Questionable modifications: pictures inside!

• Thread starter -Fred-
  • 38,839 comments
What's up with Supra tail lights? I've seen a lot a imports (mainly from other brands) with them. 👎:grumpy:

They look good, the cover is clear, and have a simple shape that is easy to mould around which makes them the perfect ricer tail.

That CRX is sad, they should give it to me. I can attempt to fix it. It's what it would have wanted.

47611454d1185376760-crazy-and-weird-engine-swaps-dsc00201.jpg

So?

I'm kind of okay with that, really. I don't care much for targas, so any modification of that sort is alright with me.

I'd drive it, at least.

EDIT: Look at the engine bay.

Holy crap, that is a Trueno, poor thing.

I'm not familiar with Honda engines or the CR-X's performance. What would you be beating?

Not about beating anything, it's about making a light fwd with around ~200-220 whp to track.

On the note of that 911:
I've seen a few of these before. Personally, I would never do that, and I think it's stupid and maybe even a little traitorous to the brand.

But.

I see the appeal. It is stupidly expensive to add power in a older (pre-996) 911, especially keeping whatever motor your car came with stock. That car looks like a Carrera Targa, which would mean it has the 3.2, which means that the easy power comes from backdating the exhaust to SSIs (or equivalent). That will pick you up 10-15 hp, but (especially since they don't make real SSIs anymore) even that is easily >$1200 to buy the new headers and a new muffler that will fit them.

After that, you're looking at ditching the CIS and going to PMOs or Webbers, which is a bigger power gain (20-30), but is another $2500+ prospect, and means you now have a carb car instead of a nice fuel-injected car.

After that, the next step is going to a different, more-aggressive cam profile. This is another decent power gain (15-20), but is (especially if you don't do the work yourself) easily another $1200+.

So, after all that, at least $5K into it, you've picked up maybe 50bhp, which means you now make a thundering ~260bhp (on a US car, gains would be less on a less-regulated Euro car) in your car. The smarter option some would say is to simply swap a 3.6 varioram in and be done with it. That's an easy ~290bhp right? Yes, it is, but it's also an easy $10K, at least. Plus the same cost for backdating the exhaust (which you almost have to do to make it fit).

Taking the V8 route is a similar cost to the 3.6 swap, and is not only more power, but is actually lighter and much cheaper to add even MORE power to. So yes, I see the appeal.

It's still an abomination. But a semi-logical one at least :lol:

The red Targa with a V8...

My primary concern would be weight/weight distribution... I suspect a V8 would be both longer and heavier than the flat 6, and have it's weight higher up, further adding to an already tail heavy balance. It's true that it's hard to get much extra power out of these engines, but if you really must have more power buy a Turbo - they make a decent amount of power stock, and are tunable to big outputs.

What's with the black front end? And those wheels are terrible!

Is this an attempt to make the back look like a 934 or what's going on here?
4pCHeK5.jpg

That's a Rauh Welt... Cult Japanese 911 modifier.

That particular 993 is reasonably tame by RWB standards as it doesn't have a 6ft high multi-plane wing on the back :D

This one is a bit more extreme...

img_312738_1263843_0.jpg

That's a Rauh Welt... Cult Japanese 911 modifier.

That particular 993 is reasonably tame by RWB standards as it doesn't have a 6ft high multi-plane wing on the back :D

That's not an actual RWB car, though... Someone from Germany or Eastern Europe, I can't remember, all home built with no affiliation to Nakai and RWB.

Hei
Skin it, and make it a track car with either a B16a, B18c, or a K20a

Go for the K20A dude, I would. There's lots of pros when looking at the K-Seies Hondas. I love the EK9 Type-R's B16 and Teggy Type-R's B18's, don't get me wrong.

K20 and bore and stroke that engine to either a K22 or K23. Update the cams, get a ECU kit, improve the transmission with lighter clutches and flywheels, get a better riding suspension kit and combine that with a skinned and lightweight chassis and semi slicks. You're set. Unless you want a turbo/supercharger or run nitrous.

Just my .02 cents though.

MedigoFlame

Is that a convertible version of a AE86 or am I losing it? :odd::boggled:

That poor car man :(. I would definitely try to lower the car's asking price and turn it into a drift/track car and/or a cruiser with a F20C, a 1JZ or 7MGTE.

The Stig Farmer
^Natty Dread <3 lol love RWB. I like how they stance and modify the car to look good and then properly race them. Great garage.

Same here. 👍 The RWBs are amazing cars. They remind me of the older 911s like the 934/35 Moby Dick and the GT racers of the classic Porsche 911s in the 1970s to the late 1990s (993 911 GT2).

playnthru

Not that much questionable to me though I'm a Porsche guy myself! But like Slotty and the other guy said about the pre 996 911s. Either Turbo it, drop a 3.6L Flat-6 with turbo or NA build and this method: put a small block OHV V8 (LS1 for example) inside.

Putting V8 in 911s is similar to the FD3S RX7's 13B rotary being replaced with a LSx, 2JZ, RB and the F20C. Which does saves money and you can more HP and Torque. Which is unique and thinking outside the box.

And Porsche, RUF and everyone dealing with 911s are doing flat V8s (RUF RGT-8 comes to mind) and Porsche also does Inlines to a V10, even a hybrid! (924, 944, Carrera GT and 918 Spyder)

But I still love those air cooled flats and rotor engines still.

Last edited:
That's not an actual RWB car, though... Someone from Germany or Eastern Europe, I can't remember, all home built with no affiliation to Nakai and RWB.

OK, unless you knew that specific car you would assume it was a RWB ;)

Also, I think it's a UK car - it's on UK plates.

Maybe? But Stotty seemed to think it would ruin/effect the weight and balance of the car. It just does not seem to be the case, at least with an LS series engine. Being that it's all aluminum, it weighs less than the 6 it replaces! A turbo adds more weight making it a heavier car! Which does affect handling and balance.👍

So an LS series engine in a Porsche 911 equals an awesome mod..YES.:D

Heres some in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj9HY0wb5-Q You can see they seem to sit a little high in the rear because the LS weights less.👍

I would still call it questionable just because it's a Porsche with GM power.:scared: Maybe it's just me:guilty:

It wouldn't stop me from driving it though!:) I'll find something more questionable next time.:)

A modern SBC would be lighter, and probably smaller, than the engine that was already in there. The problem I have is that I think the aural change would be drastically for the worse.

While I can see why it is questionable and even lame because, you know, chevrolet, I think it actually improves the breed :lol:

It's an effective swap, but it's way unoriginal/unimaginative and it's a shortcut, which is what makes it lame. The only way to make it less questionable would be to find one of the rare cars that has not been given a SBC swap yet. Then you've just ruined it for anyone who does the same project after you. ;)

It's a case of "displacement > all," which has never been a motto I've subscribed to.

Latest Posts

Back