Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,203 comments
That won't happen considering that Microsoft built T10 specifically as a competitor to Polyphony in every sense of the word. If it wasn't for MS's resources, they wouldn't be anywhere close to where they are today.

PG is another story, but at the end of the day, both of them stay under the umbrella of Microsoft as long as GT and Polyphony still exist.

Thing about T10 is that they've been making the same game for a while now. Another Bungie situation might happen.

Maybe, but given how much he has put into the company, and how much he has gone through with it, I don't think he will let it go cheap, and I do seriously doubt he would ever give up "ownership" of it.
JUst making sure you read it right, it says 200mill, not 200k. These offers don't come around every week, you really think Ian Bell is foolish enough to pass up on 200 mill for something that he started with crowdfunding?
They want too much control.
Lol.

JUst making sure you read it right, it says 200mill, not 200k. These offers don't come around every week, you really think Ian Bell is foolish enough to pass up on 200 mill for something that he started with crowdfunding?

Lol.

Yes, a 200m offer doesn't come around every week. However, when your company is worth $250m as valued externally, that's far more likely to happen than ever. There are many reasons why people reject these offers. Ian wants control over his company and currently owns 74%. Therefore, if the company wants more than 24%, there's a likelihood that he'll reject it because it's his company.

Even if they wanted 1%, there are reasons why he'd reject it. He might simply not trust them due to past dealings or not like the way they work. It's not all about current money. It's about future money and stability within the company.

This isn't really relevant to anything, but @IanBell I was in a GAME in Belfast today talking to one of the staff very briefly about PCARS2, and funny enough he mentioned that he knew you, through his dad I think it was. I wasn't able to talk more and I didn't get his name but I did get it on record that you are, apparently, a 'real nice guy'.

Just so you know there's still some love left for you back in NI. :P

This isn't really relevant to anything, but @IanBell I was in a GAME in Belfast today talking to one of the staff very briefly about PCARS2, and funny enough he mentioned that he knew you, through his dad I think it was. I wasn't able to talk more and I didn't get his name but I did get it on record that you are, apparently, a 'real nice guy'.

Just so you know there's still some love left for you back in NI. :P
You'd remove the apparently if you watched the stream from earlier. :lol:

Thing about T10 is that they've been making the same game for a while now. Another Bungie situation might happen.

It could. But the FPS genre adds a lot more variety then the sim racing, and even the racing space, has at the moment. There hasn't really been an earth shattering game in terms of scope for the entire racing space in a while....maybe Test Drive Unlimited? What has been done, has, and from my estimations, there isn't a lot in the sim racing space that could be game changers. Stuff that SMS is doing at the moment is revolutionary, but maybe to a general audience, it might not be something earth shattering to put on a box blurb.

When I mean earth shattering, I mean pushes the industry forward. Like what the original GT and GT3 did for the genre. So far, I think we've seen the most amount of innovation from the sim racing formula.

It could. But the FPS genre adds a lot more variety then the sim racing, and even the racing space, has at the moment. There hasn't really been an earth shattering game in terms of scope for the entire racing space in a while....maybe Test Drive Unlimited? What has been done, has, and from my estimations, there isn't a lot in the sim racing space that could be game changers. Stuff that SMS is doing at the moment is revolutionary, but maybe to a general audience, it might not be something earth shattering to put on a box blurb.

When I mean earth shattering, I mean pushes the industry forward. Like what the original GT and GT3 did for the genre. So far, I think we've seen the most amount of innovation from the sim racing formula.

Good point. The socially connected aspect of something like DC is I think an option worth exploring. I also think PD might be on to something if what they're promising works.

Doesn't selling your shop for 250 million buy you all the creative freedom you need? ;) Sell shop, start something new.
Exactly my point. With that kind of coin one could easily say that they have conquered the sim racing genre and it's time to move on to something else. The formula for success can be duplicated for other ventures. Once upon a time the Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport series were selling twice as many units as they have in their most recent game. That would mean roughly that their franchise is worth half of what it was just a few years ago. The business world can be finicky and one should strike while the iron is hot.

Exactly my point. With that kind of coin one could easily say that they have conquered the sim racing genre and it's time to move on to something else. The formula for success can be duplicated for other ventures.
Why would you do that when you can push it even further? You have the staff and technology. Why give that up?

Lol.

No, I read it right. What people forget is emotional attachment and sentimental value.

After decades of struggle and fighting for what he wanted to achieve, he might not want to sell at any price. It's not always just about money. Ian clearly showed his passion for his team and what they do, and also his determination to keep what is his. His forward thinking in regards to the EA situation is proof of that.

Doing something purely in order to earn a profit and doing that same thing because you are passionate about it are two very different things. Ian has shown again and again that he is very passionate about his studio and his team.

I am sure that at some level he looks at SMS and his team as family. Can you put a price tag on your family? On your wife? On your child?

There is a big difference between a hired on CEO and a founder of a company. Never forget that he has blood, sweat and tears invested into this.

EDIT: Maybe some day he will sell, I just don't see it happening anytime soon. I get the feeling he wants to stomp a few competitors first.

Last edited:
Sure. Those 250 million reasons are good. But he's in his late 40s, I doubt he wants to start another company and go through all the new company issues and would rather keep what he has now and improve that.

He could sell SMS for 250M with the agreement that he would still be in the lead of pC3, for example, and the creative director / project lead / whatever title you wanna give him. Wouldn't be the first.

He said an independent 3rd party company from the US put a value of around 268M on SMS (I can't confirm this obviously, I'm taking it as if it's true for the sake of argument). But I think he knows SMS has the potential to be worth a lot more in the near future if they do everything right.

No, I read it right. What people forget is emotional attachment and sentimental value.

After decades of struggle and fighting for what he wanted to achieve, he might not want to sell at any price. It's not always just about money. Ian clearly showed his passion for his team and what they do, and also his determination to keep what is his. His forward thinking in regards to the EA situation is proof of that.

Doing something purely in order to earn a profit and doing that same thing because you are passionate about it are two very different things. Ian has shown again and again that he is very passionate about his studio and his team.

I am sure that at some level he looks at SMS and his team as family. Can you put a.price tag on your family? On your wife? On your child?

There is a big difference between a hired on CEO and a founder of a company. Necer forget that he has blood, sweat and tears invested into this.

EDIT: Maybe some day he will sell, I just don't see it happening anytime soon. I get the feeling he wants to stomp a few competitors first.
Erm. Did you quote the wrong post there?

He could sell SMS for 250M with the agreement that he would still be in the lead of pC3, for example, and the creative director / project lead / whatever title you wanna give him. Wouldn't be the first.

Sure, that may be done before but he's in his late 40s and about 20 years before UK retirement age. He'll probably retire earlier due to his money but that's just a ballpark age. Why would he put a commitment forward that far when he might want to carry on and decide that he'll probably get bored not working on something he's passionate on?

Sure. Those 250 million reasons are good. But he's in his late 40s, I doubt he wants to start another company and go through all the new company issues and would rather keep what he has now and improve that.

Exactly. I know you like to take the glass half empty approach Penso (Though in Ian's case, $250 million certainly isn't glass empty, haha) but you have to realize that for some creative types, money isn't really the deciding factor like it would be in our cases. We aren't the ones sitting on a bespoke engine, that we created entirely from scratch.

Again, there is the possibility that SMS may have a deal struck with Bandai Namco considering they are positioning PCARS as their new premier racing franchise, considering that they have seemingly scuttled Ridge Racer. (And I don't blame Bamco, especially after the unmitigated disasters RR Vita and Unbounded were)

Has Ian talked about possibly licensing out the Madness engine like Unreal and Unity? That might be a consideration factor as well.

Another valid reason not to sell right now is the prospect of increasing the company value over the next few years. If the current and planned IPs from SMS take off as expected, they could be looking at 10 figures (>$1 Billion) a few years down the line. The offers right now are made in a ballpark where the buyers would pocket these gains down the line.

Another valid reason not to sell right now is the prospect of increasing the company value over the next few years. If the current and planned IPs from SMS take off as expected, they could be looking at 10 figures (>$1 Billion) a few years down the line. The offers right now are made in a ballpark where the buyers would pocket these gains down the line.

That's definitely another valid reason in not blowing your load right now and taking a deal. Though again, considering the fact that the racing genre, not just the sim genre, has pretty much contracted to a pitifully small size, I think a billion dollar estimation in deals from other companies is maybe selling it a bit too high.

Strangely enough, that's the exact amount of figures that Ian said his film franchise based game was involving.

Oh man portions that Ian Bell Q&A haha. Probably rubbed some fanboys the wrong way. Was a great listen with how frank he is regarding all of the questions.

Wait. They nearly licensed the whole VASC? What happened?
Untitled.png

Ok. So what happened was they wanted to make local tracks that cost too much to create. Maybe with the money from PC2 and these investors... ;)

And they pitched the F1 license to Liberty last week yet went to CM for 3 more years. Wow.

On budgets, he talks about £12-14m and has more circuits than both Forza and GT and more cars than GTS who are 10x the budget. That's incredible.

Last edited:
Damn damn damn! I feel the real culprit was Mark Skaife. He's had XBox sponsorship since his racing days. Also was responsible for XBOX sponsorship at Bathurst and with Matthias Ekstrom and Andy Priaulx getting wildcards at Triple 8.

This is what I was afraid of. T10 are doing the Bathurst Challenge on F7 during the Bathurst weekend. I guess that's why I didn't get an answer about SMS talking to VASC, to get the licence. Sucks big time.

Damn damn damn! I feel the real culprit was Mark Skaife. He's had XBox sponsorship since his racing days. Also was responsible for XBOX sponsorship at Bathurst and with Matthias Ekstrom and Andy Priaulx getting wildcards at Triple 8.

This is what I was afraid of. T10 are doing the Bathurst Challenge on F7 during the Bathurst weekend. I guess that's why I didn't get an answer about SMS talking to VASC, to get the licence. Sucks big time.
As an Aussie I kinda feel the sting too :(

Yeah. That could be an argument because Forza has the license and just Bathurst. Would have loved to see a licensed series in game but those 25 circuits would have cost at least $2.5m going by Ian's $100k minimum for a circuit. Excluding licensing fees, that leaves $9.5m.

Back