Questionable modifications: pictures inside!

• Thread starter -Fred-
  • 38,839 comments
Only in America....

Except it's from Canada. :D

I've seen it in the flesh over the weekend, ironically. It's very well made, but yeah, not my cup of tea. He's got full Shelby badging all around, too.

1044447_330427023756668_392026138_n.jpg

So this is a thing.....

Mustang front aside, it's a massively lifted pickup truck that is clearly not being used as an off road vehicle, that makes it questionable on its own.

Mustang front aside, it's a massively lifted pickup truck that is clearly not being used as an off road vehicle, that makes it questionable on its own.

Not really, some people like myself prefer that look. And how do you know they don't take it off road? Just because they washed it...

941447_585296341535165_1332637527_n.jpg

Last edited:
Not really, some people like myself prefer that look. And how do you know they don't take it off road? Just because they washed it...

The skidplate is still mirror polished and all the components look brand new. It also appears to have very little improvement in ground clearance and there's no provision for suspension travel which means it's probably just big tires and a body lift. If he actually did a kind of offroading that required a vehicle of this height he'd be driving a Jeep or an FJ40, not a late-model Ford pickup.

This thread is full from beginning to end with imports with fake performance accessories and cosmetic modifications. Turning your pickup into a monster that endangers other cars on the road, severely compromises handling and braking, ruins parking spaces, and isn't actually functional as an off-road vehicle is absolutely questionable. In fact it's arguably worse since at least "ricers" don't destroy the abilities of their cars to function or cause as much inconvenience and danger for the cars around them as lifted pickups do.

The skidplate is still mirror polished and all the components look brand new. It also appears to have very little improvement in ground clearance and there's no provision for suspension travel which means it's probably just big tires and a body lift. If he actually did a kind of offroading that required a vehicle of this height he'd be driving a Jeep or an FJ40, not a late-model Ford pickup.

This thread is full from beginning to end with imports with fake performance accessories and cosmetic modifications. Turning your pickup into a monster that endangers other cars on the road, severely compromises handling and braking, ruins parking spaces, and isn't actually functional as an off-road vehicle is absolutely questionable. In fact it's arguably worse since at least "ricers" don't destroy the abilities of their cars to function or cause as much inconvenience and danger for the cars around them as lifted pickups do.

Sorry but your assumptions are incorrect. That truck clearly does have a suspension lift.

The rest of your post is your opinion maybe? However none of them factual in the least bit. You don't have beat your truck to go off-road?

We've all, or at least some, met some fellows in real life or read stories here on the internet of such people not using there trucks for off-roading purposes. I don't see anything wrong with believing it hasn't been taken off-road. Which I'll agree with, it probably hasn't, and may never will. All for show, you know?

Last edited:
Sorry but your assumptions are incorrect. That truck clearly does have a suspension lift.

The rest of your post is your opinion maybe? However none of them factual in the least bit. You don't have beat your truck to go off-road?

Maybe my understanding of truck terminology is incorrect, then. What I see is a front suspension that seems to be at normal ride height aside from what it gains from the larger tires and a body that is much higher.

There is absolutely no reason why street-driven lifted trucks should not be in this thread. The increase in height and weight, especially unsprung weight, makes them much harder to accelerate, turn, and stop, and their height means that they're much more likely to kill someone they hit. They blind other drivers on the road at night, they're much harder to keep within their lane, and they take multiple parking spaces when parked. A truck like this is too large and doesn't have the suspension travel to do serious trail driving or rock crawling, it's too heavy to be a high speed cross country truck, and it's too high to tow or carry loads, making it useless as a utility vehicle. The only purpose it serves is to be the biggest, tallest thing on the road. At best that makes it a dangerous toy, and at worst it makes it a weapon for intimidating and bullying other drivers.

It's no different from a Camaro on 30" spinners or a stock Civic with neon underglow and a racing wing. Its modifications make it less capable of accomplishing its original tasks and no more capable of doing anything else. It's absolutely questionable.

and they take multiple parking spaces when parked.

I don't disagree with anything else you said, but you've said this twice. I don't see what makes you think a lifted F-150 will take up more parking spaces than a normal F-150. They're going to be the same width, except maybe a couple inches gained from the wider tires (which does not equal two parking spaces).

I saw that and I initially just assumed that it was actually some new BMW that I wasn't aware of; and the questionable part was the fake rear diffuser.

A 1 Series Gran Coupe or something.

I thought it was a 1-series Gran Turismo with prototyping.

By the size of those tires, probably 305/55r20 or 35x12.5r20, it would easily take up a space extremely tightly. Especially seeing it has fender flares. No one parks exactly in the middle. More than likely, it'll be in part of the next space.

Maybe my understanding of truck terminology is incorrect, then. What I see is a front suspension that seems to be at normal ride height aside from what it gains from the larger tires and a body that is much higher.

There is absolutely no reason why street-driven lifted trucks should not be in this thread. The increase in height and weight, especially unsprung weight, makes them much harder to accelerate, turn, and stop, and their height means that they're much more likely to kill someone they hit. They blind other drivers on the road at night, they're much harder to keep within their lane, and they take multiple parking spaces when parked. A truck like this is too large and doesn't have the suspension travel to do serious trail driving or rock crawling, it's too heavy to be a high speed cross country truck, and it's too high to tow or carry loads, making it useless as a utility vehicle. The only purpose it serves is to be the biggest, tallest thing on the road. At best that makes it a dangerous toy, and at worst it makes it a weapon for intimidating and bullying other drivers.

It's no different from a Camaro on 30" spinners or a stock Civic with neon underglow and a racing wing. Its modifications make it less capable of accomplishing its original tasks and no more capable of doing anything else. It's absolutely questionable.

I never said whether it was questionable or not. I said it has a suspension lift. I will also say you're mixing facts and your opinion like crazy.:crazy: Most of what you said regarding trucks is taken way out of context. (1) Lift kits and aftermarket parts are reengineered for those very reasons . And (2), Rock crawling and trails are only part of off roading.

It's only questionable if you don't like it's looks. Your analogy is completely inaccurate. That truck could go places a stock Ford couldn't. You call that questionable, ok.:confused:

I never said whether it was questionable or not. I said it has a suspension lift. I will also say you're mixing facts and your opinion like crazy.:crazy: Most of what you said regarding trucks is taken way out of context. (1) Lift kits and aftermarket parts are reengineered for those very reasons . And (2), Rock crawling and trails are only part of off roading.

It's only questionable if you don't like it's looks. Your analogy is completely inaccurate. That truck could go places a stock Ford couldn't. You call that questionable, ok.:confused:

What places? It has basically the same ground clearance as a stock one. I guess maybe it could go over a really specific tall pointy berm or something. The only improvements are the skid plate and the big tires, but those could have been installed with a smaller lift that would have compromised the truck less if he hadn't put the fender flares on. I know a lot of people who are seriously into all kinds of off-roading, but none of them drive lifted pickups and any of them would say the exact same thing I'm saying, just with a little more technical expertise to back them up.

I don't see where I put much in the way of opinion into that post. SOME lift kits are engineered to try to address some of the concerns, but physics are physics and a vehicle with a high center of gravity and heavy wheels is going to perform worse than without. On top of that, those are clearly OEM control arms, which would indicate to me that this truck has been lifted with a crappy kit that only raises the height and does it in the cheapest, simplest way possible. I've seen what good lift kits that are actually used on expedition trucks look like and I've almost never seen one on the road. (And the few I've seen were not domestic crew cab pickups, nor were they lifted as high or on as large of wheels as hobbyist lifted trucks.) Even the people who build those expedition trucks easily admit that it significantly compromises them as road vehicles and they avoid operating them as such except when on the way to an off-road activity where their abilities are necessary.

Work for them and that's how you have to say it, they get quite annoyed if its not pronounced correctly.

Going back through the thread and noticed this stark contrast to that of the old Willys car company here in the US. The name was actually pronouced "Willis", not "Willies", but the founder said he didn't care how people pronounced the name, so long as they bought the cars.

Too low. Might as well have a wagon or van. Lowering an SUV is questionable too.

Seriously? Now the claim is a stock Range Rover is questionable.:lol: We get you dislike 4x4's, but claiming everything 4x4 related is questionable then making up a reason why.:lol:

What is questionable is you claiming everything 4x4 is questionable??:dunce:

Why not petition your local DMV to outlaw all 4x4's.:sly: You could be the Ralph Nader of Off road.💡

Again how do you know? If somethign got dinged up how do you know they didn't get something fixed? Because IIRC, when our truck was new, that thing was beat to hell and it was lifted and when we were done we cleaned the piss out of it and drove it to work back and forth everyday. And lol at taking up several parking spaces, that clearly does not happen often. You must not know much about trucks because that thing cleaerly has a suspension lift.

Everything you just said made me laugh so hard it wasn't even funny. :lol: Ever seena truck take a 15 foot deep mud pit? Yeah didn't think so...Lets see you take a stock turck and make it without burying it. That truck will go places you wouldn't dreeam of taking a stock truck.
If anything, those modificatiosn actually help...which is why aftermarket is so big for them. Seriously, do you even know what you are saying?

Seriously? Now the claim is a stock Range Rover is questionable.:lol: We get you dislike 4x4's, but claiming everything 4x4 related is questionable then making up a reason why.:lol:

What is questionable is you claiming everything 4x4 is questionable??:dunce:

Why not petition your local DMV to outlaw all 4x4's.:sly: You could be the Ralph Nader of Off road.💡

That wasn't a stock rangie. It was lowered by quite a lot, as you should notice now.

Back