POLL: HANDEDNESS : LH, RH, or Ambidextrous.

Handedness - Left, Right or Both.

• Right

Votes: 219 68.4%
  • Both

Votes: 38 11.9%
  • Left

Votes: 63 19.7%

• Total voters
Villain - so, if Mendel was right - you are the fourth 'pattern', that your Mom and Dad genetically designed. It was a 'Left/Male' that was selected first, naturally.

Are you referencing that AA, Aa, aA, aa concept from high school bio? :odd:

Are you referencing that AA, Aa, aA, aa concept from high school bio? :odd:

I thought that using Punnet squares though is more complex than that even if just determining dominant hand.

The migration of a 'handedness' gene is not commonly accepted. In fact, most biologists might rebel at the idea (though again within the community, some will be prone to accept that. Applying Punnett to Villain and his siblings will only make sense if I look at the cross (a Dihybrid?) as a sphere. The 2 dimensional model doesn't make sense when applied to this case.
If you know more - please continue to contribute. Thanks.

Queen Victoria was purported to be born a lefty but eventually was fully ambidextrous. I'm not sure whether this made her more Victorian, but it does show that handedness can be learned.

OTOH - as pointed out, there seem to be a disportionate amount of 'certified' lefties in places (especially high places) that have used a 'right-brain' persona to supersede the way the world is built more for the convenience of 'left-brained' folk.

Biologically, or even more importantly socio-biologically, there may be evidence that a shift in left/right percentages - esp. a big one - like a 20% shift - usually heralds a drastic change in the society, even the quality of its survival.

Well. All I know is that I'm devilishly handsome while brother and father look like ogres. I also know that I'm right handed and they're wrong handed.

I'm also kidding, we look similar.

I voted for "right", although the my self-handedness depends on what I'm doing at the right moment, I do most of the chores with my right hand. When it comes to writing texts with a pen, holding chopsticks, a glass, playing outside etc, firstly my right hand stretches while my left hand is drawn back mostly when the chores can be done in a single hand(in no need to use both of my hands such as when carrying something big and heavy), one of the few usage of my left hand however is when I pretend to twirl a baton with my umbrella of something long instead. :lol:

Queen Victoria was purported to be born a lefty but eventually was fully ambidextrous. I'm not sure whether this made her more Victorian, but it does show that handedness can be learned.

Even as recently as the 1950s, children were beaten (usually a ruler across the hands) if they tried to pick up a writing implement in their left hand. Thus I'm the first full leftie in my family and my nephew is the second (his dad - my elder brother - is a righty) - however, my mother was a child of the 1940s and would say how her stepfather would smack her on the knuckles if she went with the left hand.

Handedness is mere predisposition - as is foot and eye dominance. You can train people out of it, with sufficient force. I'm left-handed for writing, right-handed for most sports (both for racquet sports), right-footed and left-eye dominant (thus left-handed for archery). Oddly, as the only known left-hander in the house, I'm also the only person who eats with their cutlery the right way round - both the known righties swap theirs over.

Oddly, as the only known left-hander in the house, I'm also the only person who eats with their cutlery the right way round - both the known righties swap theirs over.
Fork = left, knife = right.

Although if I'm only using a fork, it'll be in my right hand.

I'm predominently right handed, although I do certain things with my left hand. I recall when I was younger my mum telling me that I was "corrie fisted" on occasion.

The migration of a 'handedness' gene is not commonly accepted. In fact, most biologists might rebel at the idea (though again within the community, some will be prone to accept that. Applying Punnett to Villain and his siblings will only make sense if I look at the cross (a Dihybrid?) as a sphere. The 2 dimensional model doesn't make sense when applied to this case.
If you know more - please continue to contribute. Thanks.

OTOH - as pointed out, there seem to be a disportionate amount of 'certified' lefties in places (especially high places) that have used a 'right-brain' persona to supersede the way the world is built more for the convenience of 'left-brained' folk.

Biologically, or even more importantly socio-biologically, there may be evidence that a shift in left/right percentages - esp. a big one - like a 20% shift - usually heralds a drastic change in the society, even the quality of its survival.
I was told that lefties are typically more creative. Righties on the other hand are more reasoned and rational. I am typically rational but I have very little creativity so there is a chance that I am more left-brained than right. (Then again, I'm not sure if writing is a creative thing because I am typically not over-enthusiastic about my writing.)

If I'm using a knife, the fork has to be in my left hand. The right hand can't hold the fork still when I'm cutting.

I'm right handed, but I can do almost everything that I can do with my right hand with my left hand. Writing is the only thing that I can think of, that I can only do with my right hand

I'm a lefty! I used to play drums w/everything switched the opposite way 'round, but I play a right-handed guitar! lol I tried playing a lefty guitar but I couldn't play it; for whatever reason the right-handed guitar felt more natural? I guess I'm just a freak haha.

Hollow - many confirm that their left is stronger - while the right has more fine motor control. Practise fine-motor control with your left, and give your right strengthening exercises. This also, as you may research and find out, develops those areas of the brain connected with these activities.

If I'm using a knife, the fork has to be in my left hand. The right hand can't hold the fork still when I'm cutting.

The whole etiquette thing about forks, spoons, and knives (never mind chopsticks or fondue forks!) is always a matter of debate deprnding on the culture. Usually, when seated at a full course meal, one works from outside in, and the cultlery is placed with knives and spoons most usually to the right, while forks are placed on the left.
How one chooses to use them, I guess, depends on the company at table.
Right handed, but I'm left-footed.

Does this mean when you play 'footy' you're left-foot dominant, but you write with your right? That then is a mighty powerful kick you have. Accuracy may be another thing altogether. Developing the skills of both feet will make your plays unbeatable.

Eat - Fork Left , Knife Right

Kick ball with left foot (althought I had a weird expirience with my right foot and my 2 best players of my class)

The rest is right (write , punch ... :P)

The usual or 'normal' percentage recorded throughout history is somewhere between 10 - 15 percent. Fluctuations beyond those figures have been known to happen - usually with significant impact on such societies.

Closer to home - I can never make up my mind which side to place my G27's shifter pod.

About to open a can of corned beef using my left to turn the key - when I suddenly realised that I had shifted over to my right.

For no other reason than the manufacturers were grooming my 'handedness'; in fact limiting the evolutionary progress of an ambidextrous society - and there should be no doubt now that being ambidextrous to even a limited degree, improves one's efficiency at handling touch-technology', let alone tactile versatility.

000_1091.jpg

We should be winding from right to left - for 'true' lefties. Instead left-handed people must have quite fun opening a regular can of corned beef - doing it the 'right-handed' way.
Some manufacturers - no doubt through their forward-thinking designers - have locked on to this concept - smoothing iron makers, for instance, who now locate the electrical cord on their irons to benefit both left, right, and ambidextrous users. In the 'bad, old days,' the cord entered the iron on the right, and 'away' from right-handed users, thus not getting in the way of their right-handed motions.

My early children didn't benefit from me suspecting that handedness can be learned, but my latter children do. I encourage them constantly to attempt to use both hands as equally as possible. A simple exercise for instance is to make them peel potatoes left-handed. After the first few, it's amazing to see how fast and naturally they pick up the motions.

Axletramp's scenario seems to back this up. Imagine the first sibling, a boy, follwing his Dad more closely than his Mom, so therefore picking up his Dad's handedness, then along come the two girls, they probably spend more time with their Mom - and therefore become right-handed (since she is - and manufacturers program them, too! ;) The elder brother follows his Dad more closely than society.
Along comes Axletramp - and I guess he can explain, for sure, how come he was programmed to be a 'rightie' - but I would suspect he spent a lot more time in the company of his Mom and sisters.

So handedness can be learned - and we should be learning it at the earliest possible stage, and teaching our children such - from the moment they come into our lives to the moment they leave to become parents and good citizens themselves.

Handiness and handsomeness go hand in hand - after all, two hands are better than one, don't you think? :)

My solution is to not eat corned beef (well... what we Commonwealthers call corned beef), because it is foul.

Corned beef? Mhmmm... almost as good as Spam! :D

Now I want a Spam musubi.

-

I'm mostly right handed, but I can read upside down and mirrored, too. I can write (horribly) with my left, but slowly, because I don't practice. What I do practice with my left is chopsticks. I usually eat at Japanese and Chinese restaurants with two sets of chopsticks.

It's a great feeling dissecting a piece of Fried Chicken with two pairs of sticks. Makes you feel like a Neurosurgeon.

...or a crustacean. ;)

Corned beef has the texture and look of a week old turd and should be avoided at all costs. There is no need in the 21st century to eat gravelly meat... that and tripe.

I'm predominantly right-handed, though I play golf and street hockey with a left-handed club or stick.

So you could use a fork and eat spaghetti whilst browsing of course (!)

Actually it's because I have two laptops that I use at the same time, and I got too lazy to switch hands and just kept both my hands on the two mice I had.

...or a crustacean. ;)

Corned beef has the texture and look of a week old turd and should be avoided at all costs. There is no need in the 21st century to eat gravelly meat... that and tripe.

Must admit, shelling shrimp with chopsticks never gets old. It's a skill that's almost as impressive to onlookers as easing a snail out of its shell using a standard fork.

Always right handed, with minor exception when arm wrestling, or driving to the basket(basketball). I wish I was lefty, so I can get more easy baskets.

Back