Questionable modifications: pictures inside!

• Thread starter -Fred-
  • 38,839 comments
For whatever reason the Focus community thinks Plasti-Dip is the best thing since sliced bread. I think it makes anything other than your handtools look like complete crap. Here's a prime example of over doing it.

20130307_171639_zps73d0fccf.jpg

I think most of the young people (which are usually the ones online) Seem to think Plasti dip is amazing. Hell, over here there is even a monopoly with the plastidip and it's impossible to get a can for less than 10 bucks, there's even small businesses basing themselves around it. I'd say it has its uses and it's definitely better than having inexperienced people dealing with spray paint.

Also, I am sick and tired of blacked out emblems, either debadge it or leave it, it looks good on the small minority of cases.

Plasti-Dip has a purpose, it goes on the end of tools to give you a better grip. The closest it should ever come to your car is when you take your wrench with a coated handle to loosen a bolt.

Seriously anytime anyone asks anything anything remotely related to changing a color on the Focus forums the immediate answer is Plasti-Dip. I asked about what paint would be the best to paint my winter wheels and everyone recommended Plasti-Dip, I never did find out what was the best paint.

I agree that using Plasti-Dip on a car is pretty stupid, but that Focus looks pretty good, IMO. I just don't care for the mud flaps that much. I'm sure it wouldn't look as good up close, though...

Plasti-Dip

I like it the whole plasti-dip thing. Sometimes it's looks a little stupid but it's nice for little things like wheels, trim, grill and other parts on a car. It can be easily removed unlike paint and with no damage. You can color different parts of your car and see what they look like without wasting time on painting it and then if you don't like it you are wasting more time on removing the paint but with plasti-dip it can be removed within seconds.

Last edited:
I like it the whole plasti-dip thing. Sometimes it's looks a little stupid but it's nice for little things like wheels, trim, grill and other parts on a car. It can be easily removed unlike paint and with no damage. You can color different parts of your car and see what they look like without wasting time on painting it and then if you don't like it you are wasting more time on removing the paint but with plasti-dip it can be removed within seconds.

It just looks beyond cheap and tacky though. If you want to add a different color to your car and you don't want to use paint, there's about a zillion different kinds of vinyl you can use. But really with trim pieces, if you can aim a can of Plasti-Dip you can aim a can of paint.

If you're curious how something will look a different color just mock-it up first using colored electrical tape or just use Photoshop.

I'd crucify this guy for his parking skills.

And I won't buy the story telling that he's afraid of people scratching his expensive car with their doors.

He probably parked it that way so he could get the car and background at that certain angle.

Quite over done but I really like the skull heads on the exhaust tips. That looks badass. Might actually do that someday.

Plasti-Dip has a purpose, it goes on the end of tools to give you a better grip. The closest it should ever come to your car is when you take your wrench with a coated handle to loosen a bolt.

Seriously anytime anyone asks anything anything remotely related to changing a color on the Focus forums the immediate answer is Plasti-Dip. I asked about what paint would be the best to paint my winter wheels and everyone recommended Plasti-Dip, I never did find out what was the best paint.
I think plasti dip has some pretty good uses. I did my bumpers in it

wiajcz.jpg

wl61s3.jpg

Well this is interesting...

1990 Super Step Deck Pick up. Corvette Pick up. 305/Automatic, Power Windows. Shaved doors w/ poppers. New Corvette Wheels and Tires. New Steering Wheel. Taken 2 1/2 years to get this vehicle to this point. Custom Paint, hours and hours of fiberglass work, one of a kind, cruises down the road at 70 plus, no problem. Can't discribe all the extra work that went into this Super Step Deck. They always guess what it is at all the car shows, no one's got it right yet , a real head turner. Just added new grill. just spent $2,000.on Upholstery.

3Eb3J53Ne5Id5G65M9d36d05eacf586d21f96.jpg

3Kd3G53Jb5Gf5M45Jcd3686e14c9805c41f5d.jpg
3K33L63J65Nb5F65M8d36757126b797011c20.jpg

3F43Md3H55Nd5H35Jed36b37a9ba316a61201.jpg

I like how the Mustang link shows mainly car that aren't Mustangs or, better yet, factory Mustangs.

Back