S.N.A.I.L. Oval racing series---one off event

• Thread starter JLBowler
  • 351 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the double post but it's been a couple of days and this is new information.

The race on March 26 will be the Ford Focus ST '06 (premium car) at Indy SS on sports hard tires. The qualifying race will be 5 laps and the main event will be 37 laps.

Remember, this is another test night to check the time on the full format and to iron out any wrinkles that need to be taken care of.

Last edited:
The only issue I have with that video is that it's the replay....and I've found that the only car that drives smoothly in the replay is your own with any steering movement by another car being exaggerated :/

I'm not saying there wasn't any weaving going on, just that the replays tend to make things worse than what they were in the race itself.

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post but it's been a couple of days and this is new information.

The race on March 26 will be the Ford Focus ST '06 (premium car) at Indy SS on sports hard tires. The qualifying race will be 5 laps and the main event will be 37 laps.

Remember, this is another test night to check the time on the full format and to iron out any wrinkles that need to be taken care of.

FWD? On an oval? LoL sorry ill pass on that.

Only a suggestion but the 2010 Camaro RM would be sick. Racing Hards. IROC style racing. Aero and numbers. Just seems right to me.

Hmm has that been done? If not that is something I'd be all over.

Or 87 GN's or 88 Iroc Concept....

Last edited:
The reasoning for the FWD and lower HP is the hope that it will be more stable during the bump drafting. Some of the guys running this are not used to oval racing and need to be acclimated slowly to some of the nuances.

The reasoning for the FWD and lower HP is the hope that it will be more stable during the bump drafting. Some of the guys running this are not used to oval racing and need to be acclimated slowly to some of the nuances.

We could just use cars with aero and sticky tires. ;)

Not trying argue. Just being open. Ill be following and will prob try that FWD out. If its like I think. Then ill skip it. (Fwd and me have always had an issue. I flat hate it. Growing up at the dirt track. There no place in life for fwd) you of all prob understand this.

I didn't think you really needed to justify the choice, bowler. It makes for a great change since all we've used so far this year on Sundays has been RWD....but hey, I know I'm in the minority since RWD is my least favourite drivetrain :lol:

👍 This is a great idea. I hope I can make it tuesday, because I'm sure it will be fun, even if not the most adventurous of all possible car models.
We had great fun in the Cubes @ ovals races this week. 👍 And at 101hp FF, there were still some incidents where cars got loose & exciting :lol: let me tell ya. ha ha.
I think it's a good idea to get some practice in at lower speeds & more stable cars, to get the hang of things & let people discover what's so fun about oval racing, and the techniques & strategies involved.

Too many people I think pass it by because they try it once, have their cars unsettled, spin out, give up, and think - this is just too frustrating. :grumpy:
And I think that's really really a shame, because once you get the hang of it, it's really the kind of racing where you don't have to put in hours of laps on tracks in cars practicing lines, or spend hours tuning & testing, to have a shot at being competitive. :D You just need some actual racing practice to get the hang of it & figure out what's going on. 👍

I didn't think you really needed to justify the choice, bowler. It makes for a great change since all we've used so far this year on Sundays has been RWD....but hey, I know I'm in the minority since RWD is my least favourite drivetrain :lol:

You are correct, however his explanation helps one look past their personal dislikes. ;) see I was totally against it, now with some logic and understanding of why. I can appreciate that and will try it.

Knowing where we are and what his game plan is. I will adjust my driving style and do what it takes to help others get used to oval racing.

I'd like to see this grow and see some of above cars mentioned make appearances eventually. ;)

I broke my Focus in at Route X with an 11 lap one-make race....all I'll say is that the AI is useless for bumpdrafting your car; they wrecked me on the first lap (they had three cars all lined up but decided to split me instead of just driving by. The guy at the back tagged my left rear and spun me) :grumpy:

Luckily, and for reasons I don't understand, they need to brake for the turns so I was able to latch onto the back of the second last guy and push him all the way to the front. I then abandoned him on the final turn and took the win :lol:

Last edited:
I broke my Focus in at Route X with an 11 lap one-make race....all I'll say is that the AI is useless for bumpdrafting your car; they wrecked me on the first lap (they had three cars all lined up but decided to split me instead of just driving by. The guy at the back tagged my left rear and spun me) :grumpy:

Luckily, and for reasons I don't understand, they need to brake for the turns so I was able to latch onto the back of the second last guy and push him all the way to the front. I then abandoned him on the final turn and took the win :lol:
:lol: This is one of the funniest race reports I've ever seen outside of the "what my bob did" thread in the bspec forum. :lol:

Also: What hp/pp is your focus at? So I'll know if mine's fully broken in. I break my cars in while cooking & cleaning (oh the humanity) in seasonal events, just hitting the restart button. The reason I don't use the grand valley enduro is because my husband has the ps3 set to shut off automatically, and if I turn that setting off for a bspec race, I invariably forget to turn it back on, and then I am in trouble. :guilty:

Also: I did check the snail PCR known pp database, but the focus st 06 is listed at 420pp NOT broken in.

Last edited:
I was in shock at what they did, I have to say. It was on the long back straight, so they can't claim I was trying to block them....in fact, I was waiting for them to go past so I could use their draft.

232bhp and 422PP is what mine says after 209 miles and an oil change. I need to figure out a colour for it though since 'electric orange' is a standard Focus one...decisions, decisions!

Oh, and sorry, Owens. I didn't mean for my post to look like I was jumping all over it...I just figured that car was chosen after seeing how everyone ran on Tuesday and since getting a tap in corners with FWD isn't as hair raising as getting one with RWD can be :)

Last edited:
FWD? On an oval? LoL sorry ill pass on that.

Only a suggestion but the 2010 Camaro RM would be sick. Racing Hards. IROC style racing. Aero and numbers. Just seems right to me.

Hmm has that been done? If not that is something I'd be all over.

Or 87 GN's or 88 Iroc Concept....

👍 This sounds awesome i love the IROC racing, but ill drive a vw bus around Daytona if thats the car that is chosen:)

The date is fixed now. I made that mistake in two places but only fixed one of them. The track is Indy SS. I'll be updating the second post to show laps as well.

I will be unable to attend unfortunately. My controller is busted and i've yet to get to the store to pick up a new one

Some pretty good racing last night, the first race was really close 1st and second seperated by .006
Superspeedway-Indy_zps25d568bc.jpg

Superspeedway-Indy_1_zps42f63d00.jpg

The second race finish
Superspeedway-Indy_2_zps87713ea5.jpg

Some pretty good racing last night, the first race was really close 1st and second seperated by .006

The second race finish

Was a good time!!

I'd like to suggest the Evo IX (bias choice though)

This be mine:
evohdr2-1.png

I think someone tried the evo last night and said it ran out of gear, i suggest the 2014 vette 7 gears FTW

I ran the Evo and it did not run out of gear, even in the draft.

Fantastic night gentlemen! :cheers:Alliances formed and alliances broken! A total mind **** at times, who do I go with, who do I hang out to dry? Thanks JL for putting this awesome series for all of us to enjoy!

I know this car is a standard, but the Shelby Series One has a super high final gear just like the Lexus we tried a couple of weeks ago and it seems pretty stable from testing :/

Edit: the Callaway that's in the OCD at the moment doesn't seem to be half bad either around Daytona.

Last edited:
I know this car is a standard, but the Shelby Series One has a super high final gear just like the Lexus we tried a couple of weeks ago and it seems pretty stable from testing :/

Edit: the Callaway that's in the OCD at the moment doesn't seem to be half bad either around Daytona.

Both those sound fun, Bowler can u pick a car kinda soon, i aint got much time to break one in this weekend. thanks

Car Announcement
Since there wasn't a whole lot of discussion about it. We're going to go with the Evo IX from the dealership. I will break mine in and run some test laps and have the laps for Tuesday night posted by the start of Sunday's SNAIL races.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back