Rally of Monaco

• Thread starter vat_man
  • 15 comments

vat_man

Staff Emeritus
Okay, kids, we're on our way. Summary from Autosport.com
-----------------------------------------------------------
World Rally hotshoe Sebastien Loeb was an unlikely, but very worthy leader at the end of the first Leg of the Monte Carlo Rally, with the young Swede's Citroen more than half a minute ahead of Subaru's Tommi Makinen in second place.

Loeb set convincing fastest stage times on the final two stages of the day and the reigning Super 1600 champion managed to pull out an impressive 17 seconds over the second fastest man Peugeot's Gilles Panizzi on the Leg's closing stage Puget-Toudon.

Despite a strong finish, the day did not start nearly so well for the PSA marques. Citroen lost both Thomas Radstrom and Philippe Bugalski due to engine blow-ups on their way to SS1, while Panizzi incurred a 130-second penalty for leaving a service area late before the first stage had even started.

However, the Frenchman did an admirable job to work his way back up to 14th overall by the end of the day.

Early leader Carlos Sainz was passed by his Ford team mate Colin McRae as last year's world championship runner-up got into his stride. Despite the Scot stalling on the start line of SS3, he finished the day in third spot.

Sainz struggled with a lack of power steering in his Focus WRC on the final stage of the day, but managed to move up to fifth by the close ahead of Petter Solberg's Subaru.

"It's always quicker for me on the second run through a stage as I can check my pacenotes," said Solberg. "It's a shame we didn't have one more run through the long stage [SS4 Sisteron-Thorad] because I think I could have been close to Loeb."

Marcus Gronholm was the highest-placed Peugeot driver in fourth sport and the 2000 world champion had the first moral victory over his new team mate and last year's title winner Richard Burns by finishing three places ahead.

Burns admitted before the event that he would be taking a softly, softly approach, but that didn't stop the Brit having a scary moment on SS1 when his 206 WRC ended up in a field. He only lost around 15seconds as he got back on the road, but finished the day a distant seventh.

Four runs over the famous Col de Turini await the drivers on Saturday and all eyes will be on Loeb, both to see if he can maintain his blistering pace and also to see if his Xsara T4 holds out. The young Frenchman had engine problems during Thursday's shakedown and with Radstrom and Bugalski retiring early, there will be several sets of fingers crossed in the Citroen camp.

Makinen has won the Monte three times before and cannot be discounted -neither can the weather. A tense battle awaits...

I watched the show last night on UK TV, and it was fantastic to see rallying again! :)

I was particularly interested to see how the drivers who had moved were coping with their team switches. I thought that Makinen was handling the Subaru quite well, but that Burns was really uncomfortable in the Peugeot. They showed him and McRae on a split-screen, over about a ten-second shot, and McRae was much more flowing, and about a second quicker.

Freddy Loix's shunt was a monster, and the car looked awful after it - I'm glad he's not too hurt.

World Rallying's back. Super smashing lovely! :D

Jeeze those cars a quicker than ever!

So many team switching. I hope Tommi M does well!

Stupid Richard Burns switched!! Damn you :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Didn't know there was controversy, the news said Loeb had it.

Having avaoided the utter ****e that was C4's coverage I've waited for eurosport which is on soon.

The controversy is that loeb switched tires the night before one of the stages and you are not allowed to that. They (loeb) apealed and the penalty was suspended, which was a 2 minute penalty. He will still be in second with the 2 min penalty. They are taking it to FIA court and will decide then but i can't see him keeping the win, he broke the rules so he has to lose. That puts good ole tommi in the record books, i think for 24 won rally's and 5 wins and monte. Sainz was up for the record of 24 wins as well (ithink) but he gets a third place. Burns was kinda slow but he will do better in sweden he learned alot of driving in the new car. He did seem kinda nervous though. I still can't believe the crash with the scoda, that pole saved them. Wonderful to have WRC back

xxintegra94xx

Until, there were 4 drivers on 23. McRae, Sainz, Makkinen, Kankkunen.

Makkinen has just become undisputed master of ALL!

Back