Scion t2B Concept...(Doesn't know what to say)

• Thread starter Delirious
  • 61 comments

Delirious

Meh
Premium
Metroider17
March 24, 2005 -- New York -- Scion, from Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., unveiled the all-new t2B (Tall Two-Box) concept vehicle at a press conference today at the 2005 New York International Auto Show.

The t2B concept reflects Scion's key product philosophies of style, versatility, and surprise. It encompasses bold exterior styling, innovative features, and a passenger-friendly interior, all packaged with Scion's requisite fun-to-drive factor.

2t2B_concept_vehicle_01.jpg

"The t2B combines the attitude of the xB with the comfort and sophistication of the tC to further reflect the dynamic nature of our buyers, and their desire to be distinctive," said Jim Farley, Scion vice president. "The t2B designers were given the direction to create a concept which would represent the love of owning your first car, and the mindset that your car is more than just a mode of transportation, it's a lifestyle."

The Scion t2B was developed by Calty Design Studio in Newport Beach, Calif., and built by Five Axis of Huntington Beach. The exterior concept is the creation of Alex Shen, project lead designer and Jin Kim, senior designer from Calty.

2t2B_concept_vehicle_02.jpg

Riding on an all-new platform, the t2B is powered by a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine and four-speed automatic transmission. It is equipped with 14-inch brakes with slotted rotors and 20-inch custom-machined, polished billet aluminum wheels.

A unique asymmetric exterior shape is created through the use of a "demado" design theme, which is Japanese for "bay window." Just as bay windows provide a sense of added space, Calty designers took this idea and applied it to the t2B's overall body style, resulting in its reverse trapezoidal shape. The addition of a wedge roof gives the concept a sporty and aggressive silhouette. A flush-fit wraparound windshield nearly conjoins with its oversized door windows to create a feeling of open spaciousness.

2t2B_concept_vehicle_04.jpg

Exterior personality is further expressed with bezel-framed, deep-set high intensity discharge headlamps, enhancing t2B's feeling of width and substance. The lower radiator grille houses one high intensity LED fog lamp, which provides the illumination strength of two. Wide vertical intake scoops and large fender flares reveal a commanding presence.

Styling elements from the front are carried over to the rear with vertical, bezel-framed red tail lights and an exhaust tip and reverse light that are housed in the lower bumper. The reverse trapezoidal shape is further emphasized with a "wide screen" rear window. The power rear hatch is remote operated, allowing easy cargo access.

2t2B_concept_vehicle_18.jpg

2t2B_concept_vehicle_07.jpg

Door handles and b-pillars are absent on the t2B. This omission, teamed with a high beltline and contoured edges convey sophistication and allows an uninterrupted view of the vehicles profile. The passenger side features a large, single remote-controlled power sliding door, allowing easy front- and back-seat entry from a single door. The driver side incorporates two remote-controlled suicide doors, which unlatch via remote control and manually swing open a full 180-degrees, revealing a surprisingly large lounge-like interior.

2t2B_concept_vehicle_06.jpg

The interior design, developed by Calty senior designer Bill Chergosky and Naoki Hamajima, takes advantage of the t2B's pure styling exercise by using a theme of "anything is possible." This theme is immediately evident upon entering the t2B. Its exterior demado shape makes the roof the widest point of the interior, allowing occupants to enjoy a sense of open space and headroom. Openness is further experienced with two fixed-glass moonroof panels, which run nearly the entire length of the roof.

2t2B_concept_vehicle_05.jpg

Different components of the interior come together to create an enclosed environment for occupants. Rear seats are slightly higher than the front, giving a stadium-like feel. Each of the four seats is contoured to the human body. When the doors are closed, sloping, padded lining integrates with the seats, providing lounge-like comfort. Seating material is multi-layered starting with brushed blue-steel perforated leather. A unique perforated design pattern exposes an underlying layer of color-keyed material on the three passenger seats and a distinctive red underlay on the driver seat. The seats are integrated with the floor where underlying carpet is exposed through long floorboard slots made of cast rubber with a seat-matching brushed metal finish.

2t2B_concept_vehicle_14.jpg

2t2B_concept_vehicle_15.jpg

An asymmetrical tri-level instrument panel features a large information ticker, which provides the user access to movies, games and music via downloads from the Internet, similar to today's cell phones. The upper layer of the instrument panel (IP) features an mp3 docking station, which echoes the dual moonroof design. The asymmetrical look of the IP is extended to the layout of the three-spoke steering wheel. The HVAC system is vertically integrated into a long and sleek center stack, extending from the IP to the floor.

2t2B_concept_vehicle_17.jpg

Customization is further maximized in the rear where the t2B's wide rear glass serves as a projection screen for movies, games or screen savers. To accommodate large social gatherings, the screen can be seen inside and out. A docking port and secondary controls are located in the rear cargo area for gaming systems.

Integrated into the suicide doors are speakers, which can be directed away from the interior. This, along with the rear projection screen, turns the t2B into an entertainment center when parked.

Unique, soft storage compartments are located in the sloping seat-integrated door pads, steering wheel, and under the rear seats. Contents are secured and removed through the use of Scion-themed zippers.

Calty also created two small-scale variations of the t2B concept to further illustrate Scion's forward thinking. The two scale models, the sport-themed Fastback and the utility-themed Cargo, reflect the many design possibilities of the t2B concept. Both the Cargo and Fastback are on display at the Scion exhibit at the 2005 New York Auto Show.

"The t2B pushes the envelope to successfully convey the three elements incorporated into all Scion products, style, versatility, and surprise," said Farley. "Like previous Scion concepts, the t2B provides our design teams the opportunity to make an impression with creative styling elements and allows us to listen to consumer feedback."

SCION t2B CONCEPT VEHICLE PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATIONS

POWERTRAIN
2.4 Liter four-cylinder

DIMENSIONS (inches)

Overall Length: 164.6

Overall Width: 70.5

Overall Height: 67.0

Wheelbase: 106.3

Wheels: 20-inch

Tire Size: 225/40 R20

2t2B_concept_vehicle_19.jpg

...can we say...i dont know what to say...(not that im amazed by it, i just dont have any real thought on it...)

except maybe some trekkies would like this :)

T2B = Try to be [cool]. And failing.
"The t2B combines the attitude of the xB with the comfort and sophistication of the tC to further reflect the dynamic nature of our buyers, and their DESIRE TO BE DISTINCTIVE,"
Yeah, along with the other 500,000 that they'll build if it goes into production. Which it hopefully won't.

wow.

they have the steering wheel upside down. what's the point of chopping off the top of it? and speaking of the steering wheel...do you need to unzip the damn thing to get the airbags to come out?

the interior is just....it's just "omg horrible". i love how they have the giant pillars in the rear...way to create a blindspot. the dash looks like total crap....but that's a given. i think it would generate so much light that it would be VERY hard on the eyes to drive at night. i would hate to think what a pain in the ass it would be to fix if something went wrong with it too. but hey, it's just a concept. a concept that won't make production. ever.

That thing is so horrendously ugly, it's actually funny! It's like a Monty Python cartoon!

I think this is now takes my 'Most Useless and Pointless Car in the World' award. It's combination of fugly exterior styling, mind numbingly bad interior, hideously unsupportive seats (Just look at them!!! No sides!!), and to top it all off, 20 inch rims on a 2.4L I-4, makes this a textbook exercise in automotive superfulouesness.

If any of you ever find me in one of those, please shoot me in the face.

:odd: All I gotta say is that better NOT be the next gen xB because lately Toyota has been pulling a Chrysler with their concept cars and if this is production ready Scions not gonna last too long with that one. :rolleyes: I hope my ass fits in that indentation too.

interior looks more like 70's sci fi to me...like you should see Starbuck(MALE Starbuck) in a egyptian helmet firing blasters or something. Toyo musta taken it outa an Anime...

Its only a prototype....

and prototypes are supposed to look either very cool or totally uncool depending on taste.

I'm 100% sure the production model won't look like this.

Hey look! It's a company trying to actually progress and change car design. This has faaaaaaaar better ideas than any of the poo to come out of the big 3 in the past decade. 'Nuff said.

The asymmetrical front foglamp is ugly. The asymmetrical rear reverse light isn't.

A+ for effort.

You guys are morons, concepts are never designed to go into production. They're designed to provide all the company's new styling cues, little knick-knacks and platform stuff for the others cars, like the headlights. They may appear on one model, while the doors may appear on another, and the ugly ass rims on another one. Overall I like it, of course some things need to be smoothed out (eg that retarded shifter in the dash), like what kind of vehicle it is. Giant station wagon? FWD underpowered SUV? Who knows, but they're selling great and new ideas from Toyota usually make a hit.

PS
You guys are morons, concepts are never designed to go into production. They're designed to provide all the company's new styling cues, little knick-knacks and platform stuff for the others cars, like the headlights. They may appear on one model, while the doors may appear on another, and the ugly ass rims on another one. Overall I like it, of course some things need to be smoothed out (eg that retarded shifter in the dash), like what kind of vehicle it is. Giant station wagon? FWD underpowered SUV? Who knows, but they're selling great and new ideas from Toyota usually make a hit.

:dopey: REALLY!? so did I just imagine most of Dodge's concept cars that went into production like the Viper and Prowler?? (not gonna mention all the concepts)

It's really too gaudy but, really the tC should be holding Scion afloat but it seems people like the Box. (xB)

VipFREAK
:dopey: REALLY!? so did I just imagine most of Dodge's concept cars that went into production like the Viper and Prowler?? (not gonna mention all the concepts)

What's the story behind that mess? I heard something about the Stealth comming out as a result of the concept because the viper wasn't in production yet, so they pushed out the stealth so it could be used as a pace car in NASCAR or something? And then they released the actual viper afterwards? What happened there?

[edit]

You know as well as I do that Dodge-Chrysler Corp. would have made the cars regardless of how many people liked them.

VipFREAK
:dopey: Same with Lexus then too, right?

I quite like Lexus. Very advanced cars, and the new RX330 is just amazing.

[edit]

and would you mind explaining to me what happened with the stealth/viper/pace car incident back in....1989? '88?

PS
I quite like Lexus. Very advanced cars, and the new RX330 is just amazing.

Then why don't you think concept cars are put into production?? :dopey:

PS
and would you mind explaining to me what happened with the stealth/viper/pace car incident back in....1989? '88?

I never heard of what your talking about but all I know is people were putting in deposits for the Viper when the Concept car was unveiled. Who cares about a race.

*just noticed one foglight on the scion above and...a backup light and the exhaust tip on the back?*

very...interesting...?

GTPlanet, this is my first real sound off against Scion.

The Scion xB isn't fast, but it has a distinctive character that makes it unique. The Scion tC is my favorite Scion. Ever since the first day I got inside of it at the Houston Auto Show, I could say to myself... I can live with this!

But with this concept car, it's pretty damn weird. It's also a potentially good idea gone horribly wrong. I wouldn't suggest any sort of cross-fusion between the xB and tC. My only real disappointment for this concept is that the xB and tC shouldn't be joined together like this. The xB is already a unique automobile. It may not be fast, it may not be overly powerful, but what it does have is character. It's distinctive and different. As I asked, what's wrong with being original? I think it looks 5 times better than its potential rival, the Nissan Cube. I respect both cars, the xB and tC, but NEVER wanted to see them together as one. The t2B may be just a concept, but it's imbreeding at its worst.

And if I wanted to see a much better concept from Scion, let it be a turbocharged Scion tC available at 240 hp. Maybe a Scion xB pickup truck conversion. I wasn't expecting this, though...

you said that when you got inside of it? the inside is the most unappealing crap ever. i don't even fit in it, and it's like 80% dashboard.

That's an ugly pile of $hit. I know it's a concept car & concept cars are known for having radical designs, but the sad thing is that this is only marginally worse than the Scion xB. I guess I should learn to expect such things from Toyota.

Back