RKM Motorsport - Tuned Tuners - May '13

Hope to see you back in action soon. Looks like you'll have some catching up to do with all the tunes Roj has been releasing lately. :dopey:

Hope to see you back in action soon. Looks like you'll have some catching up to do with all the tunes Roj has been releasing lately. :dopey:

PFFFFFT. PFFFFFFFFFFT. PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT.

I was behind before my PS3 went down. What makes you think I plan to catch up? :lol:

So... "4 hours, 19 minutes" remaining on PS3 reformat. I am having SO MUCH FUN.

VTiRoj
Seeing as PSN is down, I'm unable to finish any current requests I have going until it's back up. Also I cant accept any more requests until PSN is back up, so please hold off requesting anything for the time being. :)

I'll reply to anything that needs replying later on, I just got Heavy Rain and I've been having so much fun with it all day. :lol:

I played Heavy Rain and it us awesome...but the question is can u find all 27 endings...got my platinum :)

Well, at least the argument is over now. I was being bias and I got a spanking for it (which I sort of deserved) so I apologise for that. Anyways, if I were to be jealous of someone owning a car, it wouldn't be that guy with the GTR, but my neighbor who has a NSX that looks remarkably like Roj's NSX (red, pretty much same wheels, carbon bonnet and wing, just the older version of the NSX). Btw, Roj, how about tuning the older Acura NSX (RM or not, you choose).
'pology accepted. I tuned the Acura NSX non-RM but it's hardly up to speed. Since it has a 5 speed gearbox and skinny rear tyres, it's not got the acceleration or the grip to really be that fast.
By the way, FishyJuice got the 2000th post, won't you give him a little treat? :dopey:
That's true, okay, here it is! :D

aquarium-fish-food-king-british-fish-treats-1.jpg

I kid, I kid. I'll think of something. :P
PFFFFFT. PFFFFFFFFFFT. PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT.

I was behind before my PS3 went down. What makes you think I plan to catch up? :lol:

So... "4 hours, 19 minutes" remaining on PS3 reformat. I am having SO MUCH FUN.
You will always remain behind me. Mwahahahaha. :D Get your PS3 undinked already. :P
I played Heavy Rain and it us awesome...but the question is can u find all 27 endings...got my platinum :)

I dont want to find them all. I cant bare to kill Madison and I love making Ethan suffer. :lol: Yeah I play this game the wrong way. :P Finished one playthrough of it now, so I'll start a second and make different choices. ;)

Review of sorts of the Takata NSX Tune

I have been using the Rome street course for some testing on my lower powered racing cars. I wanted to get some testing done before they turned the place back into the tourist mecca swollen with pedestrians and gawkers along the city streets.

I had just completed a few laps in my Raybrig NSX. The crew had detuned it to a paltry 542hp to see how it behaved. We were turning mid 1:02's with an occasional low 1:02 with the car. I thought this was a respectable lap time, but my mechanic insisted we could do much better. He knew the tuner of the Takata NSX and claimed their setup would work fine on our Raybrig. We loaded the Takata's set up on the beast and off I went out of the pits.

Did you know the first left-hander and right hand complex of turns actually go around the Coliseum? I had never noticed before because of the speeds carried through these turns. However, on this occasion, as soon as I tapped the brake entering the right-hander, I found myself looking straight at the walls of the place where so many brave and not so brave men battled against each other for the glory of Caesar. The car slid sideways down the straight and as the Coliseum slowly disappeared off to my right I found myself staring down the apex of the right-hander and took the opportunity to punch the gas and go for it.

Several donuts later, I managed to regain control of the car and proceeded, gingerly, to the left hand sweeper. Uneventually, I came upon the sharp 120-degree right hand corner where my uneventfulness lull came to an abrupt end!

Again, I found myself staring at the wall as I made my turn in. This time I was not able to keep the car from banging head first into the barrier and came to an abrupt halt! For those interested, not much of interest on the other side of this wall, save for some maintenance vehicles and such. Not sure if they are for track upkeep or part of the Coliseum maintenance fleet.

I backed the car off the wall, gently, ever so gently, applied throttle and proceeded around the rest of the course back to the pits.

Upon arriving my mechanic asked how it went as I was pouring the sweat out of my helmet. I replied, "It went well, if you like carnival rides! If you like racing, it was not my ideal lap." "Well maybe we could do a few tweaks and you could take it out again,” he said. "I wouldn't put that setup on my kids pedal car" I replied. "Put our setup back on the car, we need to get some practice in"

So ended my first experience with trying out my first tune from a tuner shop. Granted it was a tune put up for the public, but I just can't believe it drove so badly. I went back and looked at the tune and wondered why a tuner would basically take away a car's suspension? A rebound of 10 basically locks the springs in the compressed state they are in when the weight of the car is applied to them. If any compression were to take place (highly unlikely with a compression of 9) the setting wouldn't allow them to rebound if they ever were able to absorb any bump. The only thing I think could make it worse is putting solid steel tires on the car.

Why bother putting the sway bars at such a low level? The car won't roll anyway and you could set the bars at zero and it still wouldn't roll.

The brake bias is set too far to the rear for an MR, especially considering the LSD setting of 6 on the decel. The car is begging you to let off the gas or touch the brake pedal so it can show you how fast it can swap ends.

The springs seem way to heavy and do not allow any weight shifting to occur which compounds the problems in the other areas.

To quote from the tuner:

"It's extremely fast and absolutely will teach you a thing or two about driving. It's also maddeningly twitchy and feels like it wants to kill you at first."

That's true to a point. It’s maddeningly twitchy and feels like it wants to kill you. Period! With this setup it won't even pretend to be a racecar. It will let you know it is a cold-blooded killer from the second you strap yourself in.

Completely missed this amidst all the R35 SO LEET vs R35 SUXORZ crap.

Try it on a Takata, I've never guaranteed it to work on the Raybrig. I've said it should work, but not that it will.

That said, your review is a bit inconsistent to what others have noted.

As for your whining about the way it's set up... Well...

It's actually pretty soft next to real-world race cars (FIA GT cars run 1-2000lb/in spring rates, a spring rate of 20.0kg/mm is 1120lb/in), shocks were actually done at the Ring and lower settings were tried but caused the car to skip, bounce, and hop over bumps. Sways are the same deal, the spring rates are perfectly sufficient for controlling body roll so strong sways are not needed (and, indeed, would make it far worse over bumps). If I could set them to 0, I would've.

Anyway, I'm going to say that you need to learn to left foot brake a bit. It's something I learned to do entering that corner quite a while ago (though I've done a maximum of 50 laps at Rome total, meh) amongst others and does wonders to keep the rear of a tailhappy car in check under braking. The Takata is set up to make the driver choose how it handles... It can do a reasonable imitation of a D1GP car if you want or remain perfectly stable... All depends on how you use your right foot. Sorry yours isn't trained (someone didn't bother with IC10 I see).

@Mafs: No comment, all I did was the main post and thread title.

Edit: Just realized that ConRollins here posted the above twice. On the same page. And they're his only posts.

Last edited:
@Mafs: No comment, all I did was the main post and thread title.

I know mate, you wouldn't be that out of your head to think of making a tune like this RJ. :P I blame Roj and his college lifestyle.....experimenting different things there has transferred to his car tuning by experimenting with such abominations. :sly:

Released on April 20th yeah, but tuned April 19th. :P

Nope, don't believe you catface. :P You went for 420 at college, came home maggoted and thought, "A Prius GT-R, what a brilliant idea!!". :D There is no other explanation, a sober person WILL NOT bother tuning that abomination. :P

Nope, don't believe you catface. :P You went for 420 at college, came home maggoted and thought, "A Prius GT-R, what a brilliant idea!!". :D There is no other explanation, a sober person WILL NOT bother tuning that abomination. :P

It's Easter break, no college. :P Drug test me, I dare ye. :P

It's Easter break, no college. :P Drug test me, I dare ye. :P

Too easy to buy synthetic urine online to bypass the test and swab tests are absolutely useless. It will have to be blood for you, drawn through a 3mm needle!! :mischievous:

NSX LM Road Car Review
Painted in Matte Black :drool:

A 1,230kg car with 669 fire-breathing horses behind the rear seat might sound like the love child of a Veyron and a Midget, but RKM has turned a sleeper (relatively speaking) into a serial killer. A 10,300rpm redline makes sure you enjoy the greatest of soundtracks while brutalizing GT300 cars as if they were puny old 2CVs. Six different weapons of choice (Six speed transmission). The first one, and my personal favorite, provides 80kph of smile-inducing driving. The last one, my second personal favorite, provides 330kph of top end cruising. What's not to like? I know the answer. Nothing.

What happens when that speedometer needs to go back down? You step on the brakes. And I mean stomp, mash - whatever verb that applies - the brake pedal. I tried my hardest to induce oversteer during hard braking. I failed, hard. This beastly beauty scrubs speed better than any road car I've driven and without the tail starting a revolution.

SuzukaCircuit.jpg

Can you see the nose dive?!?!? Yeah, I can't either.

And then came the corners. At first I was like I'm Amused [S2000 GT1 Turbo], but then I was like Honda! Where is this car's playground? Nurburgring, of course. In true troll fashion, the NSX is able to overtake on the outside several dozen kph faster than the competition. Corners I would take at 110kph tops... the NSX comes along and takes them at almost 130kph. It even likes to turn in under hard braking! Granted, it's not the same kind of awesome turn-in, but definitely better than any other car I've ever turned in under hard braking. Turn-in under no braking is as smooth as (not even like a hot knife through butter) nothing I've ever come across. It's just
that amazing. And I gotta say, losing control of this car is as hard as losing a race in an X2010. Against AI. In Fiat 500s. I mean, losing control is possible, but it's not like a quick dose oppo (Jalopnik!) won't straighten the car back up, hauling ass towards the next corner.

NrburgringNordschleife_3.jpg

They see me trollin', they hatin'...

And after the corners came the straights. When you have a car that accelerates so hard, yet so smoothly at 250kph, you can't help but wonder what the competition wasn't thinking. It already laughs at them in the corners, and to top it all off it does so on the straights too... Top speed at around 340kph with draft ensures the poor 458 will not be very Amused either. Speeds reached in every gear are amazing, like almost 300 in 4th. That's high. At least to me it is. Just saying.

And lastly, looks. That awesome body kit will immediately let everyone know this car means seriously serious business. That moderate-looking spoiler is obviously meant to deceive those who ridicule it, because they surely won't be laughing when they get their charcoal'd asses handed to them on a silver platter after a couple of laps in any track. That moderate-looking (yeah, right...) air intake scoop above the driver should, by itself, let everyone know in exactly what way you will lose this very day.

SuzukaCircuit_1.jpg

Brb, taking a corner while looking awesome.

And then you drive home after another awesome day of work. Still making fun of VTEC? Come on, I dare you.

Too easy to buy synthetic urine online to bypass the test and swab tests are absolutely useless. It will have to be blood for you, drawn through a 3mm needle!! :mischievous:
Done, but only if a hot or cute nurse is the one holding the needle and she gives me a kiss better and a lollipop after. :dopey:
NSX LM Road Car Review

I love my Honda like I love my ga- no I wont sing that, otherwise Mafs will accuse me of being a druggy again. :P

Thanks for the NSX LM review! :D It's definately faster than it looks and I was suprised just how much like an NSX it can still be. In GT4 it was terrible, but something about GT5 made it grow another set of ball-joints (:sly:) and really start sticking it to Ferrari, Lamborghini, everyone. :lol:

Matte colours really make this NSX LM look sweet. :D:tup:

Done, but only if a hot or cute nurse is the one holding the needle and she gives me a kiss better and a lollipop after. :dopey:

:lol: Too bad not every one's like that. :boggled:

Also I've built loads of tunes that will eventually all make it into my garage. My weekly updates system won't really help this fact...also should have started my course gallery yesterday before Sony accidentally hit the kill switch on the PSN. Also will have a video gallery up 'today'. In GT standards, which means not today possibly. :eek:

You could technically speaking still release tunes...can't you? Too bad RJ's PS3 is still being a broken 🤬. :)

And hey there's a SPACE in RJ's last post. Oh the irony.

Civic VTi-R review:
Tested on TGTT
Before:
Light, nimble, fun, fast, cheap, accessible and practical. This are the word that normally spring to mind when you hear the phrase 'hot hatchback'. And this original Civic Type R fits that description perfectly. It weighs under a ton and has a little 1500cc VTEC pushing out 260hp, so it's pretty quick. It's fun too, with that light body there's nothing to dilute its speed and responses. And unlike the really powerful hatches in the game like the C4 and the Alfa 147, it can actually cope and make the most of its power. It will still understeer, it's a FF, what do you expect? But the mental wheelspin isn't anywhere in sight. Rare for a (relatively) high powered front wheel drive car. And because of that, it did a lap of the TGTT in 1:23.603, not too bad.

After:
Well, think of this tune as just fine tuning the chassis. The understeer is still here, but less obvious, the power gets to the road just that bit better and well, it's just as much fun to drive. It's eager without being frantic, will happily play games without going over the top, and gives you the confidence that once you give the car full throttle, you don't ever have to lift off. You won't be feathering the throttle here, just confidently hurling this Civic into bends and surging towards the next bend with equal confidence. It has a feeling that no other non-RM'ed FF has. This sense of security, this feeling of reassurance that most hot hatches, even tuned and fettled ones, will lack. And it's this feeling, this confidence that allows it to knock a full second off its laptime with a lap of 1:22.578, which let's be honest, isn't bad at all. Now all that's needed is for Roj to complete my AE86 SS, for me to finish modifying the Civic (dropped the chassis reinforcement, the engine tuning stage 3 and the flywheel due to cost issues) and then to give a carbon bonnet and paint it in a corvette yellow and I can do a comparison of the 2 while pretending to be driving in Initial D.

Laptime:
1:23.603
1:22.578

Looking through the tunes i've noticed a lot of hatchbacks but your missing the best one! (plus I cant believe nobody has actually done a tune for it either)

The Ford RS! I know its only a standard but i'm fairly sure it will beat all of your other hatchback tunes quite comfortably. Any chance there is one on the way? If not i'll post a review and put in a request :)

Ok i tried three of your setups.
I tested them on Laguna Seca because some corners like the enter of the Corkscrew and the downhill curve after the start line tend to show how well a car behave. Plus it was short enough to allow me to make a satisfying amount of laps for each car.
I add the times that I got. I'm nowhere near a very good racer because I don't have too much time to spend on gaming because of my studies:grumpy:
I will try to upload some times on the Nordschleife.

First the Enzo : Great settings, the car feels like it's on rails most of the time and it have a very progressive oversteer on 2nd and 3rd gear just the the way I like it. The car is very stable on braking which is probably the most important thing considering the ridiculous speeds you get while entering corners. I tried with the wing (maximum downforce) and without the wing and can't see much of a difference...I'm glad because i don't like wings in general and this is one of the uggliest so far.
Time on Laguna Seca : 1.18.625

Then the Murcielago SV : I was looking forward to this one because I never managed to anihilate the tendancy to spin on hard braking on my fully tuned one. It drives as safe as a fully tuned gtr despite the rear engine. That's a great achievement and one of my favorite tuned cars...in black it's just gorgeous and it completely splatters LMPs in A-spec. Also good sound:)
Time on Laguna Seca : 1.17.812

The Ford GT : one of my top favourite with or without tuning. My favourite of the three for :
-the sound whoaaaaaaah...:scared:
-the non-padlle gearbox because I use the gearbox that the original car have and heel and toe is much more fun than just pulling paddles. (using G27)
-the car oversteers pretty much like the Enzo but because of the torque more than power, so you can manage nice corner exits without the risks of losing traction in high speed curves when losing downforce like the Enzo does. I like hardcore driving, but superfast counter steering at 240 km/h is not really funny but rather scary and rarely gets you back on the track.
Very good looking, cheap (I think...), and very competitive even witout the wing.
Time on Laguna Seca : 1.19.930

You succeded to transform some of the scariest and undriveable monsters of GT5 into safe, entertaining and stupid fast LMPs eaters. I believe racing soft tires are important for grip control but I can go 3~4 seconds faster around Laguna Seca by using your setup than I do without tuning. Thank you for your awesome job and I'm looking forward to your further settings which, I hope, will include Merc' SLR, Viper Srt10 ACR (fully tuned it produce +1000hp and goes like a nuclear powered truck but oversteers then understeers and so on...horrible to drive), Corvette ZR1, and some of the most powerfull street cars of the game. I'm still learning english so don't be hard on me...please:nervous:

"Try it on a Takata, I've never guaranteed it to work on the Raybrig. I've said it should work, but not that it will.

That said, your review is a bit inconsistent to what others have noted.

As for your whining about the way it's set up... Well...

It's actually pretty soft next to real-world race cars (FIA GT cars run 1-2000lb/in spring rates, a spring rate of 20.0kg/mm is 1120lb/in), shocks were actually done at the Ring and lower settings were tried but caused the car to skip, bounce, and hop over bumps. Sways are the same deal, the spring rates are perfectly sufficient for controlling body roll so strong sways are not needed (and, indeed, would make it far worse over bumps). If I could set them to 0, I would've.

Anyway, I'm going to say that you need to learn to left foot brake a bit. It's something I learned to do entering that corner quite a while ago (though I've done a maximum of 50 laps at Rome total, meh) amongst others and does wonders to keep the rear of a tailhappy car in check under braking. The Takata is set up to make the driver choose how it handles... It can do a reasonable imitation of a D1GP car if you want or remain perfectly stable... All depends on how you use your right foot. Sorry yours isn't trained (someone didn't bother with IC10 I see)."

Response:

Been "Left Foot" braking since 1975 Slalom Racing in Japan, so I know a little bit about it. Especially when it comes to MR cars.

I will try the set up in a Takata if I ever get one, however I believe the two cars to be so simlar it probably won't work for me.

Not trying to whine, just giving my honest assesment of what I felt in the car.

If the IC10 reference is to the International C license requirement, I don't think I could have gotten my Super without going through all the the prior tests.

Please don't mention what the real cars come with or use. If I could adjust control arm length, trailing arm geometry, caster, wedge, spring length, tower height, wheel size, etc etc (Xmil) in the game, we could realistically talk real world scenarios. There are just too many variables in the real world that are not in the game to make any comparisons.

All in all, I think you guys do great work, especially so just in the fact you are putting tunes out there for folks that have no clue. It can really help those that just don't understand any of the physics involved.

The point is, the set up didn't work for me and I tried to in a light hearted way give you my honest assesment.

Slam me once, shame on you, slam me twice, shame on me. I'll continue to check out your setups and keep my oppinion as to suitability to my self.

S13 Silvia Speed Star

So after testing this car for a couple of hours the other day, I can definitely say that this car is a blast to drive, IF you choose the right track. It's not going to be setting any lap records at circuit de la sarthe any time soon, but it's definitely the best way to enjoy mount aso.

After dialling in the seemingly arbitrary parameters of the track creator and hitting refresh a few times, I managed to create a reasonably twisty track with a nice gradient throughout, and tackling it in this car was a joy. The car does exactly what you want to do, and the handling is superb as you guide it through tight hairpins and sweeping curves alike. The transmission settings seemed to work well in these sort of conditions, but unfortunately meant the stupid, long straight was a bit of a bore. As I've said before I'm not really the most knowledgeable about cars, so I can't really provide any technical information about the tune, but I feel that's O.K for this car, because as Roj stated, it's more of a fun drive that really comes into its own on a winding, corner heavy track.

Admittedly, for some of my testing time I became possessed by the spirit of Iketani and slapped on some comfort hards and skidded inexpertly around the track I created. It seemed to handle it OK, but I don't know too much about drifting anyway. :)

I'm definitely going to be driving this car a lot more in the future as it really is a fun car to cruise around in. :cool:

Back