PS3 General Discussion

the more audio and video technology improves, the more complex it has become,

it's not just that it's complicated, it's that it's constantly evolving, so there's always new information to absorb. I just bought the new TV, the HTIB, the PS3 (& a new multifunction printer) - so there's a lot to take in!

Anyway, thanks for taking the time: you are the Dean of Digital on GTplanet! 👍

(Glad you approve of my TV purchase, at least... :))

Is anyone aware of a way to prevent the game/demo "theme music" from playing when highlighted in the "Games" section of the XMB? MotorStorm has startled me one too many times, and I can't find an option to control it anywhere. Hopefully I've just overlooked it...

There isn't an option for turning off the music. However, you can sort the game listing by pressing triangle and then sort by creation date. This will move Motorstorm to the bottom if it's the most recent game you have installed.

Is anyone aware of a way to prevent the game/demo "theme music" from playing when highlighted in the "Games" section of the XMB? MotorStorm has startled me one too many times, and I can't find an option to control it anywhere. Hopefully I've just overlooked it...

I noticed that some, especially the Motorstorm demo icon in the XMB is really loud! Even if the volume is down on your TV. Most demos that are third party don't bother with the music or even a full screen wallpaper.

Robin

MotorStorm has startled me one too many times, and I can't find an option to control it anywhere. Hopefully I've just overlooked it...

Glad I'm not the only one. It definitely gets quite annoying at times. I'll have to try sorting it I guess. I also have to take it off auto start game or whatever that was set to ...

Yeah, even R&C disc is really loud. You can compress the sound on audio tracks, but not games on the XMB. They need one.

So the Pro Street demo pretty much sucked. It just didn't feel good to play, the physics were annoying and the game play (in two races) was boring and pretty standard.

So the Pro Street demo pretty much sucked. It just didn't feel good to play, the physics were annoying and the game play (in two races) was boring and pretty standard.

Yeah no kidding. I wonder how some of these demo's make it past the developer's QC department (or whomever approves the release). Boring, uninspired and/or a waste of time are not gamer reactions that I would think the designer's are shooting for with these trials.

Folklore demo 👍 (even if you don't particularly like the gameplay).
NFS:PS demo 👎 (just about universally I'm guessing).

So i played that duck game super Rub dub and it was quite fun using the SIXAXIS but its kinda hard to learn. Nonetheless really great fun:tup:

If it was on an atari I would've agreed but uh... No. This is 2007 and we are using a PS3.

I'd rather cut my wrists than buy this game.

It's one thing to get it for the ladies... it's quite another to buy it for yourself and LIKE it. xD

No offense Apple17.

So i played that duck game super Rub dub and it was quite fun using the SIXAXIS but its kinda hard to learn. Nonetheless really great fun:tup:

Love super rub a dub..... class game, I could see how it could be a chic magnet! :lol:

Robin

Well I realize it is only 2 days into its life span and that I'm only using data from 1 source, but is anyone else kinda surprised that the 80GB model is still whipping the 40GB model's butt on Amazon?

From the video game Best Sellers list:
80GB PS3 - #21
40GB PS3 - #38
360 Elite - #37 (and it's actually $50 MORE expensive than the 40)

I've been checking in regularly on Amazon since its release and I don't think I've seen a time where it was ranked higher than #26. I guess I have a hard time believing that all the market research they did before releasing this configuration would be this way off base :confused:

I think the 40GB makes people realize how much of a deal the 80GB actually is. Two more USB ports (for the future Rock Band whores), 40GB more storage, and Motorstorm for $100 more? Sounds good to me, I bought at 60GB at $650!

To add more to the list:

20GB 360 with HDMI is #43
20GB 360 with HDMI plus Forza 2 and Ultimate Alliance is #50
360 Elite plus Forza 2 and Ultimate Alliance is #51
PS2 slim in silver is #62
PS2 slim in black is #73

It's one thing to get it for the ladies... it's quite another to buy it for yourself and LIKE it. xD

No offense Apple17.

no offense taken, but the idea is quite fun behind it and you should try it if you didn't:tup:

I think the 40GB makes people realize how much of a deal the 80GB actually is.

That was the reasoning behind the pricing, even Sony admitted it openly...

I would be tempted by the 40GB only because it uses the new more energy efficient cell chipset. I would seriously miss the card readers though which is not on the 40GB, I use them constantly!

Robin

Has anyone seen the Assassin's Creed commercial? It's the PS3 version with the PS3 logos at the end, just like The Simpson's Game. The NFS: Pro Street commercial is non-denominational.

Stop on Cash Guns Chaos icon by accident some time. That is the only game I can think of that rivals the Motorstorm music and it starts much more suddenly.

EA doesn't have such a department ;)

Robin
:lol:

If it was on an atari I would've agreed but uh... No. This is 2007 and we are using a PS3.

I'd rather cut my wrists than buy this game.
Casual gaming, it may not be your thing but it is big and Super Rub a Dub plays well into that. I wasn't big on the style myself but the demo was fun. Along the same lines I did buy flOw and Go! Sports Ski. The only true difference is lack of puzzles and no cuteness. Of course I bought Lemmings, which has plenty of puzzles and moderate cuteness. Oh, and Q-Bert.

On a side note: I bought and played the heck out of Twisted Metal 2 this weekend. I forgot what the graphics were like and even though it took me a while to get used to the controls and gameplay again I loved it. I just forgot how fast you had to be. It took me a couple of games just to get past LA in the tournament.

Next on my schedule of debatable games to get is Rampage and Crash Bandicoot 2. I am still weighing whether or not they are worth $6.

Casual gaming, it may not be your thing but it is big and Super Rub a Dub plays well into that. I wasn't big on the style myself but the demo was fun. Along the same lines I did buy flOw and Go! Sports Ski. The only true difference is lack of puzzles and no cuteness. Of course I bought Lemmings, which has plenty of puzzles and moderate cuteness. Oh, and Q-Bert.

I suppose but I say a game like super rub I'd expect to see on a DS or PSP not a console like the PS3.

Call of Duty four anyone?? Im soooo excited.

I'm gonna try and pick it up after I get off work at 11:30 tonight. Hopefully Wal-Mart will be cool and not make me wait the half hour or so for the clocks to tick over.

I suppose but I say a game like super rub I'd expect to see on a DS or PSP not a console like the PS3.
Except it would be awfully hard to see the screen when you are moving the console about, especially when you are making the tubs bounce.

I agree with the others as to the enjoyment of Super Rub-a-dub. I didn't think too much of it at first, but it certainly is a hug hit with our kids and their friends, and even our older early teen nephews. The more difficult the tubs get, the more challenging and interesting the game gets, which has allowed me to enjoy the game.

It's also really good practice for fine tuning your SIXAXIS motion control skills. 👍

Honestly, you could say that about almost any of the PSN exclusives. There are plenty of these $10 and less games that I think could easily be a cell phone game if they didn't have the nice graphics. But they make a great game to pick up and play while waiting for something like dinner to cook or someone to show up. I can't just quickly set down Warhawk or F1:CE mid-game (or good forbid something with actual checkpoints and save points), where if I do that on Super Stardust HD or flOw I don't feel like I am going to mess anything up.

For instance, last night my wife got home from a weekend trip while I was playing Warhawk and I felt odd quitting mid-match, wondering if my team would be fine and if I was going to lose my points. If it had been Super Rub a Dub I would have just hit the PS button and not had any concern. Then later after my wife was settled and on the phone I got back on and when she got off the phone she asked if she could play MySims on the Wii. I asked if she could wait until the match was over (17 minutes) and she sat there counting down the minutes and distracted me by asking me questions like, "Can't you capture the flag without killing each other?" :odd: or "Who are you talking to?" My stats would have been better if I had just quit. Again, a casual game would have meant I just exited out and been done with it. So, they do have a place on consoles.

Back