PS3 General Discussion

Wow, I always thought it was the same thing.
Oddly enough the name DivX started as a joke, specifically referencing the failed format, but as the popularity of DivX grew.. they got stuck with the name. :D

From a marketing standpoint it's terrible as there is so much negative reaction to the name DIVX, justifiably so, and is recognized even by those unfamiliar with it, as a failed format... so naming your product, especially one that's effectively in the same industry (video) after a failed format isn't a brilliant move. :odd:

This is one inside joke that certainly backfired on the creators. :D

Currently the system will not play (recognize yes but not play) any Divx video whether streaming it or not... It is only confirmed that the system will get support in the future.
Gotcha. The article was not very clear on that.

So it appears they have to update the video player software on the PS3.

On this same note I did some testing with some AVI files and one was recognized and played and the other was recognized but labeled as an unsupported format. I can only assume the one that worked used some form of mpg codec.

I also tried WMV and ASF. I have no DivX files, that I know of. WMV, of course, still isn't recognized and ASF is recognized, but it gets filed under music as an unsupported format :confused:.

I also took advantage of the grouping feature and put everything (including games) into albums. It also made deleting multiple files much easier as anything I wanted to delete I just left with an unnamed album and they were all put into an "unknown" folder, which I could then delete along with all the files inside it. So now when I download everything free offered on Thursdays I can just give the stuff I like an album name and leave it without one if I don't want them and then just delete the one folder. No more check boxes.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=23347

$319 for a PS3 at K-mart:

kmartaz9.jpg

Enjoy!

Just better hope the cashier can't read the fine print.

"VOID IF COPIED, TRANSFERRED, AND WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. ANY OTHER USE CONSTITUTES FRAUD."

and you can probably get arrested.

Just better hope the cashier can't read the fine print.

"VOID IF COPIED, TRANSFERRED, AND WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. ANY OTHER USE CONSTITUTES FRAUD."

and you can probably get arrested.
The flyers with this coupon are loacted either up front or in the pharmacy, although it seems like with this leaking out the flyers are now in scarce supply.

The flyers with this coupon are loacted either up front or in the pharmacy, although it seems like with this leaking out the flyers are now in scarce supply.
I was going to say, normally these coupons are readily available, and all you should have to do is ask at the service center for one.

Seeing as the holidays are soon approaching, and some of you may be hitting the road, I thought in the event anyone was thinking about taking their PS3 with them on holiday, you might be interested in suggestions/recommendations.

Here is how I transport my PS3:

It's just a standard 8 gallon container (16"x22"x8") which I bought at Costco as part of a set of 3 for $7. It is very sturdy, with a reinforced bottom and rigged top for added strength, and conveneient locking handles.

As you can see, the container has plenty of room for all but a wheel controller. In the example I gave I have:
  • 20 Movies & Games
  • 2 Controllers
  • Remote Control
  • External HD
  • Extra HDD
  • PS2 Memory Card Adapter
  • USB 1GB Flash Memory Stick
  • Bluetooth Headset
  • 1x25' HDMI cable
  • 1x10' HDMI cable
  • Fiber Optic Cable
  • Standard PS AV Cable
  • USB Cable
  • Ethernet Cable
  • Manuals
  • and still plenty of room for more stuff
In addition, the size of the container is slightly larger than the PS3 box, so as you can see in that first pic, the box sits nicely and safely on top, for easy transporting. 👍

Most of the stuff I keep in the box, so for the most part, all I have to do to take the PS3 to another room, or on the road is to turn it off and move it or put it in its box. 👍

This is a lot better than having to find and gather up everything each time I move it to another location.

for now I can transport just about everything (ps3, 2 controllers, 3 or 4 games, sharkboard, usb cables, power cable, 12ft composite/s-video and or 2 ft HDMI cable and other assorted odds and ends) I normally take with me in the PS3's original box, since I've carted the thing around a fair amount the box is understandably loosing its integrity and I will need to find something else to carry it around most likely after the holiday rush.

Wow, I always thought it was the same thing.

Same here. D-N is a great asset to this forum, I've learned so much from him and he rarely incorrect 👍

If you rename an .mpg file to .avi it will play i believe. But its still an mpg video.

Really? You've seen it? It looks to me like a KMart Rewards Card benefit or something.

see you have Planet Earth bluray discs. I ordered it from amazon a couple of days ago. From the revews, It's an amazing series. Can't wait.

It's absolutely brilliant: possibly the greatest nature documentary ever made. I wonder if it's possible to rent it on Blu-ray from Blockbuster, or elsewhere?

Really? You've seen it? It looks to me like a KMart Rewards Card benefit or something.
If you follow the link to the blu-ray forum thread that this came from you will see where people noted that some K-Marts refused to accept a print out and so they just got the original in the pharmacy.

I see you have Planet Earth bluray discs. I ordered it from amazon a couple of days ago. From the revews, It's an amazing series.👍 Can't wait.

David Attenborough = Best British thing

He's a genius, that series took 2 years to make iirc.

Everything I said about the PS3 being sort of "meh" has been trumped, the Close Encounters of the Third Kind 30th anniversary edition is being released on Blue Ray...it's probably my favourite movie of all time and I can't wait to get it.

David Attenborough = Best British thing

He's a genius, that series took 2 years to make iirc.
So true, on both counts! To be fair, Sigourney Weaver did a decent job with the narration for the Discovery Channel's broadcast, but I'm soooo glad the Blu-ray edition (and all other video editions) all come with te original narration by David Attenborough... although I think they missed a fun opportunity to offer both, as that would have been very easy to do!

Everything I said about the PS3 being sort of "meh" has been trumped, the Close Encounters of the Third Kind 30th anniversary edition is being released on Blue Ray...it's probably my favorite movie of all time and I can't wait to get it.
I'm really excited about this newly mastered edition... it's going to look better than it ever did in the theaters, with the possible exception of the original work print.

BTW: For those bargain shopping for Blu-ray or DVD titles, DeepDiscount is having their annual 20% of sale, which is a big deal as they already discount prices to the lowest I have ever found, so that extra 20% off all titles makes many of these titles at well below 50% off retail, even as much as 75% off. They are also doing a 2 for 1 sales on some of the Blu-ray titles. 👍

If you follow the link to the blu-ray forum thread that this came from you will see where people noted that some K-Marts refused to accept a print out and so they just got the original in the pharmacy.

Doesn't matter, i just tried it at the shadiest K-mart i could find down here, and it didn't work. Lady entered the barcode and everything. There were a couple sales booklets at the front, but no coupons at all, much less one for 20% off.

I'm pretty sure you need to buy something on a K-mart Rewards card, then maybe the coupon works.

Sure was fun sort of breaking the law, though.

I did find this though, not bad: http://www.bluraysavings.com/

Circuit City is also supposedly going to have a "Black Friday" deal where with a 40gb PS3 you get an extra free controller, and 5 free blu-ray movies (i'm assuming it's the same disappointing lineup as with that website's coupon, but hey it's free).

BTW: For those bargain shopping for Blu-ray or DVD titles, DeepDiscount is having their annual 20% of sale, which is a big deal as they already discount prices to the lowest I have ever found, so that extra 20% off all titles makes many of these titles at well below 50% off retail, even as much as 75% off. They are also doing a 2 for 1 sales on some of the Blu-ray titles. 👍

Amazon's prices are better, i'm afraid. And Amazon seems like a much more credible website.

I see you have Planet Earth bluray discs. I ordered it from amazon a couple of days ago. From the revews, It's an amazing series.👍 Can't wait.

I agree, some of the most amazing visuals ive ever seen and in the making of bits you can see the huge efforts they went to capture the images they wanted.

Amazon's prices are better, i'm afraid. And Amazon seems like a much more credible website.
Uh... no.
  • $99.95 = MSRP
  • $69.95 = Amazon
  • $53.47 = DeepDiscount
And DeepDiscount is one of, if not the most reputable DVD sellers on the net, and have been around for over seven years... at least that's how long I have been buying DVDs from them. Of which I've probably bought at least 1,500 DVDs from them, or about half of my collection.

If you don't believe me, I suggest you do a search on HTF and AVS, the two leading Home Theater forums with over a million subscribers, and you'll quickly find that DeepDiscount is the primary source where DVD collectors go, as they almost always have the lowest total price... like Planet Earth, and always have free shipping, but also have impeccable service.

BTW: As seen in the "No" link, a really great site for searching and comparing DVD, HD DVD, and Blu-ray prices is DVDPriceSearch.com. They also always list the "bargains an deals of the week" for both Internet and Bricks & Mortar retailers.

BTW (Part II): After a long search I finally found a store that still had the PlayStation Eye in stock:

CIMG1993.jpg

CIMG1996.jpg

I would have ordered it online, but I wanted to be sure I had it by this weekend so I can get a chance to play around with it before taking it on the road for the Family Thanksgiving gathering.

my store had a few EOJ packs in stock and a bunch of the standalone eye packs (one of which I will be picking up soon hopefully)

Check out Epileptic Gaming's EOJ video:

The menu music for EOJ rocks.

None too shabby little gaming show. Kinda funny to see how they begin the show intentionally watching their language, then after a few cards get played and a little smack talk occurs... 🤬 you, 🤬 gonna kick your arse, etc. Gotta love competition :lol:

BTW that music BITES :P

Looks like a great game but I don't know how much money will be made from it seeing as the cards can now easily be faked.. loads of people will download them off the net.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3164004
http://kotaku.com/gaming/oops/eye-of-judgment-cards-copyable-314899.php

You dont even have to do that, apparently you can draw the shapes roughly with a felt tip pen!

http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/eye-of-judgment-card-creating-easier-than-expected-315714.php

Gosh how could Sony have gone so wrong with the copy protection!

Lets hope they make more money on the hardware!

Oh and thanks for the box and eye shots digital!

Robin

I think EG pointed out that it doesn't matter if you fake cards or not. A user can defeat you even with the starter deck that comes with the game. Plus, the whole point of the game (and why it is fun) is to collect cards... real ones.

Kotaku, 1UP, and the rest fail at life.

Looks like a great game but I don't know how much money will be made from it seeing as the cards can now easily be faked.. loads of people will download them off the net.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3164004
http://kotaku.com/gaming/oops/eye-of-judgment-cards-copyable-314899.php

You dont even have to do that, apparently you can draw the shapes roughly with a felt tip pen!

http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/eye-of-judgment-card-creating-easier-than-expected-315714.php

Gosh how could Sony have gone so wrong with the copy protection!
That is bad... also sort of cool how you can do that. :)

That said, I'm not at all a "Fantasy Card" player. Pretty much the only card game I really enjoy is poker. :)

I got EoJ as it was only $30 over the cost of the camera, which is what I really wanted for all the extras and features, like the free interactive games that come with it, additional game support like SingStar and Warhawk, as a fun video chatting device with our families and friends that are spread around the country (I suspect this will work when chatting overseas as well?). The additional cool editing tools are nice bonus as is the ability to control it remotely. 👍

As for EoJ, for just the extra $30, it seemed worth while getting, as I'm sure our nephews will really get a kick out of playing it. Which is also why I wanted to get it before we see them over Thanksgiving.

May I ask what is Eye of Judgement? A card game you play against the PS3? The stuff I read on it makes it look rather bizzare.

Back