Rest In Noise, Fred Phelps

• Thread starter Pupik
  • 45 comments
My only regret about this is that we never found out if he was just the greatest example of Poe's Law.

The only source for that is his son Nathan, who was himself excommunicated when he left the group. The WBC themselves refuse to confirm or deny it.

I genuinely think Nate is a more reliable source than a hate-preaching church. After all, despite the horrible treatment he got as a kid, he doesn't exactly seem to be the bitter type that would spread lies about his family.

If anyone tries to picket his funeral it probably won't be very successful as they'll be bound the same anti-picketing laws made for the people they're picketing...

It's often considered bad taste to suggest you're glad to see someone is dead. But given his "contribution" to society, I'm thoroughly glad the bugger's dead

I try to spend my rare moments of bad taste wisely...

I genuinely think Nate is a more reliable source than a hate-preaching church. After all, despite the horrible treatment he got as a kid, he doesn't exactly seem to be the bitter type that would spread lies about his family.
Perhaps, but excommunication means the the group has completely cut off any form of contact with the person who is excommunicated.

Given that Phelps founded the church, led the church, was the public face of the church, and had a cult of personality within the church, it is highly unlikely that he could be excommunicated. And if he was excommunicated, the church would not bother to comment on it - as far as they would have been concerned, he was already dead.

I hope nobody pickets/protests his funeral... that would mean he got his "message" across and was successful in doing so. In fact, I hope not a single person shows up. Not even the Pastor.

I hope nobody pickets/protests his funeral... that would mean he got his "message" across and was successful in doing so. In fact, I hope not a single person shows up. Not even the Pastor.

It's best really to just ignore them. Protesting his funeral gives them the attention they want, and makes the protesters look no better than him.

Although having just read the articles it said their won't be a funeral anyway.

Although having just read the articles it said their won't be a funeral anyway.

Yes, he'll just rise up after three days of media noise and sit at the left hand of the Father.

i9Ao8LA.jpg

If she realizes the harm that she caused, why couldn't she have stopped in the first place?

If she realizes the harm that she caused, why couldn't she have stopped in the first place?
She left the church a long time ago. And what difference can one person make honestly? Especially when you're dealing with a group as extreme as the WBC.

Wasn't/ Didn't she excommunicate from the church a while ago?

Edit: Tree'd.

Edit 2: Also, is it me, or has there been more "coverage" of The Reverend's death on the internet vs. mainstream media?

She left the church a long time ago. And what difference can one person make honestly? Especially when you're dealing with a group as extreme as the WBC.

I wasn't aware that she had left.

One person can make a huge difference, by the way. Even if they aren't siding with the WBC members. Changing your ways from a disgusting and hateful person to a kind and peaceful person can make a huge difference on someone else's life. One example would be a young, impressionable, and severely bullied homosexual taking their life because of the horrible things they hear these people say. A person breaking away from a horrible group to be nicer to people can prevent these suicides. The smaller the number of hateful people, the better this world becomes. Sorry for going off on a little tangent, but I just felt like I had to say something about that.

I wasn't aware that she had left.

One person can make a huge difference, by the way. Even if they aren't siding with the WBC members. Changing your ways from a disgusting and hateful person to a kind and peaceful person can make a huge difference on someone else's life. One example would be a young, impressionable, and severely bullied homosexual taking their life because of the horrible things they hear these people say. A person breaking away from a horrible group to be nicer to people can prevent these suicides. The smaller the number of hateful people, the better this world becomes. Sorry for going off on a little tangent, but I just felt like I had to say something about that.
I was talking more in terms of what difference can be made to the views of the church members by one person.

Also, is it me, or has there been more "coverage" of The Reverend's death on the internet vs. mainstream media?

I think this is the best revenge.

Why acknowledge the man exists or has ever existed?

I have not commented on a single Facebook post regarding his life or death. Nor have I commented on his death elsewhere, besides now.

And, Dog willing, I will never comment on it, again.

Last edited:
Personally I'm happier with Westboro's message being "out there" providing that it doesn't breach the peace.

We should discuss and debate the message and acknowledge that he passed. And smile a bit, if we like :)

Last edited:
Back