Race Collision Algorithm GT7

United States
United States
Curious what everyone thinks of this or if this has ever been thought of.

Why doesn't GT7 automatically activate ghost when a collision happens ahead while you're going 20+ mph faster?

It happens constantly, especially, in a room with bumper car drivers. It's almost as if you have to concede spots to avoid collisions.

Any one have an idea or thoughts on this?

Curious what everyone thinks of this or if this has ever been thought of.

Why doesn't GT7 automatically activate ghost when a collision happens ahead while you're going 20+ mph faster?

It happens constantly, especially, in a room with bumper car drivers. It's almost as if you have to concede spots to avoid collisions.

Any one have an idea or thoughts on this?
Yes, if we all know that cars WILL ghost then we would all continue driving our line like there is no car in front of us to hit us making the whole concept of ghosting unfair...

Lengthy explanation but I'll shorten it... you should be aware when coming out the pits the car goes into ghost mode for a few seconds. I'm asking... when cars in an accident, SPIN OUT, and get back on track in front of other racesrs... why doesn't the game initiate ghost?

Sometimes there's no way thru and you end up hitting those slower wrecked cars. If you don't stop in time, you'll wreck and/or get penalized. Better?

Yes, if we all know that cars WILL ghost then we would all continue driving our line like there is no car in front of us to hit us making the whole concept of ghosting unfair...
Well that's not entirely true. When it's on purpose right in front of you the cars in the accident cause the approaching racers to get involved. Causing more wrecks to the clean drivers and penalties. If cars are going WAAAAYYYY slower... 20+ mph slower... not 5 or 6 but 20+ slower, why not initiate ghost so the trailing racers can pass thru cleanly?

Lengthy explanation but I'll shorten it... you should be aware when coming out the pits the car goes into ghost mode for a few seconds. I'm asking... when cars in an accident, SPIN OUT, and get back on track in front of other racesrs... why doesn't the game initiate ghost?

Sometimes there's no way thru and you end up hitting those slower wrecked cars. If you don't stop in time, you'll wreck and/or get penalized. Better?
I think I get what you mean now. No collision, literally driving through the other cars, correct? I think I've seen this in other games. Nah, not my cup of tea, sorry. I'm all for realism and you just can't drive through other cars IRL.

Largely because it would turn pretty much all racing into a joke where people hotlap rather than racing each other. Crashes and incidents are part of racing:

It's also an entirely arbitrary number that you've chosen.

Largely because it would turn pretty much all racing into a joke where people hotlap rather than racing each other. Crashes and incidents are part of racing:

It's also an entirely arbitrary number that

I'm well aware crashes are going to happen. And it's certainly not arbitrary. It's a very distinguishable difference that would warrant ghost. The objective is to reduce deliberate accidents affecting trailing racers with clean lines. It doesn't necessarily mean it will result in hot laps. I'm a bit surprised how reluctant this group is to the idea. It's simulated racing, it's not actual racing.

And it's certainly not arbitrary. It's a very distinguishable difference that would warrant ghost.
Why is +19mph not enough? Why not 30km/h (18.6mph)?

That's why it's arbitrary; it's a number you've selected based on what feels right (and is nice and round, in your preferred measuring system).

Ghosting is antithetical to racing.

I'm a bit surprised how reluctant this group is to the idea. It's simulated racing, it's not actual racing.
Just to be clear, this has been discussed many times before, and yes "reluctant" is a reasonable description, because...

As mentioned already, some players are totally into realism, and want a real world experience. You say "it's simulated racing" but what is the purpose of simulating a real world activity if you break the rules of physics?

Now, to balance the discussion... There are also many players (perhaps not represented euqually on this forum) who just want to play a GAME. In this case, your ghosting suggestion is entirely reasonable. So much so that you will notice that in the Daily A races (which typically feature slower cars and no impact on your DR/SR) the ghosting is strong, and often avoids the catastrophic escalation of crashes... Conversely in World Final events, ghosting is usually turned off completely.

Essentially it comes down to how YOU want to play... Is it a game, or a sim? Are you a "professional sim racer" (cough cough) or a car enthusiast who prefers to spend a few hundred dollars on a PlayStation rather than many thousands on a real world racing car? Are you racing in VR and want full realism, or are you happy with a controller and flat screen TV?

Depending how a person answers the above questions, will probably correlate with their opinion on ghosting.

Regarding the "algorithm" itself, have you considered the difficulty in allowing for internet lag? There are times when cars glitch into new locations, effectively at infinite speed. An accurate calculation of momentum might be more difficult than you think, if you consider the internet challenges.

Last edited:
I would prefer no ghosting but initiate heavy damage to cars so they need to pit to fix their car. It would force drivers to slow down, to respect racing lines, to respect braking zones, to stop dive bombing and stop revenge racing. If your car is going to experience heavy damage due to a collision I would think most people would do their very best to not have contact with each other.

Last edited:
I would prefer no ghosting but initiate heavy damage to cars so they need to pit to fix their car. It would force drivers to slow down, to respect racing lines, to respect braking zones, to stop dive bombing and stop revenge racing. If your car is going to experience heavy damage due to a collision I would think most people would do their very best to not have contact with each other.
Agreed. It's already not realistic. Career or life ending crashes result in drivers rejoining the race having lost 20 seconds, or at worst being fit and ready for the next heat. Frankly, I wouldn't want a realistic experience of a multicar pileup on the main straight anyway.

I think the ghosting of all cars involved in the initial collision so that those arriving on the scene after the fact aren't also taken out is a good idea, as long as it's an option that can be turned off by those who don't want it. It's a game. More choices to suit more players isn't a bad thing.

I also think all those suggesting drivers wil be hotlapping may have missed the point. If I understand the OP correctly you'd still crash into another car if you tried to drive through it, unless that other car was already busy playing out it's own crash and was spinning across the track in front of you or something.

Just to be clear, this has been discussed many times before, and yes "reluctant" is a reasonable description, because...

As mentioned already, some players are totally into realism, and want a real world experience. You say "it's simulated racing" but what is the purpose of simulating a real world activity if you break the rules of physics?

Now, to balance the discussion... There are also many players (perhaps not represented euqually on this forum) who just want to play a GAME. In this case, your ghosting suggestion is entirely reasonable. So much so that you will notice that in the Daily A races (which typically feature slower cars and no impact on your DR/SR) the ghosting is strong, and often avoids the catastrophic escalation of crashes... Conversely in World Final events, ghosting is usually turned off completely.

Essentially it comes down to how YOU want to play... Is it a game, or a sim? Are you a "professional sim racer" (cough cough) or a car enthusiast who prefers to spend a few hundred dollars on a PlayStation rather than many thousands on a real world racing car? Are you racing in VR and want full realism, or are you happy with a controller and flat screen TV?

Depending how a person answers the above questions, will probably correlate with their opinion on ghosting.

Regarding the "algorithm" itself, have you considered the difficulty in allowing for internet lag? There are times when cars glitch into new locations, effectively at infinite speed. An accurate calculation of momentum might be more difficult than you think, if you consider the internet challenges.
You have a valid and interesting points, I wont argue. But the "real" is very much uncontrolled chaos. We depend on AI system to regulate malicious driving. But I simply think it's inadequate to fully experience "real" more frequently. And enjoy it simultaneously. Personally, I think it could use improvement

That's not a terrible concept, but what happens when malicious drivers intentionally cause wrecks. Does that mean I have to pit as a result? Some intentional accident are not suddenly avoidable. I know that sounds like that's what racing is, but I'm sure you've experienced unavoidable incidents that could have been avoided had someone not intentionally wrecked the race.

I think I get what you mean now. No collision, literally driving through the other cars, correct? I think I've seen this in other games. Nah, not my cup of tea, sorry. I'm all for realism and you just can't drive through other cars IRL.
Not entirely no collisions. Just those that occur so suddenly from accidental or intentional, so as you approach from behind you're not involved in that incident. If that makes more sense

Agreed. It's already not realistic. Career or life ending crashes result in drivers rejoining the race having lost 20 seconds, or at worst being fit and ready for the next heat. Frankly, I wouldn't want a realistic experience of a multicar pileup on the main straight anyway.

I think the ghosting of all cars involved in the initial collision so that those arriving on the scene after the fact aren't also taken out is a good idea, as long as it's an option that can be turned off by those who don't want it. It's a game. More choices to suit more players isn't a bad thing.

I also think all those suggesting drivers wil be hotlapping may have missed the point. If I understand the OP correctly you'd still crash into another car if you tried to drive through it, unless that other car was already busy playing out it's own crash and was spinning across the track in front of you or something.
Kiseca, that's precisely what I meant. At least I know someone understood where I was going with it lol

Why is +19mph not enough? Why not 30km/h (18.6mph)?

That's why it's arbitrary; it's a number you've selected based on what feels right (and is nice and round, in your preferred measuring system).

Ghosting is antithetical to racing.
Pit speed is arbitrary, but it's selected as an appropriate safe speed. It's not 47 or 53. It's a divisible number deemed appropriate. I mathematically selected 20 as it will exceed for most vehicles ability to gain track speed within an alloted time and distance. This is where the algorithm would come in and calculate the distance from Object A to Object B (the cars) and determine whether the approaching car is exceeding 20mph will make contact to Object B before getting up to track speed in time.

Pit speed is arbitrary
For the most part, yes.

However, the reason that the pitlane speed is chosen in the real world is to do with time and energy: it increases the time that the unprotected people in the pitlane have to see and react to vehicles, as well as giving drivers more time to decelerate safely and to see and react to vehicles emerging from pit boxes, and reduces the amount of energy in case of any incident to levels that are survivable for anyone caught up in one.

There is little reason the limit couldn't be 1km/h, 2km/h, 5km/h or any other number less, but the reason for it being approximately where it is comes down to moving observation and reaction times into a normal human window and reducing energy of incidents.

As with so many other regulations being written with blood, motorsport generally had no pit lane speed limit until a fatal accident in the 1993 Spanish Grand Prix (for FIM Road Racing) when rider Nobuyuki Wakai hit a spectator who was wandering in the pit lane unauthorised. F1 didn't have an in-race speed limit until the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix - more infamous for other incidents - after Michele Alboreto's Minardi shed a rear wheel exiting the pits and it hit four mechanics causing serious injuries.

Turns out that 80km/h loose wheels hurt less and are easier to see and avoid than 180km/h loose wheels.

I mathematically selected 20 as it will exceed for most vehicles ability to gain track speed within an alloted time and distance. This is where the algorithm would come in and calculate the distance from Object A to Object B (the cars) and determine whether the approaching car is exceeding 20mph will make contact to Object B before getting up to track speed in time.
Two cars on the same piece of track can easily exceed a 20mph differential, depending on the type of car. Certainly a GT3 car braking half a second later than the car in front will do so, and that wrecks any possibility of defensive driving as the car behind you can simply brake half a second later and ghost right through you.

For the most part, yes.

However, the reason that the pitlane speed is chosen in the real world is to do with time and energy: it increases the time that the unprotected people in the pitlane have to see and react to vehicles, as well as giving drivers more time to decelerate safely and to see and react to vehicles emerging from pit boxes, and reduces the amount of energy in case of any incident to levels that are survivable for anyone caught up in one.

There is little reason the limit couldn't be 1km/h, 2km/h, 5km/h or any other number less, but the reason for it being approximately where it is comes down to moving observation and reaction times into a normal human window and reducing energy of incidents.

As with so many other regulations being written with blood, motorsport generally had no pit lane speed limit until a fatal accident in the 1993 Spanish Grand Prix (for FIM Road Racing) when rider Nobuyuki Wakai hit a spectator who was wandering in the pit lane unauthorised. F1 didn't have an in-race speed limit until the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix - more infamous for other incidents - after Michele Alboreto's Minardi shed a rear wheel exiting the pits and it hit four mechanics causing serious injuries.

Turns out that 80km/h lose wheels hurt less and are easier to see and avoid than 180km/h lose wheels.

Two cars on the same piece of track can easily exceed a 20mph differential, depending on the type of car. Certainly a GT3 car braking half a second later than the car in front will do so, and that wrecks any possibility of defensive driving as the car behind you can simply brake half a second later and ghost right through you.
I appreciate the conversation, great discussion, but we're missing the bigger picture here. It's not entirely a level playing field as far as driver experience and driver intent. Usually online races are generally equal configurations and ratios. Yes, I agree with the assessment of pitlane speed. However, when there's equal classes on the track you're generally not going to experience speed differences of 20+mph, unless: accidents, spin outs, or just a horrendous driver. So what can the game do to facilitate those deliberate and sudden changes of pace where brake is nearly impractical and without causing a clean driver to suffer consequences?

Many times I've tried avoiding this incidents under heavy braking and would get penalized heavily plus damage. Not going to be a perfect system, but I think it could use improvement.

That's not a terrible concept, but what happens when malicious drivers intentionally cause wrecks. Does that mean I have to pit as a result? Some intentional accident are not suddenly avoidable. I know that sounds like that's what racing is, but I'm sure you've experienced unavoidable incidents that could have been avoided had someone not intentionally wrecked the race.
But that’s racing. There are countless examples of real races where an accident between 2 cars can take out another 3 or 4, or a whole field, because it happened in front of them. At least with my concept to race isn’t over for you. You would have to pit and get your car fixed. Maybe a safety car comes out for 2 minutes so all cars have a chance to get around the track and pit. Hey, the safety cars could actually have a use in the game!

This, of course, wouldn’t have to happen every time an accident occurs. If just two guys/girls get in to an accident with each other but the race is otherwise unaffected, bring out the yellow flags until they get back on track. Keep penalties for passing under yellow on.

The objective would be to make crashing and hitting each other something you never want to do. Increase the safety rating penalty so unsafe drivers get booted to a lower league.

The lower leagues could have ghosting instead of the heavy damage so it’s not so impossible to move up in your driver rating when it’s a demolition derby in the C/D/E tiers.

Last edited:
But that’s racing. There are countless examples of real races where an accident between 2 cars can take out another 3 or 4, or a whole field, because it happened in front of them. At least with my concept to race isn’t over for you. You would have to pit and get your car fixed. Maybe a safety car comes out for 2 minutes so all cars have a chance to get around the track and pit. Hey, the safety cars could actually have a use in the game!

This, of course, wouldn’t have to happen every time an accident occurs. If just two guys/girls get in to an accident with each other but the race is otherwise unaffected, bring out the yellow flags until they get back on track. Keep penalties for passing under yellow on.

The objective would be to make crashing and hitting each other something you never want to do. Increase the safety rating penalty so unsafe drivers get booted to a lower league.

The lower leagues could have ghosting instead of the heavy damage so it’s not so impossible to move up in your driver rating when it’s a demolition derby in the C/D/E tiers.
I think we agree on the penalties and finding ways to facilitate lowering accidents. However, this is still simulated racing for recreational entertainment so I don't believe safety cars are practical.

There is Do Not Pass yellow flags, but even when avoiding collisions you can still be penalized in game.

The idea for lower leagues is a great idea, but I see high experienced races still have deliberate wrecks happen. I'm curious how the software can improve so it doesn't penalize drivers for accidental collisions on drivers not originally involved. More so directed at intentional accidents. That's my intent to this discussion for ghost.

Cheers to the ideas and discussion

I'd think it would be possible for the software to detect with a useful degree of accuracy when a player is deliberately trying to crash into another player, and then ghost them when the predicted collision becomes inevitable... thereafter applying some kind of penalty to them to discourage players from developing race winning ghosting opportunities.

There are some obvious clues, like steering towards another car instead of on the racing line, missing a braking point by miles, straightlining and cutting chicanes when there's a car on the other side, going the wrong way around the track, parking in a run-off area and then suddenly accelerating when another car comes into view...

Have a system that measures all that and then when it becomes clear that a contact predicted by the clues is definitely about to happen, ghost the car and penalize it. won't catch all of them but could probably reduce the number of victims by a worthwhile amount.

Back