Pet Projects Part 1: RUF CTR2 '96

• Thread starter brambos
  • 42 comments
Burammm
ctr2.jpg

Every week I'm picking a car that gets forgotten between all the fancy race cars and turn it into a fun driving machine. This week it's the RUF CTR2 '96, one of the closest things in the game we have to a Porsche 911 Turbo.

In GT5 the CTR2's setup is a bit dull. Its 4WD drivetrain makes it less twitchy than the infamous Yellowbird, but always remember the engine is still in the back.. so once it starts moving its rear you have to floor the pedal to get it back on track - very counterintuitive the first few times.

I've driven it many laps around the twisty Deep Forest raceway to come to the most enjoyable setup. To make this CTR2 come alive here's my how-to...

Shopping list:
- RUF CTR2 '96 from the UCD (do engine refresh and chassis restoration)
- Racing Hard Tyres
- Mid RPM Turbo kit
- LSD
- Torque distributing centre diff.
- Adjustable Sports suspension kit
- Paint chip (I used Maziora Trapezium - color changing paint)

With the turbo it gets 626BHP. The following settings will help you get that power to the tarmac efficiently...

Suspension settings:
Ride Height: -4 -4
Spring rate: 8.0 8.4
Dampers: 3 3
Camber: 1.6 0.4

LSD settings:
Initial Torque: 10 10
Accell sens.: 15 15
Braking sens.: 15 15

Torque dist.: 34 66
Brake balance: 7 7

Now it has suddenly become a really fun car to throw around the most twisty tracks. This is one car that deserves to be more in the spotlights around here! 👍

Anyone else have a pet project to share for this week?

I don't have a pet project yet, but I will when I get home. I like this idea. I have so many cars in my garage that I don't use. Time to get the dust off of them and have a little fun.

Put some sport hard tires on it instead of racing tires. ;)

I think that's what it comes with from the UCD. But I think the 600+ bhp puts it into the racing category, so I figured it deserved racing tyres.

But there's nothing more subject to personal preference around here than tyres :sly:

just going to give you a heads up, these are more suited to the tuning forum.

Ive got a few pet projects on the go including my fiat 500 drifter, and going to start work on a as yet unknown time attack car, but it will be something different though

Last edited:
I think that's what it comes with from the UCD. But I think the 600+ bhp puts it into the racing category, so I figured it deserved racing tyres.

Well I thought you wanted a project? :P

(See the second link in my sig if you're wondering where I'm coming from)

Last edited:
As I'm actually looking at my CTR2 right now, I can share my settings for it.

Note that I'm waiting for another one to show up in the used car dealership, so there is no weight reduction or engine tuning done yet:

533 BHP, 72 kgfm, 1380 kg

Parts:
- 6-speed close ratio transmission
- LSD
- Torque Dist. centre diff.
- Tires according to taste. I use sports grade.

Settings (front / rear):
LSD, Inital: 7 / 7
LSD, Acceleration: 10 / 20
LSD, Braking: 10 / 25

Torque dist.: 25 / 75

Suspension, ride height: -5 / -20
Suspension, spring rate: 6.9 / 9.4
Suspension, dampers: 2 / 3
Suspension, camber: 1.3 / 0

Brake balance: 4 / 1
(increase with tire grip)

I agree that this car is a really fun, fast, drive.

Good thread!

nice project that, and ive often though about spending some time testing withone of the Rufs!

currently im working on a tuned Lancia Stratos. great car and its not massivly tunable but getting the suspension just right is taking some doing :)

Maziora Trapezium? umm WHERE do you get colour-changing paint?

That comes from the FT-86 G-Sport concept, all the colour choices are Maziora something. Otherwise you can get them from TVR's and a few other things, not sure what else, though.

My pet project this week was the Volvo 240 GLT, but that's a pretty predictable story. Previous projects have included the AZ-1, X540 Chaser (amazing car, that) and the C63 AMG which I tried to turn into a drift machine. In the end it was easy enough; full weight reduction, turn off traction control...

neemat, done the same thing only played with the suspenion a bit to help its turn in, its really good as a drift car

I think this Car is really good.
I just did the non-power upgrades (FC Suspension, LSD, FC Tranny, weight etc) and its a blast to drive (Sports or Racing Tires).

Know I have a question:
Everytime (almost) someone posts his suspension settings the front is higher than the rear (ride height)
=> Why ?
I don´t get it because I tried it and it is slower (for me)

I think this Car is really good.
I just did the non-power upgrades (FC Suspension, LSD, FC Tranny, weight etc) and its a blast to drive (Sports or Racing Tires).

I tried that first, but it could use some extra oomph in this case to bring out the playful side of the car (e.g. To induce some controlled drifts in fast corners). The turbo did the trick and it needed nothing else.

I tried a bit of racing with sports tires, and indeed it works well with this setup. It's still controllable but more slide and drift prone :)

As I'm actually looking at my CTR2 right now, I can share my settings for it.

Suspension, ride height: -5 / -20

Why do you have the rear lower than the front ?

I always thought that a golden rule when setting up a performance car was to have the front slightly lower than the rear.

I tried my CTR2 out on an Eifel course-creator track I threw together one day. It's a bit of a monster, but the diffs (I swear) are not working as they would on the real car. The front diff feels open, and it seems that far too much power falls out of the inside front tyres in a cloud of smoke, implying that the centre diff isn't working as it should, either.

The first upgrade for me would be the LSD and, maybe, the centre diff. The car is drift-able stock, on stock tyres, so getting a nice neutral differential setup will (I hope) bring the car alive. Since GT2, the fastest way to drive this car has been sideways... :P

Hey, what if we created a club for pet projects? This would be better suited to the Tuning forum, sure, but there these would have the spotlights!

Hey, what if we created a club for pet projects? This would be better suited to the Tuning forum, sure, but there these would have the spotlights!

I like that idea. It could be inspirational and a nice way to find and discuss the little known gems in the carlot. We could even trade our optimized cars among ourselves.

How does it work, setting up a group?

That comes from the FT-86 G-Sport concept, all the colour choices are Maziora something. Otherwise you can get them from TVR's and a few other things, not sure what else, though.

My pet project this week was the Volvo 240 GLT, but that's a pretty predictable story. Previous projects have included the AZ-1, X540 Chaser (amazing car, that) and the C63 AMG which I tried to turn into a drift machine. In the end it was easy enough; full weight reduction, turn off traction control...

aah i thought you meant literally colour-changing, like some kind of weird technology :dunce: the paintwork in the pic does look odd though

i'm familiar with the "reflex" paint chips from the TVRs, they are awesome, saw one on another car too in the UCD, it was even named "reflex (something)" but i forget the car, nothing quite so exotic.

hadn't realised the Furai had similar paintwork, will check that out :)

Know I have a question:
Everytime (almost) someone posts his suspension settings the front is higher than the rear (ride height)

I have a question, why do we all speak in British accents when we're from outer space and there's no Britain?

My current project is a Nissan GTR SpecV '09. I race all kinds of cars round the 'Ring every night and this is for the 520-650hp bracket. I've been very pleased with it so far. For online racing I prefer a car that's forgiving and can ride those kerbs comfortably -- I want to fight other cars instead of my own car!

To-do: A little bit less understeer in general, and remove the swaying through some corners in the last sector.

Back