Pit stop delay, is it some kind of bug?

• Thread starter timvasvi
  • 52 comments
TM51
So there's been a few races I have done where I have had to pit for fuel.

Why does it take a solid 30 seconds between entering the pits and your car arriving at your crew for the stop? It destroys any lead/closing down you've done during the race.

Tried watching a replay to see what takes the car so long to arrive once auto drive takes charge, but even then it just cuts straight to the pit crew and you see them just standing there waiting.

As far as I'm aware it's not a bug mate, it's just how much time it takes the car to travel to the pit box, each track is different, Interlagos for example has a long exit instead of entry.

It should affect each car in the race the same, I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary (or different to GTS) personally.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a bug, it just isn't visually represented well to us. On certain tracks like High Speed Ring the pit time is around 40 seconds for me, but on other tracks like Catalunya it's quite a long entry/exit.

I do agree with you, it would help if we could see our cars going through the pit lane, as opposed to just seeing our pit crew waiting for us to arrive in our box.

It's not a bug. If you enter at the same time as an opponent car you will see they take as long to start refilling as you do.

I have an issue in Fuji and Redbull ring, when I leave the pit stop, the 3s penalization appears automatically even automatic drive still active

It destroys any lead/closing down you've done during the race.
I don't think it does affect your standing in the race. As far as I can tell, all the other drivers get the same delay. So I think it's all about the experience and whether it feels realistic or not.

I suspect they included a delay so that players had time to select their tyres and take a break. If they had made the delay shorter they could have got grumbles from players who felt it didn't give them enough time.

Could they have animated a pit arrival scene? Well, I suppose they could but that would have been quite a labour-intensive thing to do when there's nothing the player can do except drive to his pit crew and stop.

I have an issue in Fuji and Redbull ring, when I leave the pit stop, the 3s penalization appears automatically even automatic drive still active
I would guess that you’ve cut across a line somewhere on pit entry. Any chance you have saved it on replay to look back to see if that’s the case.

I don't think it does affect your standing in the race. As far as I can tell, all the other drivers get the same delay. So I think it's all about the experience and whether it feels realistic or not.
I really haven't checked every track for this, but at Le Mans the AI gets a ~10 second shorter pit stop than you. Every time I grind that track I come in to the pits with a 30 second lead and exit the pits with a 20 second lead even though both cars pitted on the same lap, changed tires and got full fuel.

I would guess that you’ve cut across a line somewhere on pit entry. Any chance you have saved it on replay to look back to see if that’s the case.
I don’t have any reply yet, so I try to simulate it.
Thanks for the tip

I really haven't checked every track for this, but at Le Mans the AI gets a ~10 second shorter pit stop than you. Every time I grind that track I come in to the pits with a 30 second lead and exit the pits with a 20 second lead even though both cars pitted on the same lap, changed tires and got full fuel.
I have come to exactly the same conclusion, after testing all the variables: even with a clean and fast pit entry, and taking a 10% smaller fuel load, I still loose 5-10 seconds to the AI. I’m surprised more folks aren’t pointing to this. How do I hire the AI’s pit crew?!?

Are you sure the AI are changing tyres?

I wish you could change the tyre choice right up until the car is in the box personally as a couple of times I’ve fallen foul to that - but then that’s not realistic I guess. Unless they animate a panic swap the tyres animation for the crew.

I have come to exactly the same conclusion, after testing all the variables: even with a clean and fast pit entry, and taking a 10% smaller fuel load, I still loose 5-10 seconds to the AI. I’m surprised more folks aren’t pointing to this. How do I hire the AI’s pit crew?!?
Same here at Le Mans. At first I thought they weren't changing tyres but doesn't seem to be that.

Perhaps the AI skips the actual pit stop animation portion of the stop and they just reach the box and immediately get new tyres and/or fuel. There's no evidence of that I've seen, but it could be why they have shorter stops than the player.

Though they probably aren't phyiscally doing anything when they dissapear, it's probably just a calculation of variables depending on the track and if the AI is changing tyres and/or fuel.

Last edited:
Perhaps the AI skips the actual pit stop animation portion of the stop and they just reach the box and immediately get new tyres and/or fuel. There's no evidence of that I've seen, but it could be why they have shorter stops than the player.

Though they probably aren't phyiscally doing anything when they dissapear, it's probably just a calculation of variables depending on the track and if the AI is changing tyres and/or fuel.
No you definitely see fuel going in on the position chart

Most likely just forcing us to watch the pit scenes someone probably spent a lot of time on but yet failed in so many ways to make sure there were no issues with. I swear every time I actually watch one of the pit scene sequences I find new stuff wrong with them. Most of it is car specific, but there’s also plenty wrong with the pit crews and equipment/buildings.

I've found the replays are never exact compared to what you did in the race. Most of it is canned racing with whatever car and livery you happen to have. If you hit a wall or something, your impact and what the replays show will always be different.
Be careful on pit entry, cutting the line there will score you a penalty.

Yes the tyre animation is a big bug bear of mine and early on used to make me panic when switching from drys to wets that I made the wrong selection (as my pit crew brought out another set of dry tyres).

The tyres in the animation will always be whatever are currently fitted to the car - irregardless of which tyre to change to that you selected on pit entry

Why does it take a solid 30 seconds between entering the pits and your car arriving at your crew for the stop? It destroys any lead/closing down you've done during the race.

Tried watching a replay to see what takes the car so long to arrive once auto drive takes charge, but even then it just cuts straight to the pit crew and you see them just standing there waiting.
Not a bug, but just annoying slow on some tracks like La Sarthe, close to a minute there with changing tires, full tank and 20 sec or more before the car is in the pit.

(Edit. Didn't notice this is a very old question now... :embarrassed:)

Last edited:
Not a bug, just lazy, cheap, and bad game design that as soon as you enter the pit lane, your car despawns for 30 seconds ( depending on the track) while you stare at a bunch of pit crew mannequins.

Really pathetic job, polyphony.

You can see the ai cars ahead of you despawning when they enter the pit lane too.

Each track has a hardcoded timer for how long you must stare at your frozen pit crew before your car blips back into existence. However, because polyphony are lazy and incompetent, they have botched this on a few tracks and given the AI a different time than the player. On Le Mans, for example, you will notice the AI reach their pit crew about 10 seconds faster than you do.

Last edited:
It does rake longer on some races like the 30 minute world touring car 700 i went in in 3rd place ahead of 4th by a straight away and im seeing from 4th to 9th pass me in the pits twice this happened and have to start back in tenth, i think AI ffff us especially if pull out a car that passing all of them, i seen AI do it before on a motocross game to give you more of a challenge now to beat the last pit stop, which is where im at

Enter in 1st, exit 8th

Theres a mathmatic formula for how long its going to take to pit. If you search its around here somewhere.

Back