U2

u2.jpg

http://www.u2.com

Nominated by astrosdude91​

Origins:Dublin, Ireland
Genre(s):Rock, Alternative Rock, Post-Punk
Years Active:1976-present
Label(s):Mercury, Interscope, Island

I think they were better in their earlier years, Bono's voice has lost a step recently IMO, For example: "I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight" vs. "I still haven't found what I'm looking for" (probably my favourite U2 song). That being said, still HOF in my opinion.

Bono may be an arsehole, but U2 are a great band.

HOF by far.
I'm 14 and I'm in the US, that must mean something. :)

What? That you like U2?

Anyways, I voted Hall of Fame. Possibly one of the biggest and greatest bands on the planet! I'm more a fan of their early work. Stuff they put out before Joshua Tree. Stuff like this:

If you like U2's music, I would really suggest seeing Live at Red Rocks. It's a fantastic example of early U2.

astrosdude91
What? That you like U2?

Anyways, I voted Hall of Fame. Possibly one of the biggest and greatest bands on the planet! I'm more a fan of their early work. Stuff they put out before Joshua Tree. Stuff like this:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2BqLlVHlWA">YouTube Link</a><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIuAFBRyjj4">YouTube Link</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXcpFayuiQY">YouTube Link</a><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM4vblG6BVQ">YouTube Link</a>

If you like U2's music, I would really suggest seeing Live at Red Rocks. It's a fantastic example of early U2.

Well, most of the kids my as can't stand that kind of music and think its stupid/lame.
That's what makes it a feat.

Hall of Fame.
I'll explain later, because now I'm late for work.

Well, most of the kids my as can't stand that kind of music and think its stupid/lame.
That's what makes it a feat.

That's why I love U2's experimental work from the 90's. Far different from everything they've ever done before... and they really know how to put on a live show!

Engaging melodies, countless brilliant songs, instantly reckognizable guitar work, longevity and staying power. HoF no question.

The song that got me into U2. First time I heard it was a profound musical moment.

Maybe my song of choice from them. Very special and can have many meanings.

Hall of Fame. Totally.

Strange to see a fellow Judas Priest fan with this opinion...

My vote goes to "please take up a new profession"... I despise U2. Just like I despise any other band comprising effect laden drivel pretending to be a rock band. Give me a les paul straight into a marshall any day.

FYI, I'm 23, have liked rock and metal since I first saw AC/DC on tv when I was 5. I grew up in a family of 4. My dad listened to electronic music, my mum liked pop music and my sister was obsessed with boybands.

my choice was also "Please take up a new profession". these guys are tools with a capitol TOOL. ugh...**** this band...

Wow, I can't believe some of you, with your hatred of this band...

I voted HOF. One of the most influential bands of the 80's/90's.

;)

Wow, I can't believe some of you, with your hatred of this band...

I voted HOF. One of the most influential bands of the 80's/90's.

You can borrow my extra flameshield. I agree with you. I can see people having a problem with Bono and his politics, maybe that's why alot of people voted the way they did.

You can borrow my extra flameshield. I agree with you. I can see people having a problem with Bono and his politics, maybe that's why alot of people voted the way they did.

Well, as someone who agrees with most of his political/social views (we're both from a similar town in Ireland, to boot.) it's a hard pill to swallow. However, politics are generally polarizing. So, it is what it is.

On the musical side, it's hard to see what's not to like. Every member is talented with their instruments (stop snickering children...), and a lot of modern bands borrow liberally from their pioneering style of classic/contemporary rock.

;)

I was a huge fan of this group in their early years.Their more recent material has somewhat taken me away from them though.With that being said,I'll vote with a strong sided good.I think they need to pick it back up a notch or two to get back to the H O F level.

Nope, my hatred of U2 has absolutely nothing to do with Bono and his politics. I hate Bono individually for who he is. I also hate Axl Rose, but I love guns n roses.

Delphic Reason
Every member is talented with their instruments

Well this is just a matter of opinion, but they are a bunch of guys who can play to an average level. Absolutely nothing spectacular about them as musicians. They are mind numbingly average.

Bill Bailey(comedian) demonstrated what a technical failure at a u2 gig would look like.
I know music is about more than technical ability, but I thought I'd offer a musicians perspective. In terms of ability, I've seen better playing in pubs and clubs. I myself could blow edge away at guitar, and I know 30 or 40 odd people who could as well. I'm only 23, but the best guitarist I know (in real life) is an 18 year old who's started frequenting the pub I go to which is a bit of a musician hangout.

They're good, but I don't like U2 enough to vote HoF, I think. They're just not exactly my kind of band. And I hate Bono, which probably makes me biased against them a bit.

They made some outstanding songs and are incredibly well known. And they've been around for so long, that has to count for something as well...

F1 fan - What U2 albums/songs/concerts have you been listening to?

While I admit to not having heard their entire back catalogue, I have heard enough to know that I don't like them. I have been subjected to various albums over the years. My best friend in school was a U2 and Oasis fan... Given the fact that we've known each other for 20 years, I think it would be safe to say that I have heard most of their material. I did get my revenge by making him listen to Zeppelin, AC/DC etcetera. Point is, I've given the band a fair chance. I don't like them. Simple as.

Their musicianship is average at best. Songwriting is always subjective, so I'm not going to say there songs are ****. I just plain don't like their music.

I'm going to agree with F1 here. U2 is mind-numbing boring with repetitive basic lyrics. My dad loves them and I simply don't understand it.

Yup, I'm not really a fan, they have done a couple of good songs but overall I don't like their sound. They've been around for a while so they are obviously doing something right, I voted m'eh.

Well this is just a matter of opinion, but they are a bunch of guys who can play to an average level. Absolutely nothing spectacular about them as musicians. They are mind numbingly average.

They're not technical by no means but they play for the band as a whole. It's a case of the sum greater than its parts. I mean I would listen to a lot of their songs without the singing. Bono also is solid, and in some songs amazing like in Pride, Gloria, Angel of Harlem though in recent times he obviously hasn't been as good as when younger.

just cause he said they aren't good musicians doesn't mean "they aren't technical". jeeze, you guys who can't play instruments are so quick to point that out. the musicians in the band are indeed average. take away Edge's effect, and he would be useless.

good &#8800; popular

That's talent right there, he plays with the effects, they are an integral part of his playing. Even Bob Dylan said "Everybody will remember your melodies, but none will be able to play them".

I'm going to agree with F1 here. U2 is mind-numbing boring with repetitive basic lyrics. My dad loves them and I simply don't understand it.

My Dad likes Gary Numan and other bands along those lines...

AlexGTV
They're not technical by no means but they play for the band as a whole.

The "technicality" of their music is not why I hate the band. I was stating the basic musicianship in response to a member who called them "talented". I do like some easy listening stuff, and a lot of rock music is easy to play. I don't take technicality of playing into account for listening pleasure. As for "playing for the band as a whole", they work together as a unit to produce their music. Anyone who doesn't is not a productive member of a band. In order for a band to be good, no matter how simplistic or technical their music is, every member must know his or her place in the band. I'll admit to knowing a few people who think they are above their own band are trying to use the band to springboard themselves. But as for playing for the band as a whole, every band does this. It's not a thing that is unique to U2 and a few other bands.

Drift260Z
the musicians in the band are indeed average. take away Edge's effect, and he would be useless.
Indeed.

AlexGTV
That's talent right there, he plays with the effects, they are an integral part of his playing. Even Bob Dylan said "Everybody will remember your melodies, but none will be able to play them".

It's not talent. Take away the effects and you'll see that the edge is a very average guitar player. It doesn't take a genius to work an effects loop. I used to play with a lot of effects, but the music I was playing was very technical... After being in a band for a few years with a control freak who had me virtually tap dancing to change effects during gigs (I had 8 seperate effects pedals, a digital tuner and a 4 way channel footswitch), I decided to donate my pedals to charity. Now I just go straight into the amp. I think you're confusing composition with musical talent.

Again, composition comes down to song writing. With a worldwide following of millions, they are obviously good songwriters. Enough people like them to buy their music and go to their gigs, but that is not a sign of musicianship. I was arguing that their musicianship is mediocre. The actual songwriting in itself is a different matter entirely. I don't like their songs, and I definately do not rate them as musicians. That's why I voted as I did.

The most talented musician in the world does not have the right to call a band ****. Songwriting is a matter of individual opinion. If someone likes a band, then they must be doing something right. Songwriting and musicianship do not go hand in hand. Some people are very talented at their chosen instrument, but cannot write music. Some people aren't very talented but can write good music.

On the flip side of the coin, someone who can't play any instruments should not call someone talented, as for all they know, the music could be very simplistic.

Back