Show off your latest purchase!

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 36,632 comments
BEER

05052009586.jpg

Good beer too.

No, not good BEER, good ALE :sly:

Ramps for raising a car so you can squeeze underneath. They're a bit more sturdy than a jack. Think of them as a jackless alternative to axel stands.

Aren't they supposed to have a flat bit at the top?

Some do, some don't. I chose ones with a shallower slope than many of the flat-topped ones, because it leaves me open for future car purchases should they have less ground clearance than my current car, or should I choose to lower anything and find it doesn't like going over steep slopes.

I intend to chock whichever wheels aren't up in the air anyway so it doesn't matter whether the raised wheels are on a flat or a slightly angled surface.

They're nice and sturdy anyway, each has a safe limit of 1000kg and my whole car weighs less than that so they should have no problems with lifting just less than 300kg each, which is I think the rough corner weight for the front end (at a guess - assuming there's just over 60% of the car's weight at the front with the kerb weight of the car being 937kg).

Picked this up for a bargain at the shops today. Looking forward to going home after work and having a crack at it.

934ucw.jpg

Some do, some don't. I chose ones with a shallower slope than many of the flat-topped ones, because it leaves me open for future car purchases should they have less ground clearance than my current car, or should I choose to lower anything and find it doesn't like going over steep slopes.
But surely there's the chance the ramps could slide out from under the car...

[EDIT] Or not, they aren't that steep on second look. Handbrake, first gear, chocks. Should be more than enough.

But surely there's the chance the ramps could slide out from under the car...

[EDIT] Or not, they aren't that steep on second look. Handbrake, first gear, chocks. Should be more than enough.

Yup. And bear in mind that they're not really going to slide anywhere with circa 300kg on each. That's still quite a bit of weight being pushed downwards.

And yeah, the angle on the top bit of the ramp is proably no more than 5 degrees off 180.

Yup. And bear in mind that they're not really going to slide anywhere with circa 300kg on each. That's still quite a bit of weight being pushed downwards.

And yeah, the angle on the top bit of the ramp is proably no more than 5 degrees off 180.
Give me the angle, weights and coefficient of friction and I'll do the calc :D

I've never really been a fan of ramps - I've found sometimes you can just push them along the ground whilst trying to drive up them. Sure, you could put something behind them, but a jack + axle stands = why bother with ramps?

Got almost $50 for my school book today, so I went looking for some gems:

305952-streetsk8box_large.jpg
482029-gran_turismo_cover_north_america_large.jpg

I have very fond memories of playing Street Sk8er back in the day. Very arcady, even compared to Tony Hawk, but very fun. I started the GT series with 2, so I felt I needed to get the original.

g12066px12l.jpg
g22651w9f9h.jpg

I've been meaning to get these games for a while. Skateboarding was especially difficult to track down. I've heard about NY's technical problems, so I figured buying it on Xbox would probably be safer than PS2.

g19414pqu4f.jpg

It's supposed to be one of the best Xbox games.

No, not yet, but I should have a PS3 this summer. I'd still buy old games though. The good ones will always be fun, no matter how much graphics improve.

I played X-Games Skateboarding for a few minutes, and it's not nearly as good as I was expecting. The controls feel like a poor copy of Tony Hawk, but with less freedom in controlling your skater.

Just bought two beat up Saarinen Tulip chairs for 10$ each. They're in bad shape, need a big resto and aren't real to begin with. Either way, at the end they'll still be worth more than I paid for them, not to mention I can probably use them somewhere in a school project:

102-54.jpg

Naruto goodies, one of the things is this keychain:
nar114.jpg

And some Street Fighter 4 Posters, including this one:
cammysf4552x725.jpg

TB
Curse you and your private premier party! :lol:

I expect pictures and stories afterwards. :D

100_3541.jpg

Night in the museum. ;)

100_3537.jpg

One Romulan Ale please...

100_3539.jpg

100_3535.jpg

100_3536.jpg

The Austin Wind Symphony performing the music from Star Trek... and brilliantly I must add. 👍

100_3522.jpg

Start Trekin' Improve Comedy Group

100_3524.jpg

They had several miniature models from various ST sets

100_3528.jpg

Uh... wrong movie dude. ;)

100_3529.jpg

Someone should warn them about the curse of the red shirt. :D

100_3550.jpg

100_3547.jpg

100_3552.jpg

100_3548.jpg

100_3556.jpg

100_3557.jpg

100_3558.jpg

100_3560.jpg

100_3563.jpg

Was a great night... and an amazingly entertaining movie... and a pretty nice goody bag as well 👍

Last edited:
*multiple snips*

Was a great night... and an amazingly entertaining movie... and a pretty nice goody bag as well 👍
Looks like an awesome time, D-N! All we've had here (I think) is watching Fargo outside.

In March.

At night.

----------

While getting all my summer stuff out and set up last weekend, I decided it was time for a new grill (funny how you come to those conclusions when you open the lid and the burner is mostly rusted). Oddly enough, the new issue of Consumer Reports had come that day and had grills reviewed. Taking that as a sign (and my wife saying that I could :P), today I headed over to Home Depot and picked it up.

e965d808-58e1-4066-8b6d-df0f12b37c2f_300.jpg

Brinkmann 810-8410-S

Edit: I also grabbed Uncharted. Finally. :rolleyes:

Today's purchases:
Puma Cat Woven Jacket on sale.
pisa2

Puma SF Ferrari Jacket...not on sale, but had to have it.
pisa2

And for the first time I have ever seen it, a Top Gear Season DVD! :dopey:
TopGear_S10.jpg

I had always wondered if there were any Top Gear Seasons on DVD, and I'm glad to see there is at least one. Hopefully, seasons 11, 12 & any previous ones will be released here.

Reventón;3391337
And for the first time I have ever seen it, a Top Gear Season DVD! :dopey:
TopGear_S10.jpg

I had always wondered if there were any Top Gear Seasons on DVD, and I'm glad to see there is at least one. Hopefully, seasons 11, 12 & any previous ones will be released here.

Awesome! Where did you find it?

I've always wanted complete Top Gear seasons on DVD as well. My DVR is full of recorded Top Gear episodes that I'd like to erase. I just can't do it until I have a hard copy.

Back