Poll : GTP Music Cool Wall - The BeatlesMusic 

Poll : GTP Music Cool Wall - The Beatles

• Please take up a new profession

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But you are disputing. A "billion" was the conservative number, considering they started out in very early 1960's. It is so, unless you are talking about the exact number of the current fan base.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I think I just discovered another hurdle, on top of the fact that you are not very well informed about the band. What is this "greatness" that you are referring to? I guess you can call it whatever you want in your own mind, but we are talking about the "Hall of Fame". On top of not being familiar with the band, if you are also not familiar with the HoF, that is a problem.

We are discussing Hall of Fame, which does not equal one of the best bands ever. Which is why I've suggested on couple of occasions that you seem to be missing the point. Chances are, if you leave big enough mark or two in the history of rock, you will at least be considered for the HoF. Again, this isn't "best ever" anything. And doesn't have to be the first ever, most respected, etc., although they'd help.

I have went out of my way to make it clear that I will not baited into this discussion, because this is going to be a huge waste of time for both of us. You will not agree with anything I say, but you want me to convince you? I wasn't born yesterday you know? :lol:

Again, I have presented more than enough explanation why the Beatles are automatic in. Like I said, I think you misunderstand what Hall of Fame is. Let's say that they were a boyband. They were the most successful, arguably the most influential band ever. The end.

That is a fair point, sometimes a valid one. Do you remember me telling you that you are missing the point? The Beatles being one of the most notable band of all-time is one of the most obvious facts in music, pop culture or history.

You may dislike their music. You may discount the largest ever record sales figure. You may disagree with those in the industry, from the artists, producers, critics, etc., who appreciated the works by the Beatles. Problem is, you are in the microscopic minority.

Once you understand what Hall of Fame stands for, everything should fall in place. Of all the people who voted for the Beatles, I'm sure there were plenty who didn't particularly care for them, but merely recognized them.

Okay, I've made no secret of the fact I don't much like the music, and I've openly admitted that I'm not aware of everything they've done. I did read the Bio from the link the TouringMars posted, and I did learn a few things I never knew about the Beatles, I honestly can't say it changed my viewpoint particularly.

I think we both realise that this conversation isn't really going to get resolved either way. But since this is the Cool Wall, with options that aren't mutually exclusive, and not the Hall of Fame thread with yes and no options, I voted for the one that most closely reflects my feelings. Hell, for the sake of peace, love and harmony... yes they deserve to be in the Hall of Fame... but I don't like them, so that's what I voted for.

I don't know about the Beatles/Heavy Metal thing, but off the top of my head, Helter Skelter is the song that comes to mind.
Okay, I've made no secret of the fact I don't much like the music, and I've openly admitted that I'm not aware of everything they've done. I did read the Bio from the link the TouringMars posted, and I did learn a few things I never knew about the Beatles, I honestly can't say it changed my viewpoint particularly.

I think we both realise that this conversation isn't really going to get resolved either way. But since this is the Cool Wall, with options that aren't mutually exclusive, and not the Hall of Fame thread with yes and no options, I voted for the one that most closely reflects my feelings. Hell, for the sake of peace, love and harmony... yes they deserve to be in the Hall of Fame... but I don't like them, so that's what I voted for.
All I can tell you is what I've been telling you the entire time. Hall of Fame isn't about whether you like them or not, personally. I am not putting you or anybody down for not liking the Beatles, or things the band did, or didn't do. That is not the point.

Select few artists are allowed in the Hall of Fame in recognition of their accomplishments. Many in this thread has made a claim that this one is a no-brainer. You had problem with it, but at the same time, you admitted that you weren't familiar with the band. All I'm doing is defending the stance that Beatles entry into the Hall of Fame in an automatic. Nothing more, nothing less. ;)

I don't know about the Beatles/Heavy Metal thing, but off the top of my head, Helter Skelter is the song that comes to mind.

All I can tell you is what I've been telling you the entire time. Hall of Fame isn't about whether you like them or not, personally. I am not putting you or anybody down for not liking the Beatles, or things the band did, or didn't do. That is not the point.

Select few artists are allowed in the Hall of Fame in recognition of their accomplishments. Many in this thread has made a claim that this one is a no-brainer. You had problem with it, but at the same time, you admitted that you weren't familiar with the band. All I'm doing is defending the stance that Beatles entry into the Hall of Fame in an automatic. Nothing more, nothing less. ;)
Put it down to a difference in opinion on what the poll is about - I think you/we are right about the Beatles, but MM is right about the poll :lol:

I was out with some friends last night and I asked my Chinese friend how the Beatles were perceived in China... his answer said it all really... he said "The Beatles represent the 60's and Britain - we only know very few bands until recently but we've always known about the Beatles...".

Put it down to a difference in opinion on what the poll is about - I think you/we are right about the Beatles, but MM is right about the poll :lol:

I was out with some friends last night and I asked my Chinese friend how the Beatles were perceived in China... his answer said it all really... he said "The Beatles represent the 60's and Britain - we only know very few bands until recently but we've always known about the Beatles...".
Same with the Soviets, back when.

I do see the point about the poll, but to be honest, some of the choices doesn't really sound right to me anyway. Like I was telling MM, I was speaking for the people who thought the Beatles would be an automatic selection for Hall of Fame. This Cool Wall thing is kind of confusing. :crazy:

I'm sure everyone will be hugely surprised that I voted The Beatles into the Hall Of Fame :lol:

I went to the same primary school as John and George and the same secondary school as John so therefore I have the final word, The Beatles are Hall Of Famers :D

Back