PlayStation 5 Pro: Coming November 2024, $700/€800

• Thread starter Jtheripper
  • 295 comments
Can't be anything else really can it? Has to be the Pro announcement.
It will be a surprise if it wasn't. Heard about it going to be this day last week so was looking forward to seeing improvements in action.

Hopefully they added AV1 recording for better standard game recording quality and reduced power consumption at idle and streaming over the standard PS5 as I mainly used to use my PS4 for streaming Sky. It will be interesting to see what node/s this is on.

The increased memory bandwidth and more efficient memory system with a more powerful GPU could improve games that are more CPU demanding by a decent chunk. Will try and get one day one if it does not get out of stock straightaway, this seems a much better buy than the PS4 Pro was as that was mainly a bit more of a resolution bump than bigger visual and audio enhancements we are getting this time around. This is the biggest increase in mid-generation hardware performance, almost like getting a generational leap in GPU technology as it's the very best AMD has to offer, even looks beyond their 2025 GPUs in feature set due to PSSR. This thing will sell incredibly well, much more than the share PS4 Pro managed if it is priced close to PS5 disc version. Hopefully they offer bundled version with disc at a discount if it is just a digital SKU.

£700 is obscene. Like, that's crazy.

In game Ray Tracing for GT7 though.

Not worth £700 though, to anyone.

November 7th release if you're mad enough to pay it.

Last edited:
I am not sure as I had to watch the presentation without sound and subtitles, but is there a disc drive? I didn't see one.

"I wonder how much I could sell my PS5 For"
- Every PS5 Owner Ever

J/K, I don't think I'll do the upgrade as I mostly just play GT7 in PSVR2 and I'm thinking there won't be any improvements in that scenario.

Jerome

At that price point, it is going to be lower demand product especially as it is no disc drive at that price. Really needed to be 100 less. Still good value but not at the mass market price point needed, was worried that might be the case with the new Sony president wanting to improve PlayStation margins. At least it will be much easier to buy and won't cannibalise the base console sales for them. Not sure if I will get one day one now as I can see them doing promos on it at that price point.

"I wonder how much I could sell my PS5 For"
- Every PS5 Owner Ever

J/K, I don't think I'll do the upgrade as I mostly just play GT7 in PSVR2 and I'm thinking there won't be any improvements in that scenario.

Jerome
I'd expect improvements in the VR experience because that is a graphics hog, and the Pro's calling card is improved graphics performance.

My problem is no drive, so my disc-based GT7 experience would be rather expensive, either from having to buy a digital download or from the add-on drive.

Sony have completely lost the plot. Can't even be bothered to include a vertical stand that probably costs them like a dollar to make.

€799 is IN-SANE.
Well, yen is worthless right now so they need to make as much money in other currencies as they could to make up the differences.

I personally will wait for PS6.

I knew the price would be through the roof.

So if I want a PS5 Pro with a disc drive and want it standing up vertically that's £825.. yep £825!! The £450 I paid for my original PS5 is starting to look like a bargain lol

No one in their right mind should buy this, how can a 'Pro' console not come with a disk drive....

What I want to know is the existing vertical stand for ps5 slim compatible with ps5 pro just like disc drive is?

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

PlayStation 5 Pro Revealed: Launches November 7, at $699.99

After a little tease late last week, Sony has officially unveiled the PlayStation 5 Pro console ahead of its launch later this year...

For $700, I could afford almost three of my monthly car payments. Meanwhile, I’m happily playing GT7 on a base PS4. If there’s no GT8 coming to this system, nor the next Ace Combat title in the near future, I think I’m infintely more likely to get the upcoming Switch successor that’s going to be announced by next March. (Especially since I never got around to buying a Switch, ever since I heard rumors of the successor.)

Apparently, making a super-niche PRO version that has a main advantage of being a more powerful thingy for all of the RTX-and-other "I don't want to optimize my game" technologies is a much better decision than making exclusive,exciting and optimized games...
PS5 still barely has any good games that truly justify the purchase of a base PS5 over a PS4...the free pack in Astrobot demo game is one of the best games on the whole system, and the store is filled with total trash that has not even been moderated really. And let's slap a price of almost 900 Euro for a console, stand and disc drive. And don't forget to also buy an expensive SSD if you want to play more than 5 games...

Why not just stick with the PS5 and push the actual games and optimizations? I mean, PS6 is not that far off...not like GT8 is gonna happen anytime soon :)

So the PS5Pro is almost as big as the original PS5.
Looks I will be perfectly happy with my PS5 for the next 2 years still...
That's a good news for me, no reasons to upgrade.

Last edited:
I'll get one 🤷‍♂️ Already have a disc drive here expecting this.

Everything is as expected I think. Figured at least 600 and seeing how these companies are these days, they wouldn't want to include a disc drive. I'll sell my current PS5 for a few hundred to make a big dent in this. Use the $200 in amazon points I believe I have. Won't cost much after all that.

Looking forward to my games running/looking even better. Side note: Platinum'd Astro Bot on Sunday. Excellent game. Slightly disappointed there wasn't like a cute car/track/kart themed level for Gran Turismo. Absolutely deserves one. I hope the reception, renewed talk of old IPs, and potentially good sales means Sony will make a bigger effort to bring back some of these dormant titles.

Now off to go play Space Marine 2.

Last edited:
Some get made that we have a Pro on the market. Fare enough. But do we really need a new graphics card next year? A new iPhone every year? New Android? New pedals? New wheel attachment? New TV model of the same 4K brand? List goes on.

This thing is over 1K in Aus. To be fair it’s kinda what the price I was expecting. We probably got spoilt with the OG PS5 price but what the pro offers it’s probably what the price would be. I know we don’t want that price but we live in inflation times and most PC’s that perform like the PS5 or pro will be much higher priced. Not including a disk drive as well as not including a monitor, mouse and keyboard. It’s how business works.

I’m not getting one any time soon. But just saying we don’t get mad when other companies are pumping out devices or hardware every year and jacking the prices up. I’d rather have Sony and PlayStation alive and well than bankrupt. Personally I wish the console was around 800 Aus or 850 with a disk drive. I don’t like the attachment system. The stand should always be included. Also wish the stick drift was fixed permanently.

Yeah $700 for the Pro plus $80 for the disc drive since I have the reg disk version. That's a little steep for me. For that amount of money I can get quite a few games on wishlist and still have a few hundred left over for other stuff. I'm pretty sure it is a great machine but there no killer apps for it that would come close to justifying that price.

Back