Shooting at the Pennsylvania Republican Presidential Election Rally

• Thread starter TheCracker
  • 400 comments
Yeah, the guy who attacks everyone including his own party online, shares aggressive rhetoric at his rallies & posts pictures created by his supporters depicting his political opponent in life threatening situations has definitely not contributed to said hysteria/tension....
Uh Huh Whatever GIF by Bounce

It's like the dumb woman they interviewed leaving his rally going, "Where did all this hate come from?" as she wears a Know Your Parasites shirt attacking Biden.

Yeah, the guy who attacks everyone including his own party online, shares aggressive rhetoric at his rallies & posts pictures created by his supporters depicting his political opponent in life threatening situations
Why are people so mean?

Implied by who? There isn't set in stone meaning for "armed to the teeth", but its definitely not the case in UK. You guys have strange habit to concentrate on wording and not meaning of what was said.

Both are tools. Both are deadly in wrong hands or in situation of malfunction. In case of both home defense and personal transportation there are alternatives with lower deaths rates.

Well, US in general has some horrible gun ownership culture, I don't think anyone should target it. Central Europe and Switzerland are definitely better in that.
There is very much a definition, as previosly explained. And when describing a country as armed to the teeth, one would typically be talking about civilians being armed or their military power.

The context of this discussion was civilians being armed, given an armed civilian is at the root of it. So don't try to move the goalposts now.

You could just have not picked up on my accurate comments about Switzerland and avoided being proven wrong again.

Last edited:
I just checked and it looks like there are even more legal firearms per capita in Austria than in Switzerland. But tbh I never heard anyone saying that Austrians are "armed to the teeth".
Guess, Austria is sleeper in that race 🤣
one would typically be talking about their military power
Militia/army reserve is military power, big part of civilian owned guns in Switzerland are military grade rifles of people in reserve.

Watched video of assassination - Trump definitely has balls of steel or whole thing is set up. ****ing berserk if not setup.

Last edited:
What a strange thing that has happened. I was outside choring yesterday, and my mind started running news stories over the past couple weeks. The repeated threats about civil war 2.0, Projects 2025’s manifesto, and the whole…it will be bloodless, if the left stays in their place..trash talking.. which has emanated from every tier of right wingers, and happily published ad nauseam, by our billionaire driven media.

Anyway.. it really seemed as if they were leaning into the intimidation by violence thing, and..welp.. when you keep ordering something..eventually you get it. And they have requesting and celebrating this sort of behavior for a while(Pelosi’s husband as an easy example). Subsequently, play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Academically, it does pose an interesting paradigm. For decades folks have posited the question; if you could go back in time and kill hitler, would you? Because presently, the US and republican party, and world events in general, economically and politically, appear similar enough to a century ago, that the question has legs.

More info on the shooter will be interesting. Im very surprised that it was a kid. Especially one from rural pa, which leans more right wing

Ps: i think we should stop using, conservative,’ when referring to republicans. Trumpers are about as radical as it gets. Did you guys see that interview of the woman on msnbc, who was in the car leaving post shooting. She was about 50 and wow…full wild eyed cult-y and crazy. Like some jam band reject who had finally found a new clan 🤦‍♂️

I didn't state that Dems shoot in Trump, but they created unhealthy environment where average Joe is between DevilHimselfTrump and grandpa with dementia.

No matter what you believe in, hysteria is pushing you to the extremes. Thats bad.
Annnnd… you say the Democrats are to blame for that?

You blatantly cherry picking, from same source you posted

Cherry Picking? Not so much, pointing out that the use of the phrase the main characteristic of its meaning is “Carrying”

If a person walks down the street with a weapon of any kind we’d say they’re “Armed”

If a person walks down the street with multiple weapons we may use the phrase “Armed to the Teeth”

If two or more countries are at war and using a lot weapons against each other we could use the phrase “Armed to the Teeth” because we’d be implying that those weapons are being carried and used.

If two or more countries are posturing but not at war then the phrase “Armed for War” is better as they’re not using or carrying those weapons. (Yes before we get into semantics most countries are at a status of readiness for a conflict and while training etc then yes they carry those weapons)

If a country has a high weapon per capita I wouldn’t use the phrase “Armed to the Teeth” to describe that country. That’s me personally being a native English speaker (a poor one at that). In other countries who speak English they may use the phrase differently, incorrectly but that’s fine, wrong, but fine.

Last edited:
It's weird how much the right-wing media is trying to paint the shooter as "a militant left-winger" because he donated $15 to a liberal PAC when he was 16. It's hard to say if the kid even knew what he was donating too in that moment or if he did it because he wanted to hook up with some girl associated with it (I've been there). We need to remember the last time a president had an attempted assassination, the dude was trying to impress Jodie Foster.

It's still weird there isn't more info on the shooter though. I can Google anyone and get everything from their voting records to their credit report for a couple of bucks. The fact that news agencies don't have the kid's life story yet is suspect, especially since they've looked deep enough to know his campaign contributions.

I do enjoy the conspiracy theories around it though. No, I don't think Biden ordered the hit (although he'd be immune) but I could see it being some sort of government plot to get rid of Trump. I still believe the CIA killed JFK and I could see the same thing being here. Granted, it's not the simplest explanation and is definitely out there in left field. The other plausible conspiracy theory is that the shooter was influenced from a foreign power. We already know the Russkis interfere in our elections so maybe this is the next step. But leave it to the bumbling idiots Moscow to influence Budda T. Redneck who can't hit a fat ass target from 165 yds.

Still, using Occam's Razor, the simplest explanation is that the kid just wanted to be famous and target someone high profile and Trump was a target of opportunity but it's interesting to go down other rabbit holes.

It's weird how much the right-wing media is trying to paint the shooter as "a militant left-winger" because he donated $15 to a liberal PAC when he was 16. It's hard to say if the kid even knew what he was donating too in that moment or if he did it because he wanted to hook up with some girl associated with it (I've been there). We need to remember the last time a president had an attempted assassination, the dude was trying to impress Jodie Foster.

It's still weird there isn't more info on the shooter though. I can Google anyone and get everything from their voting records to their credit report for a couple of bucks. The fact that news agencies don't have the kid's life story yet is suspect, especially since they've looked deep enough to know his campaign contributions.

I do enjoy the conspiracy theories around it though. No, I don't think Biden ordered the hit (although he'd be immune) but I could see it being some sort of government plot to get rid of Trump. I still believe the CIA killed JFK and I could see the same thing being here. Granted, it's not the simplest explanation and is definitely out there in left field. The other plausible conspiracy theory is that the shooter was influenced from a foreign power. We already know the Russkis interfere in our elections so maybe this is the next step. But leave it to the bumbling idiots Moscow to influence Budda T. Redneck who can't hit a fat ass target from 165 yds.

Still, using Occam's Razor, the simplest explanation is that the kid just wanted to be famous and target someone high profile and Trump was a target of opportunity but it's interesting to go down other rabbit holes.
Even if Biden was behind it, the Supreme Court couldn't do anything about it since they stupidly gave a pass to this "as long as it is official" 2 weeks ago. Biden was definitely not behind it.

Militia/army reserve is military power, big part of civilian owned guns in Switzerland are military grade rifles of people in reserve.
Define "big part", give me a percentage. And does that make your point any less wrong/irrelevant?

Do you even know how many reservists Switzerland has? Do you know what thier total population is and what their gun ownership rates are? Do you know what the laws controlling gun ownership are and understand how incomparable they are to the US?

Let me remind you, you picked me up on my post, not the other way round.

Last edited:
Implied by who? There isn't set in stone meaning for "armed to the teeth", but its definitely not the case in UK. You guys have strange habit to concentrate on wording and not meaning of what was said.
We have an entire science devoted to the meaning of words, it’s called semantics. And semantics is so important that when people argue using the wrong words they often brush it off with the phrase, “it’s just semantics.” Well, yeah, it semantics and it’s pretty important otherwise the sky would be down and the grass would be purple. Simultaneously, the meaning of language changes depending on a lot of factors and studying that is part of what semantics studies. Hell, I could suggest that “armed to the teeth” means they’ve got arms attached to the sides of their mouth, but that would be a ridiculous interpretation. Or would it?

If anything, it's someone from Trump's team ordered the shooting (not killing) to seal the victory and guarantee future republican dominance and potentially final election. Just was a bit closer than they wanted I bet, but I guess either way they would guarantee future republican presidency and all the goodies that come with it. Basically same thing happened in Brazil 2018. The stabbing that sealed Bolsonaro's win and other tactics had Bannon and his team behind it. Obviously it's hard to prove any of this, but this "event" only benefits one party.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced this will push undecided voters (who are these people?) to vote for him. At this point, anyone undecided about Trump must have, in the very least, very deep reservations about him (probably because he was a remarkably awful President) and I don't think this changes that fact.

Bolsonaro had not already been president in 2018, which I think is a pretty important distinction.

I'm not convinced this will push undecided voters (who are these people?) to vote for him. At this point, anyone undecided about Trump must have, in the very least, very deep reservations about him (probably because he was a remarkably awful President) and I don't think this changes that fact.

Bolsonaro had not already been president in 2018, which I think is a pretty important distinction.
Eh...it definitely does. I'm not saying every one of them will vote for Trump/Republican now, but basically a lot of news are going to paint it as potential government/Biden plot to take out a rival, which is now going to paint democrats/Biden as even bigger criminals than Trump. At least he didn't try to kill someone (as far as we know), so he's going to look "better" now even if he is a proven criminal. So yeah, either way this went (killed/not killed) it was always going republican's way.

Hell, I could suggest that “armed to the teeth” means they’ve got arms attached to the sides of their mouth, but that would be a ridiculous interpretation. Or would it?
Would that not be armed to the cheeks :P. I'll get my big outer layerery thing with a hood.

Last edited:
Eh...it definitely does. I'm not saying every one of them will vote for Trump/Republican now, but basically a lot of news are going to paint it as potential government/Biden plot to take out a rival, which is now going to paint democrats/Biden as even bigger criminals than Trump. At least he didn't try to kill someone (as far as we know), so he's going to look "better" now even if he is a proven criminal. So yeah, either way this went (killed/not killed) it was always going republican's way.
Which news? Fox News, OAN, Newsmax sure. But the people who watch that are not on the fence. I'm trying to think of somebody who is trying to rationally decide who to vote for. If they haven't already jumped down the rabbit hole after 8 years, is this going to do it? I'm not saying it won't happen, I'm just saying I don't think it matters as much as everyone seems to be indicating - obviously I could be wrong.

Which news? Fox News, OAN, Newsmax sure. But the people who watch that are not on the fence. I'm trying to think of somebody who is trying to rationally decide who to vote for. If they haven't already jumped down the rabbit hole after 8 years, is this going to do it? I'm not saying it won't happen, I'm just saying I don't think it matters as much as everyone seems to be indicating - obviously I could be wrong.
Don't underestimate how fickle many people can be. Not everyone spends time considering their options and the pro's and cons like you do and many in this discussion I assume also do.

Edit: I would love you to be right by the way, but my faith in humanity is slim and rational isn't a word I would use to descible people en-masse. Reactionary is more a word I would go for.

Last edited:
I'm glad this thread got split off so 40% of it could be divided up between someone saying how he could express his political opinions (which are definitely better than yours btw) but he doesn't care enough to do so in any of his dozen posts; and the guy who tells politically active Americans how their government works telling native English speakers what English idioms mean.

Last edited:
Back