R.I.P Carroll Shelby.

• Thread starter gtuned
  • 116 comments
Kinda coincedental last night before I knew of this I was testing this car in GT5 ahead of a 60's Le Mans championship, here's the real thing pictured with Shelby.

Ford-Mark-IV-Carroll-Shelby.jpg

Thank you for all your magnificent, spine-cooling machines; for years of passion you shared with petrolheads around the world.
You will be sorely missed, good sir.
REST IN PEACE!
.:!Carrol Shelby!:.
1923-2012

Kinda coincedental last night before I knew of this I was testing this car in GT5 ahead of a 60's Le Mans championship, here's the real thing pictured with Shelby.

That's Tom Malloy's reproduction car made to the exact specification- Given away by the black wheels and the white FORD lettering on the side (should be black). 👍

Nevertheless, it's a awesome car. :)

EDIT: Actually it might be from when J7 was painted like that. :odd:

EDIT 2: Yes it is in fact J7, I believe (Andretti/Bianchi)- after it was rebuilt it was painted to look like J5 (with roof bubble). 👍

Last edited:
"I never thought about dying. The day you were born, it was already written down the day you're gonna check out. Now, I'm not gonna throw myself under a truck, but I'm not gonna worry about when I die. I'm ready to move on when that day comes."
- Carroll Shelby

MOTORTRENDmitch
"I never thought about dying. The day you were born, it was already written down the day you're gonna check out. Now, I'm not gonna throw myself under a truck, but I'm not gonna worry about when I die. I'm ready to move on when that day comes."
- Carroll Shelby

And he went fast till the day he died, great man, RIP.

Don't forget his personal, 800hp Cobra Super Snake that did 0-60 in just under 3 seconds 50 years ago (Dual supercharged 427 FE V8.). Sold for $5.5 Million.

1966-shelby-cobra-427-super-snake-1.jpg

1966-shelby-cobra-427-super-snake-3.jpg

1967-shelby-cobra-427-sup-2_460x0w.jpg

ShelbyCobraSupersnake427_540x338.jpg

1967-shelby-cobra-427-sup-1_1280x0w.jpg

Heard about it yesterday, extremely sad.
Rest in peace, I as a huge Ford and Cobra fan will miss you, one of the last few legends of the American car industry.

He should rest in a very noisy place, with tires squealing and exhaust pipes screaming. Perhaps the greatest of American automotive legends.

R.I.P. Carroll Shelby. You were a very inspirational man, and you will forever continue to be one.

IMO, Ford should release a special edition Mustang.. perhaps limited edition too, with maybe only 100 made, to honour Shelby.

R.I.P. Carroll Shelby. You were a very inspirational man, and you will forever continue to be one.

IMO, Ford should release a special edition Mustang.. perhaps limited edition too, with maybe only 100 made, to honour Shelby.

I said that a few times already. True though.

Was out of town when he died. Had a great time, then came home to this news... RIP man.

This must be really the year the world ends if we no longer have Carroll Shelby.

RIP Carroll, You'll be remembered by many and forgotten by none.

A Hero.

The only man I know who could take on Enzo. And win.

Will miss your real life talks and interviews, and will forever appreciate what you gave us.
Goodbye, Snake. Cry, cry.

Shelby Tribute room open. Stock Cobras no aids or ABS, at La Sarthe. Free Run and some races.

1472 6118 4259 7712 4142

Closed.

Last edited:
I knew that if I didn't check every page someone would've said that... happens everytime!

Well, great minds think alike, I guess?

Great minds think different. As was Mr. Carroll Shelby. Who would have thought of putting a massive firebreathing 427ci ford engine in an AC Ace which weighs about as much as a fiesta.

Great minds think different. As was Mr. Carroll Shelby. Who would have thought of putting a massive firebreathing 427ci ford engine in an AC Ace which weighs about as much as a fiesta.

It's the sort of thing you dream about, what would be a crazy idea?

A motorbike engine in a Mini? A Porsche engine in a Volkswagen Camper?

A huge thumping V8 in a small aluminium British sports car?? :nervous:

Difference is, he made it work.

It's sad that he's passed. I was lucky enough to have attended the Ford/Shelby Reunion in Pomona, California in April 2012. I took these pictures while there. I hope these pictures help show how great the man was.

6999694582_e9cecafe21.jpg

6999694640_cd56592789.jpg

6999693328_d54bd4b6f2.jpg

6999694276_d1a3679eba.jpg

Back