Penalties cause Safety Rating Apathy

• Thread starter sixty4half
  • 3 comments
United States
United States
The current penalty system is making lobbies worse than better. Two points; I usually put a lot of effort into my Safety Rating. It was almost always S in GTS and any time it dropped I would focus the next 2 races on only safety. Lobbies were pretty different in GTS and getting into an A lobby could be bad, and it could snowball into a B rating and those lobby's were brutal. Now there is no difference. If I have an S I get As and Bs in my lobbies. I currently have a B and I still see the same people.

Leads me to my point about Penalties. I try to drive safe but the penalty system hits you with such odd penalties that you end up getting SR hits anyways. If I'm going to get SR hits for nothing, then when people are being jerks, I might as well start racing "Elbows Out." There is no incentive to not. I dont get better lobbies and I end up getting penalties for things other people are doing. At this point, you are rewarded by making moves that force others to take penalties.

In the first couple of laps in the linked video, I often pull back and make other maneuvers to avoid all the chaos around me. L2 T1 I get dove into by a guy .4 secs behind and he rightly gets a penalty but then in the first S he brake checks on an Apex and I barely tap him, you probably can't even tell in the video, and I get a penalty longer than his. Then later, (about 5:26) a guy takes the corner before the short bridge to fast and goes wide. I give him plenty of room to rejoin but he slides back into middle of bridge when the proper line is to the far right. We rub, barely, and I'm hit with a penalty.

Last edited:
They say GT7 outsold GTS but I honestly don’t know. From my list I see only half of those GTS players in GT7. Maybe that’s why we’re seeing lobbies mixed like that.

All I know is that my first 10 online races in GT7 managed to drop my rating from S over to B, most lobbies were full of rammers, etc. Now it’s back to A but it’s a pain.

So I can only say the opposite of what you criticize Yes, there is a driver who is not sooo nice, but since GT7 my SR has been from B (I had a very bad series of races when the values were taken from GTS). S risen and no longer fallen. I'm still a B/S driver and have seen a lot of very clean drivers in the last few days. I had a lot of fun driving like that.

They say GT7 outsold GTS but I honestly don’t know. From my list I see only half of those GTS players in GT7. Maybe that’s why we’re seeing lobbies mixed like that.

All I know is that my first 10 online races in GT7 managed to drop my rating from S over to B, most lobbies were full of rammers, etc. Now it’s back to A but it’s a pain.
They're also spread out across 2 generations of consoles and unless things changed, there's no cross play.
Apologies ahead of time if I'm incorrect.

Last edited:
Back