PS3 General Discussion

Are motorstorm and UT3 worth getting?

I would probably hold out for Motorstorm 2 now, UT3 is good because you can transfer all modded stuff from PC to PS3. Someone has even done a Halo mod for it meaning you can finally play Halo on PS3! :sly:

Robin

I've got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

^ This means I'm happy 👍

Down side is that I'm at work right now (just came back from lunch), and I'll have to wait until I get home to plug it in and try it out.
Still, beats not having it. ;)

I've got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

^ This means I'm happy 👍

Down side is that I'm at work right now (just came back from lunch), and I'll have to wait until I get home to plug it in and try it out.
Still, beats not having it. ;)
Now go home and enjoy your new PS3. That's an order!
1043691690_0.gif

My question: is it possible to check how many gigs is left on the PS3's HDD?

Now go home and enjoy your new PS3. That's an order!
1043691690_0.gif

Quite agree - Beerz pull a 'sickie' right now - honest boss I feel really ill.

My question: is it possible to check how many gigs is left on the PS3's HDD?

Yes - got the 'system' XMB option, then 'system information' and you will find it down near the bottom.

Regards

Scaff

Beerz pull a 'sickie' right now - honest boss I feel really ill.

Scaff

Didnt think a Mod would condone that sort of thing! :P

Great to see you got it back eventually Beerz, did you even get as much of an apology for the unexceptable time you had to wait? In fact you deserve
proper compensation, (PS Store Credit I'm thinking of 💡).

Are motorstorm and UT3 worth getting?

I didn't like Motorstorm very much, while it looked great the game play was rather meh to me. I'm not all that disappointed though since it came "free" with the PS3 when I bought it. You can probably pick it up really cheap used now from a game store or off eBay.

===

Congrats Beerz for getting the PS3 back!

Your best bet is to buy a receiver that has an HDMI input and supports DTS-MA.
If by support, you mean it has the DTS-HD decoder, then no. That would be a waste of good money.

As mentioned before, the PS3 already has both Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD decoders, so it's unnecessary to have a receiver or audio processor that has it as well. All you need to enjoy Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD and 5.1-7.1 PCM is a PS3, any version of HDMI, and a receiver or audio processor with an HDMI input that isn't just a *pass-through switcher to the display.

*There have been some receivers with HDMI inputs that were not able to pull the audio signal from an HDMI source, and instead were only acting as a video switcher to the display. Fortunately, there were very few of these types of receivers made, and that was a couple years ago. I suspect most if not all receivers made today with HDMI inputs are fully capable of accepting audio signals from the HDMI inputs.

Now if you are not using a PS3, and instead have a Blu-ray player that does not have Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD decoders, then you'll not only need a receiver or audio processor with those decoders, but your player will have to have HDMI 1.3 connectors as well, and in the event of any hand shaking issues, you may also find you'll need an *HDMI 1.3 certified cable.

*Although that's the least of your worries, as you can get these for very little money. In fact, I just bought four of these for less than $4 a piece for a recent A/V shootout comparing displays, audio and video processors, speakers, audio and video codecs, and yes, even cables. We are still running the shootout, but after three days, these el-cheapo HDMI cables have proven to perform exactly the same as HDMI cable that costs more than ten times as much.

BTW: Anyone looking for some nice quality TOSLINK (digital optical) cable, I also bought four of these premium TOSLINK cables for only $6 a piece for the same shootout, and they have performed perfectly. 👍

So bottom line, with a PS3, you only need a 7.1 receiver or audio processor with an HDMI input (that can accept audio from that input of course), and a 7.1 speaker system of course, in order to listen to 7.1 master quality audio. 👍

However, I will say, the difference between lossless PCM (or Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD) and Bitstream (Dolby Digital/DTS) and other lossy audio formats is significantly greater than the difference between 7.1 and 5.1 audio. With that in mind, if a decent 7.1 audio system is not a financially reasonable solution, then even a 5.1 audio system with a receiver or audio processor with an HDMI input, is going to be a far better choice than a 5.1 system without HDMI.

In fact, depending on the room, the speakers used, and the placement of those speakers, in many cases, it would be difficult to tell the difference between 5.1 and 7.1 systems, especially given the fact that many so-called 7.1 audio tracks are not really taking full advantage of the extra two channels.

So basically, the first priority should be getting the best quality sound, and that would mean focusing on getting some decent speakers and a system (player, receiver/processor, and cables) that allows you to listen to lossless audio like PCM and Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD. After that, then worry about how many channels of sound you want to be able to listen to. 👍

Only with PS3 games. DLC/patches/DVDs/Blu-rays/older PS games are not.

Firmware also is not region free. Getting your firmware from the wrong region is a guaranteed way to brick your system.

D-N, your comments, as usual, are helpful beyond belief. A bit disappointing, also, as I purchased a H-K AVR340 to use with the PS3. I wasn't concerned about HDMI, because I have an older RPHDTV with no HDMI input, and the price was right. I figured (incorrectly) the sound output from the optical was the same as HDMI. Live and learn, and next time I should learn first and buy later!

It still sounds terrific, and through a decent set of headphones, the gaming experience is surreal. I got a set of Sennheiser HD-555's on Saturday-COD4 was overwhelming with the phones on, I could only play for 45 minutes before I felt completely shellshocked and exhausted. When racing GT5P online, I can hear what the people around me are doing, and it makes a huge difference when trying to race clean.

And you say through HDMI it can sound better than this? Crazy. I think I would have been better off not knowing this!

If by support, you mean it has the DTS-HD decoder, then no. That would be a waste of good money.

As mentioned before, the PS3 already has both Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD decoders, so it's unnecessary to have a receiver or audio processor that has it as well. All you need to enjoy Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD and 5.1-7.1 PCM is a PS3, any version of HDMI, and a receiver or audio processor with an HDMI input that isn't just a *pass-through switcher to the display.

*There have been some receivers with HDMI inputs that were not able to pull the audio signal from an HDMI source, and instead were only acting as a video switcher to the display. Fortunately, there were very few of these types of receivers made, and that was a couple years ago. I suspect most if not all receivers made today with HDMI inputs are fully capable of accepting audio signals from the HDMI inputs.

Now if you are not using a PS3, and instead have a Blu-ray player that does not have Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD decoders, then you'll not only need a receiver or audio processor with those decoders, but your player will have to have HDMI 1.3 connectors as well, and in the event of any hand shaking issues, you may also find you'll need an *HDMI 1.3 certified cable.

*Although that's the least of your worries, as you can get these for very little money. In fact, I just bought four of these for less than $4 a piece for a recent A/V shootout comparing displays, audio and video processors, speakers, audio and video codecs, and yes, even cables. We are still running the shootout, but after three days, these el-cheapo HDMI cables have proven to perform exactly the same as HDMI cable that costs more than ten times as much.

BTW: Anyone looking for some nice quality TOSLINK (digital optical) cable, I also bought four of these premium TOSLINK cables for only $6 a piece for the same shootout, and they have performed perfectly. 👍

So bottom line, with a PS3, you only need a 7.1 receiver or audio processor with an HDMI input (that can accept audio from that input of course), and a 7.1 speaker system of course, in order to listen to 7.1 master quality audio. 👍

However, I will say, the difference between lossless PCM (or Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD) and Bitstream (Dolby Digital/DTS) and other lossy audio formats is significantly greater than the difference between 7.1 and 5.1 audio. With that in mind, if a decent 7.1 audio system is not a financially reasonable solution, then even a 5.1 audio system with a receiver or audio processor with an HDMI input, is going to be a far better choice than a 5.1 system without HDMI.

In fact, depending on the room, the speakers used, and the placement of those speakers, in many cases, it would be difficult to tell the difference between 5.1 and 7.1 systems, especially given the fact that many so-called 7.1 audio tracks are not really taking full advantage of the extra two channels.

So basically, the first priority should be getting the best quality sound, and that would mean focusing on getting some decent speakers and a system (player, receiver/processor, and cables) that allows you to listen to lossless audio like PCM and Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD. After that, then worry about how many channels of sound you want to be able to listen to. 👍

My point is, it's obvious he's investing quite a bit of money into home theater and entertainment, and it's a no brainer somewhere down the line he'll want to purchase a stand alone blu-ray player, or some new digital cable box that might support 7.1 audio, who knows. It's better to get something you know will support a multitude of devices, rather than just one, IMO at least.

That said, excellent post :)

Uhh, I'm pretty sure this isn't true, I'll have to double check.

No your wrong, Sony says it on every website where you get the firmware...

For example on the HK firmware website for HK PS3's...

Sony
This update is for customers who own PS3™ systems sold in SCE Asia area, including Hong Kong, Taiwan, Thai, Singapore, Malaysia. DO NOT update your PS3™ system through this Web site if you own a system purchased in a region other than SCE Asia area, including Hong Kong, Taiwan, Thai, Singapore, Malaysia. There is no guarantee of proper operation with other models of the PS3™ system.

Robin.

Sweet, so when Ferrari Challenge comes out I'll still be able to play it with me in the US! :D

One more little question, is burnout paradise worth getting?

No your wrong, Sony says it on every website where you get the firmware...

For example on the HK firmware website for HK PS3's...

Robin.

hahahaha, dude I completely forgot that you could download firmware of the net :dunce:

Still, I can't see why anyone in their right mind would download firmware from another region?

hahahaha, dude I completely forgot that you could download firmware of the net :dunce:

Still, I can't see why anyone in their right mind would download firmware from another region?
Some people imported their PS3 from Asia before they were available in the US and Europe.

Plus, in my case, I have a Japanese, British, Australian, Hong Kong, and 2 US accounts on my PS3. I need to make sure I am in a US account when I go to do firmware.

That is rarely a problem as I switch back to my main US account for Folding, but if I made the mistake I could be in trouble.

As Foolkiller explained if your using a regional account thats different to your consoles region you could accidentally receive the wrong update when logging into PSN.

For example my PS3's a HK 60GB but I always use my UK PSN account, thats how you could brick your machine!

I take the safest route and get them off the net from the HK website.. that way I know its correct.

Robin

Although I'm not as young as I once was I've apparently got good hearing. Using an optical cable with a 5.1 sound system sounds perfect.I struggled to hear any improvement from a 7.1 system over HDMI, especially for games. Even for films, the quality of the speakers and amplifier seem much more important.

Just another point of view before people part with their cash :-)

Although I'm not as young as I once was I've apparently got good hearing. Using an optical cable with a 5.1 sound system sounds perfect.I struggled to hear any improvement from a 7.1 system over HDMI, especially for games.
That's very surprising and definitely doesn't mirror my own or the experiences of any of the people that I've done blind audio testing with.

What was the equipment in the 7.1 and 5.1 system ? What was the source? Perhaps there were other variables at play that may have tainted the results?

I know from my own experience from hosting audio and video comparisons in my theater, I and everyone who has ever attended has quickly identified and preferred the audio from PCM, whether it be two channels or seven, over identical sound mixes that have been coded to Dolby Digital and DTS.

It's as obvious as comparing an MP3 ripped song to the original from the CD... or a CD version of a song to its SACD or DVD-Audio counterpart.

As I said though, the difference between 5.1 and 7.1 is not nearly as obvious as the difference between Dolby Digital/DTS and PCM/Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD... but in both cases there are differences. This is not to say there is something wrong about a 5.1 Dolby Digital/DTS system. Heck, some of the best sound systems in the world are two channel analog powered by tube amplifiers.

However, in regards to the PS3, Blu-ray and other formats that have been properly mixed to take advantage of PCM, then having a system that can accept those audio signals and reproduce the master quality recordings should not be dismissed so easily, or mislead anyone into thinking they won’t be able to hear the difference.

Although I'm not as young as I once was I've apparently got good hearing. Using an optical cable with a 5.1 sound system sounds perfect.I struggled to hear any improvement from a 7.1 system over HDMI, especially for games. Even for films, the quality of the speakers and amplifier seem much more important.

Just another point of view before people part with their cash :-)

It's literally impossible that you heard both set ups side by side. Either that, or the 7.1 set up wasn't processing lossless audio over HDMI. It's very possible if you heard the set up in a store that it was not 7.1 at all, just LCPM 2CH coming out of 7 speakers (plus the sub).

The 7.1 speakers I was thinking of are passive speakers. Do I not need a 7.1 ch amplifier (like I mentioned before) instead of a 7.1 receiver/audio processor?

It's true that it was in a shop (can't remember the exact hardware involved). I wasn't considering buying at the time so I didn't do the usual checks of exactly what they had done.

Thanks to your comments though I think I'll revisit this later in the year, perhaps take my PS3 to the audio shop and see (well hear) for myself!

The 7.1 speakers I was thinking of are passive speakers. Do I not need a 7.1 ch amplifier (like I mentioned before) instead of a 7.1 receiver/audio processor?

7.1 (or 5.1 or 6.1 for that matter) reciever/audio processors also amplify, the name comes from the fact that they don't just amplify the signal. Rather they first process it and in some cases also have radio receivers built in as well.

As an example, the Onkyo TX-SR606 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver, as its full name goes is a 7.1 decoder, with a radio receiver built in and 7 way amplification.

You are quite right that 7 of the 7.1 speakers are going to be passive, but the .1 bit is almost certainly going to be active. Most sub-woofers are active units, with AV recievers providing a sub pre-out which is not amplified.

Regards

Scaff

...and do you think 7.1 is worthwhile for games, films, music or all of the above? (in comparison to 5.1 over a TOS cable with a decent amplifier)

Latest Posts

Back