Rain driving help!F1 2010-2016 

• Thread starter Jerwin
  • 6 comments
United States
San Diego, CA
Jerweewee
I drive with no assists on and professional AI. They seem kind of slow on the dry but when it rains, I can barely keep up with them! Any setup suggestions? I always seem to spin whenever I accelerate out of a corner. I'm not looking for specific setups but some general tips on how to stop that back end from coming loose.

I also try to accelerate very softly on corners, but the rest of the cars behind me start catching up. If I push the pedal down harder, I could almost guarantee that I would spin and lose the race. And also, how do I choose between Intermediate and Wet tires?

Okay. Firstly, if you don't want specific set-ups, make sure you have lots of downforce on, and don't put the rideheight too low. I may suggest having longer first gears and shorter end gears, as this should help with wheel spin. But, if i may add, having a set up for the conditions and track make soooooo much difference. Check French Raceworks setups for some great set-ups. I agree with you, the AI is a lot different in the wet. Maybe turn them down to intermediate if you're having trouble. Now on the tyres, if the track is soaked, the wet tyres will be needed, inters if the track is wet but without too much standing water. But just check the AI's tyres if your having too much trouble.

French Raceworks has some nice setups 👍 The reason why I don't want specific setups is because I want to learn a bit of tuning myself. Another question: After a few laps on the rain, there seems to be tire marks on the racing line. Is that part of the track wet or dry?

The AI were way too fast (alien fast) in the wet pre patch 1.02. They were slowed down for 1.02 but they are still too fast.
If it starts raining in practice, i give up as they are a few seconds a lap faster and i`m on the limit, so i park it out of frustration!
Webber is the race rainmeister in this game, my crew cheif is always telling me "webber has set the fastest lap" during races and he is out in front by miles.

I think it's because the AI use traction control. In the dry, TC isn't too much of an advantage. In the wet, the AI bots can be just as close to the limit as they do in the dry, while any human not using TC has to be very careful. Also, it might be that there setups are designed to work well in the wet, slowing them slightly in the dry.

As for setup tips, this is what I would do.
- With the exception of Monza, I'd recommend running 11 rear wing, 9-11 front wing. 9 is more stable, but 11 is faster is you can handle it (personally I always use 11, but it can also vary by car/driving style).
- Slide the springs 2-3 to the left, raise ride height to 2 front 2 rear.
- Slide rear toe 1-4 to the left, slide front toe 0-3 to the left. The more you slide it the more stable it'll be, but that doesn't mean it'll be faster.
- Camber, don't change. If your using French Raceworks setups the cambers are probably already good.
- Gear-ratios. Adjust 7th for top-speed, adjust lower gears based on traction. If you're struggling to power out of a 1st gear corner without spinning, raise the gear ratio, keep raising it until you're able to go near flat in standard fuel mix. Do the same for all other gears where you're struggling for traction. Make the rest of them angle so that it should look something like a slash mark / / / / /
- Brakes, you'll probably want the brakes to have less pressure, with more pressure on the front then on the back. Don't adjust the bias too much, probably just 2-5%.
- Roll-bars, I'm not sure. I just leave them the same, because I don't know how to adjust them properly.

I think that's all the settings. The gear-ratios are probably the most important of all the tuning. It's one of those things where the wrong settings can either cost you a lot of laptime, or cause you to spin too easily. It's not an advantage to have good gear-ratios, it's more a disadvantage to have bad gear ratios, and learning how to get good ratios for all conditions can be tricky. Then you've got to learn how to make great gear ratios, and that's annoyingly difficult in this game.

Anyway, hope this helps and makes sense :)

Thanks for the tips! I dominated the first season on professional AI:sly: Changed the difficulty on expert and I did well on Melbourne in the second season. Qualifying was wet and I was ahead by less than 0.010 seconds!

It looks like I might dominate again in the second season. Rain won't be a big problem anymore :cool:

Back