PS3 General Discussion

anyone else unable to get on the store?
I think it was down temporarily while they were updating it. Which is made doubly worse by the fact that this is one of the most worthless updates yet. The best thing they have up there is a game that's almost ten years old. Couple of trailers that no one cares about, and no demos at all. So we wait another week.

I think it was down temporarily while they were updating it. Which is made doubly worse by the fact that this is one of the most worthless updates yet. The best thing they have up there is a game that's almost ten years old. Couple of trailers that no one cares about, and no demos at all. So we wait another week.
This almost sounds like a post someone that used to post here alot would make. ;)

You may not care about the movies or the trailers, but I do... so please don't speak for all of us. :)

Also, there was just a tad more to the downloads than you suggest... but the lack of any new demos after we got a bunch of them over the summer is likely the reason for your lack of enthusiasm. :)

07/10/25 Japanese PS Store Update

• Game Demos
    • Gran Turismo 5: Prologue (07/10/20)

• GT-TV
    • GT-TV Special - Tokyo Motorshow 2007 (07/10/25)
    • GT-TV Special - Lancer Evolution X (07/10/24)
    • Super GT Climax Digest - Autobac (07/10/21)
    • D1 Grand Prix Series - Top of the Drifting World (07/10/21)
    • Trailer - Best Motoring (07/10/21)

07/10/25 Hong Kong PS Store Update
(other than pricing, applies to Taiwan and Southeast Asia regions)

• Game Add-ons
    • HK$24 Ninja Gaiden Sigma - Survival Mode: Rachel Master (NA Update 07/10/25)

• Game Trailers
    • World Soccer: Winning Eleven 2008 (All Pro Soccer) (JP Update 07/10/22)

07/10/25 UK PS Store Update
(other than pricing, applies to all European, Middle Eastern, Indian, South Pacific, and Australian regions)

• Games
    • £5.00 Pixel Junk Racers
    • £2.00 Aqua Vita
    • £3.50 Operation: Creature Feature
    • £3.50 Trials of Topoq

• Applications
    • £0.00 EyeCreate - (NA Update 07/10/23)

• Game Add-ons
    • £1.50 Folklore - "Kidnapped Folk"
    • £0.00 MotorStorm - Halloween Livery
    • £3.00 Ninja Gaiden Sigma - Survival Mode: Rachel Master (NA Update 07/10/25)

• Game Demos
    • Tony Hawk's Proving Grounds
    • Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

• Game Trailers
    • Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection Online
    • Toy Home
    • Metal Gear Online - TGS 2007
    • Eye of Judgment - Introduction

• Movie Trailers
    • Beowulf - Theatrical
    • Stardust - Theatrical
    • Courage Under Fire - Blu-ray

07/10/25 North American PS Store Update

• Games
    • $6.00 Spyro the Dragon

• Applications
    • $0.00 EyeCreate - (07/10/23)

• Game Add-ons
    • $3.00 Ninja Gaiden Sigma - Survival Mode: Rachel Master
    • $0.00 Piyotama - Halloween Skin

• Game Trailers
    • Bionic Commando
    • Time Crisis 4

• Movie Trailers
    • The Water Horse - Theatrical
    • P.S. I Love You - Theatrical
    • AC/DC Live at Donington - Blu-ray
    • Reign Over Me - Blu-ray

• Wallpaper
    • Eye of Judgment - 1
    • Eye of Judgment - 2
    • Eye of Judgment - 3
    • Eye of Judgment - 4
    • Eye of Judgment - 5

Goddammit, my PS3 keeps losing it's video-out through HDMI. I'll have it paused in a movie and turn the TV off and when I got to turn it back on, there's no picture. The sound still goes out through the optical connection. Really annoying, and it only seems to go out when I have friends over. Anybody have any ideas? I haven't ruled out it being the TV, but it never happened when the DVD player was hooked up through the HDMI.

I'd first try wiggling the HDMI cable near both connectors (PS3 & TV) and see if that makes the video cut in and out. If it does it sounds like you have a bad interconnect, most likely on the cable itself, but you'll have to test each one out.

If that isn't the problem, then I would connect the PS3 to your TV with the standard analog cables as well as the HDMI... and the moment you start to lose the signal from the HDMI, switch the video output to analog, and see if it is affecting that signal as well.

It could be the cable, but we used the same one for the DVD player. I tried using the A/V multi-out through composite cables, but that didn't work either. Oh well, thanks for your help.

hey everyone...just bought a ps3 today. My question is that do you need to have a router for the ps3 to go on the internet and the sony store?

hey everyone...just bought a ps3 today. My question is that do you need to have a router for the ps3 to go on the internet and the sony store?
If you want to avoid using an Ethernet cable then you will need a router with 802.11b or 802.11g Wi-Fi ... not all routers come with Wi-Fi. Otherwise you can just connect your PS3 directly to your modem using an Ethernet cable.

All but the original 20GB PS3 come with built-in Wi-Fi 802.11b/g adapters, but you still need an appropriate Wi-Fi router for it to get a connection.

Seeing as 802.11b wireless offers transfer rates above most people's actual connection speeds, there is no significant advantage to using the Ethernet connection... except if you plan on transferring huge files back and forth between your PS3 to your PC.... or if your PS3 is located in an area far enough away from the router that it has a poor signal strength.

thanks for the tip digital

EDIT: i brought my ps3 near my modem and connected the ps3 ethernet cable to the ps3 and the modem. I then tried to test the connection but when it's trying to find/get an ip address it says it has failed because it time out...Anyone know how to get a working ip address? Help would be greatly appreciated.

It gets complicated if you're connecting it directly to your modem, because that makes a direct link between the PS3 and your ISP. Most ISPs have measures in place to prevent multiple devices from connecting to a single internet connection. The most common of these is that it only recognizes one MAC address at a time (the physical ID of the network interface card in your computer/PS3/etc). If your ISP is still "locked" to the MAC address of your computer, then it won't allow the PS3 to connect. You'll either need to wait for it to time out (1-2 hours), or be sure to release the IP from your PC before you connect the cable to the PS3.

The easiest way around all of this is to just use a router. That way, the only MAC address that the ISP sees is the router.. the rest of the equipment in your house gets their IP settings from the router. That allows you to hot-swap devices all day long and your ISP is none the wiser. Wired routers can be had for as little as $30 or so. That's what I'm using, an old Linksys box. Got my computer, X360, and PS3 all connected to it via Cat5 cable.

Yes, it's technically true that a wireless connection is just as fast or faster than a wired one, the problem is that it's rarely steady at that rate. Up and down, now you have it now you don't. I see people all the time on the 'net that are under the impression that wireless MUST be used simply because they have the ability to do so. They'll put the PS3 two feet away from the router, and still use the wireless. If all your stuff is in one place, there's really no reason not to just plug the damn thing in. It's faster for internal transfers within the network, and it's a hell of a lot more stable.

So wait, after about 5 weeks of absolutely outstanding updated with TONS of content, you want to complain because ONE WEEK out of the potential 5 years you will be getting weekly updates isn't to your standard?

Give me a break.

Yes, it's technically true that a wireless connection is just as fast or faster than a wired one, the problem is that it's rarely steady at that rate. Up and down, now you have it now you don't.
If it's up and down, that would be a problem specifically with that person's set-up. I'm in Texas as well, and have been using a four year old crappy Dell TrueMobile 2400 802.11b/g router that when the PS3 is in the family room, where it usually resides, is one floor down from the router and about 50 feet from the router as the crow flies.

I've been using it for my laptops for the past four years and the last year with the PS3 with absolutely none of the "up and down, now you have it now you don't" issues you described, and I'm online with my laptops several hours a day, and the PS3 is also online quite regularly.

People with these kinds of issues very likely have either improperly placed routers, or must have some really bad routers, as my Dell certainly didn't win any awards for excellence and in fact requires a monthly reboot, and yet has never displayed any "up & down" connection problems.

For me, I couldn't imagine not using a wireless router, but then again, I don't like being tethered to a room that has an Ethernet cable in it.... or having Ethernet cables running everywhere.

This just in: Tools of Destruction is totally and 100% win. After the trash that was Deadlocked, they totally have returned it to the awesome that made the first 3 games so awesome. I wish it was more like the 2nd game than the 3rd, but it is still great enough that it doesn't matter.

If it's up and down, that would be a problem specifically with that person's set-up.
It likely is, but I find it much easier to simply not worry about any of it. In my situation, there's also nothing portable involved. The modem and router are downstairs near the entertainment center, where the PS3 and X360 are connected. A single cable runs along the floorboard, well out of the way, up to my computer, which is a desktop and never moves. The wired connection, even going upstairs, allows for full-speed streaming of anything I want to the game systems downstairs, up to and including full HD video.

Basically, I have no need to run anything wireless, so I'm not bothering with it.

Hey anybody know for sure if the 40gb PS3 coming out this weekend is any less powerful than the older models? I know it has no backwards compatibility, 2 USB ports instead of 4, and obviously a smaller harddrive...but all that doesn't seem to add up to $100 to me.

The backwards compatibility makes more of the difference, because they removed hardware from the design, which makes it cheaper to make. As far as "power" goes, it's identical to every other PS3 out there. Same processor, RAM, etc.. all the hardware that makes the PS3 a PS3 is identical between every version of the console.

Well alright, i'm sold on that model then. I already have a fairly new Slimline PS2 anyway. Looks like i'll probably be joining the discussion on here soon.

Oh, congratulations on your PS3 as well. I think everyone was surprised on how heavy the PS3 actually is.

Congrats, Appie. I bought Ratchet and Clank Future, and i have to agree with everyone else. Its an awesome game. Many of the reviews said it was too easy, but i think that its fairly challenging at times. But I havent played it much yet, and it might get easier once I get more used to the controls and all that. But still, its an awesome game! It will definitely tide me over until Nov. 6th, when Call of Duty 4 comes out.

Yeah .. I'm waiting for CoD4 too. MotorStorm is already getting a little old so I've been playing the GT5 demo a fair amount lately :).

Congrats, Appie. I bought Ratchet and Clank Future, and i have to agree with everyone else. Its an awesome game. Many of the reviews said it was too easy, but i think that its fairly challenging at times. But I havent played it much yet, and it might get easier once I get more used to the controls and all that. But still, its an awesome game! It will definitely tide me over until Nov. 6th, when Call of Duty 4 comes out.

If it's too easy, they keep using too powerful weapons. Trust me, half way through it gets a lot more challenging. The space battles are a pain, for me at least, but the boys are having fun with them.

I like the game, but I don't give it a 10. It has too many glitches and flaws for a perfect score. The story isn't great either, but it's OK. The ending blows, I think, but I wont spoil the "surprise."

One huge flaw that's really pissing me off is some planets cannot be revisited completely. Some parts of the planet are not accessible after the first run-through. I'm missing one HALO-PLAN puzzle piece, and it's in a planet I cannot revisit completely to retrieve it. Sucks big time 'cause I wanted that last weapon it gives you.

I'm about to run through the game in I believe they called it "challenge mode" or something. You select that mode after you finish the game. That should make the game more difficult for those who want a more challenging game.

Oh, just to ask, for those that have the treasure map, can you please check to see if the HALO-PLAN pieces show up on the map. I never used it until the end, and by then I had all but three Gold Bolts, three Leviathan Souls and one HALO-PLAN piece. So, I didn't really need to use it. If the HALO-PLAN piece does show up on the map, what does it look like?

Can you have more than one PSN account logged in at once? Or is there anyway to have more than one person use the same one on one PS3, with the extra people as guests? I know that XBox Live lets you do that but does the PSN?

There are sub accounts for the PSN that can be created, but I don't know for sure how they work exactly.

You can also create multiple accounts, each with their own PSN account, on your PS3.

EDIT: I don't think you can have multiple accounts logged in at once.

Latest Posts

Back