Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2025

Japan
Japan

Genki announced Tokyo Xtreme Racer on August 22, 2024 (Japan time) as a new racing game for Steam.

This game is a reboot of the TXR series, and is currently listed on Steam as a single-player game scheduled for release in 2025.

What are you looking forward to from this game?

Old post:
There are rumors going around that Genki will be announcing a new Tokyo Xtreme Racer tomorrow Japan time.
As there doesn't seem to be a thread on this topic on GTP yet, I thought I'd create one and share the information with you all.

The facts currently known are as follows:

1: Genki has applied for a trademark for Tokyo Xtreme Racer in Japan.
This trademark has been applied for video games for consoles and PCs. And it has not been filed as a trademark for mobile games.

2: Genki opened a their official Youtube channel yesterday.

3: Genki has announced a new action game for Steam called "Devil Road Run! " This game itself is unrelated to TXR, but the press release for the game states that this is the “first” game they are releasing on Steam, suggesting that they will be releasing more games on Steam in the future.

4: Genki has been racing in real life, but the last time they raced, they used the names Genki Racing Project and Shutokou Battle as their team names, announcing that “the team name is a clue to our new game and we will announce more details this summer. "

5: Genki has decided to participate in a race hosted by Idlers on July 21st Japan time (tomorrow), and the team names they will be using for this race are "Genki Racing Project" and "Shutokou Battle."
And given that this is the only race they will be participating in this summer, and the timing of the aforementioned YouTube channel launch, it is speculated that they will probably use this race as an opportunity to announce the new TXR.

6: Genki's X account changed its header image around the same time as the Devil Road Run was announced, and the new header is an image of Tokyo's night view.

7: Route KS posted on their blog that Genki visited their company and asked for permission to use Route KS' NSX body kit on the new TXR. The post also revealed the new TXR logo and that the game is scheduled for release in 2024.
b54fbee4.jpg

8: Crave Entertainment and tokyoxtremeracer.com domains were updated in December of last year. Their website currently only has a "Coming Soon" message.

At this point, there is no objective evidence other than the trademark, and everything is merely speculation based on clues.
Either way, the truth will come out tomorrow.

Do you think new TXR will be released on Steam and consoles?
And what would you like to see in that game?

Last edited:
As much as this entire series has irritated and angered me, with all it's flaws, quirks, arbitrary bits and blatantly cheating cpu drivers...I would love for them to make a new one. I've about worn out the C1 on my old games replaying them.

What would I like to see? Hmm...I think they should add chances to get cars from the 60's and 70's, even if just as trophies. I'd like to see the teams have more unique touches, and maybe some extended lore. Better traffic AI. And I think some wild visuals for upgrades would be nice and be a way to stand out. Maybe online teams, but I'd never be good enough to take advantage of that.

I never got the chance to play Tokyo Extreme Racer back in the day so if they are bringing it back I welcome it. I love arcade racers!

Whoa! Haven't heard about that series in a long while. I played the hell out of Tokyo Xtreme Racer: Zero and Street Supremacy. Cheap opponent AI, frustrating car handling, and cryptic rivals requirements. So fun! 😅
I've only played the first TXR for Dreamcast (PAL: Tokyo Highway Challenge) and while it does have cheap AI, frustrating handling (until you get a GT-R) and overly mysterious structure... it's just so very fun to blast around the C1 route, feeling the thump of the expansion joints on the highway as you go.

I've only played the first TXR for Dreamcast (PAL: Tokyo Highway Challenge) and while it does have cheap AI, frustrating handling (until you get a GT-R) and overly mysterious structure... it's just so very fun to blast around the C1 route, feeling the thump of the expansion joints on the highway as you go.
Yes! Hitting those thumps at 250+mph, blasting up and down the Wangan in the R34, after leaving my console on for over 24 hours to accumulate 1864 miles on it to unlock max level engines. Hunting down Wanderer requirement guides on 56k dial-up. Muttering expletives at Zero as their 930 bolts off into the distance like a scalded cat. That damn cheating 240Z bumper car finale. Good times. 😅

I only played the one on the Dreamcast, the first one, and Import Tuner Challenge, so I haven't played the other TXR games (Even though I wish I did).

Now for this, I truly hope this isn't some kind of joke, after that horrible mobile game they released before. I mean, it's time that Tokyo Xtreme Racer comes back. I truly miss the series so much.

Last edited:
Now for this, I truly hope this isn't some kind of joke, after that horrible mobile game they released before. I mean, it's time that Tokyo Xtreme Racer comes back. I truly miss the series so much.
Interesting fact: Even within Genki, there seemed to be two divided reactions to Shutokou Battle Xtreme (a mobile game released in 2017).

After Xtreme's servers were shut down, Genki's official X-account representative posted a negative opinion about the app.

Perhaps the failure of Xtreme and the negative feedback they got at the time, is also one of the reasons why they are trying to re-release TXR as a console game.

Also, in Japan, two titles, Drift Spirits and Mario Kart, practically dominate the mobile game market, leaving no room for other racing mobile games to compete with them...

Perhaps the failure of Xtreme and the negative feedback they got at the time, is also one of the reasons why they are trying to re-release TXR as a console game.
Well let's see what happens when they reveal something today. I wonder what time though.

If there is an announcement today, it will likely be around 20:00 JST when the Idlers race ends.
As with the previous announcement, many Japanese TXR fans expected them to make a TXR announcement during the Idlers race, but considering they have not done so yet, it is likely they will take some kind of action after the race ends.

If they're doing a new Shutokou Battle for consoles (and even PC), I hope it's multi-platform (PS5, Xbox Series X/S and PC).

Will most likely get it for my Xbox Series X considering I've played the older Shutokou Battle games on Xbox, such as Import Tuner Challenge (360) and Tokyo Xtreme Racers Zero and 3 (Series X, PS2 emulation).

Yes, unfortunately nothing happened. It seems that the speculation that they would use the race to announce the TXR was wrong.

There is speculation that they will announce it on July 24th, Japan time, which is the release date of TXR3 (Shutokou Battle 01), but if nothing happens on this day, no one can predict when they will announce the new TXR.

However considering that the TXR logo used on Sho Tsuboi's racing suit is the same as the new logo seen on Route KS' blog, it is certain that they are developing a new TXR...

Yes, unfortunately nothing happened. It seems that the speculation that they would use the race to announce the TXR was wrong.

There is speculation that they will announce it on July 24th, Japan time, which is the release date of TXR3 (Shutokou Battle 01), but if nothing happens on this day, no one can predict when they will announce the new TXR.

However considering that the TXR logo used on Sho Tsuboi's racing suit is the same as the new logo seen on Route KS' blog, it is certain that they are developing a new TXR...
It is very suspicious that the racing suit is promoting that new logo of TXR....

Even when Gamescon shows up....I don't think they'll announce anything. I'm a bit annoyed that nothing has been announced today but alas, what can you do.

From what I know about the Japanese gaming market, I will be pleasantly surprised if this is a fully-fledged console/PC game instead of a mobile one.

If they are indeed making and announcing a new TXR game, this is probably the right time to do it.

I might be absolutely wrong but I believe that the series has been slowly gaining in popularity much thanks to the fact that no one really have tried to fill that gap in the racing genre besides Night Runners and the Shutoko Revival Project in Assetto Corsa, both only available on PC.

Either way, I’m crossing my fingers for a proper TXR 0/3/X successor. It is a long time coming.

Last edited:

"Devil Road Run!" PV has been released.
Maybe I'm overthinking it a little too much, but the video after the title logo may have some meaning.

Last edited:

"Devil Road Run!" PV has been released.
You may think a little too much, but the video after the title logo may have some meaning.

Okay time to read super deeply into this...

"Devil Road Run" - I'm reading a Thirteen Devils reference here, road, devil, you know.
She's being chased by knights - Knights belong in kingdoms... Kingdom Twelve? They and the Thirteen Devils are rivals afaik.
Chased by a car at the end - Followed by a car? Next game will be a car game? i.e. TXR? It's not a very uh... "sporty" car though, maybe that doesn't matter, long as it's a car.
The levels are like Tetris blocks, the Genki logo gets assembled block by block - Building blocks? Is this game the foundation for Genki's return into gaming?

Anything else?

Realistic guess: DRR and TXR are titles being developed by different development teams, perhaps DRR is a smaller title being made by a younger development team. Perhaps this game is part of a PR campaign for TXR as well as a test for Genki's first attempt at Steam, and giving them some game development experience.

Also, we won't be hearing anything about TXR from them in July. They will be prioritizing PR for DRR. However, we might see a teaser for TXR in DRR promotion, like this image seen at the end of the trailer.

スクリーンショット (15601).png

"Tin foil hat" guess: DRR is their first game in seven years. However, their PR campaign for this game is very passive.
Could this be an indication that they are not developing this game?
In other words, DRR is a “fake” game. This game will morph into other games on the day of release.
For example... into a demo like “Tokyo Xtreme Racer: Prologue”...

Perhaps this game is part of a PR campaign for TXR as well as a test for Genki's first attempt at Steam, and giving them some game development experience.

Could this be an indication that they are not developing this game?
1. That could be correct, the PR campaign for their new released game could help them get some experience with it.

2. If they aren't, how come there's a teaser of the car at the end of the video? I believe it's a clue.

Either way, I have mixed feelings.

A new tease from Genki?

This X-user in question, "Yoshi tomo," is not a Genki employee, but has been working with them for the past few years as a crew member of the Genki Racing Project.

My English skills are not good enough to accurately translate the nuances of his post, so I will just summarize the main points; it seems he is hinting at the existence of an event where he will talk about Genki games with Genki staff.

Considering that he is a core member of GRP in the real world and that GRP is the main topic of his posts, the main focus of this teased event will likely not be DRR, but TXR, or works from the past GRP series.

Unfortunately, he didn't make a follow-up post and it seems like he's purposely teasing us.
But it's good news for us that Genki and GRP are planning some kind of event.

August 3 Update:

Unfortunately, there is currently no detailed information, but it seems that they held a closed talk session today at Genki headquarters with Genki/GRP staff and some invited TXR fans.
Yoshi Tomo announced that there was a rule in the talk session that the words "new release," "next work," and "coming soon" could not be used, but this was probably just part of the tease.

It seems that this talk session was not just about interacting with their fans.

One of the X users invited to the talk session, "Renji," owns a BNR34 and posted on X that Genki covered his BNR34 for modeling.
And importantly, all of the fans invited to this talk session have one thing in common. They all own JDM sports cars, and that none of their cars are duplicates.
BNR34, AE86 Levin, Z32, S15, and VAB WRX are the cars currently known to be owned by the talk session participants.

If the real purpose of the talk session was not to interact with the fans but to cover their cars, it would explain why it was closed and Genki invited only certain users.

Last edited:
Back