll be there. Not sure about that night race at Interlagos. Pretty dark for my old eyes & no driving line, which I normally use. Plus, I'm still trying to sort a car. The other races look interesting tho.
and i am in north america, exotic Central Ohio. i would say your southerly neighbor but boy it looks like you are truly out there!
You're my Southern neighbor. 👍 I'm just across the border from Detroit (which is actually northwest of me).

Btw, I like your new profile picture. 👍 👍

Last edited:
Just say the word & I'll be there. Not sure about that night race at Interlagos. Pretty dark for my old eyes & no driving line, which I normally use. Plus, I'm still trying to sort a car. The other races look interesting tho.

You're my Southern neighbor. 👍 I'm just across the border from Detroit (which is actually northwest of me).

Btw, I like your new profile picture. 👍 👍
you and the other driver mentioned it was too dark - I’ll fix that and be more mindful! They don’t have the lights like Daytona… plus I forget not everyone is playing on the same system/screen etc. I’ll probably set up a room in a couple of hours to fix that one, and find a Spec that works for the Cobra.

And nice! I visited Detroit a couple of summers ago… interesting city to say the least! The pinnacle of “automobile scale” city design, but they seemingly haven’t updated any of the infrastructure since 1975.

2pm EST Edit: I have a 350hp room up for the time being, if anyone wants to tinker with some cars

Last edited:
We tinkered with some cars but nobody else showed. :grumpy: Not sure if we're racing tonight?
what'd you think about that 350 / 2200 / SS combo? i feel like it had a lot of variety... if i open a random lobby this evening, it'll be something similar.

and what do i gotta do to get some randoms? maybe add a PP limit so that it gets caught in a search? feels like i'm going to end up researching how to do those colorful lettering titles other people have lmao

Last edited:
what'd you think about that 350 / 2200 / SS combo? i feel like it had a lot of variety... if i open a random lobby this evening, it'll be something similar.

and what do i gotta do to get some randoms? maybe add a PP limit so that it gets caught in a search? feels like i'm going to end up researching how to do those colorful lettering titles other people have lmao
That combo works for a lot of cars. I just have to check more of mine coz I've been tuning for BOP & doing weight reductions & then adding weight to more evenly balance weight distribution.

As far as attracting more randoms, I don't know ? Seems like a lot of players like the upper tier cars on racing tires or smash-up derbies.

Last edited:
That combo works for a lot of cars. I just have to check more of mine coz I've been tuning for BOP & doing weight reductions & then adding weight to more evenly balance weight distribution.

As far as attracting more randoms, I don't know ? Seems like a lot of players like the upper tier cars on racing tires or smash-up derbies.
i suppose i could do the same set-up with racing hard tires, but then its basically just doing a 700pp room. which isnt the end of the world... but yeah, it doesn't seem like theres much appeal for Race A-style lobbies at any time of day.

Last edited:

In my experience, it's difficult to attract random people in random lobbies.

If I setup PP/weight/power, nobody would join. They would need to have a car with these specific settings and it's more likely that they won't have one, or don't want to prepare one immediately.

If I ask to use a specific car (with BOP on, no tuning), some people would join. I would usually choose a car that's available in the UCD/LCD at the moment, or a regular car from Brand Central.

If I do a Gr4/3/etc lobby, it fills up way quicker.

I think we just need to accept that the vast majority of people prefer racing cars. I tried to host Race A-style lobbies for a few weeks but it just didn't work. I mean, occasionally, there would be up to 6 people but the majority of the time it was just me and another regular driver. So I kinda gave up and now I'm trying to join an existing group from time to time. My biggest issue is being on the other side of the planet so time zones make it a bit more difficult.

In my experience, it's difficult to attract random people in random lobbies.

If I setup PP/weight/power, nobody would join. They would need to have a car with these specific settings and it's more likely that they won't have one, or don't want to prepare one immediately.

If I ask to use a specific car (with BOP on, no tuning), some people would join. I would usually choose a car that's available in the UCD/LCD at the moment, or a regular car from Brand Central.

If I do a Gr4/3/etc lobby, it fills up way quicker.

I think we just need to accept that the vast majority of people prefer racing cars. I tried to host Race A-style lobbies for a few weeks but it just didn't work. I mean, occasionally, there would be up to 6 people but the majority of the time it was just me and another regular driver. So I kinda gave up and now I'm trying to join an existing group from time to time. My biggest issue is being on the other side of the planet so time zones make it a bit more difficult.
Hey Supo, I'm in Australia so might be able to join you sometime but I'm not very reliable.
What's your PSN?
Not sure if I'll be joining this Sunday though, will see how I go.

Hi folks, I really like the look of these races you are putting on and would like to join if that’s ok?
It's more than ok. Welcome aboard. @Benny44 sets up the Sunday races & start time is 5:00 AM EDT (eastern daylight time) & I think that would be 10:00 AM in Scotland. Not sure what he has in store for tomorrow except for the Mini Indy at Northern Isles.

Btw, what is your PSN user name?

Last edited:
It's more than ok. Welcome aboard. @Benny44 sets up the Sunday races & start time is 5:00 AM EDT (eastern daylight time) & I think that would be 10:00 AM in Scotland. Not sure what he has in store for tomorrow except for the Mini Indy at Northern Isles.

That’s great, thanks! I’ll try to join tomorrow, I should manage I think. User name is Benn-79

what exactly is the mini-indy?

and on the off chance that @Benny44 doesn't make it, i will host a room (though maybe not right at 5am EST)

what exactly is the mini-indy?

and on the off chance that @Benny44 doesn't make it, i will host a room (though maybe not right at 5am EST)
Supposedly the Mini Indy is 60 (+?) laps of Northern Isles, 350 hp at 2500 lbs on comforts. During test, it takes about 20 seconds per lap, but fuel & tire are the big issue.

I haven't seen @Benny44 online for a while, so maybe you will have to host tomorrow. Will look for you if that's the case.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Another stupid busy week. Welcome @Mr_Benn ! So yeah, I just hadn't decided on a lap amount yet. I should be there tomorrow morning to host unless something goes wrong. Thanks for the backup @permaculture I genuinely appreciate it. I will say we've had some strange weather just hitting us. It was sunny, then it got quite dark and hailed, now it's really windy and raining.

Anyway - tomorrow. I was going back and forth on laps, and I think we should just do time. And maybe play with the qualifying this time. 10 minutes of qualifying and a 40 minute race. This would essentially make a 24 hour race with time speed set to 30x.

As far as wear rate, a 20x tire wear (that track chews up tires quickly) and 30x fuel consumption gives it a nice balance. With my tester car - a 69 Vette - I was able to get 12 laps on CH tires/fuel, but with CS those tires were gone in 6 laps. But gave me 4 extra seconds per lap. Pick your poison I suppose!

Hey everyone! Another stupid busy week. Welcome @Mr_Benn ! So yeah, I just hadn't decided on a lap amount yet. I should be there tomorrow morning to host unless something goes wrong. Thanks for the backup @permaculture I genuinely appreciate it. I will say we've had some strange weather just hitting us. It was sunny, then it got quite dark and hailed, now it's really windy and raining.

Anyway - tomorrow. I was going back and forth on laps, and I think we should just do time. And maybe play with the qualifying this time. 10 minutes of qualifying and a 40 minute race. This would essentially make a 24 hour race with time speed set to 30x.

As far as wear rate, a 20x tire wear (that track chews up tires quickly) and 30x fuel consumption gives it a nice balance. With my tester car - a 69 Vette - I was able to get 12 laps on CH tires/fuel, but with CS those tires were gone in 6 laps. But gave me 4 extra seconds per lap. Pick your poison I suppose!
I am awake and will see what I got!

I should've said this earlier - but no race cars in the last race!

Also, to start we'll just do a few PP races. Maybe 350, 300 and 250.

photos from some great racing today!

the northern isle 100 was spectacular - so many strategy options, much of the race everyone was on the same lap... a few times nearly in formation. i decided around lap 70 i was going to try and land with a HammerTime soft tire finish, but my fuel math ended up being off by a couple of laps. absolutely thrill trying to catch everyone down the stretch, but i ran out of time!

20970490298088725.jpg
20970207173987872.jpg
20970789623505290.jpg
20970167063879836.jpg
20970799847212231.jpg
20970520510454602.jpg
20970434880649700.jpg
20970276554713033.jpg
20970909935098281.jpg

congratulations to @PapaGnr and thank you for hosting @Benny44 . yet again - if this is what GT7 was for most people, i think the user base would be a lot more active.

Back