Post pics of your PS3 setup!

• Thread starter DuckRacer
  • 351 comments
Pako.... that pic reminded me how much I miss having a basement!

I grew up in the North East (New Hampshire), and because of the frost line, everyone had basements... unfortunately in Texas this isn't something builders have much experience with, and in central Texas it is even worse due to the thick layer of limestone and below that the thick caliche soil that if not properly treated, like with a french drain system, can cause severe water damage.

My wife and I are in the midst of discussing building a new home, and many of the builders we have spoken with refuse or have no experience in building basements.... :ouch:

BTW: I sympathize with you on the room disorder... we have a couple of miniature room decorators ourselves. ;)

And as you know, their redecorating skills are not simply limited to their own game rooms....

Here they have discovered the joy of turning the music room into a train station: 💡

Very nice! The yard sale of various colored blocks and building supplies in common social areas are all to common place here as well.....and I wouldn't have it any other way! :D

I love basements as long as they're dry. It's cheap square footage for your house the way I figure.

Very nice! The yard sale of various colored blocks and building supplies in common social areas are all to common place here as well.....and I wouldn't have it any other way! :D
It is fun, but sometimes I think its all overkill. My sister and I had very few toys growing up and sometimes I think having too many toys can over stimulates kids.

One thing my wife and I decided to do is to cycle toys, so that any given time they only have access to some of their toys leaving the rest in the attic, and then each month we replace them with different ones from the attic. The kids seem to love it as its like they are getting new toys every month when most of the time they are just from the attic.

I love basements as long as they're dry. It's cheap square footage for your house the way I figure.
For me, I like basements for wine collection storage, dedicated home theater space, and when the kids get older... a place for them to play loud music. ;)

For me, I like basements for wine collection storage, dedicated home theater space, and when the kids get older... a place for them to play loud music. ;)
Ever seen this?

I know someone that has it and it helps him sort his 1,000+ bottles of wine.

:lol: That's a 3 million candle power flash light. Good for ceiling wars, night hunting, and waving in DC-10's. :)

Lesson Learned: Never buy a HDTV projector from a gas station. :P
:lol: That's a 3 million candle power flash light. Good for ceiling wars, night hunting, and waving in DC-10's. :)
Apparently every truck stop/gas station is the same across America. My brother has that exact same flashlight (guessing from appearance and specs) that he bought at a Pilot station.

Apparently every truck stop/gas station is the same across America. My brother has that exact same flashlight (guessing from appearance and specs) that he bought at a Pilot station.

Yeah, not sure..... Got for Christmas from my folks. I was actually hoping for socks this year. Oh well...it's fun seeing how long you can stare at it then run around the house at full speed knocking into things.

Yeah, not sure..... Got for Christmas from my folks. I was actually hoping for socks this year. Oh well...it's fun seeing how long you can stare at it then run around the house at full speed knocking into things.
That's actually you in the picture, isn't it?

These kids are getting computer literate at earlier and earlier ages.

Duċk;2537731
I wish I had a basement. :(

;)

:blind:

Uh, I thought we had more variety in our emoticons....

Anyway, you could also do something over the garage. It's usually isolated enough from the rest of the house, it's a large square-ish room with high-enough ceilings.... In any event, it pays to shop around with contractors & architects. It will pay off in the long run to go with someone who may cost more but pays much more attention to detail and how your family lives.

Ever seen this?

I know someone that has it and it helps him sort his 1,000+ bottles of wine.
:drool:

If I ever successfully become an Architect, I will build a wine storage section down in my basement. I'm a lover of wine by nature, but that vault is just some sick stuff right there, very convenient of course, but I wonder what the cost might be....

On topic: I will post my set-up as soon as I get my recently purchased PS3. :D

:drool:

If I ever successfully become an Architect, I will build a wine storage section down in my basement.
A noble profession. When I was in college I thought about getting a Masters in Architecture, but couldn't afford it, then I got sidetracked, and now the only way I could see myself becoming an architect is if I pulled a "Costanza". ;)

I'm a lover of wine by nature, but that vault is just some sick stuff right there, very convenient of course, but I wonder what the cost might be....
$30,000 - a little more if you opt for the tasting table, but the table eats up center floor space where cases are convenient to store. It's about the size of an average garden shed (8.5 x 7.8 x 7.7). It certainly is nice, and has a very well designed inventory software interface, but it only holds 1,030 750ml wine bottles, less if you have a lot of magnums, and there aren't a lot of customizing options to be had.

I used to be a much bigger cork dork than I am now, mostly because about ten years ago I started to have mild allergic reactions to sulfites. However, I still have a decent sized collection, including some very nice samples from that glorious epic year for California cabs, 1985. My prized possession though was a bottle of 1961 Chateau Petrus... was hands down, the best wine I have ever drank!

A noble profession. When I was in college I thought about getting a degree in Architecture, but I got sidetracked, and now the only way I could see myself becoming an architect is if I pulled a "Costanza". ;)
:lol:!

Are you short and bold? :P
D-N
I used to be a much bigger cork dork than I am now, mostly because about ten years ago I started to have mild allergic reactions to sulfites. However, I still have a decent sized collection, including some very nice samples from that glorious epic year for California cabs, 1985. My prized possession though was a bottle of 1961 Chateau Petrus... was hands down, the best wine I have ever drank!
My grandfather and my father had a big liquor/wine store in Italy, the only thing is, that they wouldn't sell the old wine though, only the newest one. The old one, they would keep it down in the basement where the main vault was.
Every 3 months, they would send me down there to rotate the bottles stored in the slots. Only about 180 degrees though, not too much.
They started to let me drinking wine when I was about 12 and though I wasn't too crazy about it at the beginning, my taste developed better throughout the years, and now, I much rather drink a glass of wine than any other drink except water.

The two best wines that I have ever tasted are:

- 1947 Chateau Cheval Blanc, my tongue still asks for more.

- Vega Silicia Unico 1981, I went to a tasting session here in NY, tasted it there, asked for the price of,.......my pocket didn't get along with $3,000 :(

:lol:!

Are you short and bold? :P
Not short, but I have been known to be "bold"...;)

Is your name Art Vandelay, and are you an importer/exporter? :P

My grandfather and my father had a big liquor/wine store in Italy, the only thing is, that they wouldn't sell the old wine though, only the newest one. The old one, they would keep it down in the basement where the main vault was.
Every 3 months, they would send me down there to rotate the bottles stored in the slots. Only about 180 degrees though, not too much.
They started to let me drinking wine when I was about 12 and though I wasn't too crazy about it at the beginning, my taste developed better throughout the years, and now, I much rather drink a glass of wine than any other drink except water.

The two best wines that I have ever tasted are:

- 1947 Chateau Cheval Blanc, my tongue still asks for more.

- Vega Silicia Unico 1981, I went to a tasting session here in NY, tasted it there, asked for the price of,.......my pocket didn't get along with $3,000 :(
What a marvelous enviroment to grow up around! I bet you have many wonderful memories of those times. Unfortunately, my folks were happy drinking wine out of a box when I was growing up. :)

PS: Maybe we should move the wine talk to another thread before Duck kicks us to the curb. :D

And I was just going to start talking about being an architect...

I'm definitely going to consult with you gentlemen in a few months when we start shopping PS3s, and as a later followup, HDTVs.

As a few of you may know (or any of you who looked above my avatar...), I've now went HD. Bought a 42" Sharp AQUOS 1080p LCD for about $1900. I'll have pictures of the whole setup once the stand comes in Tuesday (more likely pictures will be Wednesday). 1080p is great, and is awesome when hooked up to the PC. I've been playing CSS from about two feet away in 1080p and I just can't stop!

2 feet on a 42" :D i thought 2 feet on a 23" was bad. You must keep your head on a swivel. I do all my PC gaming on my 23" and it works fine for my small space setup. Too messy to take a pic.

Pictures as promised. Please excuse the slight mess of wires. It could have been a whole lot worse.

Specs:

TV: 42" Sharp AQUOS 1080p LCD
Stand: Bell'o
PS3: 60GB (HDMI and Component)
X360: Premium, waiting for Microsoft to begin repair/replacement process...(Component)
PS2: Large variety, blue case from www.clearps2.com (Composite)
PC (not pictured): Custom gaming rig (HDMI@1080p!)

This all totals over $5500 if you include the PC! :scared:

Edit: Wow, those turned out horrible...I need to buy my own camera. That would be the PS3 on the top shelf...that black blocky looking thing.

Duċk;2544339
Sorry to go off-topic, but you've been waiting for MS to replace component cables/X360 for 5 months? I don't necessarily buy that.

Thanks for posting pics BTW. :)

No, I called them a couple days ago. I wasn't in any big hurry to talk to their tech support. Now I'm waiting for them to ship a cardboard box with the appropriate UPS labels.

So, while we're on that topic...If anybody is still interested the TDU Club will be active again.

Very nice Ebiggs!!!

Thanks!

42" may not seem like much to some of you guys, but considering I have a 10x12 bedroom and I'm about 8ft away at the most, its pretty big. I'm also 17 with the biggest TV in the house (36" SD tube in the living room). :lol:

I've made a slight alteration to my setup. The TV grew four inches today. :P Best Buy could only get a replacement 42" if I brought mine in and dropped it off, and I didn't want to be without it. So I dropped $500 and traded it for a 46" AQUOS.

Back