PlayStation 5 Pro: Coming November 2024, $700/€800

• Thread starter Jtheripper
  • 309 comments
Should add 16g at least ram memory, coh3 is another game ported from pc that gets stunted because of this lack, no in-game replays because of tech limitations..
And cpu bump wouldn't hurt.
But they add rt and higher res..

I still fail to see the point for the average consumer. I don't think it'll outright flop - people like having the best of something, even if they don't really need what its offering or even know what it actually does - but it'll be a hard sell, especially as there are still cross-gen games coming which are feature complete and provide the same experiences as the versions on the current systems, even if they don't look quite as nice and the loading is slow as hell.
PS5 Pro is not for the average consumer. It’s for the 20% of gamers that want the best console experience. PS4 Pro sold some 20m units at a premium price. There’s also the fact Xbox won’t offer a mid-gen upgrade so you’ll get lots of tech enthusiasts jumping over to PS5 Pro.

PS5/Series X games are now severely compromised with options for Quality & Performance modes. Image quality in Performance mode is often sub 1080p which is unacceptable on modern TV’s. RT performance is also very poor on current gen machines.

The jump in RT performance and PSSR (Sony’s version of DLSS) should offer a much bigger jump from PS5 to PS5 Pro. PS4 to PS4 Pro was basically a resolution bump.

There is mention that the Pro GPU will allow for visual effects the base PS5 GPU can not do. With PSVR2 highlighted as potential benefactor. Due to enhanced API features.

I think the release of the PS5 PRO and XBOX not getting anything is a good thing as I heard Microsoft are going sooner to their next new generation that is very powerful, this may cause Sony to hasten PS6, which is fine by me.

Last edited:
There is mention that the Pro GPU will allow for visual effects the base PS5 GPU can not do. With PSVR2 highlighted as potential benefactor. Due to enhanced API features.

I think the release of the PS5 PRO and XBOX not getting anything is a good thing as I heard Microsoft are going sooner to their next new generation that is very powerful, this may cause Sony to hasten PS6, which is fine by me.
Xbox’s only credible hardware options are a handheld or system closer to PC. In other words a machine that won’t be subsidised and be particularly niche.

Either way I don’t see Microsoft being a significant player in the console space after this gen. Not when it looks like all their titles will come to PlayStation and (possibly) Nintendo platforms.

Begging for a solution with internal disc drive instead of the "additional package" like the Slim has to deal with.

I'll wait for a GT7 loading time comparison between the PS5 and PS5 Pro before I pull the trigger. Or, at leas that is what I'm telling myself.

Jerome

Last edited:
I made some light adjustments to the sketch just to get a better idea:

1724945291727.png

Wishing for the best and expecting little; maybe this'll coincide with a GT7 3.0 update. I believe last November was 2.0? Maybe we'll get a nice bundle of cars like before, some new fan requested features, and some performance/visual updates for the Pro 🤷‍♂️

The Pro will be a Day 1 purchase for me regardless. Although I'll be pretty annoyed if I have to buy a disc drive separately.

Last edited:
The only down side for me having two USB-C and two USB 3.0 ports instead of the 3 is that I use a Fanatec CSL elite, so that needs the old usb. Then there’s a port for my headset dongle then if I play Project Cars or AC those are on my portable HDD. So you see I’m short one older usb now than I was with the og PS5. There’s work arounds for sure. Don’t use my headset, transfer PS4 games to internal Storage. Buy a newer fanatec wheel. But it’s about the convenience I currently have. Any who I’ll manage. lol.

Notice how people are talking about buying a midlife upgrade of the PS5 instead of playing games on it.

Last edited:
Notice how people are talking about buying a midlife upgrade of the PS5 instead of playing games on it.
I only play one thing on PS5. That'll be GT7. Now I only play that in VR. If it improves the VR experience then I'll get one as soon as I can. Beyond that, it really depends on how GT7 takes advantage of the Pro's capabilities. Realistically I would not expect significant upgrades in GT7 until PS8 comes out in 3 years and then it'll be GT8.

These Pro models started off pointless and frankly this is even worse. The regular PS5 is already really powerful, so I don't see why these are necessary. Hard pass
Believe it or not but the PS5 is not powerful enough to drive PSVR2 without significant lowering of resolution. Improvements here so that distance drawing is not so soft (lower resolution) and so that you do not get image pop up at drawing distance would improve the experience a lot. Also eliminating Foveated rendering would improve screen capture when in VR. Currently it is only in HD resolution with the periphery looks like something that was digitized from a 10 year old VHS tape..

Last edited:
These Pro models started off pointless and frankly this is even worse. The regular PS5 is already really powerful, so I don't see why these are necessary. Hard pass
It runs quite a few games in just 30fps in quality mode. An upgrade would be welcomed in my books.

Yeah, if this can eradicate pointless console performance modes and just blanket 4k60 everything then that must be a win, if games like GT7 get a visual boost and can have RTX everywhere plus 4k VR.

I'm on the fence. I only bought my Playstation 5 last year at an agreeable price. It's a lovely bit of hardware in almost every sense and makes my loud and portly PC feel positively ancient.

In regards to the 'ummph' aka power the current PS5 you get the feeling it's adequate but not spectacular with the 720p 60fps, 1440p 30fps standard you normally see now.

It the new Pro brings significant improvements on a large range of games and brings it in line with a top PC then it could be a compelling offering.

I purchased a LG oled and a ps5 and a fanatec gtddpro when gt7 came out and I only play that so I cannot see me buying this unless there is an advantage in the dailies to do so

Problem with res and fps is, devs and publishers, however the level of hardware in consoles, they keep pushing for looks, 1st impression, adding graphics that look good in pics or slow moving gameplay, and top up max pc settings to give this impression to sell.

And dont give enough time, priority to optimize, so we get console games that barely can run smoothly and have decent image with no stutter, and good distance lod etc.

And we get rt quality mode that is unplayable too, which is completely useless in my view, i tried a few and it's ridiculous, on ps5.

Also i wish they'd push cpu and add ram memory instead of just gpu, its so cheap, and can help pc style games ported over, etc.

I got a ps5 a year ago, unless i get near the price i paid for it as credit on a new console, im not gonna put out another almost 500 with tax maybe Canadian, for it.

Plus there's barely any storage, and they cost a bundle to bump up a lot. And the way i use my system and play games, i need a good amount of it.
Always cool to get better hardware, but we just started to get newgen only games, and no time to get optimized games to the max for it before new hardware gives publishers an excuse to not do that for less than top of the line new hardware.

If i had no limit budget, I'd be glad to get better hardware, but even then, they milk us already with often poor add-ons, dlc..

And it doesn't make them do better games, just flashier, in most cases.
For me it's important they make interesting games run well, and bug free.

Last edited:
I only play one thing on PS5. That'll be GT7. Now I only play that in VR. If it improves the VR experience then I'll get one as soon as I can. Beyond that, it really depends on how GT7 takes advantage of the Pro's capabilities. Realistically I would not expect significant upgrades in GT7 until PS8 comes out in 3 years and then it'll be GT8.

Believe it or not but the PS5 is not powerful enough to drive PSVR2 without significant lowering of resolution. Improvements here so that distance drawing is not so soft (lower resolution) and so that you do not get image pop up at drawing distance would improve the experience a lot. Also eliminating Foveated rendering would improve screen capture when in VR. Currently it is only in HD resolution with the periphery looks like something that was digitized from a 10 year old VHS tape..
Foveated rendering is too much of a performance gain to eliminate. Yes, you lose fidelity when recording, but imo there's kind of a cool element to knowing where the driver is looking. I can see how some wouldn't like it, though.

Perhaps a toggle for the user?

Last edited:
Personally I don't think I like these mid-generation upgrades. You spend £500 odd on a PS5 to futureproof as much as anything, then a couple of years later there's a better one. I suspect people with loads of disposable money don't mind, but those of us with two kids and a big mortgage to pay maybe less so. Because obviously, ideally I'd definitely get one.

How much do people pay for kidneys these days?

Recently moved my PS5 to my attic to be with my cockpit. I quite miss having a PS5 in my living room. This is a good excuse to get a second one 😅

Back