PS3 General Discussion

Can't the PS3 output two video signals?
Unfortunately no.

Or was that something that was dropped before production.
Unfortunately yes. The dual video output feature was dropped prior to production.

I remember them talking about playing online while video chatting, using the eye camera
As long as a game supports it, you can still do this using split screen or even PIP, just not on a seperate screen... although I wonder if it is possible to add that feature using a PSP? Hmmm.

The only use for that many controllers that I can see is a large family where they have to set a rule that each kid is responsible for their own controller. Since this isn't the Wii and I haven't seen any reports of Sixaxis injuries/damage I highly doubt even this scenario is often needed.
Not only that, but it still only comes down to how many have to be used at one time. So while you can certainly own a dozen or more controllers, it is unlikely any game will require more than 4 controllers to be used at any one time.

Yeah I was a little upset at myself for downloading that demo. Needless to say I had not planned on getting it and I know I will not be getting it now. The cars drive like **** on a stick.

I never quit a game through anything other than the PS button. So I never had that problem.

You know I thought the same thing the first time I played it. But I played it some more and its growing on me. I'm going to buy it when the price goes down. And doesn't look close to NFSU. DFP does not work with it.

I gotta question: is it a good idea (or even possible) to install another web browser on my ps3 (such as Firefox)? Would it be possible without installing another OS?

I am to recieve a PS3 in late March. However, upon the arrival of the cheap, non-backward-compatible 40gb unit that has replaced the 60gb on PAL shores, I am unsure when a backward-compatible friendly, higher gb system, is to arrive. An 80gb model is expected soon is it not?

You didn't hear it from me, but my personal sources are that many of the retail stores have already possibly ordered the 80gb PS3 for a Pre-Christmas Australian release.

(Although further research I've just did makes this seem unlikely, but I'd think it'd be here before March in any case...)

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/27328.html

Total awesomeness. It makes that 360 commecial kinda... soft.
I saw that on Joystiq earlier today. I definitely like that ad.

Is it bad if of the five games shown I own or intend to get four of them?

GT5: Prologue - got the demo-getting the game
Ratchet & Clank - Most likely getting it
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - Most likely getting it
Warhawk - Own (and pwnd by SolidFro)
Heavenly Sword - Most likely renting, but only due to length.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/27328.html

Total awesomeness. It makes that 360 commecial kinda... soft.
The detail in the CGI transitions is amazing. I tried spotting all the different games that are referenced in the images by pausing some of the frames, but there were too many, some of which I didn't recognize which game it was representing.

Very well done ad and infinitely better than those odd short film euro spots for "This is Living". :odd:

I saw that on Joystiq earlier today. I definitely like that ad.

Is it bad if of the five games shown I own or intend to get four of them?

GT5: Prologue - got the demo-getting the game
Ratchet & Clank - Most likely getting it
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - Most likely getting it
Warhawk - Own (and pwnd by SolidFro)
Heavenly Sword - Most likely renting, but only due to length.

No COD4?

I've been playing R&C and it's great, but not perfect. Lots of bugs. I've had to shut down the PS3 at least five times, and it usually happens toward the end of a stage, which makes it very frustrating.

Right now, I'm about half way finished with "Challenge Mode" where you gain a lot more bolts, and can upgrade weapons to VX (level 10, unlike level 5 in normal play mode) buy purchasing "Omega" versions of your weapons. Problem is, they cost A LOT more. 9,500,000 for the 5 shot Alpha Disruptor which becomes the Alpha Cannon on VS 5, and the OMEGA version is a one shot kill device. Too bad five shots is all you get. For 50,000,000 bolts, you can get the OMEGA RYNO 4-Ever. It kicks ass and is worth every bolt.

Ahh, i'm so happy the PS3 price is finally dropping... That means that by the time GT5 comes out, it'll be affordable for me. :)

Just asked this question on another thread, but it's probably more appropriate here: just bought the new 80gb PS3. I was under the impression it was backwards compatible. What are the pros & cons of the 80gb model vs the older 60gb model & the new 40gb model?

Other technical issue: is there any way of running the PS3 thru my Panasonic PT950 HTIB (it has an HDMI out connection, 2 audio inputs, but no optical audio)?

Finally: the 80gb model came with Motorstorm, which I'm not too interested in. Do EB, Blockbuster or anyone else take (unopened) games ("Not For Resale") in trade?

Thanks for any info! :)

Just asked this question on another thread, but it's probably more appropriate here: just bought the new 80gb PS3. I was under the impression it was backwards compatible. What are the pros & cons of the 80gb model vs the older 60gb model & the new 40gb model?
The 80gb model will have software emulation for backwards compatibility, which means that not as many games will work on it as do the 60gb. Aside form that all features are the same (well, bigger hard drive of course). The 40gb has no backwards compatibility, smaller hard drive, no memeory card reader, and only two USB ports.

The other questions will need to be answered by someone else.

What are the pros & cons of the 80gb model vs the older 60gb model & the new 40gb model?

Other technical issue: is there any way of running the PS3 thru my Panasonic PT950 HTIB (it has an HDMI out connection, 2 audio inputs, but no optical audio)?

Finally: the 80gb model came with Motorstorm, which I'm not too interested in. Do EB, Blockbuster or anyone else take (unopened) games ("Not For Resale") in trade?

Thanks for any info! :)

For the most part the only con of the 40 vs the 80 is just as FK noted, the 40 has zero PS2 backwards compatibility. However it does have PS1 backwards compatibility (although you may not care too much about that). Somewhat of lesser note the 40 has 2 less USB ports (the 80 has 4) and does not have any flash memory card slots (the 80 has CF, SD & Magic Gate slots).

Your PT950 has a HDMI out but not an HDMI in? If true then yes you can still run the PS3 through your system but you will be limited to either the component or composite video connection. Also w/o HDMI, optical or coaxial audio input you will miss out on true digital surround from games and movies. However I'm guessing it is still compatible with Dolby Pro Logic, and possible Dolby Pro Logic II, surround sound. At this point it is probably worth consulting your HTiaB owners manual just to make sure what options you have.

EB and Gamestop will definitely give you in store credit for your games, but as you might guess MotorStorm's value right now is likely not all that great.

EDIT: icelt pretty much stated the same info while I was responding... that'll teach me to pause during a response to answer a call. :D

I'm not familiar with that model, or even most HTIB models, but I am surprised there is no optical audio input.

I guess that's one of the downsides of HTIB systems as they are designed to be an economical all-in-one solution for those that aren't planning on adding any additional equipment and thus using only the HTIB for everything except the display.

Without an HDMI input or digital audio input, your only choice is to use the analog stereo output from the PS3's AV cable, which unfortunately means you not only won't get multi-channel uncompressed lossless HD audio, nor will you even get 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS. You'll only be able to get standard stereo analog audio.

If that is the case, and your HTIB has Dolby ProLogic II, then I would be sure to assign that to the audio input from the PS3. This will at least be able to create a form of "surround sound" using the stereo signal to create a surround matrix. It'll be a far cry from multi-channel discrete HD audio, but it will at least give you the feeling of having actual surround sounds.

I have no idea, and trade-in policies may also vary from one store to another. At the very least I'm sure they will buy it off you fro cash or store credit, as they sell used games, but I wouldn't expect much in return. You'll probably get the most value by selling it on eBay or Craig's List, or similar online classifieds... especially if it's brand new and still sealed.

Thanks for your input DN & iceit - I appreciate it! I bought the Panasonic PT950 recently assuming that it woul have all the features required & only realised after getting the PS3 that there was no way to connect the PS3 to the PT950. For some reason I cannot even get the audio to work via the AV cable either. I'm not even sure that adding a receiver would fix the problem.

One other question: I was wondering what the consensus was with regard to the difference in quality (if any) between the upconverting capabilities of the PS3 vs a regular upconverting DVD player?

I'm not even sure that adding a receiver would fix the problem.
Actually adding a new receiver would fix the problem. All you do is connect the speakers and subwoofer that came with the HTIB to the new receiver. There are exceptions of course, having to do with the power rating of the receiver/amp and the efficiency of the speakers being used, but in the relative price point you are likely looking at this should not be an issue.

One other question: I was wondering what the consensus was with regard to the difference in quality (if any) between the upconverting capabilities of the PS3 vs a regular upconverting DVD player?
It seems the general consensus is that the PS3 does a very good job of upscaling DVD video, although much louder than standalone upscalling DVD players... but for those with displays that already have excellent built-in video processors, you wouldn't necessarily want to use a player or the PS3 to upscale your video.

As far as what you might expect out of an upscaling DVD player built into a typical HTIB system... I'd say likely a very poor one.

Just consider for a moment the Panasonic P950 which you can get for about US $400.

It has all of the following components included and or built-in:
  • Tuner
  • 472 watt Amplifier (104x2/101/34x2/91)
  • Audio Processor w/Universal Dock for iPod Playback & Recharging
  • Video Processor w/1080p Up-Conversion & HDMI output
  • 5-DVD Player/Changer
  • 2 Tower Speakers
  • 1 Center Speaker
  • 2 Surround Speakers
  • 1 Wireless Rear Speaker
That's eleven key components, thus the average retail value of each of those as part of the whole package is less than $40. That means it's likely the average wholesale cost of each of those components is less than $20 each.

So any hope of having a decent quality video processor in a HTIB system like this is likely unrealistic. This would also explain why the subwoofer is passive (has no built-in amp, and also is getting less than 100 watts from the receiver) and is only rated at 45Hz and greater... so if it were me, I'd also be replacing the sub ASAP. The speakers are also very limited in their range, cutting out at 120Hz, and the surrounds are limited to just 34watts each, and all of them have a significantly higher than acceptable total harmonic distortion level.

But then again, you are also only paying an average of less than $40 for each component in this HTIB system, so you have to understand there are going to be significant compromises.

If it were me though, and I was able to return the HTIB or sell it to get my money back, and still wanted to keep my costs way down, I'd buy a decent entry level multi-channel AVR from someone like Onkyo for around $200, maybe less, and spend another $100 on a decent entry level 10" powered sub. Then I'd budget around $100 for each of the three front speakers (left, center, right) and $50 each for the two surrounds.

With some research, bargaining and compromises, you could put together a system for between $500-$700 that would be a big step up in quality over your typical HTIB.

No COD4?

I've been playing R&C and it's great, but not perfect. Lots of bugs. I've had to shut down the PS3 at least five times, and it usually happens toward the end of a stage, which makes it very frustrating.

Right now, I'm about half way finished with "Challenge Mode" where you gain a lot more bolts, and can upgrade weapons to VX (level 10, unlike level 5 in normal play mode) buy purchasing "Omega" versions of your weapons. Problem is, they cost A LOT more. 9,500,000 for the 5 shot Alpha Disruptor which becomes the Alpha Cannon on VS 5, and the OMEGA version is a one shot kill device. Too bad five shots is all you get. For 50,000,000 bolts, you can get the OMEGA RYNO 4-Ever. It kicks ass and is worth every bolt.

You've seriously got a problem with your PS3.

SERIOUSLY.

Ratchet and Clank? Bugs?

GTFO Plz :) The hundreds of people at NeoGaf who bought it (not to mention the countless hundreds at Insomniac Games.com) have not reported any such bogus and probably mythical bug like you describe.

So yea, it would be nice if you didn't spread FUD about **** that really isn't true, and pretend like it's widespread. Your PS3 obviously has some issues, and I'd look into using that Warranty in the next few days before it expires.

If I understand what you're saying DN, you're suggesting abandoning the dvd player completely & connecting the PS3 & the speakers directly to the receiver.

displays that already have excellent built-in video processors, you wouldn't necessarily want to use a player or the PS3 to upscale your video.

I'm not sure I understand this. Does this mean the HDTV already does the upscaling (I just purchased a Sony 50A2020 RPTV) & the dvd player is irrelevant?

With some research, bargaining and compromises, you could put together a system for between $500-$700 that would be a big step up in quality over your typical HTIB.

I guess, like the average consumer, I feel I don't have the time or inclination to do the many hours of research required to follow all the twists & turns of current audio/visual technology (even to get to the point I am at has taken many hours), & the basic HTIB does provide a vast improvement over TV speakers. However, now I am inclined to spend some time to improve my equipment.

The other thing is product availability & prices are much worse in Canada on the whole (the Panasonic PT950 lists at $719 CDN at Best Buy Canada (& thats with a CDN dollar currently worth about $1.07 US !) :irked:

If I understand what you're saying DN, you're suggesting abandoning the dvd player completely & connecting the PS3 & the speakers directly to the receiver.
check.gif
Correct. 👍

Or if you want a DVD changer in addition to the PS3, you can get basic standalone models for very little.

I'm not sure I understand this. Does this mean the HDTV already does the upscaling (I just purchased a Sony 50A2020 RPTV) & the dvd player is irrelevant?
check.gif
Correct... in terms of upscalling... especially with that model Sony, which has a very good video processor!

That TV is a fixed pixel display, and like almost all fixed pixel displays (Plasma, LCD, LCoS, DLP) it has a video processor with a deinterlacer that automatically converts interlaced signals to progressive, and a video scaler that will automatically upscale and downscale the resolution of any incoming signal to match the native resolution of the display.

In your TV's case, it has a native resolution of 1920x1080, so when ever you watch analog TV programming that is likely about 380i, or DVD which is 480p/i or 720p HD... and 1080i, all of those will get deinterlaced (when necessary) and then scaled to 1920x1080 (or depending on the user features for a TV, how you have it set to).

This is why it is often better to feed your TV an unaltered video signal, and let the TV do all the video processing, but of course YMMV, as many TV's do not have very good video processors. In the case of the Sony model you listed, it has a great processor. Of course, so does the PS3, so in that specific case, you might not see much of a difference between letting the PS3 do all the processing or letting the TV do it. Basically that's a good position to be in. 👍

I guess, like the average consumer, I feel I don't have the time or inclination to do the many hours of research required to follow all the twists & turns of current audio/visual technology (even to get to the point I am at has taken many hours), & the basic HTIB does provide a vast improvement over TV speakers. However, now I am inclined to spend some time to improve my equipment.
I completely understand your feelings. The more audio and video technology improves, the more complex it has become, and making all of this even more complicated is the fact that while one AV system would be perfect for one type of person, it could be the totally wrong system for someone else... this can be quite frustrating for those trying to configure a system that meets all their wants and needs.

The good news though is that compared to AV equipment from just ten years ago, it is not only much better, but also a good deal more affordable. 👍

Today, even $2,000 projectors completely outperform $100,000 projectors from less than ten years ago.

Latest Posts

Back