PS3 General Discussion

Have you tried resetting your PS3's Video settings? if not, when you start the PS3 up, hold the button down until you hear a second beep (the first one being the one you get the second you touch the button)

From,
Chirs.

Well, when i plug in my DVI cable it give me the message and then i wait 30 sec to return to the normal video settings. Nothing works, only the Scart on that tv works.:(

At least they were polite.

Still, that sucks.

Man, that sucks. Wish Playstation Portugal would sort themselves out for you....

Well at least the service was polite about it. Stinks though that they are having problems getting you a PS3 back.

Yeah, I wasn't mad at the guy on the other side of the line; he was just doing his job. I'm sure if he had more info, he'd gladly share it with me.

Still, as you guys said, it really sucks.
Going on 2 months now without a piece of hi-tech gadget that costed me almost 70% of what I make in a month, and nothing I can do about it.
Really disapointed with the way Sony PT is handling this, especially after they fully assured me they had lots of spare 60Gb PS3's to cover for situations like mine.

Nothing I can do but wait and call them every week...

Yeah, I wasn't mad at the guy on the other side of the line; he was just doing his job. I'm sure if he had more info, he'd gladly share it with me.

Still, as you guys said, it really sucks.
Going on 2 months now without a piece of hi-tech gadget that costed me almost 70% of what I make in a month, and nothing I can do about it.
Really disapointed with the way Sony PT is handling this, especially after they fully assured me they had lots of spare 60Gb PS3's to cover for situations like mine.

Nothing I can do but wait and call them every week...

Tell them to stuff it and get a full refund. Then buy a 60GB off somewhere like Ebay, that is you can't be bothered to wait any longer.

The parents have bought a replacement TV for the living room, so...

:D

I lost the comparison picture, but my last TV for the PS3 was 1/2 the size... The TV is a little too big for the room really, but I think I'll get used to it, especially since getting the TV up the stairs was a real 🤬 pain (literally - part of my hand has swollen). It's awesome - shame it's only 720p though.

I'm going to put my sound system from the X360 into the room as well. I was going to use headphones with it like I do currently, but the headphone socket for the Pioneer appears to be broken, so the amp needs to be swapped. :(

Has anyone ever gotten a message that the system is rebuilding database or something? My PS3 froze in a weird way the other day when I tried to exit out of the GRiD demo (more shoddy EA programming?) my backround image came up but no XMB, after a few minutes of waiting I restarted the system using the PS button which was still working. Upon turning the system back on it took about 2 minutes to "rebuild the database" or something like that. The only effect it seems to have had on my system is that my music playlists are gone even though all my music is still on there.

Tell them to stuff it and get a full refund. Then buy a 60GB off somewhere like Ebay, that is you can't be bothered to wait any longer.

Beerz I agree. Sony-Port has screwed you around enough to this point, I think getting creative is completely legitimate now.

And you and your distracting avatars ;)

Also... Mr pressure point say hello to Mr Hammer!
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10459&Itemid=2

"I would say without hesitation that our quality is going to be up this year versus the prior year," Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello said in a Tuesday earnings call.

Riccitiello has made it a very public priority to up the quality of EA's titles. A recent review score average of EA's titles was 77 percent, but Riccitiello said at an analyst meeting in February that he wants EA to exceed 80 percent by fiscal 2011.

He reiterated the intended focus on quality during an earnings call Tuesday. "I would say without hesitation that our quality is going to be up this year versus the prior year. I would say without hesitation that our ship timing is going to be improved versus the prior year," he predicted.

But chasing higher quality may cause sacrifices in another important area: timeliness. "If I had to tell you which will give, ship time will give before quality," he said. "We're making big improvements on timeliness, but there's still more work to do."

Games on the slate for fiscal 2009 include games from typically well-reviewed game makers (and recent EA acquisitions) Pandemic and Bioware. Pandemic has Mercenaries 2 and Saboteur in the pipeline, while BioWare has the RPG Dragon Age in the works.

Other promising titles from EA include Mirror's Edge from DICE and Spore from Maxis.

:eek: Hmmm.... I wonder what's the most direct way for EA to ensure that there game review$ $cores go up? ;)

They can stop releasing Need For speed Titles every year.
They can kill off many of their year to year franchises
They can get rid of dead lines all together
They can release a Sports game every two years upgrading the year after
They can release games with full content and stop making people download things that should have come with the game
They can buy the GTA and Midnight Club franchises lol.
They can keep taking ideas adding their own twist from great games (Army of Two)

I was thinkin' they can keep paying off, or increase their payments to, the review sites like... hmmm.... I don't know... GameSpot maybe ;)

Just want to say that Sony Customer Support is brilliant (here in the UK). I had no problems with them after my bro's 40GB PS3 died (drive problem - could'nt read ANY disc). And better still replacement comes tomorrow (next day) though probably a refurb. Still, I'm happy.

Microsoft on the other hand are awful. My 360 Elite died and not only do I have to supply my own coffin for it it will take 2 to 3 weeks for a replacement. And that 360 was as old as the 40GB PS3. Sony wins here, big time!!

Just want to say that Sony Customer Support is brilliant (here in the UK). I had no problems with them after my bro's 40GB PS3 died (drive problem - could'nt read ANY disc). And better still replacement comes tomorrow (next day) though probably a refurb. Still, I'm happy.

Microsoft on the other hand are awful. My 360 Elite died and not only do I have to supply my own coffin for it it will take 2 to 3 weeks for a replacement. And that 360 was as old as the 40GB PS3. Sony wins here, big time!!

I have a feeling Beerz has a different opinion. Hes been waiting for months for his replacement.

Has anyone else had issues with Sony's tech support in America or am I just always blessed with idiots?

Has anyone else had issues with Sony's tech support in America or am I just always blessed with idiots?

They're only really allowed to repeat what's on their computer's screen, which isn't much. Plus, most are college kids trying to earn some extra cash. It's funny how none of them are much older than say 21 years.

They're only really allowed to repeat what's on their computer's screen, which isn't much. Plus, most are college kids trying to earn some extra cash. It's funny how none of them are much older than say 21 years.

Ya I understand that since most tech support lines just have someone reading off a computer screen. I totally expect that when I call, but it just seems like Sony asks the most basic questions and the people answer the phone pissed off. I know they don't have a glamorous job but when I start the conversation in a cheery manner and get rewarded with someone making me out for a fool I get quite mad.

Also most places have higher level support with more advanced people and it never seems I can get there, assuming Sony has one. This isn't just for the PS3 though, it's for my camera and various things as work that I call to get fixed. I like Sony's products, I just wish they had proper support to back them up when something goes wrong.

Sony is charging Hong Kong players to download themes from the PS Store

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/05/16/sony-charging-hong-kong-ps3-owners-to-download-themes/

How do I customerize my PS3? That sounds interesting.

EDIT: While I am here I might as well post this:

Official first-party release list for PS3 and PSP.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/16/sony-first-party-psp-and-ps3-release-list/
Although this information has been reported on in one form or another, here's the condensed list of Sony's first-party titles coming out for PSP and PS3 in the foreseeable future:

• Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee 2 (PSP) -- June 3, 2008
  • Secret Agent Clank (PSP) -- June 17, 2008
  • wipEout HD (PSN) -- Summer 2008
  • Elefunk (PSN) -- Summer 2008
  • PixelJunk Eden (PSN) -- Summer 2008
  • SIREN: Blood Curse (PSN) -- Summer 2008
  • SOCOM: US Navy SEALs Confrontation (PS3) -- September 16, 2008
  • LittleBigPlanet (PS3) -- October 2008
  • NBA 09 (PS3, PSP, PS2) -- Fall 2008
  • BUZZ! Quiz TV (PS3) -- Fall 2008
  • BUZZ! Master Quiz (PSP) -- Fall 2008
  • MotorStorm Pacific Rift (PS3) -- Fall 2008
  • Resistance 2 (PS3) -- Fall 2008
  • Killzone 2 (PS3) -- February 2009

Dates, titles and everything else are subject to change without warning. If it's LittleBigPlanet though, you'll probably hear quite a bit of whining from us first.

I haven't, but then again, I don't own any Sony products other than my PS3, and haven't had any problems with it. My cameras are a Nikon and a Canon. My camcorder is a Canon. My projectors are a Panasonic and an In Focus. My TVs are a Samsung, Vizio, Panasonic, and a crappy 13" JVC (but it's only used as a security monitor). My laptops are a Dell and HP, and none of my monitors are from Sony. My portable music player is an Apple, and my cell phones are a Blackberry and a Motorola.

Basically, while I will admit Sony makes some excellent electronic devices, often they are either over priced, or lack features I want.

However, I do follow both JD Power & Associates' customer satisfaction and quality research studies, as well as studies by Consumer Reports, and when they have published data on customer support feedback, Sony always seems to be highly rated.

Unfortunately though, customer support in general appears to be on a steady decline throughout all companies and industries... or maybe some people also have unreasonable expectations... or most likely it's a combination of both.

LMAO...... totally all round cooling FTW! Looks kinda noisy though :lol:

Post a pic with your PS3 on in front of it with the fans on then it will be a great snap!

Hey!

I stumbled about an odd, general problem with the PS3 lately, and it just came up again, so I thought I'd just ask it here:

Is there a headset that works with the Playstation 3 and does it all? (= record voice chat via mic and play game sounds and voice chat)

The problem is this: I'd like to get a nice headset for my PS3. As I am an audio nut, quality is the only issue, and money is no object. So, I searched the net for headsets for the PS3. I immediately found a lot of bluetooth ones, but obviously, they are not designed for sound quality, rather than for having an easy way to use ingame chatting. I'd also like to do that, but I'd like to have a full scale headphone with good sound quality that plays ingame sounds as well as chat. So Bluetooth seems to be out of the race, and as there are no dedicated in- or outputs for mics and headphones on the PS3, USB is the only way left. I did find some small USB soundcards that are known to work with the PS3, but "work" only includes the microphone input. There seems to be no way to play game sounds though these soundcards.

So I'm kinda baffled now, as I failed to find any possible solution to this matter. Anyone?

Is that the cooling pads?

You should use water in the ps3 system(in something that WON'T leak) as a heat sink.:lol:
Why is everybody laughing with my very beautiful invention? :(

Hey!

I stumbled about an odd, general problem with the PS3 lately, and it just came up again, so I thought I'd just ask it here:

Is there a headset that works with the Playstation 3 and does it all? (= record voice chat via mic and play game sounds and voice chat)

The problem is this: I'd like to get a nice headset for my PS3. As I am an audio nut, quality is the only issue, and money is no object. So, I searched the net for headsets for the PS3. I immediately found a lot of bluetooth ones, but obviously, they are not designed for sound quality, rather than for having an easy way to use ingame chatting. I'd also like to do that, but I'd like to have a full scale headphone with good sound quality that plays ingame sounds as well as chat. So Bluetooth seems to be out of the race, and as there are no dedicated in- or outputs for mics and headphones on the PS3, USB is the only way left. I did find some small USB soundcards that are known to work with the PS3, but "work" only includes the microphone input. There seems to be no way to play game sounds though these soundcards.

So I'm kinda baffled now, as I failed to find any possible solution to this matter. Anyone?
Isn't it possible to use a USB microphone or do you really need a headphone as well.

Isn't it possible to use a USB microphone or do you really need a headphone as well.
A microphone and a USB soundcard work as a standalone solution. And I could play the game sounds through my TV, so I could as well use a headphone. But how do I listen to the ingame chat then?

And I mean this is something that happens, so there must be a solution intended by Sony.

Ya I understand that since most tech support lines just have someone reading off a computer screen. I totally expect that when I call, but it just seems like Sony asks the most basic questions and the people answer the phone pissed off. I know they don't have a glamorous job but when I start the conversation in a cheery manner and get rewarded with someone making me out for a fool I get quite mad.

Also most places have higher level support with more advanced people and it never seems I can get there, assuming Sony has one. This isn't just for the PS3 though, it's for my camera and various things as work that I call to get fixed. I like Sony's products, I just wish they had proper support to back them up when something goes wrong.

I'm sure it's because they talk to about 30 people a day just like you, who treat them just like they treat you.

My PS3 broke, and I had a new one within 2 weeks.

The big difference is you, not them, trust me. They're answering the phone because they know you're going to be a dick to them, and it's very likely that you were. "Look, I just want to speak to a manager, I dont' need to speak to you".

I worked tech support for a short while when I was in college, and I know exactly the type of crap they have to deal with.

The ingame sounds come through the speakers of your TV, like you said. But isn't it possible that the ingame chat will also come throught the speakers of your TV?

In that case, you only need a USB mic.

It is. If you go to the Audio Device Settings menu you can choose to use two different devices, one for input (mic) and one for output (headset).

You can do the same for video and voice chatting over the PSN using the Chat Control Panel.

Also, I find it is helpful to adjust the volume level in these settings, in addition to the volume level of either your sound system and/or headset. 👍

I use the PS Eye as the microphone:

The PlayStation Eye features a built-in four-capsule microphone array, with which the PlayStation 3 can employ technologies for multi-directional voice location tracking, echo cancellation, and background noise suppression. This allows the peripheral to be used for speech recognition and audio chat in noisy environments without the use of a headset.

The PlayStation Eye microphone array operates with each channel processing 16-bit samples at a sampling rate of 48 kilohertz, and a signal-to-noise ratio of 90 decibels.

Then I either choose my audio system for the audio output, or if I don't want to disturb anyone, then I use my Jawbone Bluetooth headset for the audio output.

YMMV, but it has worked out very well for me.

Latest Posts

Back