PS3 General Discussion

heres a question for the tech heads. When playing games on my PS3, going thru an HDMI cable to me 52" 1080i RPTV, the picture seems to be about 15% larger than my screen. It wasnt a problum with GT5, but with GTA alot of the information is cut off the edges of the screen. I went thru the TVs settings and thru the PS3s and cant figure out how to correct it. Blu rays and DVDs dont get cropped at all.

b

^In game settings need to be changed?

I finally got an HDMI cable and stuff like GT5p as well as Blu Rays are a little better, but not enough to make me go "wow" or "whOa". GT5p is still boring, but I have a feeling that's more because of a certain Youtube video featuring another certain car game. lol

NHL08 looks slightly better, but good ol EA did a port of the game so instead of Ps2 quality it's 720p quality with jaggies... :rolleyes: Gonna be trading it for the 360 version.

heres a question for the tech heads. When playing games on my PS3, going thru an HDMI cable to me 52" 1080i RPTV, the picture seems to be about 15% larger than my screen. It wasnt a problum with GT5, but with GTA alot of the information is cut off the edges of the screen. I went thru the TVs settings and thru the PS3s and cant figure out how to correct it. Blu rays and DVDs dont get cropped at all.

b

I have an older Panasonic 1080i TV, I also have the same issue with all PS3 games, I'll have to check the movies. I've been told this is called "overscan", and it can be corrected by digging into the service menus of your TV and making adjustments. Maybe this is common with 1080i sets, I don't know for sure. I bought the manual for mine, but I do not yet have the balls to try and fix it-I don't want to kill my TV.

Overscan can be an issue on Rear Projection CRT tv's and as mentioned going into the service menu can change that. Simplest way to do it is to make a note of EVERY number/value of everything in the menu(s) before changing anything. To get into the service menu you usually have to press mute and stand by together, or something similar. However it isn't for the faint hearted to be honest.

I have a rather specific question regarding the PS3's video playback abilities.
I recently acquired my brothers old camcorder (I say old it's a 2006 JVC). I can see the JPEG stills fine but when I try to watch the video I've recorded on it my PS3 always says data is corrupted (or something similar). The video is recorded in Motion JPEG which the PS3 seems to support (pressing information shows all the details), though looking at the manual it says AVI Motion JPEG (Linear PCM) etc. Do I need to convert my camcorder video into something my PS3 can read? Any suggestions?

Cheers.

Ok so I'm trying to watch a DVD (Raiders of the Lost Ark) and the picture shows up just fine but there is no sound. I'm running the PS3 over HDMI and I do not have a surround sound system hooked up. Any suggestions?

===

Ok I tried Linear PCM and it gives me half sound. Background noise but not when people are talking. Then sometimes people talk but it sound muffled.

===

DVD works fine on the 360, which I do not want to watch it on because it looks like crap compared to the PS3's upscaling.

I have a rather specific question regarding the PS3's video playback abilities.
I recently acquired my brothers old camcorder (I say old it's a 2006 JVC). I can see the JPEG stills fine but when I try to watch the video I've recorded on it my PS3 always says data is corrupted (or something similar). The video is recorded in Motion JPEG which the PS3 seems to support (pressing information shows all the details), though looking at the manual it says AVI Motion JPEG (Linear PCM) etc. Do I need to convert my camcorder video into something my PS3 can read? Any suggestions?

Cheers.
Yeah, my digital camera uses motion jpeg for movies and I have to use PS3 Video 9 to convert it to an mpg format. And sometimes even that screws it up. So, I have actually found that best results for me come from running it through Windows WMV editor (comes free in XP, don't know about Vista) and then converting it to mpg 1 or 2 on PS3 Video 9.

Motion jpegs are just weird with the PS3.

Ok so I'm trying to watch a DVD (Raiders of the Lost Ark) and the picture shows up just fine but there is no sound. I'm running the PS3 over HDMI and I do not have a surround sound system hooked up. Any suggestions?

===

Ok I tried Linear PCM and it gives me half sound. Background noise but not when people are talking. Then sometimes people talk but it sound muffled.

===

DVD works fine on the 360, which I do not want to watch it on because it looks like crap compared to the PS3's upscaling.
I guess checking the audio settings on the PS3, the TV, and the DVD (assuming it has audio options) all three would be required. It does seem quite odd though.

I can't offer any more advice as I am currently running an optical line myself.

===

===

Go to audio options and disable all your 5.1. It doesn't make sense to have it enabled if your PS3 is not hooked up to a surround sound system, since you're robbing yourself of a lot of audio that won't be heard. Use LPCM 2CH.

Boy does Gamespot piss me off sometimes, those 360 fanboys talk out of their ass! :grumpy:

They have just done the latest 360 vs PS3 graphics comparison and every single game they compare they say the 360 is better, as they have said with the last 2 comparisons earlier in the year, the PS3 has not won on a game EVER!

I swear they must be blind and are most of the time confusing blurryness with smoothing and crispness with jaggies!

Comparing anything EA is a lost cause because they dont know how to make PS3 games so half the review doesnt count but I have never seen a more biased site in all my life..

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6191251/index.html?tag=topslot;title;3&om_act=convert&om_clk=topslot

Yes there are games which look better on 360 but to say not one looks better on PS3 is talking rubbish!

Robin

Go to audio options and disable all your 5.1. It doesn't make sense to have it enabled if your PS3 is not hooked up to a surround sound system, since you're robbing yourself of a lot of audio that won't be heard. Use LPCM 2CH.

That should do the trick. Jeremy Ricci is 100% spot on.

5.1 PCM is decoding the audio and then sending it down the HDMI, if its not being picked up by a surround sound system then all the TV can do is play the two front channels. This will give you almost zero dialogue as the centre front channel handles most of this, so the 2.0 PCM should do the trick for you.

Regards

Scaff

Will the PS3 play a PAL DVD that is region free? Also will it play a ripped DVD?
A PS3 should play a ripped DVD as long as it has been finalised and ready to play in a DVD player. I've recorded TV onto DVD and played back via my PS3 fine.
As for region free PAL DVD on a NTSC PS3 (I assume that's what you mean) it should work simply because it is region free. However I can not try this myself so I am not certain.

Boy does Gamespot piss me off sometimes, those 360 fanboys talk out of their ass! :grumpy:

They have just done the latest 360 vs PS3 graphics comparison and every single game they compare they say the 360 is better, as they have said with the last 2 comparisons earlier in the year, the PS3 has not won on a game EVER!

I swear they must be blind and are most of the time confusing blurryness with smoothing and crispness with jaggies!

Comparing anything EA is a lost cause because they dont know how to make PS3 games so half the review doesnt count but I have never seen a more biased site in all my life..

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6191251/index.html?tag=topslot;title;3&om_act=convert&om_clk=topslot

Yes there are games which look better on 360 but to say not one looks better on PS3 is talking rubbish!

Robin

Absolutely. That "blurriness" is called better anti-aliasing. Gamespot also has their HDMI blackness level incorrectly set. A mistake that Gametrailers also uses to demonstrate that 360 ports on PS3 look worse.

It doesn't seem like Gamespot wants to salvage any sort of credibility...

Robin

I would say that from the screenshots they provided COD looks better on the PS3 and Burnout looks slightly better. Assassin's Creed seems too dark on the 360 on those first shots. I don't know what they did there with Half-Life 2, because it seems pretty terrible on PS3.

A mistake that Gametrailers also uses to demonstrate that 360 ports on PS3 look worse.

Oh no.... Gametrailers take it to a WHOLE NEW level of stupidity and use 360 videos for PS3 gameplay! :P

Solid Fro
Absolutely. That "blurriness" is called better anti-aliasing.

I know!.... madness!

ROAD_DOGG33J
I don't know what they did there with Half-Life 2, because it seems pretty terrible on PS3.

Its because EA messed with it! :scared:

Robin

Hmm. I guess you guys haven't played Hal Life 2 for PS3. I own it and it looks and plays fine. EA did an ok job with the port, I played the PC version.

Oh no.... Gametrailers take it to a WHOLE NEW level of stupidity and use 360 videos for PS3 gameplay! :P

Actually, they used PS3 Videos for 360 gameplay, guess that shows which looks better in their mind :lol:

From,
Chris.

Actually, they used PS3 Videos for 360 gameplay, guess that shows which looks better in their mind :lol:
I think GameTrailers lost their credibility as far as unbiased reviewing and promotions a long time ago. Heck, even their parent company, Viacom signed a marketing deal with Microsoft worth around $500 million dollars back in Decemeber of last year.

Besides, it doesn't take much effort to notice that around 90% of all the multi-platform games, GameTrailers uses the X360 box art over everything else. In fact, I believe of the twenty or so top selling multi-platform games, only two of the listings on GameTrailers use the PS3 box art. :lol:

Oh well, I guess when even GameTrailers is forced to show that a PS3 edition looks better, it must be. :)

As I have said before, GameTrailers is a fantastic site for getting high resolution videos on games and such, but as far as being impartial in their comparisons, I think for the most part they are pretty blatantly biased towards supporting their premium business partner, Microsoft.

As I have said before, GameTrailers is a fantastic site for getting high resolution videos on games and such, but as far as being impartial in their comparisons, I think for the most part they are pretty blatantly biased towards supporting their premium business partner, Microsoft.

Well said. 👍

Anywho, I just got my box from Sony, tomorrow I'll ship it out and start counting the days...

For those of you who don't know, the number in my signature is the error code I got. It links to a Google search that shows posts by people who think rants in ALL CAPS get taken seriously. :lol:

Hmm. I guess you guys haven't played Hal Life 2 for PS3. I own it and it looks and plays fine. EA did an ok job with the port, I played the PC version.
Yeah, I've played it. Most of the time it's ok, but it some parts the framerate becomes horrible for no apparent reason, especially in the episode games.

I think there still isn't a lot of games which look better on the PS3 - maybe a couple exactly the same - but I wouldn't go as far saying they all look better on the 360. COD4 looks exactly the same, but the PS3 has a clearer image, GTA4 I'd say looks a little better because of the superior lighting (but is sharper on 360 with no more visible aliasing) and is more colourful, GRID demo looks identical, a little clearer on the PS3, Burnout Paradise from what I could remember looked identical... Just in COD and GTA 4 the framerate does drop a little more than the X360. And I presume the clearer image is either the HDMI (since I'm using component on X360) or the PS3 doing some good processing.

They're the only ones I can think of at the moment.

Hey, guys!

Just got a call from Sony Portugal, they're FINALLY delivering the replacement PS3. I arranged so they go where I work tomorrow morning and I'll get it there.

Wow, it's been a loooooooooong time without it and I'll finally get a chance to play GT5P, along with the Playseat, G25 and the new LCD TV, so it's also going to be the first time I'll see some HD stuff on it. :dunce:

Hope everything goes well with this one, I'd hate to go through all the process again... :ouch:

Back