PS3 General Discussion

One of the people that works at my local game crazy is truly a xbot retard, he still believes that early PS3 games didn't even use bluray and that it's more of a gimmick than anything else... Then yesterday I went to get a replacement headphone remote for my slim PSP (one of the buttons had stopped working) and his comment was "figures that a Sony product would stop working 2 days after you bought it"..... upon returning to the car I realized that aside from the 2 transparent DS2s that stopped working from sheer wear and tear(even then I simply reverted back to the original black controllers I got with my PS2), I have never had to replace any playstation related platform or accessory. I should get back in touch with the friend that I gave my original playstation to use solely with DDR and see if it's still kicking...

One of the people that works at my local game crazy is truly a xbot retard, he still believes that early PS3 games didn't even use bluray and that it's more of a gimmick than anything else... Then yesterday I went to get a replacement headphone remote for my slim PSP (one of the buttons had stopped working) and his comment was "figures that a Sony product would stop working 2 days after you bought it"..... upon returning to the car I realized that aside from the 2 transparent DS2s that stopped working from sheer wear and tear(even then I simply reverted back to the original black controllers I got with my PS2), I have never had to replace any playstation related platform or accessory. I should get back in touch with the friend that I gave my original playstation to use solely with DDR and see if it's still kicking...
Yeah my local EB Games manager is determined that 360s are perfect and all Sony products are rubbish.

Did you know that if you dropped a PSP it can break? OH NOES!!!!

Heck, he even tried to make Nintendo products out to be poor quality.

Production of 65nm cell has been going on for awhile so it is that legendary "soon".

Well I thought the 65nm process CELL was confirmed in the 40GB models, but according to this post that is not the case. Don't know now :confused:

We'd been hearing that Sony's new 40GB PS3 featured a revised design with a 65nm Cell processor and improved cooling, but sadly it looks like those reports were in error -- a Sony spokesperson has told Heise Online that the 40GB model continues to use 90mn processors, but does feature an updated design with a lower power consumption of just 120 to 140 watts, compared to 180 to 200 watts for the older models. Sony says its still planning on moving to 65nm processors in the near future, but for now, it looks like the PS3 is 90nm across the board.

It could, underline could, be a SCEE vs SCEA difference. In that maybe NA models have the 65nm chip already but the SCEE versions still have the 90nm chip. That's all a bunch of pure speculation though, so only take it as such ;)

I dropped my first PSP and cracked the screen but it still worked fine, I ended up trading it in eventually because I accidentally shorted the plug for the headphone remote (very important to me) but it still worked fine otherwise.
Thankfully the other guy that is usually there has all 3 consoles and is as unbiased as can be.

some games also reqeure(lol sp) the use of a controller for loading games and the ps button(NFS carbon pops to mind...)

Some people are just delusional. It's our job to educate people and not let an idiot Gamestop Noob spread false information. I am routinely asked about the PS3 from potential buyers. There is a lot of misinformation out there.

Production of 65nm cell has been going on for awhile so it is that legendary "soon".

Might as well add to the confusion, but I stumbled across this on IGN:

New PS3 Uses 65nm Process
Sony's boss confirms it.
by Anoop Gantayat

November 8, 2007 - It seems that everywhere you go, someone has a different story about the technology that's inside the new 40 gigabyte PS3 model. There seems to be a bit of confusion over the current state of the Cell processor that powers the console. Is it the original chip that launched with the system, produced with a 90nm fabrication process, or is it a smaller, more efficient chip, produced using a 65nm process?

Today, Sony Computer Entertainment boss addressed the issue directly. In an interview posted at Japan's Impress Watch, Kaz Hirai confirmed that the new model uses a 65nm process for the Cell chip.

The system's RSX graphics chip, on the other hand, still uses a 90nm process. However, the shrinkage of the CPU alone was enough to cut the power usage of the system considerably.

Elsewhere in the interview, Hirai commented on the future of the backwards compatible 60 gigabyte and 20 gigabyte (still available in Japan) models. He confirmed that neither model is in production at the moment. However, he added that depending on how the market reacts, it's possible for Sony to produce them again.

So does that mean in EVERY region? Well there is no specific clarification is there.

I am having problems with my CoD4 online, when going into online an applet comes up saying "Downloading Game Settings.." and does not go away, i also noticed that while this applet is up it shows my PSN name and rank 1 with the lowest symbol but it should be level 18 with a 5 arrowed symbol. When I try to play splitscreen mode the console freezes while loading.

I was wondering if anyone has had the same sort of problem wiht their PS3/CoD4, I do not know whether it is my system or the disc. I took the disc out and it didnt look scratched or having any dust on it. What can I do.?

Well i;m also having a problem. My ps3 can't connect to my pc and i went trough all the steps of the guide. what bugs me though is that my pc has a different ip address of that i see at the PS3.

Its quite simple to tell if a PS3 uses the new 65nm chip........... its got less air vents (on the front in particular), thats it!

Nobody needs to look at my problem, it fixed itself after letting the PS3 sit for an hour and a bit.

What is the difference technically between the 65nm chip and what the other PS3's use?

Smaller is cheaper to make and uses a bit less power.
But it is not faster or anything that would make a difference.(i dont if they are even quieter but ps3 is not very loud with 90nm chips)
Note that money gain from 90nm ->65nm does not go to sony's pockets anymore :)

I ended up getting a 40GB PS3 as it came an HDMI cable, SM III & with R & C:TOD, which I thought my kids might enjoy playing, rather than Motorstorm which they would not.

I figured that it makes more sense to continue playing GT4 (& any other PS2 game) on my PS2 slim, given that it is so small & cute & portable.

BTW: AMG you're not the only old fart here - I was born exactly 5 days before you. :)

i went to BB the other day, there was this big guy looking at his friend playing NBA 08 on the PS3, then he turned to me:
Guy: yo, I just traded in the Elite for $270
Me: wise move man, Do you have a PS3?
guy: yeah, I have both PS3 and the Elite, do you have both?
Me: I only have the PS3
guy: you don't have the 360?
Me: Piece of junk, I mean I don't buy a console to ship back and forth for repair, you know.
Guy: Yeah man, they always have that RROD and other stupid ***. btw man, Do you know where can I find those bluray movies, I can't find them anywhere:sly:
I pointed him to the DVDs sections. I looked at him walking there to talk with a BB employee, and wth, she was showing him some kind of HDMI cable.:ouch:

I pointed him to the DVDs sections. I looked at him walking there to talk with a BB employee, and wth, she was showing him some kind of HDMI cable.:ouch:
Well, when he asked about Blu-Ray maybe she asked what kind of cables he had and he only has composite?

Of course, just showing a regular HDMI cable (I'm assuming it wasn't the one for the PS3) would be pointless. I typically do not pay attention to store employees unless they show competence immediately. Otherwise I let them know, in a not to subtle way, that I know more about their job than they do and then walk away.

I just picked up a PS3 yesterday, and am looking to find out a little more information about it's capabilities. This thread is too long for me to read every single page, plus most of the technical jargon and abbreviations are above my head. Can anyone give me a link to some simplistic info on it? I'm not looking for performance numbers and such. I'm looking more for what the PS3 can do, as well as what different additions will allow me to do. I'm accustomed to using my PS2 and XBOX, so all these other capabilities are new to me. I'm building up my entertainment room around this, so I've purchased nothing for the PS3 yet.

I just picked up a PS3 yesterday, and am looking to find out a little more information about it's capabilities. This thread is too long for me to read every single page, plus most of the technical jargon and abbreviations are above my head. Can anyone give me a link to some simplistic info on it? I'm not looking for performance numbers and such. I'm looking more for what the PS3 can do, as well as what different additions will allow me to do. I'm accustomed to using my PS2 and XBOX, so all these other capabilities are new to me. I'm building up my entertainment room around this, so I've purchased nothing for the PS3 yet.
Well, it sounds like you will do well with a purchase of the Blu-Ray remote for watching Blu-Ray movies.

Also, if you have a wireless network you can connect it to your PC by setting it up to share media through Media Player 11, although I suggest finding something better that fits your specific needs via a Google search. I even share stuff on my PC's external hard drive, so I have access to all my music, pictures, and videos. For the few video formats that will not work (most notably wmv files) I suggest teh free PS3 Video 9 software that will convert them to MP4. And this is where finding something other than Media Player to use to share media comes in as Media Player does not support mp4.

Another thing is that instead of trying to set up a network with your PC you can get an external drive in Fat32 format (can be done with Windows) and just plug it in via a USB port.

And of course, it plays games.

I think having an idea of what you are looking to do would make it easier for us to give you specifics on what to do to make it so.

Well, it sounds like you will do well with a purchase of the Blu-Ray remote for watching Blu-Ray movies.

Also, if you have a wireless network you can connect it to your PC by setting it up to share media through Media Player 11, although I suggest finding something better that fits your specific needs via a Google search. I even share stuff on my PC's external hard drive, so I have access to all my music, pictures, and videos. For the few video formats that will not work (most notably wmv files) I suggest teh free PS3 Video 9 software that will convert them to MP4. And this is where finding something other than Media Player to use to share media comes in as Media Player does not support mp4.

Another thing is that instead of trying to set up a network with your PC you can get an external drive in Fat32 format (can be done with Windows) and just plug it in via a USB port.

And of course, it plays games.

I think having an idea of what you are looking to do would make it easier for us to give you specifics on what to do to make it so.

Thanks for the helpful info. 👍

In response to your question, I don't really have any need for it to do anything other than play games and watch movies on. I don't have any need to share data between it and my computer (as far as I can tell). But like you said, it sounds like I'll need a remote, at the least.

However, after your comment about connecting it to a network, can I connect it directly to a service (without going through my computer) and then do simple things like email? I race cars as a hobby, so I like to watch car videos posted on message boards and such. Can I also view them with the PS3, or am I required to run all that through a computer?

I just picked up a PS3 yesterday, and am looking to find out a little more information about it's capabilities. This thread is too long for me to read every single page, plus most of the technical jargon and abbreviations are above my head. Can anyone give me a link to some simplistic info on it?
I agree, this thread is quite unwieldy, but that's also why there are several different threads in this PS3 forum on GTP that deal specifically with discussing many of the capabilities of the PS3. So I'd suggest you consider browsing through the list of thread titles in this forum for more info. It's certainly far easier than trying to browse through this massive thread. :)

Beyond GTP though here are some links you might find helpful:

I'm not looking for performance numbers and such. I'm looking more for what the PS3 can do, as well as what different additions will allow me to do. I'm accustomed to using my PS2 and XBOX, so all these other capabilities are new to me. I'm building up my entertainment room around this, so I've purchased nothing for the PS3 yet.
In very basic terms the PS3 is a:
  • Game Console Player
  • Blu-ray Player (High Definition 1080p movies & HD Lossless Audio)
  • DVD Player (w/1080p, 1080i or 720p Upscaling)
  • SACD Player
  • CD player
  • MP3 Player
  • Photo Viewer
  • Media Storage Server
    • Movies
    • Music
    • Photos
  • Media File Sharing Support
  • Built-in Wi-Fi
  • Personal Home Media Computer
    • Web Browser
    • Instant Messaging
    • eMail
    • Video & Voice Chat
    • Online Macromedia Flash Game Support
    • Folding@Home
  • Support for many 3rd Party Hardware & Software
    • LINUX Operating System
    • External & Internal Hard Drives
    • Wheels & Controllers
    • USB & Bluetooth Devices
    • Etc
  • World Wide Remote Access to your PS3 and it's content via PSP
  • Security Camera Functionality with PlayStation Eye
  • And more...

I agree, this thread is quite unwieldy, but that's also why there are several different threads in this PS3 forum on GTP that deal specifically with discussing many of the capabilities of the PS3. So I'd suggest you consider browsing through the list of thread titles in this forum for more info. It's certainly far easier than trying to browse through this massive thread. :)

Beyond GTP though here are some links you might find helpful:

In very basic terms the PS3 is a:
  • Game Console Player
  • Blu-ray Player (High Definition 1080p movies & HD Lossless Audio)
  • DVD Player (w/1080p, 1080i or 720p Upscaling)
  • SCAD Player
  • CD player
  • MP3 Player
  • Photo Viewer
  • Media Storage Server
    • Movies
    • Music
    • Photos
  • Media File Sharing Support
  • Personal Home Media Computer
    • Web Browser
    • Instant Messaging
    • eMail
    • Video & Voice Chat
    • Online Macromedia Flash Game Support
    • Folding@Home
  • Support for many 3rd Party Hardware & Software
    • LINUX Operating System
    • External & Internal Hard Drives
    • Wheels & Controllers
    • USB & Bluetooth Devices
    • Etc
  • World Wide Remote Access to your PS3 and it's content via PSP
  • Security Camera Functionality with PlayStation Eye
  • And more...

EXCELLENT!! Thank you guys once again for the help! Sounds like I could use this INSTEAD of a computer.

However, after your comment about connecting it to a network, can I connect it directly to a service (without going through my computer) and then do simple things like email? I race cars as a hobby, so I like to watch car videos posted on message boards and such. Can I also view them with the PS3, or am I required to run all that through a computer?
It can't directly connect to something like iTunes or Napster, unless maybe you ran Linux on it. I can't say though, because I don't have Linux.

However you can view videos on Websites using the Internet Browser, depending on formats and whatnot. It works very well with things like You Tube. It will download video files on to the hard drive, so if they are downloadable videos it can do that.

And Web-based email works fine. I check my Yahoo! mail on mine all the time.

Oh yeah, and it helps disease research with Folding@Home.

EXCELLENT!! Thank you guys once again for the help! Sounds like I could use this INSTEAD of a computer.
You can, but computers will always give you a lot more flexibility and customization, as you wouldn't want your console/blu-ray player/DVD player/etc to be vulnerable to internet virus attacks and such.

I find rather than a replacement for a PC, the PS3 is a fantastic addition and allows even your average consumer to create a very powerful and useful home network. 👍

Just to not cause confusion it's an SACD player.
Thanks! I'm king of the typos... also dyslexia doesn't help. :D

Just remember - Windows refuses to format anything above 32Gb with Fat32, so Fat32Format.exe is definitely a handy little tool if you want to use, say, a 2.5" external hardrive with your PS3...

Just remember - Windows refuses to format anything above 32Gb with Fat32, so Fat32Format.exe is definitely a handy little tool if you want to use, say, a 2.5" external hardrive with your PS3...
Why not just use the PS3's own Format Utility? That's what I used. Now if you want to partition a drive so it can be formatted for more than one file system, then that would be different of course.

Why not just use the PS3's own Format Utility? That's what I used. Now if you want to partition a drive so it can be formatted for more than one file system, then that would be different of course.
Wait, that will work on an external hard drive too? When I tried hooking up my 160gb external it wouldn't even recognize it because it was NTSC.

BTW: AMG you're not the only old fart here - I was born exactly 5 days before you. :)
OT
Yeah, I know of a few others too. Not too sure if I call 'fart' a compliment though ;)
Age really doesn't matter unless you show up at UKGTP LAN parties and your face (=mine) is by far the oldest in the room :scared:.

AMG.

Might be an obvious answer... but is there a reason why Sony doesn't tell us all the updates they are doing to the firmware? There have been fairly significant ones we have discovered over the past few days that really should have been mentioned.

Back