RKM Motorsport - Tuned Tuners - May '13

VTiRoj
Ah, the one you're bringing to driftking's story race later on? :D

Yup, that one. It looks more ridiculous than the picture actually suggests. Before it didn't actually have downforce (courtesy of a horribly unfitting wing :dunce: ) or a bad paint job but driftking's story has kinda forced me to ruin it. :( It will make my tune garage eventually when I'm finally get my fanfic back in process...

And sweet colour scheme! It twins with the RKM Ricer. :lol: Both at Gion too. Did you mean to do that or is this a sweet co-incidence? :sly:

:lol: Pure coincidence, I assure you! If you were to look through my garage most of the cars I have tinkered with and painted are some form of yellow, red or orange. Some cars take bright colors well and others don't. The S2000 was one that took a color shift without looking like it belonged in a "sick bucket". :crazy:

While I am here, have either of you tuned anything with the quick tune on GTPSP? I'm out of town the next week and half and will have my PSP with me for my GT fix. Just wondering if you might have anything to keep me busy. GTPSP tunes are pretty scarce. :rolleyes:

Yup, that one. It looks more ridiculous than the picture actually suggests. Before it didn't actually have downforce (courtesy of a horribly unfitting wing :dunce: ) or a bad paint job but driftking's story has kinda forced me to ruin it. :( It will make my tune garage eventually when I'm finally get my fanfic back in process...
It didn't look too bad out there just now. Team Rice, go! :lol:
:lol: Pure coincidence, I assure you! If you were to look through my garage most of the cars I have tinkered with and painted are some form of yellow, red or orange. Some cars take bright colors well and others don't. The S2000 was one that took a color shift without looking like it belonged in a "sick bucket". :crazy:

While I am here, have either of you tuned anything with the quick tune on GTPSP? I'm out of town the next week and half and will have my PSP with me for my GT fix. Just wondering if you might have anything to keep me busy. GTPSP tunes are pretty scarce. :rolleyes:

Wow. :lol:

Neither of us have GTPSP so no, sorry. :guilty:

nothing can beat the ricer I saw at morrison's today. Lime green impreza, ugly after market tail lights, pink/black wheels with the kind of spindly bike spoke wheel design, HUGE spoiler that looked like it was made of cardboard, carbon bonnet with the biggest scoop I have ever seen, and 'chargespeed' written on the side, the bonnet and the top of the windshield. We laughed out loud at the driver when he drove away :D

nothing can beat the ricer I saw at morrison's today. Lime green impreza, ugly after market tail lights, pink/black wheels with the kind of spindly bike spoke wheel design, HUGE spoiler that looked like it was made of cardboard, carbon bonnet with the biggest scoop I have ever seen, and 'chargespeed' written on the side, the bonnet and the top of the windshield. We laughed out loud at the driver when he drove away :D

I hope it was a 1.6 GL or something and not an actual WRX. Poor Impreza, what did it do to deserve that? :scared:

VTiRoj
I hope it was a 1.6 GL or something and not an actual WRX. Poor Impreza, what did it do to deserve that? :scared:

You'd cry if if you saw the WRX that is in my neck of the woods. It is a white wagon/avant/whatever it is Subaru calls them, 01 or 02 body style with the round headlights. It has a big Pepto Bismol pink splotchy, flamey, hideous stripe down both sides from the bottom of the windows down. Makes my head ache when I run across it on the street and yet it isn't the worst I've seen. One day I am going to go out with my camera and take some pics of all the ugly cars I run across. :crazy:

You'd cry if if you saw the WRX that is in my neck of the woods. It is a white wagon/avant/whatever it is Subaru calls them, 01 or 02 body style with the round headlights. It has a big Pepto Bismol pink splotchy, flamey, hideous stripe down both sides from the bottom of the windows down. Makes my head ache when I run across it on the street and yet it isn't the worst I've seen. One day I am going to go out with my camera and take some pics of all the ugly cars I run across. :crazy:

Lol I feel sorry for you, but I've seen riced out Imprezas as well. I came across one which had a wing which was taller than the roof of the car itself, a carbon hood scoop which stuck out 5 inches from the bonnet, had what appeared to be a 22B front bumper only they cut so much grooves and holes in it you'd think it just came back from a war. Oh and the exhaust was so big you really could stick your head in there…

NSX R1 review-

Before-
It’s a very tricky car to drive, but could never figure out why…I mean, it has grip, miles and miles of it, but you could never trust it in the corners. The brakes stop you, but you never have the confidence to try and brake as late as you dare. I was expecting for it to be a NSX-R with 5 gears instead of 6, but it’s far too edgy and discouraging for that. After 3 laps of wrestling this car around, I just quit. I have a headache, I don’t feel too great, and the car’s not what I was expecting it to be. So what is it then? It’s no NSX-R clone, it’s not a Super GT500 rivaling car, so what is it? Well, let me tell you. What it is, is a stripped out, pared down and easy-to-drive mini touring car. It’s not an imitation of the NSX-R, it is what it is, a NSX RM. Race Modified, but no more than that. So, now I’ve changed my views of looking at it, is it any better? Well, yes. And a lot better. It’s smoother to drive than most race cars, sticking to it’s everyday user friendly side, it’s got more grip than most race cars and the power is served up in a wave rather than in a spike. I think this is easily the most relaxing race car in GT5, it’s nowhere near as easy to drive as the NSX-R, but it’s easy enough for me to drive when I have a bad headache. Laptimes wise, I could do a 1:11.777 with a fair amount of oversteer and a few ‘do or die‘ drifts towards the end. It wasn’t a fluke either, I did 3 laps in this car, all of them within the 1:11.xxx bracket. And I wasn’t even that knackered afterwards.

After-
For the sake of not suddenly blacking out, flopping on my bed due to fatigue or just making my headache worse, I’ll try to keep this review short. So how does it feel? Well, it’s even more competent in the turns, and it’s just…better. It’s got more feel, more attitude, and just feels so much more alive. This is a true track machine. Fast, tricky, rewarding, but won’t kill you if you don’t have the talent. It loves to drift, this. You enter a corner and boot the power, and this will instantly respond by summoning up a lot of tire smoke, and then when the smoke has reached the point where it’s so thick you can’t see through it, it’ll suddenly blast out of the corner quicker than the smoke can clear. Which is quick enough to get it around the track in 1:10.277. Pretty much on par with a TVR tuscan RM, which is lighter, more powerful and not what you’d call a slow car. It’s still a bit edgy, when the back end steps out a bit too much, you really can’t do anything other than hope for the best and just close your eyes while flooring it…And I’ve now run out of things to say…damn. There’s so much I want to talk about on this car, but I really can’t put it into words how it feels. Put it this way, the steering, the grip, the power, all those things I didn’t mention, all of it is too good for words. It’ll leave you speechless.

Laptimes: (Tested on TGTT)
1:11.777 (before)
1:10.277 (after)

Note-I’ll come back to give it a better review soon, but this will do for now…

Edit: Having given it some track time around the 'Ring, I think I've found a way to wrap it up. You know 'Blackbird', from Wangan Midnight, its driver has a way of driving it, he doesn't go all out and attack his opponent, he keeps up, observes the situation in hand and then strikes at the appropriate time (well, that's how I think he drives). And in this, you need to do exactly that. You need to hold back, resist the urge to charge for first (if you don't, this car is vicious, it will not turn if you push it and if you drive off road with 2 wheels on the grass, it'll spin), and then in the latter parts of the lap, it'll eat up all the gap. It doesn't matter how far back you are, 2 seconds, 4 seconds, 9 seconds, this car will get you right up the lead car's exhaust pipe. And then it leaves it up to you to get by. It's more than a car, it's a lesson in driving. Fitting, isn't it? Considering this was the original NSX, the one Senna got involved in developing. And this car, like watching the great man himself driving, is a lesson in how to drive on the limit, pushing to achieve something that should be beyond its capabilities (It beat a Zonda LM race car on the 'Ring). And this is definitely a lesson I won't forget about in a hurry.

Last edited:
Then the awkward silence follows.

S13 Speed Star: I'm back, did you forget about me?

The car said that, not me. :P

Now I've set the car up, I get to do another shakedown. Spent exactly 34 minutes going in circles. :ill:

Anyways, let's cut to the chase, since I don't feel like wasting space with words, words and words. The car still understeers on corner exit, but I found a remedy: short-shifting. In most of the corners, the car just plows even more, even if it's an FR. But it seems that when I shift too early, the car tightens up and gets precise. It prevents catastrophic wheelspin too. It isn't a bad thing too because with a low RPM turbo, there's virtually no turbo lag.

And if the lap times do the talking too, the S13 beats records with a breeze. Here's the low-down on the lap times:

RE Amemiya RX-7 (WITHOUT RKM tune-up): 1:47.946
RKM S13: 1:49.533
Corvette Z06 C6: 1:52.549
Viper SRT10 ACR: 1:52:797

see-manplz.jpg

See?

If you don't know about TF2 fads, never mind that weird Demoman. :lol: All I can say is that the S13 proves that it can school some supercars too. It just didn't reach the RX-7 though. :guilty:

After 34 minutes, I got bored of running in circles. I almost yawned. So I thought of something else: slapping Comfort Softs and drifting. I really enjoyed it, although the car wasn't really that tailhappy, requiring me to use the handbrake more often. Maybe I'm used to that Corvette Stingray, but anyway, I was able to score 16933 points in a full lap. But I could have done it better though, but anyway, I drift for fun, not for points. *sigh*, if only Shye was with me, I could have a tandem with her. :grumpy:

Here I go again, with questions roaming around in my mind after testing a tune. So RKM S15 vs. RKM S13, the newcomer or the veteran? Which touge monster will reign supreme in the land of the rich and famous? And which shall excite Shye moar? :sly: Stay tuned to find out.

EDIT: WHOOPS, DAMMIT I ALWAYS FORGET IMPORTANT BITS IN REVIEWS. :ouch:

The test is done in Cote d' Azur by the way. I feel like it's my home whenever I take a run there. Loved driving there, so this may be my official test track for your tunes too.

Last edited:
You'd cry if if you saw the WRX that is in my neck of the woods. It is a white wagon/avant/whatever it is Subaru calls them, 01 or 02 body style with the round headlights.
Not the wagon! :yuck: Damn goofs ricing a wagon.
Not to slip into the discussion here but...

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=5339883#post5339883

Decided to do a review for you guys 'cause that's kinda what I do, and I benifet both of us, you get a review, and I get to put another article up. Enjoy.
I like the article. :D Really nicely laid out and I like how your pictures make it look like the NSX has a couple of fart cannons out back. :lol:

But yeah thanks for the article! I'll have to take a look at more of your articles. :D
NSX R1 review-

Thanks for the review! The NSX R1 was a scary one to release, because generally, people expect the NSX RM to be better than the NSX-R '02. Now whilst this NSX RM is faster than the '02, part of that is because of the racing hard tyres. I'd think a fully tuned NSX-R '02 with sports softs would decimate the NSX R1. :lol: So yeah, it's good to see it's making good impressions.

And yeah, agreed with the Blackbird comparison. He's all cool and calculated with his racing, as opposed to the Devil Z's aggressiveness. The NSX R1 does respond well to the calculated stuff. :)

S13 Speed Star: I'm back, did you forget about me?

Thanks for reviewing the old S13! :D I wouldnt expect it to beat the FD but to beat the Viper and Corvette? Well. That says it all. :lol: I'd blame the aging chassis for the understeer but it may also be my old tuning. :lol: It might need a revision but after what happened with the S15, I dont want to. :lol:👍

I drift for fun too, but I use a near-stock 300ZX to do it. Quite fun. :D

S15. There's no contest. :lol: Shye would probably find the S15 more exciting, regardless of what seat she's sitting in. :P

Thanks for reviewing the old S13! :D I wouldnt expect it to beat the FD but to beat the Viper and Corvette? Well. That says it all. :lol: I'd blame the aging chassis for the understeer but it may also be my old tuning. :lol: It might need a revision but after what happened with the S15, I dont want to. :lol:👍

I drift for fun too, but I use a near-stock 300ZX to do it. Quite fun. :D

S15. There's no contest. :lol: Shye would probably find the S15 more exciting, regardless of what seat she's sitting in. :P

Guess the additional ~100 HP would make the victor obvious. But still, I haven't tested the S15 yet, so I couldn't really come up with a conclusion yet.

Speaking of which, sorry if a 2-in-a-row would be annoying, blame me for procrastinating. :(

The R34 Black RKM edition: my old favorite.

... and why not Black? Why Orange again? I have a thing for bright colors such as yellow, orange, and lime green. Not necessarily Lamborghini paints only, but something bright and shiny. :P

I was pretty sure that I was always complaining about understeer way back when I was new to the forums. I kept telling you about "understeer here, understeer there, what the 🤬 happened to my favorite car? How dare you commit blasphemy!", stuff like that. I started having second thoughts about my reviews about this car before, since I was using AIDS. (this pun would get old, I know.) The AIDS kept giving the R34 more grip, thus forcing understeer.

Now that I already learned teh art of no AIDS and no AUTO, I decided to take a run on Eiger. See if understeer is still a killer.

But oh boy, I was wrong. I just realized how splendid the tune was. It performed the way I liked. It's a 4WD that doesn't act like an FF at least.

Stable? Stable as a house? It wasn't stable. It was wild enough to rip the tarmac. Yes, I know, it's stable alright. What's surprising though is that it's pretty responsive, without compromising stability. When the corner's too tight for this car, I could just yank the E-brake and feel the powerslide. Which gives me the edge in the first hairpins, although there's no need for the handbrake when I could also release the accelerator to tighten up.

Through the sweeping corners, yes, I'll say it again, its monster grip squeezes the car right through the turn without any drama. Perfect. Just what I needed from the car.

It has a tendency to lose control though from a jump. Meh, the solution is there already: don't slam the gas while mid-air. Just wait for it. Or spin out and face death. Pretty much what the rally drivers do too. Front downforce. you say? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Sorry, didn't put up benchmarks though, but the RKM R34 zips through Eiger in... drum roll please, 1:07.862. And who said that 450 hp is already too much for a mountain pass?

It may not have the power oversteer that gives life to the drive, but hell, it's too bloody quick to be exciting. In a blink of an eye, you could already see me out of the corner already. Either the handbrake or a slippery surface would cause some excitement, but who needs them anyway.

I need rain to come this time. It just sticks to the road a lot. But for now, I'll cruise in my dream car of all time in Route 7, head to a 5-star hotel and sleep in peace. And lay off the urges to review too for a while so that this thread won't get spammed up. 👍

The R34 Black RKM edition: my old favorite.
Onboy does 10 in a row, dont worry about that. :lol:

Thanks for the review! The Black Edition got a revision sometime after your review so unless you've not updated your own R34, it's contributing to why you're feeling so much change. :P Glad you like it though. :D:tup:

Oi, are you saying I do too much and spam your thread? Anyways, 2 things:
1) you said you were going to do an Evo IV RM tune and have yet to get round to doing it.
2) Aside from finishing off some unfinished business with RJ's Impreza, I've run out of things to review(not so surprising is it?), so anything you want reviewed? (ASIDE FROM THE PRIUS!)

Oi, are you saying I do too much and spam your thread? Anyways, 2 things:
1) you said you were going to do an Evo IV RM tune and have yet to get round to doing it.
2) Aside from finishing off some unfinished business with RJ's Impreza, I've run out of things to review(not so surprising is it?), so anything you want reviewed? (ASIDE FROM THE PRIUS!)

No, I'm saying he's worrying about spamming with only 2 reviews, whilst you're powering through reviews like a fat kid with a lifetime supply of cake. :P

1. EvoIV RM? :boggled:

2. Review anything you've not reviewed yet? I think above all, RJ needs more reviews. :P

Thanks for the review! The Black Edition got a revision sometime after your review so unless you've not updated your own R34, it's contributing to why you're feeling so much change. :P Glad you like it though. :D:tup:

Like it? I LOVED IT! Well, I've reviewed the R34 like how many times already and yet I wasn't satisfied. After much experience without AIDS, I now got the car of my life. :drool:

960515cc296189b16d3ba213b0b21d9e.gif

But words still wouldn't express how much I loved it, so I left you a .gif before going off to bed. 👍

Oh ****! screwed up with the stupid roman numerals! I meant Evo IX RM…Stupid names…
And yes, there was a time when I reviewed cars like a fat kid powers through a lifetime supply of cakes, as you put it. But that's just what happens when they're:
1) Very good
2) good enough to keep me occupied
If they were ****, I would have stopped ages ago…

Like it? I LOVED IT! Well, I've reviewed the R34 like how many times already and yet I wasn't satisfied. After much experience without AIDS, I now got the car of my life. :drool:

http://imagehaul.com/uploads/960515cc296189b16d3ba213b0b21d9e.gif

But words still wouldn't express how much I loved it, so I left you a .gif before going off to bed. 👍
Thank you, good sir. :D
Oh ****! screwed up with the stupid roman numerals! I meant Evo IX RM…Stupid names…
And yes, there was a time when I reviewed cars like a fat kid powers through a lifetime supply of cakes, as you put it. But that's just what happens when they're:
1) Very good
2) good enough to keep me occupied
If they were ****, I would have stopped ages ago…
Oh the IX RM. Yeah I've not tuned that yet. Oops. :lol:

Well get going then! And if I can't send the Bread Van, could you just tune the one you have, see what works best?

Well get going then! And if I can't send the Bread Van, could you just tune the one you have, see what works best?

When I feel like it, sure. :P

I am tuning the one I have already. :lol: For the wagon, it's not what works best, but what feels best. ;)

Well, if it can beat the Evos, how about tune it to go after the NSX? Or RJ's STi 400? Of course, this is only if it feels right...

And only you know what 'original' feels like. I don't have a clue how it drove like in GT4, so I can't comment on that...

And only you know what 'original' feels like. I don't have a clue how it drove like in GT4, so I can't comment on that...

Me and anyone else who drove it. The settings were up at RVV for anyone to try. :P

Great NSX tune, works really well despite that annoying 5 speed gearbox, used to jamming the square button 5 times to get back to first gear. :P Fun thing to drive too, good when I'm taking a break from starting my fanfiction.

Back