POLL: HANDEDNESS : LH, RH, or Ambidextrous.

Handedness - Left, Right or Both.

• Right

Votes: 219 68.4%
  • Both

Votes: 38 11.9%
  • Left

Votes: 63 19.7%

• Total voters
First . . . read the Drawception very, very carefully. Note how the panels evolve.

Now . . . why is Coke always on the left and Pepsi always on the right? Is it that humans are so predictably programmed? Including me; I did the same. (Panel #10.)

Never mind the telekinesis between Panels #4 and #5.. . .

So I write and throw a ball with my right hand. Hockey, baseball, golf etc all lefty. I use my left eye to compose pictures as well.

Left-eye compositions are directed by the right brain, so they can be quite artistic and creative - in comparison to left-brained direction (right-eye) which tends to compose pictures in a more 'logical' manner.

Here's something else I noticed recently in this strange left/right world of ours:

Whenever I find Mens and Ladies washrooms (toilets) beside each other - the Ladies is usually on the left, and the Gents is on the right.

If I walk in and inspect the plumbing (and believe me, I have to visit Ladies' toilets this way - so I get to see what they see) the ladies have their plumbing on the right (the johns, that is) while the Gent's have it usually to the left.

To put it simply - the contractors have it so that the ladies turn left then go right, while the gents are programmed to go right then turn left towards the urinals.

I have found about one in ten configurations that break this rule.

The point though is that we're programmed to walk a certain way under stress, depending on our gender. Makes me wonder - if the Connecticut School shooter was a female, instead of male - would she have turned right . . . instead of left, like he did when he reached that fork in the hallway that took him to some people and not to the others?

^^^My local McDonalds brakes that rule :lol:

That is certainly intersting though. I never really notivced that until I read your post. Excellent observation. It really does make you wonder what could have happened...

Well, I'm right handed. I'm sure I use my left hand for something, but I've honestly forgotten what :lol:.

^^^My local McDonalds brakes that rule :lol:

That is certainly intersting though. I never really notivced that until I read your post. Excellent observation. It really does make you wonder what could have happened...

I have noticed that certain contractors do break that rule - it all depends on the layout of the establishment - most times when they break they rule it is because the traffic pattern will eventually make females approach it and turn left while males will head onwards (further away) and turn right.

I once noticed that at the shipping docks of a large distribution complex, the male washroom was more accessible as one entered - while the females was to the right and further down; needless to say most of the truckers were male. Yes, the rules get broken sometimes . . . it's nature calling.

Naturally, I'm a lefty but there are certain things in life that I do in a "right-handed" fashion. For instance, When I started drumming I naturally would play open-handed on right handed kits (left on hi-hats, right on snare) but as time passed I gradually made myself play cross-handed (right on hats, left on snare) and now it feels uncomfortable/awkward to play open-handed. Another example would be skateboarding; I use to push "mongo" with a reg. stance (left foot pushed as well as lead) now I won't cruise any other way than right foot pushing while remaining the rear foot. I feel confident in saying that you can transition your dominant features with a bit of practice/persistence. I should try writing right handed...

My right : write, draw/paint - I can draw with left but not too good, play sports - tennis/badminton.

Both : driving manual LHD/RHD car, martial arts/punching-grappling-throw ( also kick and my left jab is better than right :lol: ), holding firearm/shooting, basketball and volley ball, leg sports-soccer.

I got some mixed, some left, some right, depend on how much time spent really, with practice I think I can do both on anything :D

Maybe because they said Coke vs. Pepsi, and the word Coke came first? I'd totally draw it the same as everyone else. I know it!

I just realized, in most conversations when that debate occurs, its almost always "Coke vs Pepsi". To me, "Pepsi vs Coke" sounds weird.

I would believe a reason could be that C is prior, in the alphabet, than P is... It makes sense to me.

Neighbor's young daughter had a kid - a little boy.
Usual brouhaha and so on.. . .

Now I dropped in there and the conversation was: "He looks like his Dad!"
"Nah! Definitely looks like his Mom!" And so on.
Some guests, and family, said he looked more like his Mom, some said more like his Dad.
'What do you think?' the Mom's sister asked me.

"Let me show you something, " I say, and get a sheet of paper. I cover the right half of the baby's face. "Who does this look like?"
"OMG! That's C___!" says everyone. C___ is the mother.
I cover the left half of the baby's face. "Now?"
"MG! That's T___!" says everyone. T___ is the father.
I hand someone the sheet of paper, saying: "The left side of one's face usually looks like the mother's, the right - the father's. What you want to see is what you will see."
Bit of a 'wallahwallahwallah' moment then, as they all discussed this, and suddenly started covering sides of their faces and looking at each other.
The one with the paper rushed to a mirror and started papering one side then the other of her face.
"That won't work," I told her. "The mirror always lies."
"What?!"
"Always," I said, and quickly left.
I needed to get some other stuff right.

Walk into a music store as a left-hander and right away you're going to be left high and dry; left-handers are not really given the right treatment. Take yon regular guitar for instance. As a right-hander - you got plenty of choices. As a leftie? Hey - take the one without the pick-guard - that'll do.

Somewhere or other there must be a statistic showing that right-brained people are more musical . . . and that there is a greater percentage of lefties as musicians (out of the lefties bunch) than righties (out of the righties bunch.)

Those who are ambidextrous, of course, will be all hands, and well-strung either way. :)

I am right handed when it comes to writing but i have learnt to use my feet to open doors, set the temp on the oven, pick up things that fell on the floor.

I attempt to use my feet a lot, too. For me, it's all about how much consciousness I can send down to those toes to make them work. After awhile one does the foot pick-up unconsciously; I've found myself doing it to avoid bending, but quite probably the subconscious urge to be limber fits in somewhere.
When we learn to manipulate all four limbs with somewhat equal dexterity, the movement through life becomes almost a dance . . . an earthly manifestation of the whirling dervish.

As well, as discussed previously, we're also working on the neuroplasticity of the brain. Both sides of it.

I'm still right handed but when I have to carry something, e.g. a bag, I always carry it in my left hand.
Why?
Is this because subconsciously I want to keep my right hand free to do other more complicated stuff, like opening a door?

I'm right handed, it always felt awkward using my left hand in doing normal stuff such as to write or some other stuff.

Can I just leave this awesome thing here?

2011-cannondale-scalpel-mountain-bike-03.jpg

:lol:

Obviously a right-hand ride - and definitely another blow to lefties.

The ultimate insult, of course, is a piano.
Have you ever seen a left-handed piano?
Nope. Lefties have to make do.

Same with bikes - chain always on the right.

Same with bikes - chain always on the right.

I find it isn't an issue having the chain on the right on a bicycle. Really makes no difference.

Motorcycles tend to have a chain on either side depending on the brand and bike, unless it's a shaft drive, then no chain needed.

I find it isn't an issue having the chain on the right on a bicycle. Really makes no difference.

Have you ever had it on the left? Which foot do you usually start off with? Have you been conscious of that?:)

Who taught you to start off with that foot?

I'm mostly right-handed, but I can only twist lids off with my left. I can't do it with my right to save my life.
HOLY CRAP.

I never really thought about this so I had my buddy toss me his soda. I opened it with my left hand. Insane. But it makes sense because then the bottle is in my right hand so I can drink it. I couldn't mate a bottle to my mouth with my left hand if I had somebody else do it for me.

Usually the right foot, though it depends on where I stopped (the terrain) and which shoe clips in easier.

The point being that one is 'trained' to do this stuff (be right-handed or left-handed) from birth - the lollipop is shoved into your 'right' hand, not the 'other' hand - (depending on what your parents think the 'right' hand and/or the 'other' hand is) and from there every other invention you lay your hands (or in the case of the bike which you so intuitively rode in here, your feet) on, propel you towards developing your body, your posture, and your general gestural behavior in society.
Is there something one-sided to this?
Of course - it gives dominance to only one side of the brain, as well as handicaps us in many ways physically. Obviously, we can't help it - we've been conditioned by society, and its implements, to be the way we are - and not all the same either; because we're individual, our right- and left-handedness varies considerably from person to person.
But what of the coming generations?
If we look around, and as discussed previously, there are plenty of ambidextrous or non-handed products that are coming into the market daily, then we must take a hand in shaping the dexterity of future society.
Even car-makers are considering that the perfect driver position should be in the center - not the left, or right.

This gives new parents, and parents of very young children a chance to choose more carefully how to hand that lollipop over, or what hand the child should choose to swing at the ball.
Growing up ambidextrous makes one twice as handy when older.

Mmm...interesting.

My sister (now 4) showed natural adoption of left-handedness, such is way with all my siblings, but after her first few years went to school and was forced (Lefty in China is bad, Mmmkay) to use her right. These days she switches on a daily basis and I think she still isn't sure what hand to use for various tasks.

The cycling lead foot, I would imagine is probably related to the strongest foot. As a youth I played football (Soccer ball to you 'Mercans) and was right footed. I trained hard and became able to play equally well with both feet. Now when I ride a bike I think that instinctively I will use my right foot to power from a start but, again, have spent so long using both feet to do so that I now have no 'lead' foot and both are equally adequate and comfortable being the lead.

I'm right handed has much as a right handed should be.

Don't know why, I can play the guitar both ways (at home I have a right-handed, but I've played with my left) and I'm also ambidextrous with my feet (football/soccer people can understand)

Right Handed:
Writing/Drawing/Painting/Eating

Left Handed:
Snowboarding/cutting my fingernails

Both: Yo-yoing/ Lacrosse/Put Put Golf/Car Shifting

What the hell is wrong with me? :mad:

The cycling lead foot, I would imagine is probably related to the strongest foot.

I have an interesting case of foot positioning, when I get going from a standing start it's just about always the right foot that goes first but if I'm riding off the saddle and not pedalling I always have the left foot in the front, the right in the rear. No way I could do it the other way round, probably a good way to guarantee a crash on a technical section. Also if I have to ride with only one hand on the bar it absolutely has to be the left one, trying to manage with the right hand is likely to end up in a ditch even on a straight road. The same applies to driving a car.

When cleaning my apartment a while back I noticed that I had the vacuum cleaner on my left side for a vast majority of the time, it took me by surprise when I realized it. Then again I also play ice hockey "left handed" with the right hand being the lower one, always did the long jump leap with my left foot at school, and seeing me talking on the phone with my right ear is about as rare as hen's teeth.

Still most of the time I act like a reasonably ordinary right handed person but there are oddities such as those above and I definitely forgot a great deal of them.

Latest Posts

Back