• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 86 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
2024_Summer_Olympics_logo.svg.png

This is the discussion thread for all things Paris 2024 Olympics.

Show support for all your favourite athletes and share the stories of whatever events you have ended up watching.

Making an observation, not a judgment, but that had to be the gayest opening ceremony I think I've ever seen. The fashion show segment was so avant garde that it was a bit ridiculous. Also this had to be some of the worst video directing in opening ceremony history. They really needed a rehearsal for a lot of the cuts and transitions that they attempted. So many shots were obstructed by river stage furniture. Athletes were obscured by their country name signage. They cut away from shots of talent delivering the best parts of their performances, only to go to rain-soaked shots were nothing was visible or you only saw the building they were on far off in the distance. They cut back to the olympic space knight on the river right before transitioning to the same knight with the flag on the stadium's stage, ruining the continuity. Overall, the video direction made no sense and appeared poorly planned. Then again, we Americans are spoiled because NBC is the best in the business as far as their production truck teams go.

Loved all the costumes and stuff and thought the river idea was a cool concept at least. Beijing will always be the most outstanding in-stadium ceremony I think we'll ever see, so I applaud the decision to take the ceremony completely out of the stadium. Shame it had to rain the whole evening. Gaga's number was cute, loved the performances by Axelle Saint-Cirel and Celine. Gojira's version of Ah Ca Ira was amazing. Only thing cooler would have been if Daft Punk showed up. Oh, and I totally think Zidane should've head-butted the metro's doors when they wouldn't open after the loss of power.

Last edited:
Making an observation, not a judgment, but that had to be the gayest opening ceremony I think I've ever seen. The fashion show segment was so avant garde that it was a bit ridiculous. Also this had to be some of the worst video directing in opening ceremony history. They really needed a rehearsal for a lot of the cuts and transitions that they attempted. So many shots were obstructed by river stage furniture. Athletes were obscured by their country name signage. They cut away from shots of talent delivering the best parts of their performances, only to go to rain-soaked shots were nothing was visible or you only saw the building they were on far off in the distance. They cut back to the olympic space knight on the river right before transitioning to the same knight with the flag on the stadium's stage, ruining the continuity. Overally, the video direction made no sense and appeared poorly planned. Then again, we Americans are spoiled because NBC is the best in the business as far as their production truck teams go.

Loved all the costumes and stuff and thought the river idea was a cool concept at least. Beijing will always be the most outstanding in-stadium ceremony I think we'll ever see, so I applaud the decision to take the ceremony completely out of the stadium. Shame it had to rain the whole evening. Gaga's number was cute, loved the performances by Axelle Saint-Cirel and Celine. Gojira's version of Ah Ca Ira was amazing. Only thing cooler would have been if Daft Punk showed up. Oh, and I totally think Zidane should've head-butted the metro's doors when they wouldn't open after the loss of power.
Let's face it, it was mostly horrible. The weather didn't help, but even the uber-polite BBC commentators were a bit non-plussed by it, and the 'fashion show' segments on the bridge were frankly embarrassing.

I was also wondering why they showed the country names in English, but paraded them in alphabetical order according to their French spellings, so Spain were in the Es, Team GB (United Kingdom) were in the Rs, etc.

-

Meanwhile, Team GB have just won their first medal in unlikely circumstance in the women's syncho diving. China won at a canter, but the US and Australia were neck and neck for silver; Team GB went before Australia and were in Bronze place before the Australians took their final dive - unfortunately, one of the Aussie divers basically missed the end of the board with her right foot and screwed up her dive - it's amazing she managed any decent dive at all though, but it dropped them from a possible silver or certain bronze to 4th place.

Last edited:
I'm curious to discuss the whole concept of videogames at the Olympics in general, which supposedly will be officially integrated as the Olympic eSports Games next summer in Saudi Arabia. On one hand, I think it makes a lot of sense to include videogames at all, as they're a certainly popular medium, and especially those with a very robust competitive scene. But as far as which games should be included, especially for racing, does seem like an interesting discussion in its own right.

Let's zoom in on Gran Turismo in particular, which was indeed part of the Olympics last year. I suppose I'm just really curious as to how GT partners with various officiating bodies like the FIA, IMSA, and the Olympics. Could GT re-partner with the FIA, such as the FIAGTCs and the FIA Motorsport Games? What could become of the supposed partnership with IMSA? And will GT return to the Olympics at all? It all seems a bit overwhelming, haha! I'm still glad to see these other partnerships for competitions that are more directly connected to certain automakers like Porsche, Toyota, and Honda, too, and I sort of wonder if the previous partnerships with the FIA and Olympics even offered much to Gran Turismo that the current GTWS doesn't.

It almost reminds me of the Pokemon videogame championships (VGCs), where they have their own world championships every August - no partnerships necessary - and as far as I can tell, it is massive. Of course, with Pokemon being the biggest media franchise in the world, and the videogames themselves being one of the biggest videogame IPs around, I'm unsure if this is a fair comparison. That said, I'd say Gran Turismo does have an undeniable presence within its genre, too.

Ah, but I digress. The whole idea of having videogames at the Olympics gives me somewhat mixed feelings. Yes, it's giving the medium its deserved time in the spotlight since they're so popular, but the cynic in me wonders if this is more so to maintain the cultural relevancy of the Olympics. I feel very similar about including videogame music at the Grammys, where I'm certainly for it, but I just wonder if it's just another institution fighting to stay relevant.

Last edited:
What does that have to do with anything? Video games belong in the olympics the same way that naked drag queens with beards do. The Olympics should just be for athletic sports and contests. Why can't athletes just have their own thing without having to explain, "Oh, I didn't just play videogames," or have some other qualifier? Being an eSports world champion is impressive in its own right. Why push into the olympics?

It certainly has nothing to do with the ongoing Paris Summer Olympics. Find somewhere else please.

Meanwhile the Canadian women's soccer team managers are under scrutiny for alledgedly spying on other teams practices with a drone. They've been given a 6 point penalty in the rankings, which currently gives them a total of -3, basically taking them out of contention for medals.

So, somebody decided to open a thread about Paris 2024, Nice :D As a Hardcore olympic fan, this is of course the best time of the year (every 4 years); I'm even on vacation for the next 2 weeks, so this year is even better :sly:

I will try to post some of the italian heroics, if you don't mind :lol:

Like "Pippo" Ganna, already olympic champion in cycling (but indoor), who won silver today in the road Time trial :gtpflag:(Evenpoel is a monster, by the way :eek:); this is the 1st medal for Italy, we'll see up next if we're gonna get a bronze in fencing and/or swimming :rolleyes:

UPDATE: that bronze in fencing has arrived, with Samele in the men's sabre :D

UPDATE 2: that bronze in swimming has arrived as well, with the men's 4X100 freestyle :embarrassed:

Last edited:
Ganna was almost a Goner after that near wipeout into the rails. That would have been a serious, possibly career-ending injury.

I was going to bed, thinking that today will be no gold for Italy, thanks mainly to horrible refereeing................then Martinenghi this morning woke up and said "I'm gonna beat Peaty :mischievous:" and kept his promise :eek:

Seriously, that was outta nowhere :odd: Sorry, Peaty fans :lol:

Last edited:
BBC coverage has been horrendous so far. Absolutely horrendous. 20 minutes of talking per 5 minutes of apoet and then it switches to iplayer and someone else talks, then you switch to Iplayer to carry on and it foes back to the main channel and they talk some more.

Just show us some dam sport.

I couldn't help but laugh a bit when I saw Argentina had a "Loser Bruno" on its men's volleyball team. United States still won 3-0, but it was an interesting moment.

BBC coverage has been horrendous so far. Absolutely horrendous. 20 minutes of talking per 5 minutes of apoet and then it switches to iplayer and someone else talks, then you switch to Iplayer to carry on and it foes back to the main channel and they talk some more.

Blame the IOC for selling the main rights to Discovery. BBC are very restricted in how much they can show, but yes they are doing a bad job with the crumbs they have.

Discovery Plus is £4 to access everything (and then remember to cancel before renewal), or supposedly free with Sky but it wouldn’t work for me.

Last edited:
Blame the IOC for selling the main rights to Discovery. BBC are very restricted in how much they can show, but yes they are doing a bad job with the crumbs they have.

Discovery Plus is £4 to access everything (and then remember to cancel before renewal), or supposedly free with Sky but it wouldn’t work for me.
Handily I have my dads Discovery+ login for the WRC. Thanks for the tip.

Woah Pidcock with a stunning race.
That was quite a move diving to the inside there, amazing they avoided a crash. The French crowd sure wasn't happy.

Peacock coverage has also been terrible. They cut away without warning during pivotal moments for ad breaks. And for reasons I can't understand the apparently live commentary that is on the replays is not the same commentary that you actually hear live - for instance on the bike racing replays, the commentary is from Bob Roll but when I'm actually watching live the commentary is from some Australian woman, and not much of it at that. I don't get it. The coverage is an insult to the athletes, it feels amateur. If anyone caught the cycling time trial, it felt like a Cat 3 race...

Last edited:
My fav story so far is the high jumper who lost is wedding ring :lol:

I guess Paris/NE France is a no-fly zone. My flights from London to Frankfurt had to be slightly re-routed around France, only a 20min detour.

Jerome

So you heard about our main star Gimbo Tamberi :lol:
I'm a former high jumper myself (only in college, not the Olympics mind you - 20 some odd years ago now lol), so I always follow those guys.

Jerome

Reading Threads’ reaction to the Men’s Individual Foil Final results has got me like, maaan, watching a bout at 4 in the morning really brought out the worst of people. :lol:

Last edited:
Don't tell me :grumpy:
Don’t worry. The ridicule and insults flung from both sides, to me, doesn’t merit anybody’s time and attention, so I won’t post anything here. Besides, I doubt it represents the general population.

Macchi handled it with grace and composure afterwards, and his post on Instagram sounds like that of a sportsman who will achieve greater heights in the future. At the meantime I wish the Italian Men’s Foil Team nothing but the very best in the upcoming competitions this Olympics. :)

Don’t worry. The ridicule and insults flung from both sides, to me, doesn’t merit anybody’s time and attention, so I won’t post anything here. Besides, I doubt it represents the general population.

Macchi handled it with grace and composure afterwards, and his post on Instagram sounds like that of a sportsman who will achieve greater heights in the future. At the meantime I wish the Italian Men’s Foil Team nothing but the very best in the upcoming competitions this Olympics. :)
Well, that is officially a thing of the past already, as the female epee's team had just won gold against France :gtpflag:

Last edited:
Incredible!

I was like, "Man, how the hell are they gonna advance the ball" and then sis BROKE FREE :lol:

Congratulations to Guatemala for its 1st ever Olympic Gold, courtesy of Ms. Ruano Oliva in the female Trap :D Italy took silver, Austalia bronze ;)

Last edited:
Congratulations to Guatemala for its 1st Olympic Gold, courtesy of Ms. Ruano Oliva in the female Trap :D Italy took silver, Austalia bronze ;)
Guatemala also scored a bronze in the men's Trap yesterday, in quite bizarre circumstances.

Brol Cardenas was on 27/31, but Levin-Andersson (SWE) was on 29/31 - somehow, despite only missing 2 shots in the previous 31 attempts, Levin-Andersson missed three in a row and finished on 30/35. Brol Cardenas hit 5/5 in that set to finish on 31/35, and made it through - had it finished equal, Brol Cardenas would have gone out.

Then, in the last three, 2nd placed Qi Ying had one shot to clinch silver but missed it, leaving Brol Cardenas with one shot to knock Ying out - but he missed as well, leaving Ying to progress. After such a great and unexpected comeback, it was a shame to see him miss a shot to guarantee a silver medal.

In the end, the UK's Nathan Hales won comfortably, with 48/50 in the Final, a new Olympic record and 4 shots clear of silver.

Latest Posts

Back