Secret/Unicorn Cars?

I miss "hidden" cars from the older games. Like the all black GT-One, R92, & 787B from GT4.

None of the cars I have in GT6 hold much weight, or importance like they used to in GT4, and back. All of them can be purchased. Log in 5 days in a row and you can do a few seasonals to afford them.

Being able to win a car rather than buy it feels a lot better IMO. Even if PD implemented unique parts, cars, or designs (Performance and Cosmetic) that could be won by placing in the top 10K in seasonal rankings, beating certain tiers (A, and B license races etc), or just completing chellenges and getting trophies Etc. that would help.

In GT3, the R390/GT40/GT1 road cars, LM racers from GT and many cars were hidden from the dealerships and achieving these from such hard races made a great game. But in GT6 we had to do all the IA races just to win one Enzo. C'mon, this car can be bought with not much effort.

Secret cars should be given for trophies achieved. Like the Frozen M4. Reach 200mph on a short straight in an unmodified car and be gifted a lime green Konigseggegggegggegggeggg. Remember the R35 Nurb TT? Match that time and be gifted a Premium '71 Skyline GT-R race car. Those would be "Secret Cars". Completing an unspecified number of laps at Mount Panorama and you're gifted Peter Brock's A9X.

I liked how things were in GT4.

There were quite a few cars (Toyota RSC Rally Car, NSX-R LM Race Car, and the Nissan GTR Concept come to mind) that did not appear in the dealership at all and winning them was a nice surprise. Did it matter that these cars weren't in the dealership? Not to me. After all, it's not like there weren't good-enough competitors.

Also in GT4 were cars that were viewable in the dealership, but could not be purchased. (The "Cr. --" cars like the infamous Minolta) Cars like this created a vague sense of mystery for me. Like, "woah, how do I win that?"

Both of those things mentioned above, in my opinion, helped to give cars some sort of rarity. This is pretty much nonexistent in GT6 (also in my opinion, some may think it isn't). I get that not everyone likes the idea of secret/hidden/unpurchasable cars, so who knows, maybe GT7 will give us an option: an easy mode where everything is in the dealerships and everything can be purchased, and another mode in which some cars are hidden entirely while some can be viewed but not bought, like in GT4. But then again, this is PD, so I will not even pretend to hope for something like that.

I like the idea but their secrecy would last all of a week once they were found on GTPlanet.
You can make the same argument against secrets media-wide. Why include a plot twist in the new Star Wars film if that twist is going to be released all over the internet before the film is even officially released? Simple: people who actually enjoy surprises in their games, movies, books, whatever don't go out of their way to seek them out on the internet.
I know there are some people who think they're entitled to have every car and reward the game has to offer without actually playing through it to earn those things, but you have 1300+ cars. In one game. It won't kill you if 100-200 or so of those cars can only be unlocked as a reward by playing through the game. If you want every car to be available for purchase from the start in online mode because you're strictly an online player, that's fine but please keep the offline simulation mode out of this.

I like that idea. In GT4 McLaren F1 GTR longtail was in dealership but you could buy it (cr "--), you should win if I remember corectly GT world championship to receive it as award car. I was so happy when finaly got it. Also Toyota gt one race car '98 in GT2 was hiden car, you could buy just road version in dealership.

I dunno, the C7 prototype flew into GT5 under the radar.

...Unless my faulty memory's acting up, wasn't that C7 proto a "DLC"? If that's so, than I don't see that as a secret car really.

I can't even remember making that post to be honest - and it wasn't even that long ago. :embarrassed:

...Unless my faulty memory's acting up, wasn't that C7 proto a "DLC"? If that's so, than I don't see that as a secret car really.

I can't even remember making that post to be honest - and it wasn't even that long ago. :embarrassed:
Yeah, but before that it was shown in the little menu animations that play when you leave the controller alone.

Caused so much hype in the forums.

I miss "hidden" cars from the older games. Like the all black GT-One, R92, & 787B from GT4.

None of the cars I have in GT6 hold much weight, or importance like they used to in GT4, and back. All of them can be purchased. Log in 5 days in a row and you can do a few seasonals to afford them.

Being able to win a car rather than buy it feels a lot better IMO. Even if PD implemented unique parts, cars, or designs (Performance and Cosmetic) that could be won by placing in the top 10K in seasonal rankings, beating certain tiers (A, and B license races etc), or just completing chellenges and getting trophies Etc. that would help.

I remember in the old days — meaning GT4 and back — doing (insert crazy long endurance race here) and winning (insert rare race car here) was the most rewarding, valuable feeling in the game. It made those accomplishments feel really special, and it made me feel very attached to the garage I accumulated. The problem is, you have more and more people now that want to remove the more game-centric aspects of simulators. Usually they complain about not having enough free time to play through an entire game to get to one of the few cars they really want to drive. I see the value in that, and I still enjoy games like Project Cars that have taken that approach and done it well. But I prefer my video games to be just that — games, with lots of rare or quirky secrets to surprise the player every so often, and reward them for their patience and work late in the experience.

Yeah, but before that it was shown in the little menu animations that play when you leave the controller alone.

...Now, why would anyone leave their controllers idle? :sly:

Unfunny joke aside, I don't recall leaving the controller alone during GT5 My Home screen, so chances are I've never come across that.

Wait, didn't those BG animations get updated with patches?

I remember in the old days — meaning GT4 and back — doing (insert crazy long endurance race here) and winning (insert rare race car here) was the most rewarding, valuable feeling in the game. It made those accomplishments feel really special, and it made me feel very attached to the garage I accumulated. The problem is, you have more and more people now that want to remove the more game-centric aspects of simulators. Usually they complain about not having enough free time to play through an entire game to get to one of the few cars they really want to drive. I see the value in that, and I still enjoy games like Project Cars that have taken that approach and done it well. But I prefer my video games to be just that — games, with lots of rare or quirky secrets to surprise the player every so often, and reward them for their patience and work late in the experience.
Exactly. I have no issue accumulating hours on a game that I enjoy even though i'm working a full time job, but then again everyone's situation isn't the same. My purpose for playing videogames is to have a fun and interesting experience, and at the same time I want it to be realistic (At least regarding racing games, and shooters).

Besides making me feel great, and accomplished, it adds to realism having rare cars. Just like in real life you couldn't just show up and buy whatever. Having to win certain cars is just an awesome experience, and motivator.

But of course like I said I understand some just don't have time.

Exactly. I have no issue accumulating hours on a game that I enjoy even though i'm working a full time job, but then again everyone's situation isn't the same. My purpose for playing videogames is to have a fun and interesting experience, and at the same time I want it to be realistic (At least regarding racing games, and shooters).

Besides making me feel great, and accomplished, it adds to realism having rare cars. Just like in real life you couldn't just show up and buy whatever. Having to win certain cars is just an awesome experience, and motivator.

But of course like I said I understand some just don't have time.
They have time, but people are lazy. Many people here want all cars unlocked for arcade and online mode... That ruin experience for me, I want hiden cars, even hiden track like Rome night in GT2, that give thrill to the game.

They have time, but people are lazy. Many people here want all cars unlocked for arcade and online mode... That ruin experience for me, I want hiden cars, even hiden track like Rome night in GT2, that give thrill to the game.
I agree. Hidden content gives a game a certain charm it wouldn't usually have otherwise.

I'm lazy because I work many hours every week and don't want to invest my precious free time in grinding my way through portions of the game I don't enjoy, just to have access to the content I really want so I can go racing online or tune some cars. Yup, that's lazy.

I'm lazy because I work many hours every week and don't want to invest my precious free time in grinding my way through portions of the game I don't enjoy, just to have access to the content I really want so I can go racing online or tune some cars. Yup, that's lazy.
An excuse of 90% of gamers everywhere.

Im also busy and yet im still got rewarded with some progression. All content from start is probably nice for online and some testing but it has absolutely no sense of accomplishments to prolong my play time.

Its down to individual. But again almost all people these days have your statement as an excuse. Thing works way differently back then.

Eh, I think secret cars are a thing of the past at this point. While I wouldn't mind it since I love finding secrets in games and getting that reward feeling of getting a special car in the earlier GT titles; I think we should stick to having all cars available to buy at this point like it is in GT6. Although, we can still keep a prize car system to where we can earn a free car that would be expensive to buy otherwise.

Im also busy and yet im still got rewarded with some progression. All content from start is probably nice for online and some testing but it has absolutely no sense of accomplishments to prolong my play time.

Its down to individual. But again almost all people these days have your statement as an excuse. Thing works way differently back then.

It's not an excuse. People play games for fun, if a game mechanic stops them having fun then it's failed in game design. It should always be about options, allowing people to play the game the way they want to. Not restricting and telling them to play it your way. You should be able to play it how you like, with progression and unlocks, Johnny should be allowed to get straight online and use any car he likes.

It's different for the older games as they didn't have an online mode.

Lets just cut it out with the "Excuses" attacks, ok. I have a busy College schedule ontop of taking care of a dad with PTSD, a damaged Heart AND two Metal legs (all the while, he is still trying to get over losing his wife of 27 years AND pay the bills) and not once do I feel this uptight need to claim anyone that doesn't want to grind a game "Lazy". Just because I don't mind grinding the game (within reason) even with the time I have and someone doesn't while they have a job doesn't make them "Lazy". This is really a stupid and unnecessary mindset that almost rivals the immaturity of the "Console wars" and it really needs to stop. Not everyone plays the game the same way and unless it actually affects you, its none of your business to judge them.

Last edited:
...How does having secret cars in game relate to grinding?

(Reads a few posts above)

...Oh. I see.

Can't the devs do it like those old SNK brawlers, where in character select screen, you just input bunch of random joystick commands and et voila, you unlocked a secret fighter?

...God, I miss those games. Time to NeoRageEX, then. :sly:

Am working also 8 hours a day, 6 days in week. Have girlfriend on other city... So am busy to but that not a reason to have all unlocked and buyable with real cash... I simple like to play game same way like I played 20 years a go, go there unlock that, win race get a car...

Last edited:
Am working also 8 hours a day, 6 days in week. Have girlfriend on other city... So am busty to but that not a reason to have all unlocked and buyable with real cash... I simple like to play game same way like I played 20 years a go, go there unlock that, win race get a car...

Please tell me you meant to say "busy", otherwise that leaves a scarring image :ill:

Anyhow, just because you like to doesn't mean he should. Games are meant to be enjoyed, not forced on other people. If he doesn't want to spend all that time grinding, that's his choice. That's the beauty of games IS the choices you have. There is no right or wrong way to play so this idea again needs to stop being forced on others.

An excuse? An excuse for what? It's a videogame not a marriage or work commitment. Progression is not a reward for me in racing simulations. Now what? A reward for me is driving, racing and tuning. I see no reason why we can't both be accommodated and be able to play the way we want. You hit one button at the beginning of the game to go one way, I hit another and go a different way. Everyone wins, nobody loses.

They have time, but people are lazy.

People who pretend this is an argument justifying what is argued as outdated game design are the only lazy ones here. You think arbitrarily locking away and hiding game content in a game series that already has a fairly clear progression system is a good thing, especially in an online focused competitive environment, and that's fine; but come up with a reason to defend it beyond "that's how it used to be" and "those people are too lazy". It required very little effort on my part to unlock nearly every car in GT4. It required even less to do so for every car in GT5. It required nothing more than an active credit card to do so in GT6. There are people on this website who weren't even born for the last full game in the series that required the amount of investment you're saying people should have to suck up and deal with to play one of these games, so the argument doesn't even apply to the series anymore even if it wasn't pretentious to the point of uselessness to begin with.

I personally would never use an "unlock all" option nor did I spend much time online in GT5 because I like the concept of the GT offline financial-based progression structure and specifically tend to gravitate towards racing games that have it, but I've played more than enough badly designed and structured single player games that use it (including the past three titles PD have released) to understand why some people who want to play others competitively when it is an option don't want to bother. Nor am I up my own ass enough to pretend that those people that just want to play competitively can't invest far more into a game with an open option than I would with an offline GT Mode, hidden cars or not.

Last edited:
...How does having secret cars in game relate to grinding?
Apparently "grinding" is what they call "actually playing through the game instead of having everything unlocked from the start" now.
As someone who had to wait over two years for an opportunity to complete the 24 hours enduros back in GT4, I don't see "I don't have the time" as an excuse for wanting challenging, time-consuming unlockables removed from the game, or available at the start. You will always eventually have an opportunity to complete the game if you're willing to put in the effort and time. Can't spend 24 hours in front of a screen with a controller? The mid-race save function is for you.
Hell, I don't even really mind the idea of having all the cars available from the start in online mode, as long as the simulation mode remains as progressive and game-like as it was in the first four games.

As someone who had to wait over two years for an opportunity to complete the 24 hours enduros back in GT4, I don't see "I don't have the time" as an excuse for wanting challenging, time-consuming unlockables removed from the game, or available at the start.
The two most recent GTs have had ludicrously boring chase the rabbit "races" that are more frustrating to sit through than fun. If the races were fun, then I wouldn't really care if the cars required unlocking, but if the races turn out to be boring as they have in GT5 and GT6, then I'd rather be able to get the cars from the start so I can do time trials or online racing or whatever it is that is actually fun and enjoyable.

As it were in GT6, the races were flat out boring. It's not entertainment like you would expect from a game.

Not everyone plays the game the same way and unless it actually affects you, its none of your business to judge them.
Couldn't agree more. I only play when I have at least an hour of free time, and between school and home stuff, I hardly have time to do anything.

The two most recent GTs have had ludicrously boring chase the rabbit "races" that are more frustrating to sit through than fun. If the races were fun, then I wouldn't really care if the cars required unlocking, but if the races turn out to be boring as they have in GT5 and GT6, then I'd rather be able to get the cars from the start so I can do time trials or online racing or whatever it is that is actually fun and enjoyable.

As it were in GT6, the races were flat out boring. It's not entertainment like you would expect from a game.
I haven't really bothered to play that much into any of the games past GT4 so far (I don't even own GT6 yet), due in no small part to the disappointing career modes. If anything, that's a sign that career modes in future GT titles need major improvement over the recent releases. GT4 had the best single-player mode out of any GT hands down IMO, and they should really focus on surpassing that level of quality in 7.

Of course you don't. Only someone with lots of free time would be able to make nine completely different threads saying how much of a necessity it is for the GT series to go back to having hidden cars without actually saying why.
Those threads you linked from when I was 14 and kind of a dumbass, but feel free to dig them up in any case.
None of that changes the fact that hidden cars (or in general, hidden things) in video games are just plain fun.

Back