PlayStation 4 General DiscussionPS4 

• Thread starter Sier_Pinski
  • 9,445 comments
Hey guys. I'm going to buy a racing game for my PS4, but before I make a choice I'd like to listen to some advice. I want a game that is simulation based, so right now I've got DiRT 4 and Project CARS as my only 2 options

As soon as I got to this point, I just thought "Buy DiRT 4, no question."

Then I read the rest and was like... Yeah, you're still better off with DiRT 4. The Gamer handling brings back the arcadey feel of DiRT 3 and makes the game accessible to those new to the rally genre. Plus accumulating cash is not difficult so you can enjoy a significant amount of the content even if you don't have much time to play (plus you can drive any car you like from the get go in freeplay).

Personally I wouldn't touch Project CARS (1 at least) at all, it ran horribly on the Xbox One and had poor controller support. Probably doesn't fare much better on a regular PS4.

it ran horribly on the Xbox One and had poor controller support. Probably doesn't fare much better on a regular PS4.
What do you mean by 'running horribly'? Do you mean that it has a poor framerate or the overall gameplay experience?

Also, can you freely switch from the 'gamer' handling to 'simulation' anytime on DiRT 4?

Thanks for the answer BTW. Much appreciated. 👍

Also, can you freely switch from the 'gamer' handling to 'simulation' anytime on DiRT 4?

You can switch anytime outside of an event.

Also, Dirt 4 has a tutorial mode that's very good for someone just learning to drive rally cars. I also had little experience and it's helped quite a bit.

What do you mean by 'running horribly'? Do you mean that it has a poor framerate or the overall gameplay experience?

Thanks for the answer BTW. Much appreciated. 👍

By running horribly, that was referring to the frame rate (the game never actually hits 60fps during a race with other cars), along with quite a lot of aliasing and screen tearing. As mentioned, this is probably less pronounced on the PS4 version but it still doesn't run as smoothly as DiRT 4.

And as @Northstar said, you can switch from gamer to sim handling at any time.

Hey guys. I'm going to buy a racing game for my PS4, but before I make a choice I'd like to listen to some advice. I want a game that is simulation based, so right now I've got DiRT 4 and Project CARS as my only 2 options, although you may also suggest other games that fall within my criteria (such as DiRT Rally). But I've got a few questions:
A quick reply will be appreciated. :)

I can only recommend to you one thing:

IF you REALLY care for simulation and reaslism,
AND IF you will be racing on a STEERING WHEEL on your PS4,
THE BEST simulation on PS4 currently is ASSETTO CORSA, hands down. It's pretty basic in lots of "gaming features" but in terms of simulation, handling, physics, and realism nothing comes close to it.

Cheers!

Its all personal preference really, were as i love project cars but i don't really like assetto corsa, i deleted that the other day actually..

Dirt rally is brilliant. aswell,

But having played car games with a wheel pedal and racing seat now for over a year i think, going back to a controller is utterly terrible to say the least..:(

The thing is we are all still waiting for a GT game really..:)

Has anybody had an issue with your PS4 where the system won't power on but the eject button will beep one time. No lights at any time. The power went out as I was sleeping. The system was playing Youtube.

After my first full week of having a PS4, I'm enjoying being re-acquainted with WipEout, though my reservations about buying a PS4 are also being borne out. I haven't been able to play Destiny yet because it wouldn't update at first, and it has been downloading slowly ever since - I guess it doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things, but I guess I am old-fashioned insomuch as I would quite like to play a game for the first time when I actually have some spare time, and not 36 hours later - next time I want to play a new game I'll remember to start installing it on a Thursday night :irked:

The front end of the PS4 is just horrific - there seems to be a whole bunch of useless stuff everywhere, and yet not even a simple category for games... having to Google a 'fix' for this is pretty irritating to say the least, as is spending an hour trying to figure out how to transfer music onto the PS4 to no avail... is it really not possible to put one's own media files on the PS4 hard drive? At this rate, I am sorely tempted to unplug the damn thing and just keep using my PS3 for the time being... the fact that the PS3 can do stuff that the PS4 cannot/will not is very annoying. I was using 'Media Player' to stream music from my laptop to play on the PS4, but that too seems woefully inept - it worked perfectly for one night, but now it hardly works at all... why?? Tracks stop playing mid-way through, if they play at all... again, if the PS3 can do it, then why can the PS4 not? Couple that with the fact that I am now paying for the privilege of playing online (which I don't really want, but I would like to be able to play online with my nephew at some point), and it doesn't add up to much of an improvement over the PS3 at all - in fact it feels like quite the opposite.

After my first full week of having a PS4, I'm enjoying being re-acquainted with WipEout, though my reservations about buying a PS4 are also being borne out. I haven't been able to play Destiny yet because it wouldn't update at first, and it has been downloading slowly ever since - I guess it doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things, but I guess I am old-fashioned insomuch as I would quite like to play a game for the first time when I actually have some spare time, and not 36 hours later - next time I want to play a new game I'll remember to start installing it on a Thursday night :irked:

The front end of the PS4 is just horrific - there seems to be a whole bunch of useless stuff everywhere, and yet not even a simple category for games... having to Google a 'fix' for this is pretty irritating to say the least, as is spending an hour trying to figure out how to transfer music onto the PS4 to no avail... is it really not possible to put one's own media files on the PS4 hard drive? At this rate, I am sorely tempted to unplug the damn thing and just keep using my PS3 for the time being... the fact that the PS3 can do stuff that the PS4 cannot/will not is very annoying. I was using 'Media Player' to stream music from my laptop to play on the PS4, but that too seems woefully inept - it worked perfectly for one night, but now it hardly works at all... why?? Tracks stop playing mid-way through, if they play at all... again, if the PS3 can do it, then why can the PS4 not? Couple that with the fact that I am now paying for the privilege of playing online (which I don't really want, but I would like to be able to play online with my nephew at some point), and it doesn't add up to much of an improvement over the PS3 at all - in fact it feels like quite the opposite.

I find I leave it in Rest mode and it downloads much quicker. All games need some sort of update these days but Destiny I believe was quite a large one like Doom was for me (15gb with the final game coming in at 79GB!), most discs you buy update in a few seconds to let you play and then download the rest in the background, if you buy digital it lets you download a small percentage and then play the first stage usually. It just takes time to get used to but it is a more more powerful machine long term. You can organise your games in to folders now in the latest update which works well, it is just different to PS3, I use both still (GT6) and I much prefer PS4 for the ease of use and the DS4. I don't stream music but have not heard too many bad things about the media player not working. (I agree this should be included without you searching for it) but when it first came out they went the opposite to MS and went for a console not a media player so features were dropped..but do understand your frustrations as we probably have all gone through them a 3/4 years ago and forgotten about them 👍

EDIT: I see Mr @torque99 has beaten me to it 👍 I forgot to mention his point of game size being well different from PS3 days.

...next time I want to play a new game I'll remember to start installing it on a Thursday night :irked:
I found it's always best to download from the store or pause big updates until the nighttime; always goes far, far faster, even with a great connection.

...here seems to be a whole bunch of useless stuff everywhere, and yet not even a simple category for games...
There is now a folders option, which you can use to put all the stuff you don't want into a group (with the exception of 'What's New and the PS Store.) Folders shift according to use of their contents, so regularly played games (and by definition the folder you put them in) stay the most accessible. Unfortunately, the folder with all the Sony supported peripheral stuff will stay in first position on the UI but now it'll be one folder instead of eight applications. It's the same as that godsawful Singstar thing that you couldn't remove from the PS3.

Just bought myself a PS4, mostly in preparation for GT Sport.

I got Driveclub to go with it, I mostly play racing games but play Sports games too.

My user is jameskent86451.

I know there is a thread for usernames but no-one has posted on there since early December!

Just bought myself a PS4, mostly in preparation for GT Sport.

I got Driveclub to go with it, I mostly play racing games but play Sports games too.

My user is jameskent86451.

I know there is a thread for usernames but no-one has posted on there since early December!

Welcome to ps4 world buddy, i highly recommend assetto corsa of you care about simulation realistic driving games and if you have a wheel!
I'll add you!

@Touring Mars -- Like @MeanElf suggested, I used folders to sort out the messy menu. One folder for racing, one for indies, another for any other games, then a folder called "Media Junk" for all the unwanted apps you can't delete.

As for playing music, I recommend the USB Music Player, which seems more convenient than the Media Player app. It's just like how I always listened to music through the Xbox 360, so I'm happy with it.

Tried HITMAN this evening and what a piece of crap it is. There is really nothing I found attractive in this game. I'll continue with D4 and TheCrew as well :D:cheers:
I was a BIG hitman fan and I tried this last demo! It was disappointing! So blend and easy!

Im trying to buy a monthly subscription for PS plus via PaySafe Card but I get a message that I need to register a bank card or Paypal account. Is there any way around this so I can pay with the Pay safe card?

Im trying to buy a monthly subscription for PS plus via PaySafe Card but I get a message that I need to register a bank card or Paypal account. Is there any way around this so I can pay with the Pay safe card?
Did you get this sorted? I have never used Paysafe only Paypal set up.? You could try phoning helpdesk or buying it from an online Store then using their 'redeem code'? 👍
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I now have 5TB storage (total) for the PS4 Pro :) most new releases seem to be coming in at 50GB + so I was close to the limit. I was having to delete one to play one! ..I thought about the new Playstation 2TB Seagate gamedrive coming out soon (£99) http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/consumer/play/game-drive-ps4/ but for not much more money you can get a Seagate PC 3.0 USB portable one that just plugs in the back. I went for a 4TB Seagate 3.0 USB fast transfer Plug&play with 2 year rescue warranty. (£110 on offer at the moment see link below) It was all set up in 2 mins (quick format-PS4 guides you) and I then transferred all files to the External HDD- Go to Storage >Applications>then press options>transfer to External (each 50gb game takes about 8-10mins) so I transferred over most of the games I do not use frequently. It was a lot easier than I thought! I have not noticed any difference in speed when it loads games as it does not say it is internal or external on your main menu and the good thing is you could use this USB storage in the future for Xbox One X or your PC once reformatted.
I hope this helps anyone else looking to increase their HDD who doesn't want the hassle of changing the standard interior HDD as you can always unplug it and keep the most used games on the 1TB console.👍
http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6557...vc:c|adp:1o1&gclid=CKS67u7B79QCFdAy0wod4ZUFTw

Playstation Helpful Guide
https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/g...are/storage---data/ps4--external-hdd-support/

6557870_R_Z003A

Last edited:
Does the PS4 have to stay on if I want to do Remote Play (Just got one a week ago and want to try it with Crash)?

Hi guys I was trying to use my usb mouse on the ps4 but cant control the pointer or anything, so I looked up some videos etc, and people posted a video showing settings, devices, controllers, they have an option i dont have..communication method where you can choose usb cable or wireless, showing how to use a mouse, why dont I have the option?

Or is it because we have to buy a specific mouse for the ps4?
method.jpg

Hi guys I was trying to use my usb mouse on the ps4 but cant control the pointer or anything, so I looked up some videos etc, and people posted a video showing settings, devices, controllers, they have an option i dont have..communication method where you can choose usb cable or wireless, showing how to use a mouse, why dont I have the option?

Or is it because we have to buy a specific mouse for the ps4?
View attachment 661469
Edit: I don't think I have seen that before? But that looks like it is only for the DS4 ^^^ usb or wireless not a mouse?... I will have a look later.👍

The big Summer Sale has started already!!. Although I agree with a Summer Discount to really push digital games the 2 Full Price ones I brought on release only in June at £55 and £50 are now in the sale Dirt4 and MXGP3 :mad:.

Heads up any one they are a bargain so soon after release 👍

It does make me think it really is worth pre-ordering (although I still gave in to Pcars2 and GT Sport :yuck:) .....

Then on the other hand I was looking at getting Mass Effect this week and it was £65 yesterday on the PS Store and now it is only £29! so I could make it all back.:)

I also read somewhere some new release games are now nearly 80% of revenue by way of a digital PSN download..That is unbelievable. There will only be a few 1000 people buying the discs soon. I have been converted already to digital mainly for the reason of previous scratched discs and it is so easy to flick between games without swapping discs if you are sat in your wheel set up!:gtpflag:

Last edited:
If games go download only then im out of the consoles.....Far too big to download on my speed.
I can't see that happening for a while yet on the PS4, there will always be a market for the disc and music cds, but I do see it coming at some point in the near future...saying that I see old vinyl records are taking off again so who knows? ...:cheers:

p.s Have you thought about going just fibre, most providers can use your existing telephone line with just a new updated Faster Router. I could never get cable due to where I live but fibre is different once fitted to the exchange it uses my overhead telephone line still and doesn't cost much more say £5 per month etc I didn't even need to be at home when it went live it was all done by the engineer. I now get 38-45mbs d/load and 10mb upload and all unlimited data, which I never thought I could. Worth looking into when renewal is up. 👍

Last edited:
Back