Questionable modifications: pictures inside!

• Thread starter -Fred-
  • 38,839 comments
As the first car I drove in GT3, and perhaps because it doesn't sell outside the U.S., the PT Cruiser was my favourite car for a decent time about a decade ago.

(Brb, just going to have a panic attack upon my realising how quickly time has gone by).

I mostly find this questionable because it was a Ford Focus SVT and the guy decided to aftermarket the looks of it.
00m0m_6u4ByEPvAS0_600x450.jpg

^ I don't get it

All the cars at SEMA are quite questionable... (Just went through stancenation.com's photos)

It was more of a questionable mod from my eyes; I just don't see how that bumper and grill look better on a Focus SVT than the normal ones. It also takes away imo 2 of the differences I notice between a normal focus and its hot hatch counterpart. It's not really a big deal.

PT Cruisers are actually pretty cool so...

The whole concept of the PT Cruiser is cringe worthy. It's retro street/hot-rod styling is a FUBAR concept. A street/hot-rod was taking a 'cooking' bland family car then adding a big engine and other performance enhancements and individualizing it. The PT Cruiser totally puts that on it's head by taking the style of a street/hot-rod, then turning it into a mass produced family car with a little engine. The only thing uncooler than a PT Cruiser is a convertible PT Cruiser.

The whole concept of the PT Cruiser is cringe worthy. It's retro street/hot-rod styling is a FUBAR concept. A street/hot-rod was taking a 'cooking' bland family car then adding a big engine and other performance enhancements and individualizing it. The PT Cruiser totally puts that on it's head by taking the style of a street/hot-rod, then turning it into a mass produced family car with a little engine. The only thing uncooler than a PT Cruiser is a convertible PT Cruiser.

2.4L Turbo.

Want questionable? Just look up a football/soccer player's cars.

One had a gold plated Porsche

More so just added on to it. The van chassis is actually a Chevy 3/4-1 ton truck frame.

This is confusing.

That white van uses the same chassis as this:

2012-Chevrolet-Silverado-Work-Truck-front-view.jpg

All the did was add a few inches to the bottom of the van, lifted it, and added the fender flares on the back from that off a dually truck and then redid the front end.

That's not a modification. GMC sells (or sold) Topkick vans.

Motortrend (I think) wrote the article I got that image from. It was very much a custom vehicle.

gmc-topkick-08.jpg

^^That's a topkick. Not the same. Only thing I think can think of is they borrowed the front end and modified it for the van. Or molded a van body onto it's chassis.

I'm guessing that's the only one they have sold?

According to the owner, yes, actually. Most people looking for commercial-grade vehicles would rather just buy a regular normal truck/box van/ambulance that you can actually use that hugely overbuilt frame for, so I can't imagine they are common; but GMC would build one to whatever specs you wanted. That guy had it built so it was a fully loaded GMC Savana body put on a 5500 chassis instead of a 4 door truck, chassis cab or box van.

Motortrend (I think) wrote the article I got that image from. It was very much a custom vehicle.

gmc-topkick-08.jpg

^^That's a topkick. Not the same. Only thing I think can think of is they borrowed the front end and modified it for the van. Or molded a van body onto it's chassis.

That's a privately owned Topkick with a bunch of aftermarket stuff on it. This is a regular Topkick (or, more accurately, a GM 5500 chassis that the Topkick used when sold to private owners) as they are more typically seen:

New_Bedford_Medic_3_2011.jpg

2004GmcVan1.jpg

All that guy did was use the same drivetrain and frame as a GMC boxvan or ambulance, but had GM put the entire van body on it rather than just the front portion of one. And he probably paid a ton of money to get them to do it, too.

The important thing to keep in mind is that all upper level commercial chassis (let's say 3500 and up) are essentially the modern equivalent to coachbuilding, You can buy an F350 or Silverado HD3500 or whatever from your local dealer and let that be that; but more often than not what your buying at that bracket and up is the frame, engine and drivetrain, then telling GM/Ford/Dodge what you want put on it (or just taking it to a third party to have them do the work).

For a GM5500 chassis, you could get a flatbed:

EB16C807-A89A-473E-944D-E6B4F6B4CF6E_1.jpg

A bus:
3566-2006GMC5500-1.jpg

A dump truck:
2006_gmc_5500_1_lgw.jpg

An ambulance:

DSC_3688-X2.jpg

A 5th-wheel hauler:

WC4500-04.jpg

An RV:

004.JPG

A utility van:

2003-GMC_TopKick-Truck-Image-01.jpg

A pickup truck:

original.jpg

A... whatever the hell this is:

stan1.jpg

And an Obamamobile:

1024px-GPA02-09_US_SecretService_press_release_2009_Limousine_Page_3_Image.jpg

The frame is largely what you bought, and what you have put on it (and who you have put it on) is your choice from there.

The only one that is is the Obamamobile. It's kind of hard to modify something out of nothing; and unless you had GM put something on the body for you, nothing is what you got.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back