Show off your latest purchase!

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 36,630 comments
TB
I'm wrapping up day three so now's as good a time as any for an opinion.

Sound
They aren't going to knock your socks off but they're respectable. There's essentially no low end but you can still make out things like an upright bass string being plucked. High end is a little sharp but not so much that it's distracting.

Battery Life
I charged them on my way into work on Tuesday. I've listened to them for a minimum of 4 hours each day over the last 3 days at a volume on my laptop of 20. Whenever I've gone to grab a print out of the printer or made a quick trip to the bathroom I've left them on my desk but didn't turn them off. The couple of times I've left my building or when I've gone to lunch, they have been turned off.

All that said, Windows is showing them at 60% still. Pretty amazing considering their own documentation says they have a 6 hour battery life, but that's at 70% volume.

Bluetooth connection
I've left them on when refilling my water bottle and they've stayed connected over 35 feet away and through a wall. That's more than enough for my uses.

Comfort
While I usually only wear them for about an hour at a time before they're off for one reason or another, I was concerned about them as bit as my son said someone he works with has a pair and said they give him a headache from the pressure. With the way I've used them, thankfully that hasn't been an issue.

Other
Keep in mind that I'm using them in an office setting. I have no idea how any of the above would be affected by using them while riding a bike outside or somewhere noisier but I'd wager that the experience wouldn't be great. In a fairly quiet office where you still need to be present, they've been great.

A co-worker has a pair of bone conduction headphones (a different brand) and he said he needs to have his cranked up to be able to hear them. He tried mine and said they're much better so all of the above is apparently subject to change given the brand. I sent him a link to the mine and he said he's buying a pair tonight. :lol:

Let me know if you have anything else you're curious about.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like the us would be pretty good for my job.

I sometimes have to wear a headset when working so I can contact companies and also participate in team talks via Microsoft Teams. The headset I have at the moment really hurts my ears after an hour or more of wear.

I’ll have to see if there are any with a microphone built in.

I bought my last two pairs of glasses from eyeglassboy.com and loved them. They sent out an email last March about bringing back one of their designs called Socrates, but not putting them on the website. They made a limited run of 50 each in six different colors, so they were only offering them to previous customers on their mailing list. Fortunately, they still had a pair in my preferred color of Honey. They arrived today. Now I just have to get a new prescription and put lenses in them.
View attachment 1285793
View attachment 1285794

These are the glasses I got from them about seven years ago. Even after seven years, I still get compliments.
Regular glasses (Zylite in copper):
View attachment 1285798
View attachment 1285800

Prescription sunglasses (Tampico in demi-amber):
View attachment 1285797
View attachment 1285799
Those aren’t comic books!

53171497818_3789d1d64f_o-jpg.1285794
We've done this before and, yes, I'm absolutely going to ignore the other pictures:

Gaben!? :lol:

Can I have a Steam gift card?

I bought my last two pairs of glasses from eyeglassboy.com and loved them. They sent out an email last March about bringing back one of their designs called Socrates, but not putting them on the website...
Wow, they really transform you into Socrates, beard and all?

I've been using the controller that came with my Series S for my PC, but was getting annoyed I couldn't use it wirelessly without it connecting to the Xbox right away. So I went and bought one for dedicated PC play.
20230910_173345.jpg

...and I was itching for a fun color too, so I got the Deep Pink model. I also saw Razer makes charging stands in matching colors for all the current Xbox controller colors (including the special editions like Stellar Shift and 20th Anniversary), so naturally I got a pink one of those too..

So I went and bought one for dedicated PC play.
8Bitdo and Gamesir making awesome Xbox ripoffs for PC. Same package, but with back buttons, remapping tool, awesome arrows and Hall effect sensors. For 70$.

Same tech available for Xbox, but wired only. 45$

Do you like the bottom freezer section?
Our new house has one and I find I can’t fit as much into this one.
We had to buy a chest freezer to accommodate the frozen stuff.

Do you like the bottom freezer section?
Our new house has one and I find I can’t fit as much into this one.
We had to buy a chest freezer to accommodate the frozen stuff.
Our current refrigerator has a bottom freezer and I liked it a lot more than the side by side we had at the last house. Those are just too skinny to fit larger items like pizza.

That said, the house was built with a bar area so there's a second (but significantly cheaper) refrigerator in the basement. Even with that, we also have a chest freezer.

And in the winter we can just throw things outside. :lol:

TB
I'm wrapping up day three so now's as good a time as any for an opinion.

Sound
They aren't going to knock your socks off but they're respectable. There's essentially no low end but you can still make out things like an upright bass string being plucked. High end is a little sharp but not so much that it's distracting.

Battery Life
I charged them on my way into work on Tuesday. I've listened to them for a minimum of 4 hours each day over the last 3 days at a volume on my laptop of 20. Whenever I've gone to grab a print out of the printer or made a quick trip to the bathroom I've left them on my desk but didn't turn them off. The couple of times I've left my building or when I've gone to lunch, they have been turned off.

All that said, Windows is showing them at 60% still. Pretty amazing considering their own documentation says they have a 6 hour battery life, but that's at 70% volume.

Bluetooth connection
I've left them on when refilling my water bottle and they've stayed connected over 35 feet away and through a wall. That's more than enough for my uses.

Comfort
While I usually only wear them for about an hour at a time before they're off for one reason or another, I was concerned about them as bit as my son said someone he works with has a pair and said they give him a headache from the pressure. With the way I've used them, thankfully that hasn't been an issue.

Other
Keep in mind that I'm using them in an office setting. I have no idea how any of the above would be affected by using them while riding a bike outside or somewhere noisier but I'd wager that the experience wouldn't be great. In a fairly quiet office where you still need to be present, they've been great.

A co-worker has a pair of bone conduction headphones (a different brand) and he said he needs to have his cranked up to be able to hear them. He tried mine and said they're much better so all of the above is apparently subject to change given the brand. I sent him a link to the mine and he said he's buying a pair tonight. :lol:

Let me know if you have anything else you're curious about.
Update, @Sprite

My headphones just alerted me that they finally needed a charge. It's been 5 working days so they lasted me a week of regular use. Considering I was alright with the expected 6 hours and was just goingtocharge them daily, a full week is amazing.

TB
Update, @Sprite

My headphones just alerted me that they finally needed a charge. It's been 5 working days so they lasted me a week of regular use. Considering I was alright with the expected 6 hours and was just goingtocharge them daily, a full week is amazing.
Fantastic. It’s always nice when things work out better. It’s not often these days so all the more excellent.

I bought more video game controllers.

Nintendo Gamecube Controllers: 1 in Indigo Blue (finally got that color after so many years) and 1 in Indigo Blue/Clear.
20230915_213437.jpg

I didn't know an Indigo/clear color existed until I saw this on Ebay.
20230915_213428.jpg
20230915_213432.jpg

Also for the heck of it, here's a group shop of every GC controller I have. The black controller is actually the one I had the longest and originally got its thumb grip broken off, but I fixed it.
20230915_213415.jpg

I also recently bought these two Xbox controllers due to a sale on ebay. They were on sale for $37.50 or something and there was a deal of buying one and getting the other at a bigger discount price. So, I only paid a little over $60 for these.
20230915_214051.jpg

and a group shot with my other controllers. I had an original, black one; but it's currently misplaced. To note about the older, white one; it has a faded joystick grip and has joystick drift.
20230915_214028.jpg

and within the past few weeks; I bought some Dualshock 2s. The top-right red one is a counterfeit and I bought it by mistake, I decided to keep it as I just thought it would be fun to have a cheap imitation around. I bought the 2nd blue controller and yellow controller as a bundle.
20230915_214438.jpg

One funny thing I learned when buying that bundle is that the blue DS2 is actually not the same blue as the other blue DS2 I had bought earlier. It's a slight difference you don't notice until you compare them; ocean blue and midnight blue.
20230915_214509.jpg

and that's the end of my crazy controller buying. I'm going to stop now as this was crazy.

Last edited:
I bought more video game controllers.

Nintendo Gamecube Controllers: 1 in Indigo Blue (finally got that color after so many years) and 1 in Indigo Blue/Clear.
View attachment 1287475

I didn't know an Indigo/clear color existed until I saw this on Ebay.
View attachment 1287473View attachment 1287474

Also for the heck of it, here's a group shop of every GC controller I have. The black controller is actually the one I had the longest and originally got its thumb grip broken off, but I fixed it.
View attachment 1287476

I also recently bought these two Xbox controllers due to a sale on ebay. They were on sale for $37.50 or something and there was a deal of buying one and getting the other at a bigger discount price. So, I only paid a little over $60 for these.
View attachment 1287477

and a group shot with my other controllers. I had an original, black one; but it's currently misplaced. To note about the older, white one; it has a faded joystick grip and has joystick drift.
View attachment 1287479

and within the past few weeks; I bought some Dualshock 2s. The top-right red one is a counterfeit and I bought it by mistake, I decided to keep it as I just thought it would be fun to have a cheap imitation around. I bought the 2nd blue controller and yellow controller as a bundle.
View attachment 1287480

One funny thing I learned when buying that bundle is that the blue DS2 is actually not the same blue as the other blue DS2 I had bought earlier. It's a slight difference you don't notice until you compare them; ocean blue and midnight blue.
View attachment 1287481

and that's the end of my crazy controller buying. I'm going to stop now as this was crazy.
What do you do with them? Do you have a lot of friends to play with?

What do you do with them? Do you have a lot of friends to play with?
Play with a different one each game session, though I imagine I could use them for multiplayer sessions with friends. With the Xbox controllers, I just divide them up based on what system to play on. Some go to my aging Xbox one and others are used on my PC for Steam or the Xbox app.

Although I could have friends with play them with once I get fully used to the new area I'm living in.

Back