Questionable modifications: pictures inside!

• Thread starter -Fred-
  • 38,839 comments
That's my thing right there. The builders start adding too much stuff that it starts to draw attention away from the car. I honestly see no reason to give cars lots of equipment and gadgets that have no other purpose but to grab attention. Sooner or later the people are going to start hating the cars because they just have way too much. I personally like some of the cars from SEMA, but that's when they don't over do it.

SEMA isn't really about the cars as much as it's about the products. If attention gets taken away from the car no one cares as long as people are looking at the products. SEMA is still a trade show and it's main purpose is to sell things to vendors, not build cars for people on the Internet to like/dislike.

Exactly Silverfire, you don't need to put that much stuff on a car to attract attention. You can do better with less nonsense on a car. Focus on other traits for a car than just cosmetic stuff.

Exactly Silverfire, you don't need to put that much stuff on a car to attract attention. You can do better with less nonsense on a car. Focus on other traits for a car than just cosmetic stuff.

It's easier (and cheaper) to cram stuff one car instead of buying three cars to show off stuff. I imagine floor space at SEMA is expensive, as is transporting the vehicles there from where ever they are built.

It's easier (and cheaper) to cram stuff one car instead of buying three cars to show off stuff. I imagine floor space at SEMA is expensive, as is transporting the vehicles there from where ever they are built.
Where in that post did I say bring more than one car?
All I said is that you don't need to put too much cosmetic stuff to get attention from people on a car and focus on more than one area. It's possible to make a car look good and do other things.

It's $4,000 for the smallest booth, which is 10'x10' 100 square feet, and it's $18,000 just for a 20'x20' booth and 400 square feet. The biggest exhibits you can get in certain configurations go for $675,000 and you get 19,200 square feet of rental space.

...and that's only a subtotal.

Where in that post did I say bring more than one car?
All I said is that you don't need to put too much cosmetic stuff to get attention from people on a car and focus on more than one area. It's possible to make a car look good and do other things.

SEMA is about showing off products. If a vendor put less stuff on a car to make it "look good" then they would have to bring along additional vehicles to show off all of their products. It's just easier to throw everything on one vehicle and display that. Plus a car with a lot going on will draw attention, so that's just an added plus.

Given the prices of rentals I can kind of see why they'd go through all that trouble to show everything off that they could. They also need to make up for that, I don't want to say loss, in sales (which if it's any reputable company it should be fairly easy anyways).

Anyways:

CorvetteLimoA.jpg

Last edited:
Guessing you got that from Jalopnik?

I don't find stanced cars to be that bad, unless they have giant chrome wheels and massive amounts of camber... But then, this. A competition to see who doesn't scrape their car... I would not bother to attend this.

Facepalm_227785.jpg

Stance might be yet another fad where the modifications (in this case, explicitly) follow form over function, but it's one of the only fads I can think of that makes the subject cars of modification look, most of the time, better (see pics below of otherwise very ordinary cars). You don't get that with donks, VIP, DUB, rice, or show cars.

271fa04af9d7c485b0c64b56f1b25fe6.jpg

c1f306a13969735e76fbb267ef65eb79.jpg

And when I say 'stance' I don't mean that stupid hella or mexi-flush stuff and its ridiculous camber.

1397444_495250737239450_1565028294_o.jpg

I'm not big on the whole stance thing as I've said before. And...if I'm honest, I don't find big cars like the Lexus LS done like this that bad. That is...not in this horrid color combo.

WP_20131104_06_55_41_Pro.jpg

Pulled into the parking lot at work as I was headed in. It isn't terribly overdone, or anything, just seems like a really strange car to do that to.

Attachments

• WP_20131104_06_55_41_Pro.jpg
    WP_20131104_06_55_41_Pro.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 12
Back