PC Hardware | video settings | benchmarksPC 

• Thread starter Whitestar
  • 385 comments
One more thing @Johnnypenso. I would go for the i7-4790K instead of i7-4790. For an extra 35-ish bucks that not only gives you a stock base clock of 4.0GHz instead of 3.6. It also gives you a turbo boost overclock option of 4.4GHz. That's almost 1GHz more than the 4790. It also gives you the option of overclocking even more should you want to in the future. The i7-4790K also makes sense given your high end CPU cooler.

Anyway, just a thought. :)
I should do it just because it's only 35 bucks and worth it for the option I suppose. I get conflicting messages about overclocking, good and bad, easy/hard, worth it/nor worth it etc. For me to even attempt it I'd probably need someone to come and hold my hand while I do it:lol:. Eventually if I need it bad enough I'll do the research, so I guess it's better to have the option.

AMD have cut $150 off the R9 290X, its now $399.

R9 290 is $299
Now that's a bargain!! For just $30 more the GTX780 and GTX970 are also a real bargain.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

As far as I'm aware pCARS still plays noticeably better on Nvidia than AMD, and has done for the entire beta, and I'm expecting the lead to remain at release.

So if that plays a role in thoughts of which card to pick, Nvidia might well be the safer option.

I recieved an Oculus Rift DK1 about two weeks ago. Needless to say I was super excited to try it out on Assetto. I went in initially worried about how it would perform on my Lappy in stereo 3D. Considering I only get about 70fps on a monitor with the settings on high with mirrors enabled.

I was actually really suprised to see the results, considering my Laptop is near 3 years old now.

I am running the game at 1920x1080 with all details set at high, (except I have turned the mirrors off) AA x2.

I am getting a constant 70-80fps on a 2012 ASUS RoG G74sx. i72326qm @ 2.0ghz, GTX 560m 3gb, 8gb RAM.

How is this possible you ask?

I have no idea.:confused::confused:

I recieved an Oculus Rift DK1 about two weeks ago. Needless to say I was super excited to try it out on Assetto. I went in initially worried about how it would perform on my Lappy in stereo 3D. Considering I only get about 70fps on a monitor with the settings on high with mirrors enabled.

I was actually really suprised to see the results, considering my Laptop is near 3 years old now.

I am running the game at 1920x1080 with all details set at high, (except I have turned the mirrors off) AA x2.

I am getting a constant 70-80fps on a 2012 ASUS RoG G74sx. i72326qm @ 2.0ghz, GTX 560m 3gb, 8gb RAM.

How is this possible you ask?

I have no idea.:confused::confused:
good software and optimization man.

Ok so I'm gonna buy myself a PC.. This one's what I'm thinking at them moment. I'm guessing it will run AC perfectly fine but anyone have any opinions on it?

Yeah I know that, not an expert but I know that much. Just checking if anyone knows more about these things than me who thinks I should skip this specific package for some reason. :)
nah it a good base, if you wanna go more graphic heavy you'd might wanna invest in a better cpu, and psu but for now it juuuuust fine.

nah it a good base, if you wanna go more graphic heavy you'd might wanna invest in a better cpu, and psu but for now it juuuuust fine.
But that's upgradeable at a later stage right? I think this level of graphics will do just fine at the moment since what I'm used to is like big blocks of pixels, but always good to have options for the future.

Ok so I'm gonna buy myself a PC.. This one's what I'm thinking at them moment. I'm guessing it will run AC perfectly fine but anyone have any opinions on it?
That's pretty much what I'm looking at http://pcpartpicker.com/user/JohnnyPenso/saved/Z8grxr

I am getting a different case though, so I have enough room if I want to add a second 970 somewhere down the road and a 750W PSU just in case. RAM you should be able to add quite easily later on if you need it, the only thing missing in yours is a traditional hard drive, which you might want to add for storing stuff outside of your game files. They are dirt cheap too, over here maybe $60 and up for 1TB although an external would do just as well.

That's pretty much what I'm looking at http://pcpartpicker.com/user/JohnnyPenso/saved/Z8grxr

I am getting a different case though, so I have enough room if I want to add a second 970 somewhere down the road and a 750W PSU just in case. RAM you should be able to add quite easily later on if you need it, the only thing missing in yours is a traditional hard drive, which you might want to add for storing stuff outside of your game files. They are dirt cheap too, over here maybe $60 and up for 1TB although an external would do just as well.
Yeah I'm adding a traditional hard drive for storing stuff on, forgot to mention that. But ok then I feel this should do good. Thanks for the advice and see you on track. :)

Yeah I'm adding a traditional hard drive for storing stuff on, forgot to mention that. But ok then I feel this should do good. Thanks for the advice and see you on track. :)
You might look into a "K" series 4790 if you are at all into overclocking. The K comes with a 4.0 stock clock as opposed to 3.5 for the non-K as well. I'm not planning on overclocking and might never use it, but for $20 it's a good option to have, if I ever go triple screen and two GPU's for example.

Does this look like a decent spec to run AC through my 42" LCD TV... cheers

The Vortex 750 Gaming PC Specification Snapshot:
  • Intel® Core™ i5-4590
  • ASUS® Z97M-PLUS
  • 8GB Kingston DDR3 1600MHz
  • 2GB AMD RADEON™ R9 270X
  • 1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s

• Intel® Core™ i5-4590
    • ASUS® Z97M-PLUS

The graphics card will hold you back. Get the cheapest non stock r9 290, GTX780, GTX970 you can, will make wonders. Other than that, no problem.

• Intel® Core™ i5-4590
    • ASUS® Z97M-PLUS
I forgot, get a decent psu as well 650-700w for single gpu and 850-1000w for dual gpu

My rig is an upgraded one but here is the parts:

Case: Corsair 330R
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700W
Mother board: Asus Z97-A
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 PC12800/1600MHz CL9 2x8GB
CPU: Intel i5-4690K@4.2GHz
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 Windforce 3X OC HDMI DP 2xDVI 4GB @1040MHz
Mouse: Logitech G602
Keyboard: Logitech K520
Monitor: AOC 2963 29-inch 2560x1080 21:9 (Waiting for the Oculus Rift)

The Vortex is easy to configure to a similar build.
With a GTX970 you will have even more performance.
It's more along how much you want to spend.

Latest update to AC 1.03
Fps 70-90 with 23 Ai cars and driving the Ferrari 458 GT2
Settings: (Just for people to know for comparison)

2560x1080
Default PP
Normal
medium
medium
Crep on, Heat on, fxaa on
Anis 16x
AA 2x
Max world detail
Med shadow resolution
Normal smoke gen
No smoke in mirrors
Normal mirror res
Low reflection Quality
Low reflection rendering freq

Just to share how my system (GTX760, old Core i7 860, 1080p screen) handles v1.0RC:

AC Graphical Settings | AF 8x | AA 4x | World Detail Max | Shadow Resolution Ultra | Reflection Quality Low | Reflection Rendering Medium | Post Processing Enabled | Overall Quality High | Glare Quality High | DoF Off | Color Saturation 100% | Blur, Rays, Shimmering, FXAA Off | High quality mirrors | smoke in mirrors
Nvidia Inspector Settings | Maximum Prerendered Frames 1

With this I'm getting 80-90fps when hotlapping, 60-70fps when racing 20+ AI. Some occasional jaggies but it looks very good.

Buying a modern PC with a GTX760, 770 or 970 seems like plenty to me. Moving up to a GTX980 would only be needed for completely maxing all settings and/or triple screens.

Last edited:
I'm running AC on this setup:
Intel Core i5 4690 quad core 3.5Ghz CPU
EVGA Nvidia GTX-760 SC 2GB GPU
Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD
G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb DDR3 RAM
Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
Playstation 4 DualShock 4 Controller

I usually keep it locked at 60fps, but it will drop with 24 cars all crashing at once, causing lots of smoke effects. Most settings are maxed out, though some are only in medium settings. Could probably get a bit better performance if i turn some settings off or down, yet not impact the overall look of things much.

*EDIT*
After a bit of tweaking and testing, FPS goes up to 140 with a single car on Monza, and drops to around 70-80 FPS with a full grid. Only turned off V-Sync and motion blur, and left AA at 4X and AF at 8X.

Last edited:

• Intel® Core™ i5-4590
    • ASUS® Z97M-PLUS
270X is very good for this game and 1080P. In 2 years much stronger GPUs will be out for much heavier games. So, get 270X for AC now without hesitation.

Hey guys. I'm looking to jump into this pool but not sure if I want to go through the hassle of building a custom PC. I currently have a triple screen setup that I'll want it to run on, but the screens are only 720p at 60hz so I don't think it will need the most powerful box to run those. Here's a few "off the shelf" pre-assembled boxes I've been looking at, they are what they are and I can't swap out parts, but based on my research I think they should be able to run AC and other sims fairly well on my 720p monitors. Any thoughts?

http://www.frys.com/product/8292376?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

http://www.frys.com/product/8302567?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...1311288866.p?id=mp1311288866&skuId=1311288866

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpo...rive/5113668.p?id=1219109722264&skuId=5113668

I'm leaning towards one of the first two (at Fry's), mainly because they have them on the shelf and I could pick one up after work instead of waiting a week or two for shipping, and they're a name brand I recognize and have confidence in.

My biggest question is the amount of vram needed on the 760. I've seen murmurings that anything over 2gb on the 760 is a bit of a waste because it can't fully process it all. But considering I'm running 3 screens (albeit at only 720p) am I going to need at least a 3gb card to be happy or will the 2gb model suffice? Most seem to offer the 2gb version but there are some with 3gb or 4gb 760's. And yes, I know the 760 isn't the world's biggest and fastest GPU but it seems to be a fairly good card and that's about the best I've been able to find in these premade boxes. Would any of these boxes be able to be upgraded to a GTX 970 in the future or will the motherboard/CPU not be able to handle it?

I'm not one that needs everything to be on Ultra settings but I want to at least be on High settings with close to 60fps for maybe 2-3 years of use.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Hope to be seeing some of you in AC or iRacing soon. :cheers:

Hey guys. I'm looking to jump into this pool but not sure if I want to go through the hassle of building a custom PC. I currently have a triple screen setup that I'll want it to run on, but the screens are only 720p at 60hz so I don't think it will need the most powerful box to run those. Here's a few "off the shelf" pre-assembled boxes I've been looking at, they are what they are and I can't swap out parts, but based on my research I think they should be able to run AC and other sims fairly well on my 720p monitors. Any thoughts?

http://www.frys.com/product/8292376?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

http://www.frys.com/product/8302567?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...1311288866.p?id=mp1311288866&skuId=1311288866

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpo...rive/5113668.p?id=1219109722264&skuId=5113668

I'm leaning towards one of the first two (at Fry's), mainly because they have them on the shelf and I could pick one up after work instead of waiting a week or two for shipping, and they're a name brand I recognize and have confidence in.

My biggest question is the amount of vram needed on the 760. I've seen murmurings that anything over 2gb on the 760 is a bit of a waste because it can't fully process it all. But considering I'm running 3 screens (albeit at only 720p) am I going to need at least a 3gb card to be happy or will the 2gb model suffice? Most seem to offer the 2gb version but there are some with 3gb or 4gb 760's. And yes, I know the 760 isn't the world's biggest and fastest GPU but it seems to be a fairly good card and that's about the best I've been able to find in these premade boxes. Would any of these boxes be able to be upgraded to a GTX 970 in the future or will the motherboard/CPU not be able to handle it?

I'm not one that needs everything to be on Ultra settings but I want to at least be on High settings with close to 60fps for maybe 2-3 years of use.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Hope to be seeing some of you in AC or iRacing soon. :cheers:

The boxes (the two from Fry's) I looked at have borderline power supplies* which doubtfully would stand up to an upgraded video card.
The boxes you list would be ok for a single monitor but no way I would go with that card for triple monitors. no way.
For the money you are looking at spending you can do much, much better.
Putting together a box is really not much of a hassle. Newegg, tomshardware are both good resources to learn what is involved in speccing and building up a machine. A little patience and work at this point in the process will pay off in satisfaction in both the short and long term.
Good luck.

* nvidia recommends a minimum 500W system power for the gtx760. One of those Fry's boxes has a 300W power supply.

Last edited:
The boxes (the two from Fry's) I looked at have borderline power supplies* which doubtfully would stand up to an upgraded video card.
The boxes you list would be ok for a single monitor but no way I would go with that card for triple monitors. no way.
For the money you are looking at spending you can do much, much better.
Putting together a box is really not much of a hassle. Newegg, tomshardware are both good resources to learn what is involved in speccing and building up a machine. A little patience and work at this point in the process will pay off in satisfaction in both the short and long term.
Good luck.

* nvidia recommends a minimum 500W system power for the gtx760. One of those Fry's boxes has a 300W power supply.

Thanks. Remember that my monitors are only 720p @ 60hz though, which means they are far less demanding. Three 720p monitors is not a whole lot more than one 1080p monitor. And because they're only 60hz I believe that means I'll basically be capped at 60fps, so I don't need anything super powerful because my monitors can only handle so much. I'm aware of the power supply, but those are cheap/easy to upgrade so I'm not too worried about that.

I really don't want the hassle of buying all the parts separately and then paying someone even more money to assemble them, and then have a half dozen different warranty's to deal with if something goes wrong. When I looked at piecing one together the cost quickly gets astronomical and I can't afford that. I just want something that will run my lowly monitors at High settings and allow me to enjoy AC or iRacing, my preliminary research suggests that the 760 should be able to do that.

Bying a computer today I would go for a custom one and build it myself. The lowest GFX card I would buy today would be a GTX970 or a R9-290. Both need a 500w-650 psu. It's really simple.

If I was not able to build my own I would by a system from Puget, Main gear.
A slightly modified build from this example would be a good computer:

http://www.maingear.com/boutique/pc/configurePrd.asp?idproduct=1993

Just add a better gfx card.

Thanks. Remember that my monitors are only 720p @ 60hz though, which means they are far less demanding. Three 720p monitors is not a whole lot more than one 1080p monitor. And because they're only 60hz I believe that means I'll basically be capped at 60fps, so I don't need anything super powerful because my monitors can only handle so much. I'm aware of the power supply, but those are cheap/easy to upgrade so I'm not too worried about that.

I really don't want the hassle of buying all the parts separately and then paying someone even more money to assemble them, and then have a half dozen different warranty's to deal with if something goes wrong. When I looked at piecing one together the cost quickly gets astronomical and I can't afford that. I just want something that will run my lowly monitors at High settings and allow me to enjoy AC or iRacing, my preliminary research suggests that the 760 should be able to do that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1874276

One stop shopping. Add $100 for your choice of OS, maybe $20 for a keyboard and mouse if you need one.
If you watch all the videos of how to put it together twice it will take you 2 hrs to put it together yourself.

This gives you everything you get in the pre-fabs, but with a good 850W power supply and lots of room in the case.
Room to grow. To be able to upgrade video card, adding a sound card to run simvibe, this will keep you from having to replace your box in order to upgrade it.

To each their own though.

Back