PC Hardware | video settings | benchmarksPC 

• Thread starter Whitestar
  • 385 comments
85 fps, really?!!

At full detail levels?
Yep, and it seemed capped at 85-89 as it bounced like a rev limiter.

Edit: not high quality mirrors or full smoke. Defaults but with the pull down on ultra. Looked amazing.

But, it was only a time trial with the car I was driving and track. And I was playing with a keyboard :/ a Titan at 1080p is overkill so as long as the CPU can handle the physics and the dev team write clean code, it shouldn't require a new PC to get the most out of it.

I'm going to get casters for my chassis today (GT chassis) so I can roll it into my office and test it properly tonight.

I'm increadably impressed with all the widgets you can tool around with while in game.

Last edited:
Did a race with 23 other cars, the BMW gt2 on Nurburg GP. The frame rate held steady around 60-70 FPS...

But I had a "97% of CPU usage" message at the top of the screen... Ok, not sure if that's a warning or just a stat but I'm quite happy with the results for such and old box with a top of the line card.

Err.... AC isn't as graphic intensive as say, PCARS or FM5, is it? Because that frame rate count is mind-boggling!

"I dream of a day when ALL consoles will be able to hit 60+ fps in EVERY game." *Martin Luther King voice*

Err.... AC isn't as graphic intensive as say, PCARS or FM5, is it? Because that frame rate count is mind-boggling!

"I dream of a day when ALL consoles will be able to hit 60+ fps in EVERY game." *Martin Luther King voice*
I can't compare it to Project CARS myself, but people are finding AC to be quite resource hungry, and more taxing than Project CARS at times.

I imagine with all the weather effects running though that Project CARS would be more intensive.

So I hooked up 3 monitors (gw2760hs 1080p) to a titan black on my 4 year old i5 and fired up Assetto for the first time...

Omg 85 FPS! And this game has more potential than Pcars... Yes Pcars is more complete but Assetto is totally open ended and embraces gran turismo type features.

The future is brighter than ever for racing games!

I don´t know how bright the future for AC is. I own this game for 5 months now and the development is going as fast as a turtle. Besides new cars and tracks, there are no new announcements for this game. I´ve seen an image of the career mode. It looks like a bunch of races thrown together and thats it.

There are no driver profiles/ratings and there is really nothing to "earn" at the moment. Just hotlaping or driving online without any goal/reward. I know on PCs it is different than on consoles. But where do you get the motivation from when there is really no goal in an game?

I was totaly blown away from AC in the first time. But as time passes, it gets more and more boring because there is nothing to do or nothing that rewards you. The special events are the only things that keep me busy. At least you get a stamp that says "passed".

Don´t get me wrong, I really love AC and it is a lot of fun and a joy to drive. But after an hard race you became first and thats it. Back to menu and restart. It is a beta ok. But I would like to know what the future of this game is? What plans do they have? They should share their plans a bit with us.

The development for the game seems to have all but stopped. Seems they have decided to take the rfactor2 approach to development.

I don´t know how bright the future for AC is. I own this game for 5 months now and the development is going as fast as a turtle. Besides new cars and tracks, there are no new announcements for this game. I´ve seen an image of the career mode. It looks like a bunch of races thrown together and thats it.

There are no driver profiles/ratings and there is really nothing to "earn" at the moment. Just hotlaping or driving online without any goal/reward. I know on PCs it is different than on consoles. But where do you get the motivation from when there is really no goal in an game?

I was totaly blown away from AC in the first time. But as time passes, it gets more and more boring because there is nothing to do or nothing that rewards you. The special events are the only things that keep me busy. At least you get a stamp that says "passed".

Don´t get me wrong, I really love AC and it is a lot of fun and a joy to drive. But after an hard race you became first and thats it. Back to menu and restart. It is a beta ok. But I would like to know what the future of this game is? What plans do they have? They should share their plans a bit with us.
Interesting, I just played it for the first time the past two days and the open ended architecture is where all the potential is to take it in any direction.

I, like you, am particularly sensitive to "lack of gameplay", player motivators, and structure of the overall package. This is my leading issue with GT 6 and I fear it will never be corrected in the GT series.

The opening screen of AC shows relatively clearly what "game like" features are planed and that's got me excited... So I hope they pick up the pace... Pcars should be an accelerator more than a demotivator.

I also hear the core team is only 10? So hmm, pretty impressive... I hope more "common" tracks get some priority...

I'm actually the opposite here. I have always hated hotlapping on my own in literally every game and haven't really enjoyed racing against AI either, but AC seems to be the special exception, I just don't get bored of the above.

I'm actually spending more and more time on it once I got to grips with modifying. When you start customising the power and adding turbos, drivetrain and engine swapping, replacing sounds etc, it becomes nearly limitless and very time consuming. It makes the time fly by.

For example:

"Hey, wouldn't it be cool to throw a small 300hp V8 in that Mk3 VW Golf and make it rear wheel drive?"
*Goes ahead and makes it so*
*Spends the next 3 hours on the Nurburgring in a state of trance*

I just grabbed a bunch of mods and learned how to shift the camera view hight... I'm looking forward to more fiddling...

I'm also finding it hard to resist renewing my iracing account... But there are no working promotion codes :(

I just grabbed a bunch of mods and learned how to shift the camera view hight... I'm looking forward to more fiddling...

I'm also finding it hard to resist renewing my iracing account... But there are no working promotion codes :(
Eventually Iracing will email you one to renew your account. I think it takes a month or so though. Most of the promo codes are for new memberships only.

I'd go with nvidia 900's. :)

____

I upgraded to gtx 760 from 560 the other day. Havent tried AC yet though with it. :)
Should be reasonable difference.

JvM
____

I upgraded to gtx 760 from 560 the other day. Havent tried AC yet though with it. :)
I still haven't finalized my build yet...too darn busy. I've been looking at a 970 though:eek::eek:

I also found this yesterday, a $1200 build with a 980!!.

Right now on my i7 860 + GTX760 at 1080p I can have either:
- max details, max AA/AF, SGSS 2x, post processing off @ 70-80fps hotlapping, 50fps at the back of a 20+ car grid (moves swiftly up to 60+ after a few corners)
- max details, 4x AA/AF, SGSS 2x, post processing ultra @ 70-90fps hotlapping, 60fps at the back of a 20+ car grid
- max details, 4x AA/AF, SGSS 2x, post processing off @ 120+fps hotlapping, never below 90fps at the back of a 20+ car grid

I currently run with 4x AA/AF and post processing enabled because it makes the replays look awesome. :)

I could run without sparse grid supersampling AA (added via NVidia Inspector profile) but then there are annoying horizontal jaggies which even 8xAA in game doesn't quite remove. If I wanted everything max at >60fps in a full AI grid, I could get it with the GTX760 as long as I didn't need SGSS. If I wanted absolutely everything max with lots of SGSS then I guess a GTX980 would be a good plan.

Of course, AC is getting a big graphics engine update for the v1.0 release (currently in closed beta, RC due mid October, v1.0 release due end of October). We'll see how the frame rates are once that happens.

Right now on my i7 860 + GTX760 at 1080p I can have either:

Thanks for the info. Actually better than I expected from the 760, nice. :)

___

I hope they add different gfx options for replay, as I don't need things like DOF while driving, but in replay its nice. :) (when done well)

JvM

____

it's a contenderm but im waiting for the R9 300's from AMD to come out so i can compare

If possible you could get this build with a 970 instead, and then at a later point in time get another 970 to run in SLI, effectively upping your framerates by 70-90% on average.
Thanks, I've started looking into that. How good will my processor have to be to be able to do this?. I waver back and forth at this point between the i5 and i7 but I'll probably end up with the i7 becaue it's less than $100 difference. With two 970's will an i5 or i7 be a bottleneck?

That will be a nice set up Johnny. I don't know anything about that motherboard but the rest will serve you well for a long time.

I also envy the prices you guys have there overseas :indiff:

One more thing @Johnnypenso. I would go for the i7-4790K instead of i7-4790. For an extra 35-ish bucks that not only gives you a stock base clock of 4.0GHz instead of 3.6. It also gives you a turbo boost overclock option of 4.4GHz. That's almost 1GHz more than the 4790. It also gives you the option of overclocking even more should you want to in the future. The i7-4790K also makes sense given your high end CPU cooler.

Anyway, just a thought. :)

Back