Questionable modifications: pictures inside!

• Thread starter -Fred-
  • 38,839 comments
Your second point. It's not actually a car they sold...

So in other words. It's a Modification.

And if you look back, I said "It looks like one" later on from my comment, so...
No, if we look back, you asked, "That's the McLaren Special Operations one isn't it?"

And I replied it wasn't (because it was Mansory) & couldn't be due to MSO not existing during the era of the SLR (2003-2010).
And it is what it's "Sale" title is I believe, but they'll register it as something else- you don't call a LaFerrari an F150, or maybe you do. As the name is stupid.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.

When that car was produced, it's VIN registered it as a Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren 722S. Even if MSO produced that conversion kit & called the end result of a 722S with the kit a "McLaren Edition MB SLR", the VIN on it will still recognize it as Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren 722S. You can't just rip that VIN off because you put a bodykit & some mechanical tweaks on it; even the rebuilt F1s keep their original VINs.

Your Ferrari example isn't really that strong either as Ferrari's F150 was nothing more than the projected codename for the car by the media; Ferrari had already run into issues with Ford on calling the Formula 1 car the F150, so common sense tells us they wouldn't try to call the road car that. That's in the same bucket as people calling it the F70 when it wasn't that, either.

I like the carbon fiber.... however the wing could have been executed better. I guess they still wanted their air-brake.

This. 👍

I would have put the downforce wing behind and above the air-brake. When the air-brake is activated, it could direct even more air over it, and onto the rear wing elements. Basically, less drag on the straights, and, if done correctly, a more efficient air-brake with more downforce. That would be awesome!

But, putting it in front, the wing might direct airflow away from the air-brake. :scared: that would reduce the efficiency of the second coolest part of that car (behind the exploding gullwing doors.)

Otherwise, there's nothing questionable about it. Having been in a gullwing car (see also: Toyota Sera) I think it's one of the most awesome things ever made.

Edit:

images

Last edited:
You do know that in cars like that & the MP4 GT3, the air brakes are deactivated however, right?

Yes. I posted that picture to explain how it could be positioned behind the air-brake, and why I think it would look better; with proof that it was already done better.

I thought it was some tasteless rich dude who went and one-off customized his car but then I searched for Mansory SLS and WTF, so it's an SLS-R 599? :dunce:

And I'm surprised no one said it yet but the 6-wheeled Ram on the previous page NEEDS LARGER WHEELS!!! :dopey:

Back